The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2024, 01:30 AM   #1
milgaussSD43
"TRF" Member

GMT-II/VTNR first 6 weeks

Was gifted VTNR 6 weeks ago - amazing and humbling gift. Have worn daily, been swimming, working with tools, no restrictions. I love the watch and will be thrilled and honored to wear for years to come, and to pass on to my children some day far in the future. Prior daily wear was SD43 for the past 3 years. Here are my initial impressions.

VTNR is my first jubilee bracelet. I have never been a jubilee fan, but the person who gifted has worn a TT DJ on jubilee for 30+ years, so wearing the jubilee has been fun and made me feel more connected to him. The jubilee breathes well and is very comfortable. For size reference, I have an 8" wrist and the GMT2 jubilee even fully extended and EasyLink out was a bit too tight. One jubilee link purchased at local RSC made the fit perfect:
jubilee-2.jpg

After 6 weeks, the jubilee isn't for me. It feels "too light" and lacks the chunky solidness of the oyster. For me. PCLs also aren't for me (wore on a Milgauss for ~4 years prior to SD43), so I picked up a 97200 Sub bracelet at a local AD and installed a few days ago:
bracelet-2.jpg

I wear the VTNR on my left wrist. I've noticed it's a bit slower to tell the time than on the SD43, perhaps because the cyclops of on the left side of the watch distracts my eye just a bit and "crowds" the space that is normally free when looking at an angle for a quick glance of the time. Not a complaint, but something I've noticed. So I have to bend the arm a bit more with the VTNR to get a good read of the time, which wouldn't be an issue if worn on the right arm:
angle-2.jpg

I use the GMT hand several times per day, as I have business partners that are 14 hours ahead (13 with daylight savings), and it's useful for me to quickly figure out whether their business day has started, or close to ending, or over, etc. Super handy. But I find the contrast between the very thin green GMT hand and the black dial isn't great, so sometimes my eyes have to fish about a bit to find the GMT hand. Not a complaint, just something I've noticed.
face-2.jpg

All in, I love the watch and wouldn't change a thing, thought I am enjoying it even more on the brushed oyster bracelet. Having the GlideLock is really nice too. But I will keep the jubilee with it and will wear from time to time to remind me of and honor the person who gifted.

I contacted my own AD the very day this model came out a few years ago and have been waiting since. If not for some profound and humbling generosity, who knows how much longer I may have had to wait. Of course I could have gone gray any time to get this watch, but, personally, I'm unwilling to go grey for watches. It's not for me. It doesn't "feel good" to me. I prefer to buy at ADs because I like the AD experience and I to support ADs who create physical spaces where I can explore and enjoy and share my hobby. For Rolex, buying at the AD is often cheaper than a grey. But when I buy other brands, I still prefer to buy at the same AD, for the same reasons, even though it's a little more expensive.
milgaussSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 03:43 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Great looking watch.
Old 21 August 2024, 04:21 AM   #3
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
An AD will sell you an Oyster bracelet for a watch it wasn't released with?
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 04:47 AM   #4
N0trub

I love the sub bracelet on your gmt. I have been waiting over a year and a half for this reference. I am about to pull the trigger on a blro but dont love it on jubilee and dont see myself ever wearing polished center links. Love this look now i need to find out if my local ad will sell me this bracelet?
N0trub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:18 AM   #5
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

First off, congrats on such an amazing gift! I absolutely love the VTNR and it's on the top of my list at my AD.. hopefully someday (or some year) I will get one (hopefully before they discontinue it). It's nice to hear about someone wearing their Rolex every day and not being afraid to put wear and tear on it... too many people I see now days keep them for collectors items or investments. Admiringly, I'm older and want to enjoy my timepieces every day and have no interest in saving them for the next guy. I also plan on passing mine down to a special family member, and hopefully they will appreciate it as much as I do.

As far as the bracelet goes, I'm somewhat with you on it- I've had an Oyster for 20 years, and every time I try on a Jubilee I feel like it doesn't feel right on my wrist. If I do end up with a Jubilee on my next watch (I have both Jubilee and Oyster requested because I just want one lol), I suspect I may end up doing the same as you.. but only time will tell.
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:09 AM   #6
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, what a great gift to receive. Enjoy it in the best of health
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:36 AM   #7
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Super gift! I like the VTNR on both bracelets, lately my preference has been the jubilee because they wear better for me and are less likely to get scratches than the oyster bracelet. Picky about scratches on the bracelet. Like you I prefer a heavy bracelet.

Getting a different Rolex bracelet nowadays is very hard, Rolex does not allow it anymore.
Having both bracelets is a plus, you can change the bracelet back for a different look.

Enjoy your wonderful gift!
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:40 AM   #8
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Looks great both ways. I have always had oyster and finally bought a jubilee bracelet and you are correct. It’s lighter feeling, but I also think it may be a bit more comfortable as well. You have both, so best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 07:48 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
What a special gift!
Wear it in good health!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 08:41 PM   #10
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Congrats, beautiful watch!!! I like mine on the jubilee.
Yobber76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:56 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:49 PM   #12
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
My favourite GMT …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:53 PM   #13
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I'm really debating brushing my GMT bracelet but caught in the middle. I like both the PCLS and all brushed look.

I'm also interested in getting a jublieee bracelet haha. Perhaps my end goal is a brushed GMT oyster bracelet with a jubilee as a second change up option.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 11:22 PM   #14
exp90
"TRF" Member

The brushed oyster is superb on this GMT, simpler and more robust, at least aesthetically. Enjoy the watch! I have only seen one Sprite in the wild, assume they are quite rare.
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:32 AM   #15
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
very nice
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:37 AM   #16
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I have Jubilee on my VTNR and PCLs on my BLNRs.
I like the Jubilee and I don't even notice the PCLs anymore vs brushed oyster bracelet on Subs.
They just become part of the watch you're wearing.
Yobber76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:03 PM   #17
RoIIie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgaussSD43 View Post
Was gifted VTNR 6 weeks ago - amazing and humbling gift. Have worn daily, been swimming, working with tools, no restrictions. I love the watch and will be thrilled and honored to wear for years to come, and to pass on to my children some day far in the future. Prior daily wear was SD43 for the past 3 years. Here are my initial impressions.

VTNR is my first jubilee bracelet. I have never been a jubilee fan, but the person who gifted has worn a TT DJ on jubilee for 30+ years, so wearing the jubilee has been fun and made me feel more connected to him. The jubilee breathes well and is very comfortable. For size reference, I have an 8" wrist and the GMT2 jubilee even fully extended and EasyLink out was a bit too tight. One jubilee link purchased at local RSC made the fit perfect:
Attachment 1452962

After 6 weeks, the jubilee isn't for me. It feels "too light" and lacks the chunky solidness of the oyster. For me. PCLs also aren't for me (wore on a Milgauss for ~4 years prior to SD43), so I picked up a 97200 Sub bracelet at a local AD and installed a few days ago:
Attachment 1452965

I wear the VTNR on my left wrist. I've noticed it's a bit slower to tell the time than on the SD43, perhaps because the cyclops of on the left side of the watch distracts my eye just a bit and "crowds" the space that is normally free when looking at an angle for a quick glance of the time. Not a complaint, but something I've noticed. So I have to bend the arm a bit more with the VTNR to get a good read of the time, which wouldn't be an issue if worn on the right arm:
Attachment 1452966

I use the GMT hand several times per day, as I have business partners that are 14 hours ahead (13 with daylight savings), and it's useful for me to quickly figure out whether their business day has started, or close to ending, or over, etc. Super handy. But I find the contrast between the very thin green GMT hand and the black dial isn't great, so sometimes my eyes have to fish about a bit to find the GMT hand. Not a complaint, just something I've noticed.
Attachment 1452967

All in, I love the watch and wouldn't change a thing, thought I am enjoying it even more on the brushed oyster bracelet. Having the GlideLock is really nice too. But I will keep the jubilee with it and will wear from time to time to remind me of and honor the person who gifted.

I contacted my own AD the very day this model came out a few years ago and have been waiting since. If not for some profound and humbling generosity, who knows how much longer I may have had to wait. Of course I could have gone gray any time to get this watch, but, personally, I'm unwilling to go grey for watches. It's not for me. It doesn't "feel good" to me. I prefer to buy at ADs because I like the AD experience and I to support ADs who create physical spaces where I can explore and enjoy and share my hobby. For Rolex, buying at the AD is often cheaper than a grey. But when I buy other brands, I still prefer to buy at the same AD, for the same reasons, even though it's a little more expensive.
congrats on your gift. did you get a clasp with the sub bracelet?
RoIIie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:12 PM   #18
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Congrats and Thank you for your review. This is the only GMTII I like. It is also on my list.
I’m also not a jubilee fan, but do like the pcl on the oyster.
Glad the green gmt fades a bit away

Last edited by madsitalia; 27 August 2024 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote