The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 June 2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Milgauss anyone?

The cover of the bonus Basel 2007 magazine contained in the Summer 2007 Begin magazine.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Andad

Watch: A few.
It's upside down. Nice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 09:51 PM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Well, personally I do not like the Millgaus. I don't like the orange hand (even thought the "lightning style" has been used on the previous Millgauss watches.

I also don't like the orange hour markers and especially the green tinted glass edge.

BTW: Very nice "study" of the Chinese way of painting. Quite typical, also how that Chinese looks kinda "Western European", especially with his big, manly wrist size.

Funny how the points at his watch trying somehow to tell us:

"Hey, I might be Chinese, but I LOOK like an European, and I DO wear a Millgaus! So there!"

Edit: I am not being racist here, it is just what I think this cover says.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 11:51 PM   #4
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
Funny how the points at his watch trying somehow to tell us:

"Hey, I might be Chinese, but I LOOK like an European, and I DO wear a Millgaus! So there!"

Edit: I am not being racist here, it is just what I think this cover says.
Oh...I thought it was Batman's foil, the Joker, cackling over his new acquisition.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 12:08 AM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks Otto for that photo.
Begin is I believe a Japanese magazine.
The new Milgauss will take a while for some to accept, but I do feel it will be quite popular.
I do like mine and it is a little more reserved without the lightning bolt second hand.
Notice my hour and minute hands have a retro style, I really like that. It is to me a little disappointing that Rolex didn't do something with the minute and hour hands on the new Milgauss, as it seems they have just taken a set of Date-Just hands which lacks a bit of what could otherwise have been an opportunity for Rolex to further give the new Milgauss a distinctive identity.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Ronnie Rolex

Watch: SS-P YM
It sounds like I'll be in the minority but I really like it with the orange and green. Dressy but blingy at the same time.

Kind of like dating the "nice, sweet girl" who is a wild, no holds barred girl in bed! :)
Ronnie Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 04:21 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That 40 mm watch looks like a 34 mm on his oversized wrist!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

My mother warned me about men with red lipstick and too many teeth.
Old 11 June 2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
GREAT picture and comments, Steve. That 1019 looks beautiful. That "arrow head" second hand gives it such a clean, precise feel, especially on such a thin stalk. You can tell Rolex had the vintage models in mind when they made the new Milgauss, but unfortunately the way the new one came out it seems they were a bit disoriented when they "tore the page from the old book." They tried to get a bit too crazy with the colors and didn't do anything with the hands. What a shame, with today's technology the Milgauss could have been something for the ages.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 05:54 AM   #10
problmchylde
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 SD
Awesome 1019 ....STEVE.Pity i missed the boat on the vintage MILGAUSS.Their prices are way beyond my reach..
problmchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 06:55 AM   #11
Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Thanks Otto for that photo.
Begin is I believe a Japanese magazine.
The new Milgauss will take a while for some to acceptable, but I do feel it will be quite popular.
I do like mine and it is a little more reserved without the lightning bolt second hand.
Notice my hour and minute hands have a retro style, I really like that. It is to me a little disappointing that Rolex didn't do something with the minute and hour hands on the new Milgauss, as it seems they have just taken a set of Date-Just hands which lacks a bit of what could otherwise have been an opportunity for Rolex to further give the new Milgauss a distinctive identity.
Yes. Begin is a Japanese magazine.

That's a great Milgauss you've got there.

I put my name on a phonecall list ("not a waiting list") for the green tint Milgauss at a dealer in Tokyo. I don't know if I will really buy one; but I suspect that in person, it will be quite a nice watch. My collection right now is somewhat conservative, mostly gold; so a sporty Milgauss might be what I "need!"
Old 11 June 2007, 09:44 AM   #12
idoitsavant

Watch: WGDJ
The old Milgauss looks better any day.. But I guess we all need some time to get use to the new one. 30 years later, if us folks are still around in this forum, we will say "hey the old Milgauss looks way better dude, now they have all their hands as lightning bolts - what's up with Rolex??"
idoitsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 02:05 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well I guess time will tell in relation to the new Milgauss, I am looking very much to seeing it in the flesh, especially given it's 40mm case.
I have a strong belief that the new Milgauss will be a watch which at least for the next 2 years will be a hot property.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:08 PM   #14
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I have a strong belief that the new Milgauss will be a watch which at least for the next 2 years will be a hot property.
agreed.....i can almost imagine the ADs in singapore rubbing their hands with glee........another rolex watch for them to charge a premium and laugh their way to the bank.....

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2007, 04:00 PM   #15
Ronnie Rolex

As a newbie, could someone give a brief history on the Milgauss? Was it named after someone?
Old 11 June 2007, 05:19 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Rolex View Post
As a newbie, could someone give a brief history on the Milgauss? Was it named after someone?
Mr. Mil Gauss!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 June 2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Otto

Rough translation...

The man on the cover is exclaiming, "Oh, lightning!!"

The center of the cover says:

Basel & Geneve 2007 New Models
100 specially selected companies & 455 wristwatch models!!
Here are the surprises!!
Old 11 June 2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Otto

Old 11 June 2007, 07:50 PM   #19
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks again Otto.
If that photo is correct it is interesting to see how high or should I say low the crystal appears to be located in relation to the bezel. It looks nearly the same height. The photos are interesting but I it will be even more interesting to hear reactions after seeing the watch in person in the flesh.
Old 11 June 2007, 07:57 PM   #20
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is some stuff about the Milgauss:

"I have already introduced you with the new Rolex Yacht-Master II that was introduced at Baselworld 2007. Now Rolex’s another amazing timepiece is Milgauss. This Rolex Milgauss is well known for its ability to resist a magnetic field of 1,000 Gauss. The new Rolex Milgauss uses the classic Faraday Cage construction and sports a green glass on the black dial version. I know you are wondering that how-cum this Rolex wristwatch can resist magnetic field of 1,000 Guass? Here is the answer; it has Parachrom-Blu hairspring that guarantees anti-magnetic resistance. This Parachrom-Blu hairspring is completely unaffected by electro-magnetic forces. Hmm! Pretty good achievement! Even several escapement parts and one wheel are made from a new and undisclosed alloy, which is as resistant as the hairspring.

The Milgauss comes in the new, slightly larger case size of 40mm, with the 3131 movement. There are white and black dial versions available, both with a nifty and surprisingly modern lightning shaped second hand and ‘ROLEXROLEXROLEX’ around the face on the chapter ring. (As Christian noted, for better or worse, the new models are more heavily branded than their predecessors.) One difference between the two versions is that the black dial has a sapphire crystal that is slightly green at an angle, as you can see from the image gallery on their site. List price on both is rumored to be $5,900.

Now let’s have insight into the history of Milgauss model. It was introduced in 1954 for those people who worked in environments with strong magnetic fields for example, power plants, research labs, etc. The IWC Ingenieur, the Patek Philippe Amagnetic, and the Omega Rail master, all of which had similar magnetic resistance, further crowded this small market. The Milgauss was the slowest seller in the Rolex lineup, and was sold for about 20 years before being removed from their catalog.

This timepiece is tough and has excellent retro styling. I liked its well-designed bracelet."

(quoted from: http://www.wriststyle.com/rss.xml )

I can add that the word "Milgauss" comes from the French (short) for "1,000" (mil) + "Gauss" from the German Physician. The Milgauss in antimagnetic to 1,000 Gauss / Tesla.

Old 12 June 2007, 04:22 AM   #21
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
The Milgauss does have a certain appeal to it.
Old 17 June 2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Ronnie Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Mr. Mil Gauss!!
Tosser!
Old 17 June 2007, 10:41 AM   #23
Ronnie Rolex

Quote:
Here is some stuff about the Milgauss:

"I have already introduced you with the new Rolex Yacht-Master II that was introduced at Baselworld 2007. Now Rolex’s another amazing timepiece is Milgauss. This Rolex Milgauss is well known for its ability to resist a magnetic field of 1,000 Gauss. The new Rolex Milgauss uses the classic Faraday Cage construction and sports a green glass on the black dial version. I know you are wondering that how-cum this Rolex wristwatch can resist magnetic field of 1,000 Guass? Here is the answer; it has Parachrom-Blu hairspring that guarantees anti-magnetic resistance. This Parachrom-Blu hairspring is completely unaffected by electro-magnetic forces. Hmm! Pretty good achievement! Even several escapement parts and one wheel are made from a new and undisclosed alloy, which is as resistant as the hairspring.

The Milgauss comes in the new, slightly larger case size of 40mm, with the 3131 movement. There are white and black dial versions available, both with a nifty and surprisingly modern lightning shaped second hand and ‘ROLEXROLEXROLEX’ around the face on the chapter ring. (As Christian noted, for better or worse, the new models are more heavily branded than their predecessors.) One difference between the two versions is that the black dial has a sapphire crystal that is slightly green at an angle, as you can see from the image gallery on their site. List price on both is rumored to be $5,900.

Now let’s have insight into the history of Milgauss model. It was introduced in 1954 for those people who worked in environments with strong magnetic fields for example, power plants, research labs, etc. The IWC Ingenieur, the Patek Philippe Amagnetic, and the Omega Rail master, all of which had similar magnetic resistance, further crowded this small market. The Milgauss was the slowest seller in the Rolex lineup, and was sold for about 20 years before being removed from their catalog.

This timepiece is tough and has excellent retro styling. I liked its well-designed bracelet."

(quoted from: http://www.wriststyle.com/rss.xml )

I can add that the word "Milgauss" comes from the French (short) for "1,000" (mil) + "Gauss" from the German Physician. The Milgauss in antimagnetic to 1,000 Gauss / Tesla.
Thanks Bo! In hindsight, its a good thing I identified myself as a "Newbie" or wondering of "Milagauss" was someone's name would have really been a stupid question..
Old 17 June 2007, 11:51 AM   #24
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Well the Milgauss is appealing for Modern Rolex owner that want a large Rolex and don't want a Sports Rolex in order to have a 40mm Rolex Sub. Todays Trend is large watches and 40MM is just considered the minimum but the Milgauss has the large oyster case without a rachet bezel or fixed 24 stuff. I hope they add a diamond bezel option to the milgaus!
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2007, 10:08 PM   #25
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Bo! In hindsight, its a good thing I identified myself as a "Newbie" or wondering of "Milagauss" was someone's name would have really been a stupid question..

No problem

There are NO stupid questions here!

BTW:

Why does the "Daytona" not show the DAY?
And do you have to live in the Sea to wear a Sea-Dweller?

Old 18 June 2007, 05:11 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
BTW:

Why does the "Daytona" not show the DAY?
And do you have to live in the Sea to wear a Sea-Dweller?
Talk about stupid questions??!!!!

Old 18 June 2007, 05:37 AM   #27
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

have to agree with

those who are underwhelmed by the Milgauss...the orange...the green...the "shazam!" second hand...all too Batmobile for me. Not sure why Rolex made an homage to a watch that failed (and wasn't needed) the first time around. I would rather see them do a new generation of their Oyster Quartz...and perhaps be a leader in the horological world and lead us all back to 36mm watches, rather than being the last one to the obesity party with their new generations of the Yachtmaster and GMT.

We seem to be in a cycle of wretched excess across the board...800 seat Air Bus...211 mph super cars...buckets o'blood movies and video games...cell phones that do all sorts of things that are of dubious value...and cans of tuna fish posing as wristwatches.

What is it exactly that the Milgauss does that the Explorer 1 or any non-date OP doesn't do?
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 05:37 PM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
What is it exactly that the Milgauss does that the Explorer 1 or any non-date OP doesn't do?

Excellent question!! Give that man a cigar!!

Old 18 June 2007, 06:17 PM   #29
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
a 40 mm case....and more resistant to magnetic fields.......

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 05:11 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
a 40 mm case....and more resistant to magnetic fields.......
Agreed with the 40 mm bit....but who really needs super duper antimagnetism?