The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2024, 04:43 AM   #1
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Patek 4947a

Hi All, I have been getting ready to dip my toes into the Patek market and was offered the 4947a from a dealership recently. I think it's an awesome watch and it would be the first steps to starting the journey. Was wondering if I could have any opinions from people that own the watch and see what overall thoughts were.

End of the journey for me is a 5712 or 5726 I don't think I will ever get there but this could be a nice start.

Dealer was saying for me it looks like the steps would be 4947, 5226, and then potentially 5712
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:41 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Hi All, I have been getting ready to dip my toes into the Patek market and was offered the 4947a from a dealership recently. I think it's an awesome watch and it would be the first steps to starting the journey. Was wondering if I could have any opinions from people that own the watch and see what overall thoughts were.

End of the journey for me is a 5712 or 5726 I don't think I will ever get there but this could be a nice start.

Dealer was saying for me it looks like the steps would be 4947, 5226, and then potentially 5712
Unlessyou truly want all of these watches why not jus buy a 5712 grey and be done with it. Seems cheaper and faster. Now if you want MR and RH pieces and many moee pateks down the road by all means "start the journey".
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:50 PM   #3
Rolesor_66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, FOIS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Unlessyou truly want all of these watches why not jus buy a 5712 grey and be done with it. Seems cheaper and faster. Now if you want MR and RH pieces and many moee pateks down the road by all means "start the journey".
Whatever this guy said! Unless you truly want to build a relationship with the AD and look forward to getting the call for a watch every once in a while.
Rolesor_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 12:49 AM   #4
Lininq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post

follow your dealer suggestion for me. 4947 is a good start.
Lininq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 05:23 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Agree with those who think you should consider spending some more to get a 5712/1A now if that is what you want in the end. It may well get discontinued before your AD thinks you are worthy.

Can't comment on 4947/1A beyond that I neither like the dial nor the standard Patek all high-polish dress watch bracelet. For that sort of money there are much better Pateks within reach if you are willing to go preowned. Think 5230P WT which is bound to become a classic or 5110P WT or gold 3940 PC which are classics already, or the 5140 or 5320 PCs or 5170/5172 chronos or the limited 5522A.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 02:03 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Not a fan of the 4947, movement seems too small for the watch based on dial layout. that 50k goes along way to just buying a 5712.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 04:59 AM   #7
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I’m three years, two calatravas, an annual calendar, and an aquanaut into my journey, and I’ve been asking for a 5712a from the start. I do not believe I am even in consideration for it yet but maybe your mileage will vary. Good luck.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 05:11 AM   #8
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Im in the minority that likes the 4947. Big thing though is the discount you can get it for nearly covers the upcharge for the 5712a grey, and that's guaranteed you'll get the 5712a. I suppose if you're playing the long game for more pateks down the road and want to establish a relationship it's a different story. The worrisome thing is even then, stores with very long histories with patek got cut.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 06:54 PM   #9
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

I know I am in the minority of Patek buyers...but I absolutely love this piece. this is my grail Patek. I was fascinated with it when it was announced a few years ago and finally tried one on at a Boutique last year in Istanbul....and was blown away!

you can also find this piece on the grey market for under retail....but if it were me, I would make sure you get one that has been updated from the 324 movement to the 330 movement, I think they did this quietly either last year or this year. The newer movement has a hacking seconds hand which is a big plus for me.

here is a a few pictures from when I tried it on....I have an under 7in wrist and i'm not a big guy and my wife loved the way this watch looked on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP_4947-1A5.jpg (136.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg PP_4947-1A.jpg (144.0 KB, 174 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 08:22 PM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Honestly Manny, I would not get that reference. I don’t think there is anything desirable or good looking about it. You can do much better my friend!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:35 PM   #11
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
I know I am in the minority of Patek buyers...but I absolutely love this piece. this is my grail Patek. I was fascinated with it when it was announced a few years ago and finally tried one on at a Boutique last year in Istanbul....and was blown away!

you can also find this piece on the grey market for under retail....but if it were me, I would make sure you get one that has been updated from the 324 movement to the 330 movement, I think they did this quietly either last year or this year. The newer movement has a hacking seconds hand which is a big plus for me.

here is a a few pictures from when I tried it on....I have an under 7in wrist and i'm not a big guy and my wife loved the way this watch looked on me.
And as a relatively rare steel dress Patek, this is a special reference. If they cancel it and make it a short run, you could have a future classic. Many classics were not “hot” when they came out. Watch looks great, btw, congrats.
Old 14 September 2024, 10:47 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Beautiful watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 12:02 PM   #13
elmoboy
"TRF" Member

It's a very beautiful watch. It's a Patek complication. Somehow I feel the nautilus and aquanuat designs starting to get old and tiring to me... Although mine dream Patek is still the 5740

elmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 11:17 PM   #14
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
thanks for the feedback everyone truly appreciate both the positive and negative.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #15
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
And as a relatively rare steel dress Patek, this is a special reference. If they cancel it and make it a short run, you could have a future classic. Many classics were not “hot” when they came out. Watch looks great, btw, congrats.
agreed...I think this model will be a future classic...but for me its already a classic.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #16
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Obviously, tastes are personal, and what appeals to you appeals to you. Don’t let the haters, myself included, dissuade you from the 4947A if you love it.

I have been in your shoes, embarked on the journey that you may decide to go on, and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t. Buy the number 1 watch you want and don’t buy your second choice or third choice or whatever, because the itch will not be scratched. A near new 5712 sold on Loupe This a month ago in the $80s. That’s about $25-30k over MSRP. Get what you want, and don’t play games. Unless you want to own a minute repeater with your name on it, you are probably better served having a relationship with a dealer. The 5712 may be gone next year. Your AD may lose its dealership. Your AD may just decide not to allocate the 5712 to you.

I really like my AD. I consider them friends. And they have treated me very well. But with the way the market is shifting, I think most consumers are better served just getting what they want.

As for the 4947 and any serially produced Patek - do not buy thinking it will appreciate or be sought after. It’s more likely than not that 5,000 plus will be made of this reference over its lifetime. If you love it, buy it, if you don’t, don’t. Personally, I find it an odd hodgepodge of elements with a movement that is far too small and with a dial that lacks balance.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #17
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I will give you my opinion: 4947 is a female's watch, and 5712's asymmetry is not something i can live with till the end of my life. I would go with the 5726 grey if you don't want to collect Pateks along the way.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #18
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Somewhat late now, but just buying a used 5712 was the way to go from the outset.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #19
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
Obviously, tastes are personal, and what appeals to you appeals to you. Don’t let the haters, myself included, dissuade you from the 4947A if you love it.

I have been in your shoes, embarked on the journey that you may decide to go on, and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t. Buy the number 1 watch you want and don’t buy your second choice or third choice or whatever, because the itch will not be scratched. A near new 5712 sold on Loupe This a month ago in the $80s. That’s about $25-30k over MSRP. Get what you want, and don’t play games. Unless you want to own a minute repeater with your name on it, you are probably better served having a relationship with a dealer. The 5712 may be gone next year. Your AD may lose its dealership. Your AD may just decide not to allocate the 5712 to you.

I really like my AD. I consider them friends. And they have treated me very well. But with the way the market is shifting, I think most consumers are better served just getting what they want.

As for the 4947 and any serially produced Patek - do not buy thinking it will appreciate or be sought after. It’s more likely than not that 5,000 plus will be made of this reference over its lifetime. If you love it, buy it, if you don’t, don’t. Personally, I find it an odd hodgepodge of elements with a movement that is far too small and with a dial that lacks balance.
This take/advice is some of the most reasonable, accurate, and expert I have read on the forum. 100% agree.
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #20
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
This take/advice is some of the most reasonable, accurate, and expert I have read on the forum. 100% agree.