The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2021, 02:32 AM   #1
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

126610LV Wait Time (NYC)

Hi guys,

I’ll be turning 30 in December, and am looking to celebrate the milestone with a 126610LV. I have a relationship with an AD who I bought my DJ41 from last year. I’m also looking to canvass a little more broadly in NYC.

My question is, how realistic you think it’ll be to have the watch by/at December or even January?
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:35 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Depends on how strong your relationship is with that AD and what that AD’s approval process is.

But if we’re going off just your past purchase history of only a DJ41, then getting a starbux by Dec or Jan is possible but highly unlikely imo.

Hope i’m wrong!
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #3
vh2k
"TRF" Member

You live in Los Angeles and want to buy from a NYC AD? Not likely.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:43 AM   #4
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
You live in Los Angeles and want to buy from a NYC AD? Not likely.
I live in NY now so I’d try all the AD’s here in addition to my relationship in LA
Old 15 July 2021, 02:47 AM   #5
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I live in NY now so I’d try all the AD’s here in addition to my relationship in LA
There are only three big ADs in NYC. Pick ONE location for each AD, make appointment, tell them your story, and good luck.
Old 15 July 2021, 02:49 AM   #6
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are only three big ADs in NYC. Pick ONE location for each AD, make appointment, tell them your story, and good luck.
I’d say 4. Tourneau, Wempe, London Jewelers, and WOS.
Old 15 July 2021, 02:57 AM   #7
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 02:59 AM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Ask the Magic Eight Ball, be sure and phrase it as a yes or no question.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:10 AM   #9
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It is all about getting lucky, but I would keep working with the AD that got you the DJ41.

Sadly these days, you need to beg for a company to take thousands of your dollars... it is just something I would not be interested in chasing.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:25 AM   #10
ks58
Banned

I think it’s unrealistic but your experience may vary.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:30 AM   #11
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Inadequate purchase history to be considered for that reference.

If your AD was a chain, you unfortunately wouldn't even get the associate to attempt to advocate for you to be placed on the corp list.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 03:39 AM   #12
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Heisenberg and Schrodinger had some research on this, they are called Heisenberg's hard to get watch uncertainty and Schrodinger's watch conundrum.

I think the best answer is, you register your interest with all ADs in NYC, and when I say all, all the branches, not one branch per AD chain as they tend to keep seperate lists, with your story and then wait.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:02 AM   #13
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Inadequate purchase history to be considered for that reference.

If your AD was a chain, you unfortunately wouldn't even get the associate to attempt to advocate for you to be placed on the corp list.
Eh. I actually have a friend who got the LV last year as a second watch, with only a DJ as his prior history here in NYC. I agree that it’s a long shot, but I wouldn’t rule it out completely. The LV seems roughly on par with the BLNR and there are plenty of people who’ve gotten that as their 2nd or 3rd watch.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:03 AM   #14
Master_Grogu
Banned

Who knows! You won’t get it unless you reach out anyhowy
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:07 AM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

1st week of October 2020 in NYC. 5 weeks after initial release but I have some history with AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:14 AM   #16
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Sadly a 1-2 watch history isn’t gonna get you far in NYC. There’s always someone who has spent thousands of dollars more. Could you hit it off with an SA at a location where spending history doesn’t matter? Sure, but probably not for this model. FWIW, Tourneau told me that spending history doesn’t make too much of a difference, and that was in the context of me asking about a rather unhyped model.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #17
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Sadly a 1-2 watch history isn’t gonna get you far in NYC. There’s always someone who has spent thousands of dollars more. Could you hit it off with an SA at a location where spending history doesn’t matter? Sure, but probably not for this model. FWIW, Tourneau told me that spending history doesn’t make too much of a difference, and that was in the context of me asking about a rather unhyped model.
Curious because I was told the same by Tourneau, if spending history doesnt make too much a difference what the heck does? What model did you ask for?

I thought they were just saying that to get rid fo me
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:32 AM   #18
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Eh. I actually have a friend who got the LV last year as a second watch, with only a DJ as his prior history here in NYC. I agree that it’s a long shot, but I wouldn’t rule it out completely. The LV seems roughly on par with the BLNR and there are plenty of people who’ve gotten that as their 2nd or 3rd watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
Who knows! You won’t get it unless you reach out anyhowy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
1st week of October 2020 in NYC. 5 weeks after initial release but I have some history with AD.
Quote:
Context matters. Purchase history, rapport, circumstances, future purchases/velocity (lifetime customer value), etc.

Someone asking for a piece for a 60th or 50th birthday can easily jump ahead of someone asking for his 30th.
Old 15 July 2021, 04:45 AM   #19
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Context matters. Purchase history, rapport, circumstances, future purchases/velocity (lifetime customer value), etc.

Someone asking for a piece for a 60th or 50th birthday can easily jump ahead of someone asking for his 30th.
I agree. As a hard and fast rule, there are no hard and fast rules. Odds of OP getting the LV in NYC by December are, I think we can all agree, low. But not impossible. There’s a lot of randomness that goes into it, and persistence can pay off. Obviously odds increase by requesting at multiple ADs, etc.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #20
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

highly unlikely but if you go today and tell them you're turning 30 and would like to celebrate then maybe you'll get lucky by then. i wouldn't even bother trying any ADs where you'd have to call. just go through the few in nyc or maybe drive out to jersey to a smaller AD with less vip clients
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 04:57 AM   #21
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Curious because I was told the same by Tourneau, if spending history doesnt make too much a difference what the heck does? What model did you ask for?

Looking for a 2 tone datejust after a prior submariner purchase at Tourneau. I think the reason that they discounted the purchase history is that they have so many people who want so many watches and have spent money that they can’t allow that to be the difference maker. As others have suggested, I think it’s a combination of factors, like future potential, whether you’re gonna resell, prior history, a compelling story, not bothering them all the time etc. Cant forget also that sometimes you might not be the top option for a watch, but if they can’t get a hold of the people above you on the list or those people forgot they were even on it or already bought something else, then you might get “lucky”
Old 15 July 2021, 04:58 AM   #22
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
highly unlikely but if you go today and tell them you're turning 30 and would like to celebrate then maybe you'll get lucky by then. i wouldn't even bother trying any ADs where you'd have to call. just go through the few in nyc or maybe drive out to jersey to a smaller AD with less vip clients
Well, in many cases, with WFH over the past 16 months, "local" or hometown ADs in the suburbs are BUSIER (relatively speaking) than the ADs in metropolitan areas.

In other words, if NYC AD used to experience 1X demand in 2019, and now is experiencing 3X demand (3X increase)...

Suburban AD used to experience .1X demand in 2019 and is now seeing .5X demand (5X increase).
Old 15 July 2021, 05:02 AM   #23
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Buying non rolex helps with your case.
Old 15 July 2021, 05:05 AM   #24
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Buying non rolex helps.
This. They’re gonna sell the Rolex whether you want it or not. There will almost always be a buyer for any men’s model, perhaps excluding some diamond pieces. What they have problems selling are the other watches. This is where you can benefit from the idea of bundling without having to buy a ton of jewelry. It also helps explain why some secondary/gray dealers here probably end up with a lot of random pieces that we can just buy in any store.
Old 15 July 2021, 05:57 AM   #25
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Looking for a 2 tone datejust after a prior submariner purchase at Tourneau. I think the reason that they discounted the purchase history is that they have so many people who want so many watches and have spent money that they can’t allow that to be the difference maker. As others have suggested, I think it’s a combination of factors, like future potential, whether you’re gonna resell, prior history, a compelling story, not bothering them all the time etc. Cant forget also that sometimes you might not be the top option for a watch, but if they can’t get a hold of the people above you on the list or those people forgot they were even on it or already bought something else, then you might get “lucky”
Makes sense. Lets also add: checking up once in a while but not too often, gifts, local vs non local, pretty much the ADs choice if they like you. Impossible to get any transparency with this so just wait and see.

Two tone DJ you should be able to order no? That should be the type of watch that builds "positive spend" like in a thread I started earlier.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:12 AM   #26
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Makes sense. Lets also add: checking up once in a while but not too often, gifts, local vs non local, pretty much the ADs choice if they like you. Impossible to get any transparency with this so just wait and see.

Two tone DJ you should be able to order no? That should be the type of watch that builds "positive spend" like in a thread I started earlier.
They have offered to order, but the vague "timelines" they give have made me reconsider waiting on that. One SA will say it could be a week, clearly trying to get me to put the deposit down. Another will be more honest and say its probably 8-12 weeks. I just don’t like that. Am I being picky? yes of course, but I also am not 100% set on which 2 tone dial I want, so I would rather wait til one comes in, possibly much faster than 8-12 weeks, and decide if that right for me. You would think with a purchase history of a sub that perhaps I could get my hands on an SS Datejust in white roman, but they said it didn't matter for that either, and thats not exactly the blue or wimbeldon dial everyone is looking for.
Old 15 July 2021, 06:20 AM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Hi guys,

I’ll be turning 30 in December, and am looking to celebrate the milestone with a 126610LV. I have a relationship with an AD who I bought my DJ41 from last year. I’m also looking to canvass a little more broadly in NYC.

My question is, how realistic you think it’ll be to have the watch by/at December or even January?
I’d say you will really really struggle
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:37 AM   #28
nyc10ken
Banned

i think theres no harm in putting down a deposit as its refundable, just need to decide what you want first. I think what they get and display is way to random to help you decide so suggest maybe go around 47th st and try some on. Though I think for history building purposes buying something they get randomly is better than making them order one because it helps them sell a shipment model.

Are you looking for 36 or 41? Last time i heard the DJs you cant order are the SS41s but these things change often.
Old 15 July 2021, 08:35 AM   #29
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Will roll the dice and hit the ADs this weekend.
Old 15 July 2021, 11:26 AM   #30
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Or, just negotiate the best deal you can with a reputable gray dealer.
There are literally hundreds of these watches brand new out there.
Time is $.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote