The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2021, 04:26 AM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Another AD waitlist thread, but with some added extra thoughts and questions...

One of the previous posts the last couple days was regarding a forum member who got a SS Skydweller, then was asking about the wait time for a SS Daytona. In one way you would think getting the SS Skydweller would be a good sign they had a nice relationship with their AD, but based on some of the comments this also got me thinking. A lot of people seemed to mention or think by accepting the SS Skydweller, they used up their opportunity for the SS Daytona. Now here is where my thoughts are going. Is it better to give your AD a list, that includes all the hot pieces (assuming you really would like any or all of these). For example, SS Daytona in both colors, SS Skydweller, BLRO, BLNR, Metoerite GMT, Yellow/Green Daytona, etc. Or do you think it's better to just pick 1-2 of these and give your AD less options of what you might want, even though they are the tougher and more desirable pieces? Does it help improve your chances to get them? Your giving your AD less options, but will that help you in the long run achieve your ultimate goals if you really want a John Mayer Daytona, or a Meteorite GMT, white dial Daytona, etc. This is all assuming you already have a multi year relationship with your AD, maybe 2-5 years, and have already spent say 30-100k or so with them.
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Sounds like what the resellers already do
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:29 AM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the warning.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:31 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Personally, I wouldn't be submitting a list that has both BLRO and Meteorite GMT, for example. One is a $9k watch that is difficult to get, the other is a $39k watch that's nearly impossible to get. Someone who is truly after the latter probably won't bother with the former, unless they're just copying and pasting a "What's the coolest Rolex right now?" list they found on the internet.

I'd decide first: Do you want steel or PM and, if the latter, what color? Also consider which are the "simply impossible" pieces (Meteorite, green Daytona) and nix those (unless it's your one and only grail, in which case, ask for only that).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:32 AM   #5
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
One of the previous posts the last couple days was regarding a forum member who got a SS Skydweller, then was asking about the wait time for a SS Daytona. In one way you would think getting the SS Skydweller would be a good sign they had a nice relationship with their AD, but based on some of the comments this also got me thinking. A lot of people seemed to mention or think by accepting the SS Skydweller, they used up their opportunity for the SS Daytona. Now here is where my thoughts are going. Is it better to give your AD a list, that includes all the hot pieces (assuming you really would like any or all of these). For example, SS Daytona in both colors, SS Skydweller, BLRO, BLNR, Metoerite GMT, Yellow/Green Daytona, etc. Or do you think it's better to just pick 1-2 of these and give your AD less options of what you might want, even though they are the tougher and more desirable pieces? Does it help improve your chances to get them? Your giving your AD less options, but will that help you in the long run achieve your ultimate goals if you really want a John Mayer Daytona, or a Meteorite GMT, white dial Daytona, etc. This is all assuming you already have a multi year relationship with your AD, maybe 2-5 years, and have already spent say 30-100k or so with them.
Impossible to say- every AD will be different based on geography, number of big spending whales, watch allocation from Rolex, whether they like you or whether they find you an irritating SOB.
Reading through threads here, some buyers have multi year, multi purchase histories and have got bugger all of late, some have more or less waltzed in off the street and gotten lucky- see thread by Ringhio....
Old 20 July 2021, 04:35 AM   #6
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Think about this scenario:

1. You tell them you only want a Pepsi, and nothing else. You love the Pepsi and couldn't care for anything else.

2. The next guy hands them a list of 5 difficult to get sports models (including the Pepsi as well).

------

Finally the Pepsi arrives, who would they think about first? Most likely you who specified a strong desire for that model.

Of course many other factors will play in such as the most important one being spend history.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:37 AM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
There’s not one right answer. It’s all case by case depending on the AD/SA.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:42 AM   #8
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Forget getting a JM Daytona or meteorite unless you are one of the ADs very top customers. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent… I dont mean 100 000.

Other than that follow you’re AD prompting. Mine asked for my top three. I think it gives you a better chance to pick up a piece in a reasonable time. Make sure you want every piece on the list. Unless you don’t mind waiting years for a BLNR, BLRO
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:52 AM   #9
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Give them a long list and see the immediate perception that you are a "flipper" and thus you will never receive anything except empty promises.

Go grey or wait forever and never get the wanted watches.

Seems to be the way of today's world, for the most part. Nothing is for certain with AD's and Rolex --ahem-- 'deliveries.'

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:53 AM   #10
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Think about this scenario:

1. You tell them you only want a Pepsi, and nothing else. You love the Pepsi and couldn't care for anything else.

2. The next guy hands them a list of 5 difficult to get sports models (including the Pepsi as well).

------

Finally the Pepsi arrives, who would they think about first? Most likely you who specified a strong desire for that model.

Of course many other factors will play in such as the most important one being spend history.
To argue the opposite they could choose the other person because they know they will come back and continue to buy more if they have a longer list as well?
Old 20 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
To argue the opposite they could choose the other person because they know they will come back and continue to buy more if they have a longer list as well?
Yep so many factors can play in. It could also discourage them from the other guy as it seems like all he's after is the difficult to get models.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:19 AM   #12
dannyp
Banned

I’d also say demonstrate some flexibility. Dying for a Pepsi? Make sure they know you’re equally happy with either bracelet. You’ll even take the BLNR if they twist your arm… Gotta have a Sub? Be fine with out without a date (unless that’s a real killer for you).

Make yourself easy to help without seeming indecisive or uninformed.
Old 20 July 2021, 05:38 AM   #13
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

I gave my AD two options. If you give 5 or 6 then you just look like a flipper. The two I chose were within my budget and one is difficult to get and the other is somewhat easier. Along the line I’m sure your AD will reach out with things you didn’t ask for but you may be interested in. If my budget were bigger I would have said one PM piece and one SS piece
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:50 AM   #14
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I’d also say demonstrate some flexibility. Dying for a Pepsi? Make sure they know you’re equally happy with either bracelet. You’ll even take the BLNR if they twist your arm… Gotta have a Sub? Be fine with out without a date (unless that’s a real killer for you).

Make yourself easy to help without seeming indecisive or uninformed.
Yeah that’s kinda my thinking with the longer list. Not to be a reseller at all. Just more flexibility. Especially with today’s climate, you obviously can’t walk into a store and compare everything in the flesh together side by side. So without trying on and comparing various models together, you kinda have to be more flexible with what your willing to get. In this sense it also makes me think that you should take advantage of the opportunities when you can and then later on if more opportunities present themselves you can evaluate your current collection and where those pieces fit in or if you’ve tried them and grow tired of them at all.
Old 20 July 2021, 05:58 AM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on a lot of things which you won't be able to superimpose onto one successful method.

I have usually asked for a specific model, one at a time. On one occasion I was on two lists but I left one of them when I sourced a watch elsewhere.

As alluded to above, handing the AD a list of hot models is likely to cause suspicion. Again, how suspicious this looks will depend on the AD and the person asking the AD.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:59 AM   #16
Merlin69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I have two ADs with different behaviours.
First AD: Just 1 request at a time.
Second AD: Build a small list (3 references).
I think it's impossible to define common rules. It depends.
Old 20 July 2021, 06:00 AM   #17
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Give them a long list and see the immediate perception that you are a "flipper" and thus you will never receive anything except empty promises.

Go grey or wait forever and never get the wanted watches.

Seems to be the way of today's world, for the most part. Nothing is for certain with AD's and Rolex --ahem-- 'deliveries.'

Exactly right. I had that exact conversation with the manager of my AD when i was last in. I’ve known them 6-8 years and we talk watches whenever i am around. He said the amount of people on a daily basis coming in and giving a list of hot SS watches they are interested in incredible. I think it’s the worst idea.

If the AD knows you, and you shop there quite a bit, nothing wrong with giving them the next 2-3 watches on your list. If they don’t know you, you’re not getting a single watch when asking for the all of the hottest models, regardless if you plan on keeping them or not.

I have two watches on my list. Getting a sub around November for my birthday, and a black Daytona. My suggestion would be keep it simple and reasonable. If they don’t know you and you haven’t spent any money, low chance of getting a skydweller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:02 AM   #18
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that’s kinda my thinking with the longer list. Not to be a reseller at all. Just more flexibility. Especially with today’s climate, you obviously can’t walk into a store and compare everything in the flesh together side by side. So without trying on and comparing various models together, you kinda have to be more flexible with what your willing to get. In this sense it also makes me think that you should take advantage of the opportunities when you can and then later on if more opportunities present themselves you can evaluate your current collection and where those pieces fit in or if you’ve tried them and grow tired of them at all.
Sure. But, to my earlier point, that list shouldn’t be all over the place. You’ll be taken more seriously saying “I want a steel Pepsi and don’t care about bracelet” than saying “I want an oyster bracelet Pepsi, don’t care if it’s steel or white gold.”

On the other hand, saying you’re cool with a WG Pepsi or blue bezel Sub tells a similarly focused story.
Old 20 July 2021, 06:25 AM   #19
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I doubt any AD is taking a list of what you want. It may sound odd, why not take a list of buyers, but all the AD's have plenty of prior clients and they have a steady stream of traffic. Potential buyers are walking into empty Rolex display cases everywhere. Where did all the Rolex watches go? You have to be a known buyer which means , for now, you have to take what they can get you. In your example someone got a SS Sky Dweller. What was the purchase history? If he bought alot of steel watches, the SS Daytona could still be a few purchases away because a steel watch doesn't add up in sales as much as do multiple PM watches.
Old 20 July 2021, 06:28 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If I’m the AD, I’m selling the watch to the person who genuinely wants that specific reference, not the guy who brings me a list
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:38 AM   #21
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

It varies, ask your AD directly. I used to put 7 and my SA suggests me to put 3 to get a higher chance. Not sure if she is telling me the truth, after all I can't verify until I got one. Anyway I am still waiting for what I want for 19 months already. That s all. Lol.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:40 AM   #22
got369
Banned

If I’m an SA I’m selling the watch to the customer(s) that I like…..more important to have a good relationship…… than a list……if smart, work on the relationship.
got369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:53 AM   #23
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

With regards to 'the list'. I went to my AD with a friend recently as we were both looking to buy something. We both bought a watch that was in stock but while I was looking at my options, my friend was updating his wish list with an SA (not his regular). He actually saw the SA open a file on the computer, go to his name, and add the new item. However, he also saw that his regular SA didn't update the list from the last time they spoke in the months prior :P
BillBrasky626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 08:24 AM   #24
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by got369 View Post
If I’m an SA I’m selling the watch to the customer(s) that I like…..more important to have a good relationship…… than a list……if smart, work on the relationship.
Which is why "allocations" happen on the basis of SA, rather than customer.

"Sure, you're up for the next GMT, so invest it wisely, pal"
Old 20 July 2021, 08:26 AM   #25
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve had a very healthy relationship with my local dealer for many years and find the best way is to give them one mission at a time .
As soon as they sell me one of the hot models they ask me what’s next , it’ll take a while but asking for the entire catalogue of hot watches will scare any AD off
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 08:39 AM   #26
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

I'm kinda going through this with my dealer. I really want him to show me the path to getting some of the hotter pieces (like a meteorite) because I know I'm not there yet. So I have a list of other watches I want both hot and soft to help get there.

But I find that this is just... too complicated for them to keep me in mind. I've had near instant success when I've asked for a very specific piece, and zero success so far with anything on the "interest list".

I'm going to talk to them about that grail piece, but will likely narror down to a single piece next time I speak to them.

It kinda sucks, because with a wider net you think you'd catch more... but I think I'm missing something perhaps other than "hard to keep a list in mind" for a customer rather than a single watch.

I'm guessing it comes down to how SAs fight for allocation after deliveries arrive. If they don't have you, very specifically you, in mind when a piece lands, they can't make a case for it for you.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 08:42 AM   #27
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

At that spend level, one pick. And unfortunately that spend level is no longer VIP since a single PM sports watch at list price puts you in that range, and lots of buyers just want to get a PM sports watch as a first watch now.

If you are VVIP, you give them the whole list and they get it for you.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 08:46 AM   #28
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I think trying to generalize what independent dealers choose to do to identify priority sales to customers is of little value.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:35 PM   #29
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C, JC DSSD
I bought a JC DSSD back in December from an AD here in Europe. Was absolutely thrilled to add the piece to my small collection. When I inquired in March about possibly picking up a BLRO in the next year, I was told - in writing - that the AD's policy is to allocate only one SS watch to any customer over a three year period. I wouldn't change my decision to pick up the JC as I absolutely love it, but still a bit ironic that they wouldn't welcome a subsequent purchase from an already established customer who came just an hour after getting the call.
Old 21 July 2021, 12:43 AM   #30
novae500
"TRF" Member

My top 3 are Rootbeer, Skydweller and BLRO. Got two of the three so far. Didn’t even bother adding Daytona on the list. If I was a flipper, I probably would. Just want to add to my collection of different steel models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote