The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Incoming? Maybe…

Hi Guys,
I visited one AD last week while traveling, I expressed my interest for a Batman and as a potential second option the new sub No Data.
I got the usual comments: history, get some jewelry for the wife, huge list… etc.

Chatted about 1 hr with the associate. I could tell She was a bit frustrated about repeating the same story multiple times. I asked her about other brands, including VC and Omega. I actually gave her specifics about references she didn’t know. I have to say that she realized that she was talking with a true WIS :)
After I finished discussing about the New moonwatch my wife was close to filing for divorce.

In the end I told the associate that I loved my watches and that the only thing they can be sure is that I am not the kind of guy that is going to flip them. I also added that I want to build a relation, but they have to sell me watches, otherwise how can I do that?

I left with the feeling that I had just wasted time.

Well… after 5 days I got the call from the associate “your sub just arrived”.
I’m pretty sure they had it already in the safe, close to a couple of GMTs and Daytonas. They just decided I was honest and worth to invest into.

I have to go back to the AD next week. She said they don’t want a deposit and they will keep it for me.
We will see if they keep their word.
If they do, everything that we say about waiting lists doesn’t mean much.
It’s all personal relation mixed with business potential, but in the end we all knew that.

Will send an update.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Couldn’t agree more… big congrats tho..send pics when you get it
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:03 PM   #3
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Congrats! Looking forward to incoming pics
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:30 PM   #4
clu
"TRF" Member

Clearly your charm worked, good stuff!
clu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:43 PM   #5
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Sound so familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:49 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations in advance
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:51 PM   #7
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Genuine interest/intention is the key to the AD vault. Congrats!
Old 10 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Congrats! Hope wife is ok with incoming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:48 PM   #9
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Sure, I will post pics once I collect the bad boy!

Wife is… okay
I had to promise no more watches for a bit ;)
Old 11 July 2021, 03:15 AM   #10
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Incoming? Maybe…

People need to stop spreading these dumb stories about ADs having pieces in the safe just waiting for the right customers. My friend is a Rolex SA and I’ve been told repeatedly by other insider people as well:

Legitimate AD don’t stockpile subs, daytonas, gmt or whatever you’re dreaming of. When the watches come, they get allocated to a customer. If that customer passes they move onto the next and in today’s climate it’s usually sold within 24 hrs.

They do not get new pieces of that particular model unless they already sold their current inventory (and activate the warranty). I cannot speak for shady AD but legitimate ADs will sell any desirable pieces immediately and most of them are sold within 24 hrs of them landing at the store. If it’s in the safe for more than 24hrs it’s already sold and paid for and they’re only waiting for the customer to pick up.

So stop spreading speculation, lies, or nonsense about ADs being a gigantic vault of 5x daytona and 10x subs just waiting for the right customer they’re in the business to sell. If you don’t know, don’t spread false information.

thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 03:48 AM   #11
Richard2
Banned

Congrats
Richard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:04 AM   #12
Martin
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
Congratulations in advance
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:19 AM   #13
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Well done! Which city was this in?
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:24 AM   #14
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
People need to stop spreading these dumb stories about ADs having pieces in the safe just waiting for the right customers. My friend is a Rolex SA and I’ve been told repeatedly by other insider people as well:

Legitimate AD don’t stockpile subs, daytonas, gmt or whatever you’re dreaming of. When the watches come, they get allocated to a customer. If that customer passes they move onto the next and in today’s climate it’s usually sold within 24 hrs.

They do not get new pieces of that particular model unless they already sold their current inventory (and activate the warranty). I cannot speak for shady AD but legitimate ADs will sell any desirable pieces immediately and most of them are sold within 24 hrs and paid for and they’re only waiting for the customer to pick up.

So stop spreading speculation, lies, or nonsense about ADs being a gigantic vault of 5x daytona and 10x subs just waiting for the right customer they’re in the business to sell. If you don’t know, don’t spread false information.

Another my S.A. told me so it’s true !
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

They do not get new pieces of that particular model unless they already sold their current inventory (and activate the warranty). I cannot speak for shady AD but legitimate ADs will sell any desirable pieces immediately and most of them are sold within 24 hrs of them landing at the store. If it’s in the safe for more than 24hrs it’s already sold and paid for and they’re only waiting for the customer to pick up.

Do they get allocated to a customer, or a SA? I ask because perhaps the OP’s SA was due for a Sub to sell, and didn’t actually have a customer requesting one. If that’s even a thing?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:45 AM   #16
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

What I know and after 30 years is ADs have stock out the back and my AD will always have some bits tucked away,

I received my 126610LV Ist Sept, my brother waited a few weeks for his 126610ln , My father could no longer read his Date on his Seadweller, I walked in and asked the owner if I could buy a Sub for my Father and walked out with it same day , no pre order or wait, My BIL ordered a WG Sub 126619 and received it in six weeks , Subs are easy if you have connections

ADs have waiting lists but actually choose who they sell there inventory too
Old 11 July 2021, 04:51 AM   #17
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Quote:

exactly, most watches sold within a day if not sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 04:59 AM   #18
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You really think that a sub that I asked 5 days before arrived and they decided to allocate it to me, skipping all the people in list before me?
They had it in the safe.
The associate asked the director to have a piece to bring on board a new client.
The director said okay.
They allocated the watch and will open the safe.

It’s pretty clear that this is what is happening.
There are lists, don’t get me wrong, but they are very flexible, and ADs have inventory for sure. Otherwise how can they make business with good clients?
Old 11 July 2021, 05:04 AM   #19
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:

All true - it's the actual case and I know from my own relationships from 40 years as an active watch buyer and collector that what you say is absolutely true.

That said, you'll never get the skeptics and conspiracy theorists to retreat. Actual facts are not in their corner...which never seems to make a difference.

Good post. Won't get any traction around here though. They can't have their watch when and how they want so blah, blah, blah the spinning ensues. The truth is always more boring than the fantasy.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 05:40 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
You really think that a sub that I asked 5 days before arrived and they decided to allocate it to me, skipping all the people in list before me?
They had it in the safe.
The associate asked the director to have a piece to bring on board a new client.
The director said okay.

There are lists, don’t get me wrong, but they are very flexible, and ADs have inventory for sure. Otherwise how can they make business with good clients?
I also think that "hot" watches are allocated in one of three ways, with the following priority: the waiting list of existing customers who've requested them; the loyal customer list, to whom they are offered unsolicited; the waiting list of walk-ins/call-ups who've asked to be put on list.

It is highly unlikely that you bumped in front of anybody on list #1. Chances are that list was empty. Those are the most important relationships for AD to invest in.

If I had to guess, I would guess that there was no list #1 for that piece, and that a Sub-in-the-safe was waiting for AD to go through and call up list #2, but SA convinced management that you'd be a better future investment.

These days, list #3 is basically the equivalent of having the lowest-tier frequent flyer status and requesting an upgrade... And I know: I have such status and have been upgraded exactly once in the last six years or so .
Old 11 July 2021, 05:52 AM   #21
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Do they get allocated to a customer, or a SA? I ask because perhaps the OP’s SA was due for a Sub to sell, and didn’t actually have a customer requesting one. If that’s even a thing?

They get allocated to an SA, then the SA asks for approval to a certain customer - taking into consideration their purchase history / story / etc. If your SA likes you she will tell the manager who you are and ask if the manager would approve you to purchase it. My advice is to always be kind, genuine, and build a relationship with your SA as well as the store staff. Buy only what you want and let other people have the pieces you don’t want.

Old 11 July 2021, 05:55 AM   #22
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
They had it in the safe.
The director said okay.

You clearly don’t know how this works. It’s like talking to a child that doesn’t understand.

They probably got the sub in a shipment a few days after you came. Rolex ships to dealers every week, sometimes even 2-3 times a week a 1 to a few watches each time.

You found a good SA and build a rapport so he/she got you the watch - combination of good rapport and pure luck.

No one is saving a few subs just waiting for “the right customer” - god knows they can sell these to anybody at this point so they ain’t just sitting in the safe.

Since you’re new to this I’m gonna assume you’re naive ways will be clarified once you get to know your SA better and they’ll tell you how it really works.

Until then, stop spreading false information.

Old 11 July 2021, 05:58 AM   #23
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I also think that "hot" watches are allocated in one of three ways, with the following priority: the waiting list of existing customers who've requested them; the loyal customer list, to whom they are offered unsolicited; the waiting list of walk-ins/call-ups who've asked to be put on list.

It is highly unlikely that you bumped in front of anybody on list #1. Chances are that list was empty. Those are the most important relationships for AD to invest in.

If I had to guess, I would guess that there was no list #1 for that piece, and that a Sub-in-the-safe was waiting for AD to go through and call up list #2, but SA convinced management that you'd be a better future investment.

These days, list #3 is basically the equivalent of having the lowest-tier frequent flyer status and requesting an upgrade... And I know: I have such status and have been upgraded exactly once in the last six years or so .

If I had to bet you had absolutely correctly described the situation.

The only thing I would speculate is that the SA had people on list #1 but

A. likes the OP and wants to start building a new relationship with him

or

B. All people on list 1 have made their purchases recently and the SA was allowed to sell this sub and picked the OP. Right place right time.

Old 11 July 2021, 06:05 AM   #24
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:

True…. After they are sure you are not a flipper you received what you want in the shortest time possible….. I received in 2 year Blue SkyDweller, Pepsi and
Pepsi Meteorite dial….. no other purchase…..
Yes maybe it’s some AD who play different games to maximize the profit but not all are the same…..
Also like I write on a quote this days…. In this times Rolex AD sell all what they have in stock…. DJ, PM Models, all…..because people want a Rolex….. this is reality…..
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:06 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
If I had to bet you had absolutely correctly described the situation.

The only thing I would speculate is that the SA had people on list #1 but

A. likes the OP and wants to start building a new relationship with him

or

B. All people on list 1 have made their purchases recently and the SA was allowed to sell this sub and picked the OP. Right place right time.

Yea, and this is why I believe the watch could theoretically have already been there: It might take a couple of days to work through any existing lists and this process was still incomplete. If, as you say, list #1 had names, they were probably called, and declined (having bought elsewhere or decided on something else); same with any names called from #2.

SA wasn't playing any games, she knew she had the watch (or it was inbound, if Rolex sends incoming list in advance), knew who was owed a call about it first, but had some sense that they might not be interested in it.
Old 11 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #26
djyolky
Banned

They definitely have watches in the safe for their good customers. That's a fact.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:14 AM   #27
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
True…. After they are sure you are not a flipper you received what you want in the shortest time possible….. I received in 2 year Blue SkyDweller, Pepsi and

Pepsi Meteorite dial….. no other purchase…..

Yes maybe it’s some AD who play different games to maximize the profit but not all are the same…..

Also like I write on a quote this days…. In this times Rolex AD sell all what they have in stock…. DJ, PM Models, all…..because people want a Rolex….. this is reality…..
Nobody is doubting that it's easy for them to sell a Rolex. The point is to maximize their profits. They won't do that buy selling a Rolex to a customer who will most likely be one and done.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:51 AM   #28
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=thecrownprince;11571661]You clearly don’t know how this works. It’s like talking to a child that doesn’t understand.

They probably got the sub in a shipment a few days after you came. Rolex ships to dealers every week, sometimes even 2-3 times a week a 1 to a few watches each time.

You found a good SA and build a rapport so he/she got you the watch - combination of good rapport and pure luck.

No one is saving a few subs just waiting for “the right customer” - god knows they can sell these to anybody at this point so they ain’t just sitting in the safe.

Further up another post sold within 24 hours
Since you’re new to this I’m gonna assume you’re naive ways will be clarified once you get to know your SA better and they’ll tell you how it really works.

MY SA told me how it works �� 2-3 shipments a week �����
Old 11 July 2021, 08:05 AM   #29
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You clearly don’t know how this works. It’s like talking to a child that doesn’t understand.

3 quick points:
1. I don’t need your permission to be entitled to my own opinion and express it in a public forum
2. I believe ADs have some inventory.
3. Having a camomile with some honey could help you being more calm and less bitter ;)
Old 11 July 2021, 08:14 AM   #30
ks58
Banned

Great to hear, nice pickup.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote