The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 April 2016, 05:31 PM   #1
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Official watch of the Navy Seals?

I saw a recent ad stating LeCoultre made the official watch for the Navy Seals.
It reminded me of the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf.
When I first got into watches in the early 90's, I remembered it was advertised as the official watch of the Navy Seals.
It just so happened that I had a friend from High School, who entered the Naval Academy, then went into the Seals, after graduating.
So, when he came back to our hometown for Christmas break,( I believe 1994), I had to ask him. "What watch do you guys use when you dive?" I was hoping he could get me a deal on the Zodiac, but I was a little disappointed when he replied, "A Timex Indiglo".
I read on another forum that the Casio G-Shock was in use now.

Just thought this was an interesting story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-04-03-02-15-31.jpg (46.1 KB, 668 views)
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 08:43 PM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Yes JLC made a "Navy SEALs" watch a few years back. It was a good looking watch but the tie-in was a bit silly. You are probably right that those guys wear G-shocks.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 04:48 AM   #3
Powrsurg
"TRF" Member

I have a friend who is a seal. He had mentioned once before to me how funny it is that many say the make this or that for seals and Seals never see them. If I learned anything about them, they are pretty functional and utilitarian in their approach to equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Powrsurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 5 April 2016, 09:02 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Hahahaha talk about false advertisement, like Patek saying all their watches keep or gain their value, yeah the owners of grey dial 5960p might not agree 100%. I know that the italian divers used Panerai and the french divers used Blancpain, but that was a long time ago, and I can totally see that a G-shock wouldmbe much more useful for them, they have compass, light, chrono, countdown and god knows what else when a normal dive watch has time and date, no professional diver, army or civilian uses what we refer to as dive watches, they either use special equipment made for diving, usually digital, or things like g-shocks, tomthink that some still dive with a Blancpain, Pam, JLC or Rolex is really funny, they did but that was a long time ago, now technology has provided them with watches which are much better suited for their needs. Was a funny thread though, thanks

Here is what the timex indiglo looks like, yeah, not our idea of the cool dive watch

image.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrsurg View Post
I have a friend who is a seal. He had mentioned once before to me how funny it is that many say the make this or that for seals and Seals never see them. If I learned anything about them, they are pretty functional and utilitarian in their approach to equipment.

Yeah don't think when they choose a watch they choose the one which looks the coolest, especially if they are on operations they need to be a few days isolated and we hate them here but they need the best accuracy and you don't get that from our watches but from quartz watches, as they can't launch an attack with a few seconds difference, but at the exact same time, and we see them as crappy but quartz is the most accurate no question...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Powrsurg
"TRF" Member

While I know these Seal types are highly trained and super professional, I can't help but wonder if they would be a bit more cautious if you put a fine timepiece on their wrist. I'd tend to think a good watch for these guys is one that can take a beating and easy to replace.

Old 5 April 2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

The ones I have known are all West Coast-based, and they frequently own RESCOs because the owner of Resco is a former SEAL and his shop is based in Coronado. There is no 'official Nacy SEAL watch,' the Navy isn't even compensated when companies use their name and logos because it cannot be trademarked. Same goes for the Blue Angels. Companies just request permission to use their logos and what-have-you.

Military folks frequently wear G-Shocks, Marathons, and cheap quartz watches. Some Aviators wear Breitlings. Suuntos are also rising in popularity.
Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 11:06 AM   #8
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Most SF guys including SEALS use g-Shock's.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Powrsurg
"TRF" Member

I just checked out a few Resco watches. Is there anyone here that would spend $500+ on a battery watch? I wouldn't.

Old 5 April 2016, 03:35 PM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
OMG that Resco rip-off ad. The only thing that is missing is: "If you were parachuting behind enemy lines tomorrow..."
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 06:19 PM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
OMG that Resco rip-off ad. The only thing that is missing is: "If you were parachuting behind enemy lines tomorrow..."
Old 5 April 2016, 06:25 PM   #12
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
what ever is on the issue sheet ,, why break your own kit , when you can loose or break some one elses.
issue kit is usually pretty good , yep , there is the odd exception.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 06:26 PM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrsurg View Post
I just checked out a few Resco watches. Is there anyone here that would spend $500+ on a battery watch? I wouldn't.

Well you have autos for 1750, there are even 3k models what a rip off brand IMO
Old 5 April 2016, 11:25 PM   #14
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

I own a Hooper. It's definitely a niche brand.

More about the company: http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/e...e-or-downtown/
Old 6 April 2016, 12:20 AM   #15
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
G-Shock isn't necessarily the cheapest option for the SEALs

G-Shouck Budget-buster
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:39 AM   #16
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
G-Shock isn't necessarily the cheapest option for the SEALs

G-Shouck Budget-buster

And you have to go to Tourneau to get one. Bad service and a budget buster, doesn't that sound like a great time??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 12:46 AM   #17
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
watches often tended to be bought from the chogie shop ,,, i remember clearly using the phrase ,,

they lie, like a cheap chogie watch ,,, now theres a blast from the past.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 02:51 AM   #18
ocabj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
The Navy SEAL Trident symbol can be used on products where the company licenses the logo from the Navy Trademark Licensing Program Office. That's all.

No product is an 'official' Navy SEAL product. If you look at that ad, it actually says, "The Office Watch of the Navel Special Warfare's Underwater Demolition Team - SEAL Association." Emphasis added to SEAL Association.

The Navy SEALs as a part of the USN cannot endorse a product. They might even use specific items, but in no way do they specifically endorse the use of that given product.

As far as watches used by SEALs, I don't personally know any, but I run into NSW folks at MCBCP every once in a while, and there's no standard that I've seen. It's whatever these guys happen to buy on their own or someone gave to them. They're not issued this stuff.
Old 6 April 2016, 03:15 AM   #19
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mark IV Red Sub
My Boss for the last 7 years was a Navy SEAL,(SEAL Team 8, saw some action in the Balkans War), and his father was UDT. He told me when he was in, early 90's, other than firearms and dedicated equipment, each SEAL chose their own personal equipment. Web gear, watch, etc.

My Boss liked G-Shocks

Interesting footnote: My Boss was in high school when Marcinko and "Red Cell" occurred. His father,(UDT history with Marcinko), was contracted to video tape their incursions. My Boss went along on several of these to help. I think this legacy is part of what lead him to the SEAL's.

His father was also one of the "UDT Frogmen" who recovered a Gemini Capsule, this later got him on live TV with Walter Cronkite describing the live recovery of another capsule.

My Boss quit about a month ago, he started his own company in the financial sector.
VaRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2016, 04:03 AM   #20
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
The Navy SEAL Trident symbol can be used on products where the company licenses the logo from the Navy Trademark Licensing Program Office. That's all.

No product is an 'official' Navy SEAL product. If you look at that ad, it actually says, "The Office Watch of the Navel Special Warfare's Underwater Demolition Team - SEAL Association." Emphasis added to SEAL Association.

The Navy SEALs as a part of the USN cannot endorse a product. They might even use specific items, but in no way do they specifically endorse the use of that given product.

As far as watches used by SEALs, I don't personally know any, but I run into NSW folks at MCBCP every once in a while, and there's no standard that I've seen. It's whatever these guys happen to buy on their own or someone gave to them. They're not issued this stuff.
That's what I was trying to say regarding the trademark comment, not that they weren't trademarked (I misspoke on that), but that the Navy essentially can't benefit from its use.
Old 6 April 2016, 04:18 AM   #21
Asp9mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 - 5517 - 6538
I can't comment on what the SEALs use, but sometimes SAS, SBR and SBS in the UK do still buy in batches of Submariners, SD's and Explorer II's when being deployed overseas. This is also because they can be used as blood chits if they are compromised and need local help. These aren't standard issue to all troops, and they have to hand them back when returning. It's a Court Marshall offence to 'lose' them unless they have an exceptional excuse. This was after the majority of troops kept 'losing' them :-D

Rolex aren't contracted to supply them, and there is no official supply route through MOD stores. Amazingly, the individual regiments quite often approach local AD's to supply them.

I guess the same may be true of the SEALs as they operate pretty much the same way, and are close when it comes to sharing tactics, training and theatres of war.
Asp9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 05:38 AM   #22
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp9mm View Post
I can't comment on what the SEALs use, but sometimes SAS, SBR and SBS in the UK do still buy in batches of Submariners, SD's and Explorer II's when being deployed overseas. This is also because they can be used as blood chits if they are compromised and need local help. These aren't standard issue to all troops, and they have to hand them back when returning. It's a Court Marshall offence to 'lose' them unless they have an exceptional excuse. This was after the majority of troops kept 'losing' them :-D

Rolex aren't contracted to supply them, and there is no official supply route through MOD stores. Amazingly, the individual regiments quite often approach local AD's to supply them.

I guess the same may be true of the SEALs as they operate pretty much the same way, and are close when it comes to sharing tactics, training and theatres of war.
Fictional
Old 11 July 2022, 09:25 AM   #23
Powrsurg
"TRF" Member

I highly doubt any modern military force is using a mechanical watch. I saw a photo of Seal all jacked up with gear and it looked like he was wearing a Garmin Fenix.
Old 11 July 2022, 10:55 AM   #24
Triumph_1200
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Spent all summer last year deployed with SF. Not one had a mechanical watch. Garmin and G-Shock. I rocked my Sinn 857. Rolex is common in garrison though.
Triumph_1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 01:11 PM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Luminox?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote