The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2021, 02:38 AM   #1
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Sorry Buddy

Well a close friend and business partner wanted and a SS white Daytona. In the past I have managed these things, ( way in the past). I told him it was not possible, it would take way to much money and time. So then I told him just to go grey. He said he don’t have problem going grey but simply can’t afford to spend 35k on a 14k watch. He simply does not have that type of disposable income. So I thought about this for awhile. I do know a AD that will sell a SS white Daytona, and they are very blunt on what you have to buy in order to get one. You basically have to spend around 30k on other items, then you have the privilege of buying said watch. Now I don’t agree with this, as I never been force to buy to get what I want. I do spend money on my regular AD and have a great relationship with them too, but as we all know, you simply can’t bring all your buddies to the table. So here is the deal.

Buy 4 Tudor’s priced around +\- 5K GMT, 58, chrono whatever they have in stock,
Buy 1 JLC ( they do have moon face reverso in stock blue/white) 12k ish

Receive a SS White Daytona plus a no date black sub.

The plan is charge everything and sell off the Tudor’s at a loss, (around $1300 each loss) as well as the reverso and probably make a little something on the sub,
Then pay off his CC. I know some here may think this is taboo or whatever, but how is a regular working stiff supposed to acquire a 14k watch . This will be his one and only watch in his lifetime. So drastic times call for drastic measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:40 AM   #2
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post
Well a close friend and business partner wanted and a SS white Daytona. In the past I have managed these things, ( way in the past). I told him it was not possible, it would take way to much money and time. So then I told him just to go grey. He said he don’t have problem going grey but simply can’t afford to spend 35k on a 14k watch. He simply does not have that type of disposable income. So I thought about this for awhile. I do know a AD that will sell a SS white Daytona, and they are very blunt on what you have to buy in order to get one. You basically have to spend around 30k on other items, then you have the privilege of buying said watch. Now I don’t agree with this, as I never been force to buy to get what I want. I do spend money on my regular AD and have a great relationship with them too, but as we all know, you simply can’t bring all your buddies to the table. So here is the deal.

The plan is charge everything and sell off the Tudor’s at a loss, (around $1300 each loss) as well as the reverso and probably make a little something on the sub,
Then pay off his CC. I know some here may think this is taboo or whatever, but how is a regular working stiff supposed to acquire a 14k watch . This will be his one and only watch in his lifetime. So drastic times call for drastic measures.

I don’t even know what to say to this lol

HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:49 AM   #3
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

I would go for the deal if your AD does guarantee that a SS daytona plus sub. Guess u can make some profit.

Where it is, I am on it, haha.

It is sad to hear that indeed but this is what we have to deal with in such crazy market.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:42 AM   #4
*M5
"TRF" Member

I would do it. I wish more dealers were so up front. Seriously.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:51 AM   #5
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *m5 View Post
i would do it. I wish more dealers were so up front. Seriously.

Sent from my pixel 5 using tapatalk
+1
Old 2 October 2021, 02:54 AM   #6
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Sorry Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
+1

+100. Wish dealers were like this. But i understand you have this level of trust with them because of your previous relationship with the AD. Good on you. And yes. Would 100% do that deal.

Old 2 October 2021, 02:45 AM   #7
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Honestly, that’s the most upfront and clear a dealer can be and not that bad. Some people spend may more and get nothing. Most ADs will not be so clear and pretend that they are above such practices because they are worried about saying this to a blabber mouth.

I will also add that the Daytona is a great watch but maybe not worh the market price, to me.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #8
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Get in in writing or you are out $30k in junk jewelry you didnt want.
Old 2 October 2021, 02:48 AM   #9
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

My guess is that they’ll give it to him all together

HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:08 AM   #10
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post

Yes, all in one swoop

Old 2 October 2021, 11:02 PM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post

My guess is they won’t, cause they don’t have Daytona’s lying around. He might get the next one, or they might just say he’ll get the next one and wait. I’d want all of it in writing as well as time frames.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:46 PM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
This!
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:53 PM   #13
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
It's a watch.....the schemes, and the criminal imagination of these some of these FOMO's is so childish it's shocking!

In the short two years I've been on this forum it's become Romper Room, IMO.......
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:50 AM   #14
Beto737
"TRF" Member

I think it’s a decent plan. I’m surprised that it would only take $30k to get you into a white dial 116500LN and a Submariner! In my neck of the woods that would only yield a regular black submariner if you’re lucky.

In my market you’d be looking at at least $100k to get on a SAs real list of interested buyers. However, it’s still a relatively small amount compared to the Orca whales we have around here. Thus, you could be waiting for many years. How many? Nobody really knows.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:51 AM   #15
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post

How about buy them all then return the Tudors. Completely entitled to a refund

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:05 AM   #16
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
That's why this alleged Daytona wouldn't show up until well after the return policy
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:10 AM   #17
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That would be funny!

Old 2 October 2021, 11:25 AM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Great idea Ricky.

I bet the AD hasn’t thought of that.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:29 PM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
The law (certainly here in the Uk) does not cover changing your mind. The AD will be wise to this and should point out the sale is final, or mark receipt accordingly.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:17 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The law (certainly here in the Uk) does not cover changing your mind. The AD will be wise to this and should point out the sale is final, or mark receipt accordingly.
What if the buyer said the AD coerced him into the deal? UK consumer laws seem pretty consumer friendly.
Old 2 October 2021, 06:46 PM   #21
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Old Expat Beast;11734827]What if the buyer said the AD coerced him into the deal? UK consumer laws seem pretty consumer friendly.[/QUOTE

I thought it covered in the UK but may change after Brexit. Online shopping def can change or ask for refund for any reasons
Old 3 October 2021, 04:47 PM   #22
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What if the buyer said the AD coerced him into the deal? UK consumer laws seem pretty consumer friendly.
The right to change your mind is given by many UK businesses, but it not legally required. Exceptions are online/distance sale. Of course being faulty or not as described or fit for purpose is covered.

As for being coerced, that’s a totally different argument and I’m sure with that allegation, the whole deal would be reversed to save any negative publicity. However the whole deal would be reversed, not just return certain items.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 11:10 PM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The right to change your mind is given by many UK businesses, but it not legally required. Exceptions are online/distance sale. Of course being faulty or not as described or fit for purpose is covered.

As for being coerced, that’s a totally different argument and I’m sure with that allegation, the whole deal would be reversed to save any negative publicity. However the whole deal would be reversed, not just return certain items.
Let's also not forget that what is legal, and what is permissible under the Rolex franchise agreement, are entirely different. While Rolex may prohibit such, there's absolutely nothing illegal about being offered a package of goods, take it or leave it. Like buying a suit and saying "I really just wanted the jacket and was 'coerced' into buying the pants, too."
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:57 AM   #24
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

I don't understand why the AD would do this?

White Daytona is a bigger draw than that...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:44 AM   #25
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I was kinda thinking the same.

If I understand correctly spend around an extra 32-33k to get a 116500 and a 126040. So total haul 32k plus 8100 and 13150 for 53-54k total.

Well if wanted the 116500 and 126040 could probably be sold combined for around the same of the total haul not counting the money for the other 5 watches. But obviously he wants to keep the Daytona but even with that he is still probably ok. Geez thats alot of work and thought.

Would I do that exact same deal? I dont know. Alot of work but this is what all of our T S here do all day. More power to em. I got to much going on in my life to deal with a deal like this but if I didnt I'd probably do it.
Old 2 October 2021, 07:14 AM   #26
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Would I do that exact same deal? I dont know. Alot of work but this is what all of our T S here do all day. More power to em. I got to much going on in my life to deal with a deal like this but if I didnt I'd probably do it.
Sort of agree. Also have to factor in the cost of traveling to the AD to pick up the watches.

At the end of the day, it’s a good deal. But sounds very stressful, requires a lot of work, and a lot could go wrong.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:11 AM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
I was kinda thinking the same.

If I understand correctly spend around an extra 32-33k to get a 116500 and a 126040. So total haul 32k plus 8100 and 13150 for 53-54k total.

Well if wanted the 116500 and 126040 could probably be sold combined for around the same of the total haul not counting the money for the other 5 watches. But obviously he wants to keep the Daytona but even with that he is still probably ok. Geez thats alot of work and thought.

My first thought was: wow, I’d totally do that… but I’d sell the Daytona and two Tudors so I could have a Sub, two Tudors and a JLC for like $8,000…
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:59 AM   #28
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
My first thought was: wow, I’d totally do that… but I’d sell the Daytona and two Tudors so I could have a Sub, two Tudors and a JLC for like $8,000…
Even better plan.

I have a few Daytona’s and for me the hype has made this watch something’s it’s not. That’s me referring to my 523, 520, and a 500.

So if Daytona’s are not all that and bag of chips why do I own 3? Different times and well I do “like” them. Even went Grey on 2 of them but when they weren’t in the 30’s and 40’s. Teens and low 20’s. Even got the 523 way back when new and ordered from an A D for 12,100 otd. Still have the receipt. And I might add I’m after a 116505 or a 116515 but only if my A D calls. Came real close last month. One guy ahead of me.

It’s a great watch don’t get me wrong but for what people have to do, this thread included, is pure nuts. It’s light, wears small, no date, kinda hard to read, and I don’t have any need for a Chrono function.
Old 3 October 2021, 03:34 AM   #29
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Right, exactly
Only 30k spend on Tudor to get a ss Daytona?

I was offered a SS Daytona on the spot in Mexico with $100k spend in 2019 - market has soared since then.

If the AD will sell them all at once, it’s a no brainer
If the AD promises the watch will come later - scary.
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:02 AM   #30
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
That's not a bad deal considering current market prices.

However, I don't know if I would do all that on a credit card.

What if he is stuck with some debt he can't pay?

Then the interest can turn that into more and more debt.

All for a watch.

If he had the cash, maybe.
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote