The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
presario
"TRF" Member

Prediction for the 14060M

I've been talking with some of my knowledgeable Rolex friends and we got onto the topic of the current Submariner (14060M) and its fate. We both agreed that the 14060M would be discontinued at some point because it wouldn't make financial sense for Rolex to continue producing the old Sub case, Oyster bracelets and clasps just to keep the no date Sub in the line up. (I know, I know, much to the chagrin of Submariner loyalists).

So as the conversation progressed, we both agreed that at some point, the 14060M would get the new glidelock clasp, solid link bracelet, ceramic bezel, maxi-dial, and supercase treatment. Which I think are all great upgrades, but I find myself longing to add a classic Sub to my stable as I already have a GMT2C.

I know that the legendary 16610 will finally be discontinued at Besel 2010, but I think the 14060M will survive for one more year. It would be cool if in 2010, the Sub no date was released with the maxi-dial. It would be an awesome way to bow out -- by looking a lot like the 5513 with the ample application of lume. With the Rolex engraving on the rehaut and the COSC certification, it would be one heck of an issue. Probably be a really short run so pretty rare in later years.

Welp, that's the dream anyway. But regardless, I'll be picking up a classic 14060M soon. So sad it's gonna be gone one day.

Here's a rendering of what I think the 14060M could look like with the maxi-dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 14060M maxi.jpg (61.4 KB, 1313 views)
Old 7 October 2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Bon Temps
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Reasonable hypotheses but hypotheses still. Nobody "knows" what Rolex is going to do until after they do it. Stay tuned.....
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Rambam

I didn`t want to take any chanses, so I got me a brand new 14060m a couple of months ago. Not a big fan of the new supercase (tried on the new sub), so this is it to me, no more subs for this guy.
Would be a shame for Rolex to discontinue the 14060, would be like Omega discontinuing the Speedmaster Pro. It`s a BIG part of the heritage and they should be proud of it, not supercasing it
Just my 2cents worth....
Rambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 06:28 AM   #4
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambam View Post
I didn`t want to take any chanses, so I got me a brand new 14060m a couple of months ago. Not a big fan of the new supercase (tried on the new sub), so this is it to me, no more subs for this guy.
Would be a shame for Rolex to discontinue the 14060, would be like Omega discontinuing the Speedmaster Pro. It`s a BIG part of the heritage and they should be proud of it, not supercasing it
Just my 2cents worth....
That's what I did . Bought brand new and keeping it in the safe.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 06:32 AM   #5
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by presario View Post
I've been talking with some of my knowledgeable Rolex friends and we got onto the topic of the current Submariner (14060M) and its fate. We both agreed that the 14060M would be discontinued at some point because it wouldn't make financial sense for Rolex to continue producing the old Sub case, Oyster bracelets and clasps just to keep the no date Sub in the line up. (I know, I know, much to the chagrin of Submariner loyalists).

So as the conversation progressed, we both agreed that at some point, the 14060M would get the new glidelock clasp, solid link bracelet, ceramic bezel, maxi-dial, and supercase treatment. Which I think are all great upgrades, but I find myself longing to add a classic Sub to my stable as I already have a GMT2C.

I know that the legendary 16610 will finally be discontinued at Besel 2010, but I think the 14060M will survive for one more year. It would be cool if in 2010, the Sub no date was released with the maxi-dial. It would be an awesome way to bow out -- by looking a lot like the 5513 with the ample application of lume. With the Rolex engraving on the rehaut and the COSC certification, it would be one heck of an issue. Probably be a really short run so pretty rare in later years.

Welp, that's the dream anyway. But regardless, I'll be picking up a classic 14060M soon. So sad it's gonna be gone one day.

Here's a rendering of what I think the 14060M could look like with the maxi-dial.
Same scenario with the EXP1 only 36mm watch with the old case and bracelet now, also the 1016 was previously the longest unchanged model.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 06:41 AM   #6
presario
"TRF" Member

Yeah, Rolex is doing a huge injustice by discontinuing the 14060M. But as it was discussed many times before on this forum, you have to strive to make advancements in watch tech in order to put out better products and of course to command the premium Rolex charges over other brands as prices continue to increase every year. I for one am not against all the new innovations, actually I even embrace them, but understand that if they have to update a watch and move on, then so be it. The only thing that's clear is that I'm gonna buy one before it's discontinued.
Old 7 October 2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Rambam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
No offence, but I just dont get the idea of having a safequeen, but I guess I dont concider my watches an investment as much as I see them as a hobby and something to be enjoyed and used.
I just dont see myself getting any joy out of having my watches locked up and never being used. Too me that`s like having seatcovers in a brand new car, the only one getting enjoyment out of that, is the person buying the car with mint seats when your pushing up daisies years later....
Rambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2009, 07:48 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

But won't the old sub case be made for decades anyways, in order to maintain 30 years worth of replacements? And besides, isn't it the same case as the Exp. II (which may or may not change in the near future)? It's really just a question of the dial, bezel and clasp, as most other parts seem to be interchangeable with other Rolex watches. Hopefully the classic, original Sub stays in tact.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:02 AM   #9
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
What a waste of a good watch.

Like buying a Ferrari and keeping it in the garage...

Like buying a racehorse and keeping it tied up in the stable...

Old 10 October 2009, 06:09 AM   #10
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post

Preach on Brother..........!!!!!!!!!!!

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:21 AM   #11
Speed
"TRF" Member

Wish I had the spare cash to get one...Pre engraved Rehaut tho.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Alan111
"TRF" Member

I like that idea. 14060M WITH maxi dial. Looks amazing. I would get one for sure.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:56 AM   #13
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post

Well I'm enjoying my digitals right now,it's my training season. I usually keep nicer watches for summer/work time. But yes,I agree,it's a shame to keep hybernated...... It will still look new in spring after all.
Old 10 October 2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Thrasher

Watch: 16710 Coke
Is the 14060 M available with the COSC dial, but without the engraved rehaut? Which serial number would that be?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 07:02 AM   #15
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Is the 14060 M available with the COSC dial, but without the engraved rehaut? Which serial number would that be?
Not available,sorry. I would have loved a non COSC non RRR version...
Old 10 October 2009, 07:03 AM   #16
dweller
"TRF" Member

I dont know how I feel about them discontinuing the 14060m, it could also stay in production as there only TRUE tool watch with out bling ? seems to me the rest of the sport line is going more executive with ceramic and PCL's..

who knows for sure, I for one would love it kept as is only upgraded to maxi dial/hands , that looks outstanding.
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 07:26 AM   #17
mcubed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
But won't the old sub case be made for decades anyways, in order to maintain 30 years worth of replacements? And besides, isn't it the same case as the Exp. II (which may or may not change in the near future)? It's really just a question of the dial, bezel and clasp, as most other parts seem to be interchangeable with other Rolex watches. Hopefully the classic, original Sub stays in tact.
Unfortunately, they are not the same case. The 14060 stands on it's own. My prediction: no upgrades, simply discontinued.
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Thrasher

[QUOTE=gettocard;1392071]Not available,sorry. I would have loved a non COSC non RRR version...[/QUOTE

Why don't you buy one? That's how they come. I wanted one with the certification but no engraving on the rehaut.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:28 AM   #19
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I hope Rolex does not discontinue the 14060M before I get a chance to buy one. I think they are really cool and would go perfectly with what I have now. Plus, it's just a classic.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 09:57 AM   #20
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Looks like a 5513 (which I would much rather have).

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 10:12 AM   #21
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Rolex joining the make it bigger crowd is diminishing the brands image for me.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 11:28 AM   #22
rcher

Watch: Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLinLA View Post
Amen!!
rcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 11:32 AM   #23
Bimmernate

Watch: 14060M
phew, glad i got one living on my wrist
Bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 05:17 PM   #24
Thrasher

I just adjusted the time on my 14060 since getting it back from the RSC two weeks ago. Man, that movement feels dynamite! So...well made. Big difference between it and the more loosey-goosey feel of my GMT's movement. My no-date subby is getting all of my wrist time these days.
Old 11 October 2009, 02:37 PM   #25
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed View Post
Unfortunately, they are not the same case. The 14060 stands on it's own. My prediction: no upgrades, simply discontinued.
So the production of the 14060M is already distinctlly different to that of the sub date?

See no reason why this shouldn't continue after a revision of the sub date. Presumably they will also keep going with the Exp II, for a while at least, with an old style case, so it's not a whole sale change over, just yet.

Reckon there is a few years yet left in the 14060M
al_bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 04:51 PM   #26
adr
"TRF" Member

Guys any updates.
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 05:02 PM   #27
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Temps View Post
Reasonable hypotheses but hypotheses still. Nobody "knows" what Rolex is going to do until after they do it. Stay tuned.....
Agree. While it's very likely that the current Sub-date will be replaced by a ceramic bezel/maxi dial/updated bracelet version, it is by no means a certainty. Personally, I hope the no-date Sub continues as it is to keep it distinct from the others and to fill demand from traditionalists.

Incidentally, according to WIS sources in Singapore, there are rumours of an entirely new sports model to be unveiled at Basel 2010...
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 06:05 PM   #28
USCpaneristi

Watch: Black SS Daytona
I think it will still be around for at least a few more years. I think Rolex recognizes the market for it in the sense that it has kept it about as traditional as can be expected in the modern line: drilled lug holes, "old" case, no frills (though personally, I liked it better when it wasn't COSC certified).

I'd give it a few more years...
USCpaneristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 11:02 PM   #29
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
I'm waiting and more than ready, bring on 2010!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 12:04 AM   #30
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLinLA View Post
X3, not to mention putting PCL's on tool watches.