The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2023, 08:01 AM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Customs Nightmare, Need some Help

Hi Folks,

A while back I had asked for some advice traveling out of the US to a few destinations with a solid gold DD40.

The advice I received was that as long as it is a personal item, I have a receipt etc, then I shouldn't have a problem.

However, I was stopped at customs in India and asked to pay duty which made me jump out of my skin. Regardless of showing the receipt that the watch was purchased in the US, my purpose of visit etc, I was subject to this ordeal. Long story short, I was allowed to finally leave without any duty thanks to the kindness of the officer. The choices I had were to pay duty or leave the watch in their possession until the day of my departure.

This incident really shook me to the core. What does this mean? That I have to pay duty in every country I carry a gold watch? Does anyone know what kind of options tourists or foreigners to other countries have in such cases of travel? Is there anything legal options?

Now, I am bit concerned if I will face any issues while exiting India or if I will have similar issues at the US port of entry.

Anyone with extensive travel history or having visited countries like this can help on this one? Please?
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:03 AM   #2
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Was it on your wrist or in the box within your luggage?
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:09 AM   #3
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
This is the interesting part. It was on my wrist, until I went past immigration, and prior to the exit, all passengers had to have their luggage screened and walk through a metal detector. The signs said, put wallets and belongings in the bag, so I did that and put my watch in my backpack which got detected. One way or the other it would have been detected.

The worst part of this ordeal was that, when it was detected, the first officer informed the customs officical that it was not on my wrist and it was in my bag. What a catch 22 situation.

Now, that is my concern while exiting the country. Do I wear it and go through security or leave it in my bag?
Old 13 December 2023, 08:13 AM   #4
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Just wear the watch.

Never take it off. That is what the wand is for.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:14 AM   #5
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

This is the part of airports that bothers me - what to do with my watch. Bag or tray.. I think wrist until they tell me to take it off.

Interested to hear the responses to this one myself..
Old 13 December 2023, 08:16 AM   #6
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is the part of airports that bothers me - what to do with my watch. Bag or tray.. I think wrist until they tell me to take it off.

Interested to hear the responses to this one myself..
I edited my response to include this "The worst part of this ordeal was that, when it was detected, the first officer informed the customs officical that it was not on my wrist and it was in my bag. What a catch 22 situation."

I think the biggest issue here was that it was a "GOLD" watch.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:18 AM   #7
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"This is the interesting part. It was on my wrist, until I went past immigration, and prior to the exit, all passengers had to have their luggage screened and walk through a metal detector. The signs said, put wallets and belongings in the bag, so I did that and put my watch in my backpack which got detected. One way or the other it would have been detected.

The worst part of this ordeal was that, when it was detected, the first officer informed the customs officical that it was not on my wrist and it was in my bag. What a catch 22 situation."

There was no box or anything, just a protecting pouch so that it doesn't get scratched up in the backpack. I purchased it in the US and was traveling to India.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:18 AM   #8
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
I edited my response to include this "The worst part of this ordeal was that, when it was detected, the first officer informed the customs officical that it was not on my wrist and it was in my bag. What a catch 22 situation."

I think the biggest issue here was that it was a "GOLD" watch.
Yep, maybe best to keep it on your wrist.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:34 AM   #9
sm84
"TRF" Member

Irrespective, of whether it is on the wrist or in the bag, if one gets detained by customs what does that mean? Tourists, visitors, etc can't travel with a gold watch? if that is the case I just would like to know and not carry one.

I wonder if this would be the case with a SS watch that is a Rolex or any other luxury watch.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:37 AM   #10
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Would be nice if all airports could agree to just leave it on the wrist - it’s like all airports have different rules.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:39 AM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It can happen in Thailand, too. The duty paid doesn't always find its way into government coffers. Allegedly.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:47 AM   #12
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

White gold for the win!
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:49 AM   #13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
What a horror story. I am always very careful with my watches (no gold one) depending of the countries I am traveling to.
A lawyer friend of mine advised me not to wear any valuables in countries known for active corruption from the authorities.
Better safe than sorry.
Are you still in India?
168000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:53 AM   #14
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
Quote:
Now, I am bit concerned if I will face any issues while exiting India or if I will have similar issues at the US port of entry.

Anyone with extensive travel history or having visited countries like this can help on this one? Please?
I've never travelled to India but I can speak as to re-entering the USA. I've worn all sorts of watches from the 80's to now and never taken any off or had a customs agent ask me to take it off (I wouldn't unless they took me to a secured space). My 2 cents is that you're probably overthinking this. Things happen and fortunately, nothing negative occurred with your interactions with customs in India. Assume the best, have a plan for the worst, and just move on.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:54 AM   #15
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 168000 View Post
What a horror story. I am always very careful with my watches (no gold one) depending of the countries I am traveling to.
A lawyer friend of mine advised me not to wear any valuables in countries known for active corruption from the authorities.
Better safe than sorry.
Are you still in India?
Yes 😞 which is why I was looking for any help or advice regarding my return.
Old 13 December 2023, 08:55 AM   #16
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Leave the gold at home. Wear another one that won't attract so much attention (and possibly jealousy).
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 08:56 AM   #17
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
I've never travelled to India but I can speak as to re-entering the USA. I've worn all sorts of watches from the 80's to now and never taken any off or had a customs agent ask me to take it off (I wouldn't unless they took me to a secured space). My 2 cents is that you're probably overthinking this. Things happen and fortunately, nothing negative occurred with your interactions with customs in India. Assume the best, have a plan for the worst, and just move on.
Do you take it off at security check? Or do you walk through the detector?
Old 13 December 2023, 08:59 AM   #18
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
Don’t wear expensive watches when you travel to these countries.I travel to India once a year and I wear a seiko
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 09:03 AM   #19
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I suspect this happened because it was in your bag. And if you had the receipt and/or the Rolex box with it, then that would definitely cause you problems.

I've politely refused to take my watch off at airports in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, and they have all been kind enough to let me keep it on. I give them the good ol' puppy face. Most of them don't even ask you to take it off.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 09:05 AM   #20
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP 39, GRNR, SeaQ
Quote:
Do you take it off at security check? Or do you walk through the detector?
I walk through the detector with it on. At no point do I take it off.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 09:11 AM   #21
frank gama
"TRF" Member

The indian regulations clearly state that items of personal jewellery (I assume that would include gold watches) are not liable for duty as long as one intends to take them along back out of the country when departing.
Having said that the Customs bast*rds in India are a law unto themselves, and are answerable to no one.
They will often harass the unfortunate passengers with the sole intention of getting getting a bribe.
Don't even think of leaving your Rolex in their custody. You will never see it again. I'd rather fly back straight out with the Rolex on my wrist.
They do not have dedicated individualised lockers to keep any such items at the airport.
The items are kept in an extremely unkempt/chaotic store room no: xyz and you get a receipt. On your day of return travel, you would need to arrive at least 6 hours before your flight, and beg your way past the various self-important ars*holes to get back to room no xyz, and then its entirely up to you to find your package in the huge unorganised random pile of packages. Good luck with ever seeing your Rolex again. And that's assuming the bast*rds have not pocketed it already. A really big assumption.
Apologies for my language, but Ive been there, more than once (fortunately not Rolex related) and they are nothing less than bast*rds.
Reading your post have brought back the memories and pushed up by blood pressure.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 09:12 AM   #22
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I suspect this happened because it was in your bag. And if you had the receipt and/or the Rolex box with it, then that would definitely cause you problems.

I've politely refused to take my watch off at airports in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, and they have all been kind enough to let me keep it on. I give them the good ol' puppy face. Most of them don't even ask you to take it off.
Exactly my approach.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 09:51 AM   #23
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Sounds like a shakedown to me.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 10:31 AM   #24
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
Exactly.

They were just looking for money.

Never take your watch off going through security.
Old 13 December 2023, 10:36 AM   #25
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

You should travel with a white gold watch, international customs things it's steel and won't bother you
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 10:44 AM   #26
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
^^^^ Big Time !

1. I always keep a photocopy of my receipt with me when I go through customs.

2. Watch NEVER leaves my wrist - NEVER !

The only problem I ever had was back in ‘99 whilst I was returning to Canada, I didn’t have my receipt and they held the watch until I returned the following day with it - then they released the watch.

In Canada (and I assume in other countries also) you can go to the CBSA (local border services) and fill out a form with all the particulars of the watch - which they keep on file.

After that, there is no question re: the watch’s providence.
Old 13 December 2023, 10:58 AM   #27
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
OMG, this is certainly a story. YG (either real or fake) seems to be the jewelry color-of-choice in the Asian subcontinent. They were certainly asking for a bribe. I have never once been asked to remove my watch (Rolex or otherwise) going through customs in any country. Sure, take the belt, take the coins from my pocket, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'd take off a watch. It is unfortunate, but you may want to rethink the "I always travel with a gold Rolex" rule.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:07 AM   #28
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

If you have an Indian passport, it can definitely happen. If you do not it was a completely unjustified shakedown.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:20 AM   #29
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It can happen in Thailand, too. The duty paid doesn't always find its way into government coffers. Allegedly.

Exactly what I was thinking Adam

Sounds like someone was trying to make some easy money. Not uncommon in South Asia
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:24 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
Leave the gold at home. Wear another one that won't attract so much attention (and possibly jealousy).
This completely. Why self-inflict yourself with all this misery and hassle just to wear a DD. The watch and you would have both been much better off just leaving it at home.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs , gold , rolex