The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2024, 03:13 AM   #1
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
55year watch collecting reflections...

Yep, I am 55 and thinking about what to buy next. Started with Timex, then Seiko, then Casio, then Rado (hey it was the early 90's), then Breitling, to many Panerai, then Rolex, to finally AP. Now looking at Patek. I presume this is a normal progression on this forum, other than famous rich folk that jump right to Patek/RM.

Only problem is I don't really love the look of any of the Pateks. To my eye the Nautilus bracelet looks like a Tissot, and the Aquanaut numbers look like a Timex. The only face that appeals to me is the Pilot. I like the idea of owning the "best" movement mechanical watch with all of the Patek heritage, but you have to love watch to spend that kind of money.

Here are my "opinions" on watches after collecting for 55 years, well maybe 48 since my first watch was when I was 7ish...

1) Watches are to be worn - sitting in the safe is silly

2) Watches tell time - I have some watches that I cannot see the hands in dark settings which now stinks. Watches are not just fancy jewelry. I have friends with Daytonas that they don't even set before weekend dinners. Drives me nuts.

3) Fakes suck - Don't buy a fake watch. Buy the watch you can afford for yourself, for a milestone to remember, not to just impress other people.

4) Rolex's should be on metal bracelets - something about putting rubber or leather on a Rolex never sits well with me

5) Gonna catch heat on this...but men's watches should not have diamonds and not be yellow gold. Just my opinion so settle down.

6) I envy certain watches on other peoples arms, but for some reason I don't like them on my arm. Weird but true.

7) Worry-I really don't want to worry about theft, chipping/damage and high maintenance. Something scares me about AP and Patek vs Rolex on this metric.

8) This is a luxury hobby - We all love to pretend we know about the movements and heritage of the models (I have seen a lot of that on this forum). It is neat to understand the marvel of engineering, but let's never pretend watch collecting is nothing other than a luxury hobby.

9) Gray Dealers - I prefer not to lose money on a watch and will only buy current models at an authorized dealer. Gray dealers for me are only for vintage older models that are not sold currently.

10) Moving On - if a watch is not comfortable and you pass it up in the rotation, sell it. It is like the expensive shoes in my closet that hurt my feet. I never wear them, when I see them I get a little annoyed, and I should just move them on.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 03:40 AM   #2
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Cool story bro. Did you buy the Patek?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 03:42 AM   #3
M@2
"TRF" Member

Same age! I mostly agree. Especially on the watches should be worn. I see this with guitar "collectors" too... So many case/closet queens that should be played and enjoyed. Fakes suck for sure. In fact, this list could be about guitar collecting almost word for word lol!
I do however think Yellow Gold looks great on some men.
M@2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 03:46 AM   #4
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Collect guitars too.....

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2024, 03:47 AM   #5
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Cool story bro. Did you buy the Patek?
not yet.
Old 5 June 2024, 03:52 AM   #6
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Obviously it’s each to their own on this stuff, but I do broadly agree with all your points, except 8 and 9.

On point 8, I agree it is a luxury hobby, but I genuinely have a huge interest in the movement/accuracy/precision and history side of things too.

And on point 9, I too only use them for discontinued pieces (or non-Rolexes), but if I really wanted a modern piece that urgently, I’d have no problem going grey for it
Old 5 June 2024, 03:52 AM   #7
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
I enjoyed this post. I'm 52 and it's always a treat to be privy to the horological journey of someone who experienced life under many of the same backdrops.

My watch journey has been capped due to varying economic challenges along the way, but I agree with your take other than number 4. I think the Daytona PM on Oysterflex is divine.

I really needed to read number 10. I've got to learn to feel comfortable moving on. It may be insecurity or something, but I have always had trouble selling a reference that others speak highly of, even when it doesn't resonate with me. Like, "Maybe they know better than me". It could also be the thought of subconsciously admitting I made a mistake by selling a piece I once were sure would be a long lasting, integral part of my collection.

Cheers Mate!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 04:00 AM   #8
Nick M
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
Only problem is I don't really love the look of any of the Pateks.
Then why bother looking? Don’t force yourself to like something just because it feels like it *should* be the next step in your journey.
Old 5 June 2024, 04:04 AM   #9
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Then why bother looking? Don’t force yourself to like something just because it feels like it *should* be the next step in your journey.
You are correct. I am waiting. Was thinkin about this one...but maybe too small and too dressy.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2024, 04:10 AM   #10
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I've always loved the Calatrava. That's about it as far as patek goes... I'd like a 5196R... The new 6119R is fantastic as well...

Absolutely get a Patek. But if I was buying one, it would be a Calatrava.

I do agree with your points, although I would debate you on no. 9 - With the market softening, you can find many gray watches now under MSRP (after tax is factored in).
Old 5 June 2024, 04:21 AM   #11
Nick M
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
You are correct. I am waiting. Was thinkin about this one...but maybe too small and too dressy. [/IMG]
The 5726 is tough - I think a lot of Patek's can be dressed down...IMO this isn't one of them. There's something about the notched leather that feels formal to me.

On a bracelet, definitely works with jeans and t-shirt.

I'm a big fan of the 5226 as one Patek that can do it all.
Old 5 June 2024, 04:28 AM   #12
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Marc. I share some of them, others not so much, but that’s what makes this hobby so interesting… we all experience it in our own unique way.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 04:32 AM   #13
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I’ve been collecting watches for the last 15 years. I too went on a similar trajectory. Seiko, Breitling, Tudor, JLC, Rolex, AP and I am hoping to pick up my first Patek in a few weeks, a 5205G.

Regarding your comments:

1) agree
2) agree
3) agree
4) yes, never owned an oysterflex. Heard good things but personally prefer bracelet
5) diamonds no, yellow gold yes though. I love the DD
6) everyone’s wrists are different so what might fit you well, might not someone else and visa versa.
7) only wear what you are comfortable, it takes away from the experience.
8) yes and no. I get a lot of enjoyment out of cheaper watches. It’s a collecting hobby imo
9) I avoid grey
10) if you experience it and it’s not for you, nothing wrong with saying it’s not for me. At least give it a try though.

Patek is so diverse. From sports to dress, complicated to simple and vintage/modern. They offer so much. I find it hard to believe that there isn’t any which appeal to you. But if so, go for something else. Lange, VC etc
Old 5 June 2024, 04:53 AM   #14
RolexAwaytheDew
"TRF" Member

This is generally terrific advice, and I largely agree.

I am 58 years old and have been a collector of various things in my life (watches probably ranked #3 or 4 in terms of time and money spent), and these observations hold true, when applicable, for other collectibles.

I will restate one of your points - When thoughts of one of your watches (coins, baseball cards, cars, guitars, or whatever) starts to turn negative (like the expensive shoes not fitting right), it is time to sell it and move on. If money is at all limited, which it is for most but not all, and you would not purchase the same watch (or other collectible) at the current market value, it is time to sell it and replace with a watch (or other) that you will enjoy more.
RolexAwaytheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 04:53 AM   #15
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Most of your comments I agree with the only one I’d change is the yellow gold one I’d love a sub in gold
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 05:14 AM   #16
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Hmm...agree with all but opinions 5 (despite only owning stainless steel sports watches) and 7 (but I am very careful with my watches).
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 05:19 AM   #17
Blanch
"TRF" Member

100% agree on all points, except #4: I have a yellow gold Day Date 40.
I especially agree with point #10: about the expensive shoes in your closet that you never wear because they hurt your feet, but you still keep. I was guilty of that. I finally gave all those shoes away.
Great post.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 06:11 AM   #18
onnomon
"TRF" Member

Need more guitars in that collection!

HYPNOTOAD: you never really own a Patek, we own you, you never really own a Patek, we own you, you never really own....

First and foremost you must like the look, any watch, unless you were a flipper.

There are plenty of up-market options that are on-par with the detail quality however Patek has THE brand cachet. Maybe that draws you in (there is hype involved too), and the look becomes secondary. There is nothing wrong with this approach however you mentioned the need of want-to-wear. There are plenty of Calatrava models to choose, vastly different from each other.

Regarding the brand cachet (which is weighed towards its history), there is also some I call "brand attitude" and this is where my (everyone has their own) perception has steered me away from Patek. This is an amalgamation of the brand's actions, marketing, styling, etc. I personally did not feel that Patek, as a whole, suited my "vibe" or attitude in life. Just look at the marketing and images. I ended up swapping my 5110R (still a beautiful watch) for an ALS L1 moonphase. These days, Lange is starting to play the high-exclusivity game (the definition of luxury) and it's making me weary when I think about. Fortunately I don't think about that much. Honestly, much of Swiss watch industry seem to be playing more games with pricing and availability.

I just want a selection of nice, beautiful watches, to be worn and with a variety of looks. So my attitude is similar although I am softening towards yellow gold- the Omega Speedmaster Moonshine gold has me salivating, like its a chocolate or something.

Maybe you should live with a Patek for some time, then decide.

cheers!
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 07:58 AM   #19
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
We are the same age and my two addictions (well 3 if you count baseball memorabilia) are watches and guitars. Lots of both. I don’t really disagree with any of your assertions except the one about metal bracelets - have two new WG Rolex on OF and like wearing some vintage pieces on straps to preserve the bracelet - but beside that I guess I’d only add the adage I’ve seen before is that we all eventually come back to Rolex in some fashion - vintage included. Traveled the same path as many before me have - we’ve seen and talked about it before - mall watches >> Tag >> Breitling >> aspire to Rolex >> Rolex >> AP >> PP >> RM >> Rolex >> Vintage Rolex —- I still own most of those brands as I have fine-tuned my collection over the years, but if I had to pick one brand to only own - it’d be Rolex (and Gibson for guitars btw). Not much in current AP or PP lineup excites me and RM is off the charts price-wise - glad I got the ones I have when I did. Buy what you like and enjoy the ride!
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 08:10 AM   #20
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Marc, I thought you have been collecting for 55 years. Glad to hear your younger and still a lot to come.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 09:31 AM   #21
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I am 68 and have had mechanical watches since my teens. I have never really followed any certain “progression,” I just buy what I want.
I don’t consider myself a brand whore either. I’ve probably had more Seikos than any other brand, for “nicer” watches I’ve had a dozen Rolex. But I’ve also had Omega, Panerai, Eberhard, Breitling, Hublot, and a gaggle of microbrands.
Two things I’ve never owned are PM watches or haut horology such as Patek. I have always worn my watches for anything so gold and/or less than rugged just doesn’t fit my lifestyle. I did consider a Patek in the early 2000’s when Aquanaut and Nautilus models were readily available for $7-8K, they even had a SS complication model then for around $11K. It’s absurd to me what they go for now.
I have no regrets about my journey. One of my favorite things is gifting Seikos to the young men and women I know mostly from my cycling hobby. My hope is to spark a love for little machines on their wrists that they too will pass on to others.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 09:39 AM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have been collecting for only 8 years and I have only 1 insight to share - buy what you like.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 10:24 AM   #23
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

To the OP -

Thank you for your reflections and perspective on your hobby of watch and horology collecting - very profound.
May you Live Long and Prosper…..
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 10:57 AM   #24
marc2828
"TRF" Member

thank you to all that replied and gave great advice. I may have to try an Oysterflex so I will eat my words on rubber on Rolex. And my yellow gold comment should be clarified to two-tone. I do think all yellow gold is dressy and classy. Sorry if I offended anyone on that comment.
Old 5 June 2024, 11:28 AM   #25
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Disagree on grey. I wanted a Daytona. Don’t care what anyone says, don’t have time or want to suck up to some salesman at the local AD. Don’t want to wait for someone to call me. I want it, I’ll get it.
Wingman244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 11:55 AM   #26
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I like hearing someone’s well thought out views and the evolution of their collecting.
For me, I don’t conform to any standards. I have a diverse collection. Expensive, cheap, tool, dress. My only real rule is to buy what I like. I don’t speculate or look at watches as an appreciating asset. They are fun toys.
There is certainly something about Rolex that keeps people. If you aren’t crazy about Patek, you would be crazy to buy a Patek!
Old 5 June 2024, 01:26 PM   #27
NiJaRo1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
Interesting perspectives on your watch collecting journey and preferences.

For me personally: I try not to get too caught up in what I “should” buy, or what my watch trajectory “should” be - though status quo influence can be hard to avoid.

Patek has a lot of variety - if you find one you like and decide to pull the trigger, hopefully it’s on something you can actually purchase direct from a boutique/AD.
I do like the 5726 you posted - that’s going to be a tough to purchase from an AD; you may have to break your Grey Market rule (if I read it correctly).

Regarding your point #5:

What is it about men wearing yellow gold watches that you dislike - too blingy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NiJaRo1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 02:08 PM   #28
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
70% in agreement - differ on 5,8,9
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 02:17 PM   #29
noshame
"TRF" Member

Very enjoyable read. Thank you for sharing.
Old 5 June 2024, 02:21 PM   #30
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
I've had a similar journey as yours, and I'm just a little older. In recent years, though, I came full circle back to Seiko and Casio G-Shock. Just gotta get a Timex now and my half-century journey will be complete, and all will be right with the world.