The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2021, 01:31 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Brigning NOS to RSC Questions

Hello all! I have an incoming tomorrow of one of my grail watches, a Datejust reference 116234 with the hidden clasp. The watch is NOS in that its still unworn and still stickered, but because it doesn’t come with warranty card and has a scattered serial, I am not sure what year its from. It comes with a green chronometer tag, so I assume it cannot be older than 2015, and these ceased production around 2018, so its probably from that range - 3-6 years old. A few questions:

1. I live near an RSC and would like them to size the watch and order a 1.25 link for me. Will they give me a hard time about the NOS? Or are they only difficult about this kind of thing when seeking warranty service? I don’t mind sharing where I got the watch, but I don’t want to be interrogated (which happened to me before at RSC with a different watch for a different reason- I wasn’t seeking warranty service FWIW).

2. Should I ask RSC to lubricate the movement? I purchased the watch from a very reputable store and I know they checked the movement for authenticity by opening the case, but I am unsure of whether they lubricated it and I do not know whether this is needed on a watch that is max 5 years old but unworn. Thoughts?

2A. I brought a submariner from 2016 to RSC in 2017 merely for a warranty question, no issues, and they took my watch to the back and lubricated it. Does this mean they always do this or is it something they examine first, and then add oil only if necessary?

Thanks!
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 01:56 AM   #2
dannyp
Banned

Just because you don't have the warranty card doesn't necessarily mean the watch is no longer under warranty, or warranty was voided, does it?

Let's say that the watch was made in 2016, but not sold by the AD to your source (or some intermediary) until 2018. If that's the case, why not just say: "This has been idle for years, if there's any warranty left, I'd like to have it checked" and see what happens?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:06 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Just because you don't have the warranty card doesn't necessarily mean the watch is no longer under warranty, or warranty was voided, does it?

Let's say that the watch was made in 2016, but not sold by the AD to your source (or some intermediary) until 2018. If that's the case, why not just say: "This has been idle for years, if there's any warranty left, I'd like to have it checked" and see what happens?

Oddly this is very similar to what happened with my submariner alluded to above. I purchased the watch pre owned from an AD and I couldn't make out the date on the warranty card, so I went to RSC to see if they could look into it for me and they ended up voiding my warranty by virtue of having bought it pre-owned from the AD. It ended up being a moot point since the warranty just expired and I had no issues since then, but its part of why I want to be cautious this time.
Old 20 July 2021, 02:09 AM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Hidden clasp Jubilee bracelet is a gem !

Have it sized if you plan to wear it .
I wouldnt bother with a service (especially if it didnt run )

Take it to an AD and let them order the link.

As a matter of interest,why did you get the stickered watch and not the warrantee card ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Oddly this is very similar to what happened with my submariner alluded to above. I purchased the watch pre owned from an AD and I couldn't make out the date on the warranty card, so I went to RSC to see if they could look into it for me and they ended up voiding my warranty by virtue of having bought it pre-owned from the AD. It ended up being a moot point since the warranty just expired and I had no issues since then, but its part of why I want to be cautious this time.
Didn't Rolex policy change, though, and the warranty now follows the watch, not the owner? Or is that only for watches issued with the new style scannable card?
Old 20 July 2021, 02:19 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Hidden clasp Jubilee bracelet is a gem !

Have it sized if you plan to wear it .
I wouldnt bother with a service (especially if it didnt run )

Take it to an AD and let them order the link.

As a matter of interest,why did you get the stickered watch and not the warrantee card ?
Not sure. Watch wasn’t purchased from an AD and it doesn’t come with the card, which doesn’t really bother me as I plan to wear the watch and not the card lol.
Old 20 July 2021, 02:20 AM   #7
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Didn't Rolex policy change, though, and the warranty now follows the watch, not the owner? Or is that only for watches issued with the new style scannable card?
I think this has been the case for a while, which is what I told Rolex when I was there, which they eventually acknowledged, but didn’t change my outcome that time.
Old 20 July 2021, 02:22 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

If you're not requesting warranty work, they won't care about any of your concerns. They'll gladly charge you for anything you want done.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:28 AM   #9
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I think this has been the case for a while, which is what I told Rolex when I was there, which they eventually acknowledged, but didn’t change my outcome that time.
Wonder if they just hate seeing ADs sell “used” (but current) watches above MSRP and assume shenanigans? Though perhaps the Sub wasn’t going above MSRP for years ago?
Old 20 July 2021, 02:30 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wonder if they just hate seeing ADs sell “used” (but current) watches above MSRP and assume shenanigans? Though perhaps the Sub wasn’t going above MSRP for years ago?
Thats what I suspect. I paid 6300 for it then What confused me was that I know if someone opens up the caseback that voids the warranty, but I didn't know only Rolex could do this and not a certified Rolex AD that is authorized for service?
Old 20 July 2021, 02:35 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

How would RSC know? Is there some kind of seal, like a customs seal on a shipping container, inside the case back?
Old 20 July 2021, 02:38 AM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats what I suspect. I paid 6300 for it then What confused me was that I know if someone opens up the caseback that voids the warranty, but I didn't know only Rolex could do this and not a certified Rolex AD that is authorized for service?
ALL the grey dealers I know,opens up the caseback .( You think the white dial Daytona at heavy premium that people buy is virgin ?? )
Old 20 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #13
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
ALL the grey dealers I know,opens up the caseback .( You think the white dial Daytona at heavy premium that people buy is virgin ?? )
I will say, the people who can afford white dial Daytona on the grey market can also probably afford any issues that would have been covered under warranty but now must be paid for out of pocket, if Rolex declined to honor warranty due to unauthorized case back opening.
Old 20 July 2021, 02:44 AM   #14
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will say, the people who can afford white dial Daytona on the grey market can also probably afford any issues that would have been covered under warranty but now must be paid for out of pocket, if Rolex declined to honor warranty due to unauthorized case back opening.
Not really the problem,just that it is not pressure tested .
Old 20 July 2021, 02:52 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Plus secondary market dealers, if reputable, will provide their own warranties, whether or not they’re also ADs.
Old 20 July 2021, 03:07 AM   #16
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB40-DJ36-YM40
I have 116234 , April 2019 warranty card , get it in 2020 September in NOS , all works good +1-1 sd.
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:14 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
1. I live near an RSC and would like them to size the watch and order a 1.25 link for me. Will they give me a hard time about the NOS?. . .

2. Should I ask RSC to lubricate the movement?. . .

2A. I brought a submariner from 2016 to RSC in 2017 merely for a warranty question, no issues, and they took my watch to the back and lubricated it. Does this mean they always do this or is it something they examine first, and then add oil only if necessary?

Thanks!
1. I don't know what you mean. NOS is a meaningless statement that would mean nothing to the RSC. Yes, they will probably size it for you, and you can order a link if it needs that. It is not warranty work, so you do not need a warranty card or anything else.

2. No, and they would not likely to so.

3. I find this unlikely, except for some peripheral or exterior points.
Old 20 July 2021, 03:17 AM   #18
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. I don't know what you mean. NOS is a meaningless statement that would mean nothing to the RSC. Yes, they will probably size it for you, and you can order a link if it needs that. It is not warranty work, so you do not need a warranty card or anything else.

2. No, and they would not likely to so.

3. I find this unlikely, except for some peripheral or exterior points.

I know NOS isn't a word they use, but I just don't want them to give me a hard time about bringing in a watch with no papers, brand new. My concern was partly based on the prior experience I tried to outline briefly here.
Old 20 July 2021, 03:40 AM   #19
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know NOS isn't a word they use, but I just don't want them to give me a hard time about bringing in a watch with no papers, brand new. My concern was partly based on the prior experience I tried to outline briefly here.
It’s a discontinued model and you don’t have a warranty card. Not new.

The condition is irrelevant.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:47 AM   #20
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
It’s a discontinued model and you don’t have a warranty card. Not new.

The condition is irrelevant.
You seem a little confused. The watch is new. It hasn't been worn. It is stickered. NOS refers to unworn watches that were sold in prior years. Hence why its called NEW old stock. I am not asking for warranty service so the card is irrelevant beyond telling me what year the watch was sold.

Last edited by sportsfan0704; 20 July 2021 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Explain more
Old 20 July 2021, 04:06 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Technically, I think of "NOS" as pieces produced in previous years, often discontinued, but still lingering in dealer safes for whatever reason. While not a "thing" I'd consider yours "UOS" or "unworn old stock" if we wanted to split hairs.

A discontinued piece sitting in the safe for many years but still with its original dealer should be considered "new" for warranty purposes the moment it's first sold.
Old 20 July 2021, 04:23 AM   #22
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Technically, I think of "NOS" as pieces produced in previous years, often discontinued, but still lingering in dealer safes for whatever reason. While not a "thing" I'd consider yours "UOS" or "unworn old stock" if we wanted to split hairs.

A discontinued piece sitting in the safe for many years but still with its original dealer should be considered "new" for warranty purposes the moment it's first sold.
Bingo! Maybe OP thinks you’re confused too?
Old 20 July 2021, 04:25 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Can be a little confusing, in general, since there is what "we" (customers) consider "new" and what Rolex considers "new" (and they ain't always the same).
Old 20 July 2021, 04:30 AM   #24
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just seemed like you were choosing to focus on the semantics of whether the watch is "new" given lack of warranty card and the fact the 116234 isn't produced anymore rather than the point of my post, which was whether Rolex is gonna give me a hard time and quiz me on where it was acquired, etc. I apologize for the rudeness on my part.
Old 20 July 2021, 04:31 AM   #25
Master_Grogu
Banned

Take as much, high resolution, quality, well lit images. Don’t get too close as I so often see, you’ll be below the minimum focusing distance and have blurry images. Clean your lenses, and not with a dirty shirt.

Take 4K videos, move slow, tons of angles, the light must hit under every angle.

Why? Because you do not want RSC to scratch your NOS watch. It occurred to me, and I was glad I had my library of macro shots.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:32 AM   #26
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Given all the talk on this forum about Rolex trying to crack down on grey/secondary sellers and AD's who work with them or whatever goes on there, I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex has a lot of questions about a piece that epitomizes what they're concerned about - especially with stickers remaining, no warranty card, etc.
Old 20 July 2021, 04:36 AM   #27
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just seemed like you were choosing to focus on the semantics of whether the watch is "new" given lack of warranty card and the fact the 116234 isn't produced anymore rather than the point of my post, which was whether Rolex is gonna give me a hard time and quiz me on where it was acquired, etc. I apologize for the rudeness on my part.
No worries. I extend you the same apologies.

Rolex doesn’t care if it is new or used — just: is the ask under warranty or not?
Old 20 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #28
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Be aware that during resizing, MANY AD's will severely damage your bracelet and pins.

Show them that the watch is NOS, undamaged, and tell them that you expect it to be returned in the same undamaged condition. And only let a jeweler or watchmaker resize it, NOT the ever-present ham-fisted idiot sales rep.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:06 AM   #29
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Be aware that during resizing, MANY AD's will severely damage your bracelet and pins.

Show them that the watch is NOS, undamaged, and tell them that you expect it to be returned in the same undamaged condition. And only let a jeweler or watchmaker resize it, NOT the ever-present ham-fisted idiot sales rep.
I am taking the watch to RSC, which is the point of this entire post.
Old 20 July 2021, 05:13 AM   #30
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Given all the talk on this forum about Rolex trying to crack down on grey/secondary sellers and AD's who work with them or whatever goes on there, I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex has a lot of questions about a piece that epitomizes what they're concerned about - especially with stickers remaining, no warranty card, etc.
True. But on a last-gen DJ? That seems to be the equivalent of the Chicago police all of a sudden devoting resources to underage drinking and noise complaints: someone has to really piss then off for those things to get any attention these days (and for good reason).