The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Automatique | Automatique Lune
Automatique 13 41.94%
Automatique Lune 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 July 2024, 01:36 AM   #1
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Icon2 FPJ Dilemma: Automatique | Automatique Lune

what are your thoughts between automatique and the automatique lune as i am torn between the two.

automatique:
i think the railroad dial is more classic journe but feel the dial has alot of empty space and although i like the dial, some angles i am not so smitten.

automatique lune:
i don't care much for the moon phase, but i like the numerals on the outer dial and the dial seems more filling and symmetrical. the larger guilloche is a nice touch as well.

does anybody know the current msrp of:
  • 40mm automatique platinum on strap
  • 40mm automatique lune platinum on strap

thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1113.jpg (144.5 KB, 167 views)
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 01:45 AM   #2
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

The Automatique is quintessential Journe. I have the previous version which is slightly different from the re-intoduced version. The date was enlarged, the seconds subdial moved up a little to obliterate entirely the 5 & 7 numerals, and the bezel was slightly thinned, making the dial appear larger.

In my opinion, it is an absolutely stunning watch, and far nicer and more unusual than the Lune. It's like a mirror-image French version of the Lange 1.

It's all a matter of personal taste, and you really can't go wrong with either, so get the one you prefer. Both watches have guilloche dials, and the numerals are identical AFAICS.

Old 23 July 2024, 02:57 AM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Octa is more classic FPJ with the asymmetric dial. If the empty space is a concern, why not consider the Octa Lune? The moonphase would help to break up the space.

And I just noticed that the Automatique without the moonphase is no longer avaliable?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 03:20 AM   #4
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Octa is more classic FPJ with the asymmetric dial. If the empty space is a concern, why not consider the Octa Lune? The moonphase would help to break up the space.

And I just noticed that the Automatique without the moonphase is no longer avaliable?
you are absolutely right, missed the lune from the catalogue. fills the dial better while preserving the classic journe look!!

what is current msrp of:
  • 40mm lune platinum on strap
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 04:01 AM   #5
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
you are absolutely right, missed the lune from the catalogue. fills the dial better while preserving the classic journe look!!

what is current msrp of:
  • 40mm lune platinum on strap

Yes, the moon phase on the Lune fills the dial nicely.
MSRP about 57K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 05:25 AM   #6
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
what are your thoughts between automatique and the automatique lune as i am torn between the two.

automatique:
i think the railroad dial is more classic journe but feel the dial has alot of empty space and although i like the dial, some angles i am not so smitten.

automatique lune:
i don't care much for the moon phase, but i like the numerals on the outer dial and the dial seems more filling and symmetrical. the larger guilloche is a nice touch as well.
This is just an opinion, don't shoot me...

This is the sort of disaster which happens if you listen to customers, increase the size of the time display and try to fill up negative space with a moon phase.

The power reserve is now too high - see the pivot is opposite 9 o'clock instead of 8, so the power reserve numbers run into the date, and the L to R balance of the dial is destroyed because the arc of the numbers doesn't match the arc of the time display any more. The clear black numerals and blued hands are gone, so now you can't see what time it is, and the moon phase is at a strange and jaunty angle and looks like a bit of an afterthought.

The whole thing is a mess compared with the original design of the Octa Automatique. This dial needs space to breathe.
Old 23 July 2024, 05:50 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post

This is the sort of disaster which happens if you listen to customers, increase the size of the time display and try to fill up negative space with a moon phase.

The power reserve is now too high - see the pivot is opposite 9 o'clock instead of 8, so the power reserve numbers run into the date, and the L to R balance of the dial is destroyed because the arc of the numbers doesn't match the arc of the time display any more. The clear black numerals and blued hands are gone, so now you can't see what time it is, and the moon phase is at a strange and jaunty angle and looks like a bit of an afterthought.

The whole thing is a mess compared with the original design of the Octa Automatique. This dial needs space to breathe.
The reverse dial or black label of the Octa Automatique are actually quite nice. The empty space becomes a plus in these configurations.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 06:02 AM   #8
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post

The moon phase and the aesthetics are a matter of preference. I don’t think you can go wrong with either piece.

I’m not sure what you mean about the arc of the numbers. Is it the arc of the power reserve numbers? If so, I think it actually lines up better on the Lune, and the pivot point of the PR is now lined up with the pivot point of the time hands.

I for one, prefer the angled moon phase to the horizontal one of the AL2. As for legibility, that’s something I was concerned about at first with the white gold hands and numerals, but it is not an issue at all.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 10:45 AM   #9
dakkonmc
"TRF" Member

The moon phase is beautifully executed. In my opinion is a huge Improvement from the previous Moon
dakkonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 11:09 AM   #10
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Yes, the moon phase on the Lune fills the dial nicely.
MSRP about 57K.

Really really nice

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote