The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2020, 12:07 AM   #1
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
116500 at Retail vs. Free SubC LN

Assuming you had two options, which would you take?

1. 116500 at MSRP
2. Either a 114060 or 116610LN basically for free or close to free

I ask this because if you are lucky enough to buy a Daytona at retail, you could sell it and basically fully fund a SubC at retail, or at least cut the cost down to around $1-2k.

Is the Daytona at retail worth more to YOU than the ability to leverage it for a basically free/low cost sub?

I know where I shake out—keep the Daytona because I love it, but am curious to see what others would do.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:13 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Is the Daytona at retail worth more to YOU than the ability to leverage it for a basically free/low cost sub?
No
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
No
Likewise trouble today Rolex are no longer watches now just ££££$$$ seems to me thats all this forum is coming to lately.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:21 AM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I'm a chrono addict so Daytona stays in one form or another. But hard to say without knowing how much you like subs. The reality is you probably need to keep the Daytona to get the next opposite color Daytona.

Another way to ask your question is 1 'free' sub or 15 free apple watches. And in this case, I would still say the Daytona.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #5
cdubg21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Likewise trouble today Rolex are no longer watches now just ££££$$$ seems to me thats all this forum is coming to lately.
To each their own, I suppose

It’s more interesting to me than “I got my first scratch”, “How tight should I screw down the crown?”, “Here is my Rolex sitting in a glass of champagne”
Old 8 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #6
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Gimme dat free sub!
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #7
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

I would probably sell it and get a “free sub” and then wait for another one or wait till price come lower .. not sure.
I don’t think I can get a 116500 soon anyway

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
♛ Milgauss Black Dial 116400GV
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLNR
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:31 AM   #8
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

11650 at retail. Flip it. By a sub and put 10k in my pocket and enjoy a weekend vegas trip
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:36 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Likewise trouble today Rolex are no longer watches now just ££££$$$ seems to me that's all this forum is coming to lately.
100000000% agree, sadly. Wish there was another board on TRF for OP's type of posts.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 12:39 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
100000000% agree, sadly. Wish there was another board on TRF for OP's type of posts.

Completely agree
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 8 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #11
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
I already have a 114060 and 116520 so what's in it for me?
Old 8 January 2020, 12:56 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
I already have a 114060 and 116520 so what's in it for me?
The thrill of arbitrage
Old 8 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #13
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Flip the Daytona, take the profit and buy the other watch, out of pocket as you state a few thousand dollars. A good financial deal. Remember, it's only a watch.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:30 AM   #14
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Face palm. Face palm. Face palm. FACE SLAP. If but only it were interesting to just buy and wear watches instead of speculate on BLRO and steel Daytona-C (but ONLY a white one) EVERY SINGLE DAY.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #15
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Don’t like the Submariner so wouldn’t want that. Had a 116500 and really liked it, but 116519 ultimately displaced it. So will pass on both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #16
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Anyone can get a Sub but only limited folks are able to get Daytona on MSRP!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:44 AM   #17
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Assuming you had two options, which would you take?

1. 116500 at MSRP

2. Either a 114060 or 116610LN basically for free or close to free

I ask this because if you are lucky enough to buy a Daytona at retail, you could sell it and basically fully fund a SubC at retail, or at least cut the cost down to around $1-2k.

I know where I shake out—keep the Daytona because I love it, but am curious to see what others would do.

This is literally my current dilemma...

I got a 116500 on Christmas Eve. Should I keep it or flip it? In 2019, I also picked up a new DJ41 and BLNR.

The 116500 was completely unexpected and when presented the opportunity to buy I did.

I would totally content with just my DJ41 & BLNR. Heck, I’d be content with just the BLNR as my one and only.

BUT, that Daytona is so d@mn sexy! Plus the fact that I got one makes it quite a cool accomplishment.

By flipping it, my blue DJ41 would be free. Or my BLNR would be about $3k out of pocket.

But (if I were just interested in value) what would the Daytona be worth in 20 years? What if it increased in value to $30k, or more?

So, what do you recommend?

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:48 AM   #18
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

I would take a free 114060 and leave the Daytona, hoping that it sells to an enthusiast who actually wants it.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:58 AM   #19
pepsiretail
Banned

Dougie, baby, you know...
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:05 AM   #20
cdubg21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post

I got a 116500 on Christmas Eve. Should I keep it or flip it? In 2019, I also picked up a new DJ41 and BLNR.

The 116500 was completely unexpected and when presented the opportunity to buy I did.

I would totally content with just my DJ41 & BLNR. Heck, I’d be content with just the BLNR as my one and only.

BUT, that Daytona is so d@mn sexy! Plus the fact that I got one makes it quite a cool accomplishment.

By flipping it, my blue DJ41 would be free. Or my BLNR would be about $3k out of pocket.

But (if I were just interested in value) what would the Daytona be worth in 20 years? What if it increased in value to $30k, or more?

Personally, I would keep (and am keeping) the Daytona. I think it’s sort of a one-time shot to have one at retail—if I sell it, the one AD I have a relationship with almost certainly won’t get me another should I want one down the road. Plus I really like it.

Will admit when you look at it financially it’s a little tempting but of all the watches I think tue Daytona will hold value so there is always the possibility of selling years down the road to fund something different
Old 8 January 2020, 04:07 AM   #21
TheWhiteCuban
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I would most likely take the free subc. I like subs and I like free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TheWhiteCuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:27 AM   #22
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I'm telling you, I know I am in the minority but I have trouble telling the time on a Daytona.

It's a busy watch.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:44 AM   #23
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I would keep the Daytona and buy a 4 digit Sub. But what do I know.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:46 AM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I'm telling you, I know I am in the minority but I have trouble telling the time on a Daytona.

It's a busy watch.
I think that’s lots of people. But I can’t make out the figurines on a Picasso, but I still tolerate that drawback when enjoying looking at one. :-)

To the OP, if you’re thinking over a 30 year horizon, drop the DJ. Keep the Daytona.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #25
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Basically, you're asking whether or not I am a profit-seeking flipper. This environment we currently find ourselves in is one reason why watch buyers can't just walk into their Rolex AD and buy a Submariner or GMT Master any more.

I only buy what I like from my Rolex AD. I've passed on "hard to find" pieces because I didn't like them, even if I could have flipped them for a quick easy dollar. That's also why I haven't had to wait long at all if I ask my AD for a piece I've been wanting. It works both ways.
Old 8 January 2020, 04:55 AM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post

If you are thinking about flipping the Daytona I would do it now not later. I kind of think these are in a short term top at this point. I really doubt they will go up much from here unless a new model comes out and the current C is discontinued. Just do not let your AD know. Of your three I like the DJ the best.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:24 PM   #27
Brny11
"TRF" Member

This thread IMO is everything wrong with “collectors” today. I got my sub when it was valued MUCH less than it is today. I had a chance for much cheaper 5 dig GMTs and for BLNRs for just under retail. I chose SubC because it was and is my favorite Rolex out there. Add these inflated prices and you quickly see the intentions of most people interested in Rolex (even the “WIS” types on this forum).
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #28
envuks
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Definitely not. I purchased my Daytona to wear and MUCH prefer it over a sub

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:57 AM   #29
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
If you are looking to flip, I recommend sell now coz the hard to get pieces will drop in the grey market by a big number since they need to keep their liquidity and ride out this situation for 2 months, post that another 2-3 years before the economy improves. So flipping is dead for now.

Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 10:03 AM   #30
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Flip the Daytona, take the profit and buy the other watch, out of pocket as you state a few thousand dollars. A good financial deal. Remember, it's only a watch.
My thoughts too. If you're really after a sub and have the ability to get one by purchasing a daytona, then there's your strategy. I don't like the daytona, but I'd buy one in a hot minute if offered and I'd probably have a hulk the next day.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote