The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2023, 06:20 AM   #1
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
26240, 2 months old and water damaged

Dear watch friends,

I hope this message finds you all well. Today, I come to share my recent experience with my Audemars Piguet 26240 Royal Oak timepiece. I purchased this watch with high hopes, being enamored by its beauty and reputation. However, my excitement soon turned into disappointment when water seeped into the watch, forcing me to send it in for service just under two months after buying it.

To make matters worse, I'm not the only one facing issues with an Audemars Piguet timepiece. A close friend of mine, who owns a three hands model of the Royal Oak, purchased less than a year ago, had the watch suddenly stop working without any apparent cause.

Previously, I shared a lengthy post about my initial issues with 41mm ROC (too thick and way outside the RO original vision), but now, I feel compelled to write this follow-up message expressing my deep frustration and disillusionment with the brand. I have been a watch enthusiast for years and have owned several timepieces from different brands, but I must admit, I have never been more disappointed with a watch brand than I am with Audemars Piguet.

As a community of watch aficionados, I believe it is essential for us to share our experiences, both positive and negative. By doing so, we can help each other make informed decisions and perhaps bring attention to recurring issues like the ones some of us have faced with Audemars Piguet timepieces.

It's disheartening to see such issues in watches that bear the prestigious Royal Oak name.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:23 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Just under two months ago, did you buy it new from an AD, or pre-owned from another source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:33 AM   #3
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Frustrating but it happens.
Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to get repaired.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:52 AM   #4
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Just under two months ago, did you buy it new from an AD, or pre-owned from another source?
The main AP own’s boutique in Geneva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Frustrating but it happens.
Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to get repaired.
4 weeks minimum, it’s going for a full service. Really not happy as I know very well it’s going to come back with scratches and specks of dust and other issues.
Old 29 July 2023, 07:54 AM   #5
77T

Then that’s a massive disappointment. I hope they clear the problem pronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:28 AM   #6
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear! Must be incredibly frustrating. Is there any chance they would replace the watch with a new one as it’s only been two months?
Old 29 July 2023, 08:30 AM   #7
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

^No. why would they give him a new watch when he probably has a visibly used watch.

To the OP, since you posted a large thread about exiting the brand, I imagine this will only add to that. Hopefully you find a company you are more able to understand/work with.
Old 29 July 2023, 09:03 AM   #8
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

^ hmm I see.

Just had a look at the other thread, OP thanks for the warning and hope you find other timepieces which you are happier with.
Old 29 July 2023, 10:23 AM   #9
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
^ hmm I see.

Just had a look at the other thread, OP thanks for the warning and hope you find other timepieces which you are happier with.
Mmm, it looks there’s a theme appearing here I feel……
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 11:54 AM   #10
APhound
"TRF" Member

Too bad. Frustrating for sure.
When I bought my chrono, my timing was bad, had no relationship, paid like 20 over and it was running crazy crazy slow. Had to send it in immediately. Got it back and had the exact same problem right away. Had to send it back again. I was very unhappy to say the least.
The problem was resolved and I’m over it. I love the watch and now have a great relationship and have gotten three more and they’re all perfect. They’re my favorite watches to wear and I love the brand. That frustration is just a distant memory now.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever is next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 12:12 PM   #11
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

My CODE had (actually still has) an issue with the movement. After winding it for 20-30 times there is a loud clicking sound (louder than one you change the date). This was after 1 month buying it from AP House HK. I've sent it for service, they couldn't find anything. My RO has the same movement, can't hear the clicking sound when winding it.

3 months later, there was a small gold particle on the dial. Back into service, they removed the gold particle. I asked where the gold particle came from, no straight answer...
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:13 PM   #12
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Ive had plenty of RO in my journey. The best movements were the ones that weren’t inhouse, ironically. Ive since left the brand because I refuse to play their games but the quality concerns are quite concerning.
Old 29 July 2023, 02:25 PM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
As a community of watch aficionados, I believe it is essential for us to share our experiences, both positive and negative.
Probably so, although one could argue how many times the same experience needs to be shared. On the positive, wearing my 2019 15500 today (only watch I brought on a current 1 month trip), and it's continuing to run just as well as always, w/o service so far (like all of our other six APs).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:38 PM   #14
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I’m curious to how this happened? The crown wasn’t screwed right?
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:13 PM   #15
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Then that’s a massive disappointment. I hope they clear the problem pronto.
It’s summer holidays for the manufacture, so my watch is not even going to Le Brassus, but Tolochenaz… it’s a month minimum. And god knows what sorry state (dust, scratches, etc.) I’m going to recover my watch in.

Quote:
Sorry to hear! Must be incredibly frustrating. Is there any chance they would replace the watch with a new one as it’s only been two months?
I don’t think they would, though they could if they felt extra nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
^No. why would they give him a new watch when he probably has a visibly used watch.

To the OP, since you posted a large thread about exiting the brand, I imagine this will only add to that. Hopefully you find a company you are more able to understand/work with.
My watch is indeed used and already has a few scratches from regular use. Indeed I’m now definitely going to end this AP affair. I have enough stress in my life to wonder what’s going to happen to my watches. I have 30yo watches I swim with that have no issues whatsoever. AP quality control is nonexistent.

Quote:
^ hmm I see.

Thanks! Let’s say this validates my passion for Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Mmm, it looks there’s a theme appearing here I feel……
How do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
My CODE had (actually still has) an issue with the movement. After winding it for 20-30 times there is a loud clicking sound (louder than one you change the date). This was after 1 month buying it from AP House HK. I've sent it for service, they couldn't find anything. My RO has the same movement, can't hear the clicking sound when winding it.

3 months later, there was a small gold particle on the dial. Back into service, they removed the gold particle. I asked where the gold particle came from, no straight answer...
The lack of transparency is what gets to me the most. Fake smiles and bad faith are not a luxury experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Ive had plenty of RO in my journey. The best movements were the ones that weren’t inhouse, ironically. Ive since left the brand because I refuse to play their games but the quality concerns are quite concerning.
Somehow I applaud AP for doing in house chrono, it’s not easy. But yeah, precious calibers were superb looking with excellent performance (and thinner!).
I regret getting this 41, should have insisted on a 38mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
I’m curious to how this happened? The crown wasn’t screwed right?
I noticed it after washing my hands in my office. The crown was properly screwed. A haze started forming under the glass, and I immediately knew this was not good. At first I thought it was soap residue so I rinsed the watch, and when it stayed as it was, I knew my 35k watch was toasted.
Old 29 July 2023, 08:26 PM   #16
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope this message finds you all well. Today, I come to share my recent experience with my Audemars Piguet 26240 Royal Oak timepiece. I purchased this watch with high hopes, being enamored by its beauty and reputation. However, my excitement soon turned into disappointment when water seeped into the watch, forcing me to send it in for service just under two months after buying it.
Thinking about this a little more, the whole dramatic rendition of your AP experience is a bit much. First, contrary to the impression from your paragraph here ("enamored by its beauty"), you stated in your other opus that you got tired of the watch right away: "A few months ago, I finally got it and from day 1 I’ve had doubts" and then decided you'd be "Exiting the brand", apparently due to your own choice of buying a watch bigger than your liking.

Second, the thing isn't "water damaged", it has some condensation ("water haze started forming under the crystal"), which if rectified promptly will have no consequence whatsoever. I have a Speedmaster that suffered from some condensation a decade ago, and after an eventual service continues to run just fine to this day. Shouldn't happen of course, but sometimes it does - not sure if the handwringing PSA is really warranted.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 29 July 2023, 09:18 PM   #17
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Thinking about this a little more, the whole dramatic rendition of your AP experience is a bit much. First, contrary to the impression from your paragraph here ("enamored by its beauty"), you stated in your other opus that you got tired of the watch right away: "A few months ago, I finally got it and from day 1 I’ve had doubts" and then decided you'd be "Exiting the brand", apparently due to your own choice of buying a watch bigger than your liking.

Second, the thing isn't "water damaged", it has some condensation ("water haze started forming under the crystal"), which if rectified promptly will have no consequence whatsoever. I have a Speedmaster that suffered from some condensation a decade ago, and after an eventual service continues to run just fine to this day. Shouldn't happen of course, but sometimes it does - not sure if the handwringing PSA is really warranted.
It's important to acknowledge that people have different emotional experiences and responses to various situations. While you may approach things stoically, others, like myself, might express their feelings more openly. It's crucial to respect these differences in emotional expression and understand that it doesn't invalidate the validity of the experience.

I want to emphasize that my watch has indeed experienced water damage. The presence of condensation under the crystal is a clear indication of water ingress. While I understand that some watches, like your Speedmaster, may have endured similar issues without severe consequences, it's essential to consider that every watch is unique, and the extent of damage can vary. In the case of my ROC, the water haze can cause noticeable malfunctions that require a full service to restore its functionality.

It is true that opinions may differ, and I respect your right to hold your own perspective. However, I find it strange that your reply seemed to dismiss the significance of my situation while implying that my post was not worthy of consideration. As a forum member, I believe it is valuable to foster a supportive and understanding community where we can discuss our experiences openly.
Old 29 July 2023, 09:23 PM   #18
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
So it was a used watch.

Was the service history made clear to you when you bought it?

If not, you should have had it tested before swimming or subjected it to water.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:50 PM   #19
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

I thought you bought your watch brand new from the AP boutique?
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:09 PM   #20
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's important to acknowledge that people have different emotional experiences and responses to various situations. While you may approach things stoically, others, like myself, might express their feelings more openly. It's crucial to respect these differences in emotional expression and understand that it doesn't invalidate the validity of the experience.

I want to emphasize that my watch has indeed experienced water damage. The presence of condensation under the crystal is a clear indication of water ingress. While I understand that some watches, like your Speedmaster, may have endured similar issues without severe consequences, it's essential to consider that every watch is unique, and the extent of damage can vary. In the case of my ROC, the water haze can cause noticeable malfunctions that require a full service to restore its functionality.

It is true that opinions may differ, and I respect your right to hold your own perspective. However, I find it strange that your reply seemed to dismiss the significance of my situation while implying that my post was not worthy of consideration. As a forum member, I believe it is valuable to foster a supportive and understanding community where we can discuss our experiences openly.
Wondering if any minimal condensation is proof of water ingress. I would assume even a water proof watch isn't air tight and the humidity inside will be close to the humidity in the ambient air. Assume you have a temperature of say 35 or 40 degrees C with very high humidity and you immerse your watch in 15 degrees C cold water. The temperature will instantly drop by 20 or 25 degrees C. I wouldn't be surprised about some condensation under the crystal if the humid air inside your watch had become saturated at the lower temperature.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:10 PM   #21
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
So it was a used watch.

Was the service history made clear to you when you bought it?

If not, you should have had it tested before swimming or subjected it to water.
I think OP got it brand new. What he probably meant is that he had used it from day one and that it has some scratches by now.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:19 PM   #22
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I think OP got it brand new. What he probably meant is that he had used it from day one and that it has some scratches by now.
In post #15 he says the watch is used … I guess I took that to mean it was not new.
Old 30 July 2023, 12:59 AM   #23
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
In post #15 he says the watch is used … I guess I took that to mean it was not new.
Think he means currently. As in AP isn't going to replace his currently used watch with a new watch.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 01:03 AM   #24
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Think he means currently. As in AP isn't going to replace his currently used watch with a new watch.
Got it

Not a good look for a brand new purchased, 2 month old used watch

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 30 July 2023, 01:50 AM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I want to emphasize that my watch has indeed experienced water damage. The presence of condensation under the crystal is a clear indication of water ingress. In the case of my ROC, the water haze can cause noticeable malfunctions that require a full service to restore its functionality.
Which parts did AP say were damaged by the moisture?

I once arrived at a Porsche dealership to ask about the status of repairs on my 911, which I had dropped off for a seatbelt warning light a few weeks earlier. I then saw the car in the shop up on a lift, with the engine sitting on a trolley on the floor. I was amused. I didn't write a novel about it on rennlist, even though it makes for a good story.
Old 30 July 2023, 03:03 AM   #26
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I once arrived at a Porsche dealership to ask about the status of repairs on my 911, which I had dropped off for a seatbelt warning light a few weeks earlier. I then saw the car in the shop up on a lift, with the engine sitting on a trolley on the floor. I was amused. I didn't write a novel about it on rennlist, even though it makes for a good story.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 03:20 AM   #27
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice, thank you for letting us know you didn't write a story about it.

Perhaps one day you might write a book of all things you didn't write about?
Old 30 July 2023, 03:25 AM   #28
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But was there water damage...
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 04:30 AM   #29
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Quote:

Between his other post and this one, it’s purely an attention-seeking crusade at this point. Doesn’t matter what anyone says, he’s going to continue being bitter and carrying on.. probably best to not feed the troll any further at this point lol

neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 06:38 AM   #30
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal.jy View Post
Between his other post and this one, it’s purely an attention-seeking crusade at this point. Doesn’t matter what anyone says, he’s going to continue being bitter and carrying on.. probably best to not feed the troll any further at this point lol

Do we really have anything better to do though? It’s Sat - I have time :)