The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2023, 10:13 PM   #1
msum
"TRF" Member

Vintage AP dealer?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend me a vintage AP dealer?

Perhaps like someone analogous to Eric Ku, but for AP rather than Rolex?

Thanks!
msum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 12:59 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Would also be interested in the answer. ponti-collection.ch often has some vintage AP eye-candy, but I have never dealt with them.

Speaking of Eric Ku - his Loupe This is currently auctioning a 15000SA with hilariously misaligned bezel bolts - wtf: https://loupethis.com/auctions/audem...tone-automatic
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2023, 07:29 AM   #3
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Material Good in NYC has some really interesting and unique vintage pieces - was just there a few days ago and they had pieces ranging from Jules Audemars pieces (including a QP), Concept Tourb, Nigeria-exclusive RO, and many more. If you're after a specific piece that they don't have, I'm sure they could likely source it. Greg is my guy there, and is super knowledgeable about watches - and is awesome to work with!
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2023, 01:33 AM   #4
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msum View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend me a vintage AP dealer?

Perhaps like someone analogous to Eric Ku, but for AP rather than Rolex?

Thanks!
Amsterdam Vintage watches!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:16 AM   #5
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Vintage AP dealer?

In Singapore, most impressive AP collection I have ever seen (AP dedicated).

http://pygmaliongallery.com/

Some pics from my visit in March

Worth an afternoon
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 08:47 AM   #6
Reign
"TRF" Member

Watches.de and K2 Luxury on the grey side for the occasional vintage piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 10:34 AM   #7
AgentDouble07
Banned

Loupethis ...be careful

Speaking of Eric Ku - his Loupe This is currently auctioning a 15000SA with hilariously misaligned bezel bolts - wtf:

Unfortunately I have to report an annoying “incident” during a purchase with Loupe This. I am a returning customer having completed previously 2 auctions without any issue.
My 3rd purchase, the most expensive of all, was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202ST, one of the most iconic and well know watches in the world, $50,600, not a small sum.

The watch was advertised as complete with box and blank guarantee, and 12 pictures. Was rated 9 out of 10 for conditions “near-mint”, their report also added “Cases exhibits crisp surfaces and sharp chamfered edges.” Watch was identified at “Circa 2000”.

I am an avid collector and among many other luxury timepieces, I own already a 15202ST, different dial color, and my guarantee papers are also unsigned/unnamed, although they do report the details of the watch, its serial number, dial code and reference.
My other watch is an F serial number, full set with original box and documents, this watch is also an F serial number, they are 81 serial numbers away, which means they were produced weeks apart.

As I receive my box and unpack the content and read the serial, I immediately realized that both the box and the documents included with this watch were not belonging to this AP. The box was from a previous era, it even included a completely different number/serial sticker on a side, the papers/warranty were also from a previous era, without any detail of the reference, dial code or serial number.

The watch was not in near mint conditions, it had a very deep scratch on the bracelet that was not reported and most importantly was heavily polished, with edges rounded and not sharp as they should be and were advertised.

I immediately contact Loupe This letting them know about these issues and giving them the benefit of the doubt of a mistake in packing the box/documents. In summary they limited their reply to “watch is sold as is” and did not confront me in any way on the multiple misleading and wrong information about this listing, and the box/paper that were most likely purchased on eBay by consignor and tied to this watch.

I asked to return the watch, as I collect only full sets, or to obtain a 20% credit, as that is the value on average of box and papers. I told them I could not pay for a mistake they made.

Their last reply was including their attorney, after I told them I had to inform the DCA and the watch community of what happened.

Be aware, they pride themselves as experts, vetting and guaranteeing their timepieces, this time the made a big mistake, and even worse customer care. They lost a wealthy client, and I just warn you, hoping you do not fall into the same trap.
AgentDouble07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 01:38 PM   #8
fumanku
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys-

Infrequent poster here (but not as infrequent as the OP) but many if you guys know me.

OP complains about the watch and papers he received when the listing on the site had no less than 13 unedited images showing exactly what he was getting- including the papers and box that were included. In the description, it even mentioned that the papers included were blank. Not "open", but completely blank.

In an email exchange at the conclusion of the auction and prior to him sending payment, we again reiterate that the papers are completely blank and he still proceeds to send payment.

Rude emails commence once the watch is received, with the buyer, demanding $10k in compensation, further threatening to report us to the "DCA" and share with hundreds of thousands of internet people about us, then throwing shade at my business partner and myself in the process while continually throwing subtle insults at the operation. At this point we cease communication and let our attorney handle further communication on our behalf.

The website says several times "All Sales Final" and he further agreed upon this when he clicks the disclaimers during the bidding process. It couldn't be more clear. While we have in the past made concessions to make customers happy or to right a perceived wrong, this OP chose the threatening route to approach us and of course we do not negotiate with terrorists.

With literally thousands of transactions with happy buyers and sellers, we are confident in our track record and have nothing to hide.
fumanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 11:49 PM   #9
FlashinLeather
"TRF" Member

https://loupethis.com/auctions/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-jumbo-15202st

This appears to be the watch - for anyone interested.
FlashinLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 12:50 AM   #10
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentDouble07 View Post
Speaking of Eric Ku - his Loupe This is currently auctioning a 15000SA with hilariously misaligned bezel bolts - wtf:

Unfortunately I have to report an annoying “incident” during a purchase with Loupe This. I am a returning customer having completed previously 2 auctions without any issue.
My 3rd purchase, the most expensive of all, was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202ST, one of the most iconic and well know watches in the world, $50,600, not a small sum.

The watch was advertised as complete with box and blank guarantee, and 12 pictures. Was rated 9 out of 10 for conditions “near-mint”, their report also added “Cases exhibits crisp surfaces and sharp chamfered edges.” Watch was identified at “Circa 2000”.

I am an avid collector and among many other luxury timepieces, I own already a 15202ST, different dial color, and my guarantee papers are also unsigned/unnamed, although they do report the details of the watch, its serial number, dial code and reference.
My other watch is an F serial number, full set with original box and documents, this watch is also an F serial number, they are 81 serial numbers away, which means they were produced weeks apart.

As I receive my box and unpack the content and read the serial, I immediately realized that both the box and the documents included with this watch were not belonging to this AP. The box was from a previous era, it even included a completely different number/serial sticker on a side, the papers/warranty were also from a previous era, without any detail of the reference, dial code or serial number.

The watch was not in near mint conditions, it had a very deep scratch on the bracelet that was not reported and most importantly was heavily polished, with edges rounded and not sharp as they should be and were advertised.

I immediately contact Loupe This letting them know about these issues and giving them the benefit of the doubt of a mistake in packing the box/documents. In summary they limited their reply to “watch is sold as is” and did not confront me in any way on the multiple misleading and wrong information about this listing, and the box/paper that were most likely purchased on eBay by consignor and tied to this watch.

I asked to return the watch, as I collect only full sets, or to obtain a 20% credit, as that is the value on average of box and papers. I told them I could not pay for a mistake they made.

Their last reply was including their attorney, after I told them I had to inform the DCA and the watch community of what happened.

Be aware, they pride themselves as experts, vetting and guaranteeing their timepieces, this time the made a big mistake, and even worse customer care. They lost a wealthy client, and I just warn you, hoping you do not fall into the same trap.
$10k credit for dissatisfaction with box and papers seems a bit much. I have not seen a 15202 for 40k naked in the recent times. It still seems like a nice 20 year old watch to wear and enjoy. If you were looking for a museum grade piece this was never going to be it. I have never seen a box indicating a serial number before so that confuses me a bit.

"Near mint" when indicated by dealers usually suggests polished. A "mint" watch is polished to "like new" and a "near mint" sounds like the watch you received with the scratches polished but still evident.

I still think you got a fair deal. Loupethis pictures exceed the larger auction houses in terms of information. Collecting is a journey with some lessons along the way, some expensive ones too. I think you did ok on this purchase, so I'd say leave the lawyers out of it and move on to the next one.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote