The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2023, 01:33 AM   #1
shudder
"TRF" Member

Should clasp on 1989 jubilee bracelet come unhooked catching on cuff?

I recently bought a very nice Datejust with a jubilee band and adjusted it a little to fit my wrist. I didn't remove any links, but slid the bracelet end further into the underside of the clasp (2 sets of holes between end of bracelet and the folding clasp connection, if that makes sense...). Anyway, it fits perfectly but I've noticed it's not as strong and secure as I might like. A few times in the past 2 weeks I've felt the watch come unclasped and am just lucky it didn't fall out of my jacket sleeve. Is this normal, or is there a way to make this a much tighter closure? Is the fact that so much of the bracelet is under the clasp a part of the problem at all?

Maybe I just need to be more careful? Any advice is really appreciated!
shudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 01:52 AM   #2
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
The clasp on the jubilee from the 80's will need adjustment from time to time - not as drastic as it sounds, it's just a case of getting the curve right

Any good watchmaker can do this, probably while you wait - if they say it's complicated, you're talking to the wrong people (it isn't)

Goes with the territory for 88 jubilees, but only every ten years or so - normally taken care of as part of a service, but just as easy to do it separately
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 02:28 AM   #3
shudder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
The clasp on the jubilee from the 80's will need adjustment from time to time - not as drastic as it sounds, it's just a case of getting the curve right

Any good watchmaker can do this, probably while you wait - if they say it's complicated, you're talking to the wrong people (it isn't)

Goes with the territory for 88 jubilees, but only every ten years or so - normally taken care of as part of a service, but just as easy to do it separately
Thanks so much for the reply. I assumed it could be tightened, but just wasn't sure whether this was "how they come" or something that happens over time. Thanks again!
Old 27 January 2023, 03:18 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
CaveDweller is totally correct. You do not need to bring the bracelet anywhere. Easy to do at home. Here's a video on bending the blades. Also, you can sort of squeeze the sides of the outer clasp (with the crown) inwards to force a tighter seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH90MKFfA
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:29 AM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Broadly too tighten...tiny bit of pressure needed....
1) just flatten the inner blade closest to the wrist.
2) just make more rounded the outer blade furthest from the wrist.
Simple as that ...
And a tiny rubber hammer on the fangs on end of clasp can help claw them inwards a smidge for a satisfying click.
After 40 years of doing it, takes me ten seconds to do a sloppy bracelet !
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:22 AM   #6
shudder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
CaveDweller is totally correct. You do not need to bring the bracelet anywhere. Easy to do at home. Here's a video on bending the blades. Also, you can sort of squeeze the sides of the outer clasp (with the crown) inwards to force a tighter seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH90MKFfA
This video was exactly what I needed. Thanks! I simply very slightly bent the curved metal part of the clasp and now it snaps shut very securely. Thanks again!
Old 27 January 2023, 07:44 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by shudder View Post
This video was exactly what I needed. Thanks! I simply very slightly bent the curved metal part of the clasp and now it snaps shut very securely. Thanks again!
My pleasure, man! I was amazed it worked as well as it did when I learned of it.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote