The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Tiffany Stamp on Patek - Yay or Nay
Yay - Love it 47 47.00%
Nay - Hate it 53 53.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 June 2021, 03:47 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Tiffany Stamp: Yay or Nay?

Do you like the Tiffany stamp? Whether yes or no, why?

Personally - I think it’s terrible. Why ruin a perfect dial made by Patek, to have it stamped in a shop that doesn’t come close to the Patek factory.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 04:26 PM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
i agree, i don’t like them having some other brand’s name in the dial, i think it makes them feel they’re less than what they really are
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Petroc Tremaine
"TRF" Member

I think it's about as desirable as having "Tesco" on the dial.
Petroc Tremaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 07:58 PM   #4
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Dominos
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 07:59 PM   #5
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Aw, come on now, it doesn't look so bad. And if it makes the watch worth 4X what it would be without the "TIFFANY" how can that hurt?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I think it is a nice addition and would be happy to have one someday but not disappointed if my collection is void of one.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 08:45 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of double-signed watches from a looks perspective and also don't see why my watch should be a billboard for the AD (not just Tiffany, also Beyer, Gübelin, or Serpico y Laino etc).

That said, if Tiffany was my AD I wouldn't mind the stamp on some watches as the difference in value would win over the looks perspective.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 09:58 PM   #8
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Not a fan at all. I don't think Tiffany as a whole is on the same leve as Patek in terms of prestige. I never understood why Patek would be willing to let Tiffany stamp their name on PP dials, nor do I get the appeal of this combo.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:01 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Does it make the movement and PP watch more reliable like an FP Journe and ALS? Five-year warranty like.... Is there higher quality movement hand decoration added like FP Journe and ALS?

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:08 PM   #10
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Aw, come on now, it doesn't look so bad. And if it makes the watch worth 4X what it would be without the "TIFFANY" how can that hurt?
Except you can't actually realize that value since you will almost certainly get blacklisted by both Tiffany and Patek if you flip.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:08 PM   #11
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Does it make the movement and PP watch more reliable like an FP Journe and ALS? Five-year warranty like.... Is there higher quality movement hand decoration added like FP Journe and ALS?
The Tiffany stamp is almost as good as putting a R-Type badge on your car. Instant +300hp.
Old 4 June 2021, 10:34 PM   #12
Fxyik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Not a fan at all. I don't think Tiffany as a whole is on the same leve as Patek in terms of prestige. I never understood why Patek would be willing to let Tiffany stamp their name on PP dials, nor do I get the appeal of this combo.

This! If I were given the options to get one with and without the stamp, I’ll choose without every single time, unless I plan to not wear the watch and flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fxyik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:30 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The Tiffany stamp is almost as good as putting a R-Type badge on your car. Instant +300hp.
SOOO much LOL.... love it!

Or an M badge....

Fun Fact: Have M-spec, full Dinan Stage 4, lots of fun bolts-on tweaks..... yet have no markings/badges and even kept the dealer's lousy license plate surround. Stealth..........

Have also taken subways in Europe dressed in a basic jogging outfit while wearing a PP 3970er. Funny thing is, the very kind ladies at Wellendorff first didn't know what to make of me (then said I needed my ring resized). A few minutes passed... and in German I heard one of them suddenly realized my timepiece. So never judge a book by the cover... or fancy stamp on a dial.

BTW always great service at Wellendorff.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ha , I bought a pp Ellipse Gold with gold bracelet. Had a Tiffany stamp on it . I have always been a purist in restoration of classic cars , would never add anything after market .This was my 1st Patek before I became a Wis. ha! When I sent it in for service , I paid to have pp replace the dial to get rid of Tiffany . Don’t know what I would do today - probably still remove it . james in San Antonio Tx :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:47 PM   #15
dmb359
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I like it on the dial, but I wouldn't want to spend extra money to have it.
Old 5 June 2021, 12:02 AM   #16
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I dislike the Tiffany stamp. I mean, it's not a Tiffany, it's a Patek. (I also don't like dealer stickers on my cars).

I know some people think the T-stamp is a rarity thing that enhances resale price, which is probably true. The reality is there are plenty of people that will pay extra for the T-stamp.

On the other hand, there are also plenty of people that will pay extra for toilet paper that Elvis wiped his ass with. Point being, market price doesn't always tell the whole story.

Personally, I think Tiffany in general gives off a certain touristy vibe. But to each their own. Other people value and enjoy Tiffany, and good for them, there's no harm in that.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 12:15 AM   #17
tictic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
BTW always great service at Wellendorff.
I concur; the Mrs. has a couple of their rings and she loves them!
tictic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 01:05 AM   #18
Fxyik
"TRF" Member

Unlike Tiffany, I think Wellendorff is the same level as Patek. Would I want to have Wellendorff stamp on my Patek watch, probably still not, but this is a partnership that makes more sense to me.

Fxyik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 01:22 AM   #19
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I don’t like it at all, if you want a watch as an investment then great but as an every day watch it would bug the hell out of me

Old 5 June 2021, 04:41 AM   #20
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Cool thread. Enjoyed people’s comments. I am still in the camp of would like one since it seems rare to me outside of the US. Actually would love one of the Serpico and Laina Caracas dials too. But, if I ever get one that would be fine.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 04:42 AM   #21
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Except you can't actually realize that value since you will almost certainly get blacklisted by both Tiffany and Patek if you flip.
That's what's known as "folklore".
Old 5 June 2021, 04:48 AM   #22
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Too many fakes to make them worth the hassle for me personally. Without the original Tiffany paperwork (nothing that isn't above forgery) they are just a watch with a sketchy past and likely a massive difference in expectations of value between buyer and seller. The rarity of a genuine Tiffany watch would be cool in a collection though.

To people who say they don't like advertising another brand... The logo is more subtle than that of the Rolex and also, I see it more as the wearer wanting to advertise THEMSELVES as above mere mortals who can get a regular Rolex/Patek etc :)
Old 5 June 2021, 04:51 AM   #23
Robine
Banned

Isn't Tiffany the Louis Vuitton of jewellery, the secretary's wet dream of a Christmas gift?

When I hear "Tiffany", I am thinking about all that low-end sterling silver junk, the 200$ bracelet, like LV's "Speedy" handbag.

Why would I want that logo on a PP?
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 12:49 PM   #24
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Interesting split. Seems like the only reason people like it is the presumable rarity and resale value, no one actually likes it.

Funny how that is. I’m with MadSpaniard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post

I know some people think the T-stamp is a rarity thing that enhances resale price, which is probably true. The reality is there are plenty of people that will pay extra for the T-stamp.

On the other hand, there are also plenty of people that will pay extra for toilet paper that Elvis wiped his ass with.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 12:57 PM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Yes. The only reason people like the Tiffany stamp is because it seemingly quintuples the value of the watch... a value that no one here will ever realize because by the time you get to the point of being offered a Tiffany stamped 5711, you've already spent a fortune with Tiffany.

Furthermore, once you flip that watch, you're blacklisted by both Tiffany and Patek.

Patek monitors the market for Tiffany stamped pieces more than other non-stamped Pateks.

So, since this is a value you can never really realize, does the rarity and "value" make a difference?

Do you really like the dial of a Patek to be besmirched by a bit of white paint that's added *after* the watch is already cased and shipped from Switzerland?
Old 5 June 2021, 02:20 PM   #26
krochana
"TRF" Member

I think it also depends on the placement of the Tiffany logo. When they put PP and Tiffany logos together as one big logo, like what you found in 5164a, it looks fine. Or in 5711, the two logos are aligned in the middle, it looks OK. The one I find it strange is the 5712 with Tiffany logo. The two logos are floating separately. It just make things worse for me.
krochana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 04:05 PM   #27
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. The only reason people like the Tiffany stamp is because it seemingly quintuples the value of the watch... a value that no one here will ever realize because by the time you get to the point of being offered a Tiffany stamped 5711, you've already spent a fortune with Tiffany.

Furthermore, once you flip that watch, you're blacklisted by both Tiffany and Patek.

Patek monitors the market for Tiffany stamped pieces more than other non-stamped Pateks.

So, since this is a value you can never really realize, does the rarity and "value" make a difference?

Do you really like the dial of a Patek to be besmirched by a bit of white paint that's added *after* the watch is already cased and shipped from Switzerland?
Tiffany stamped Pateks show up regularly at EWC and at auction, both Nautilus and others. So yes, people are realizing the value of the stamp. Getting blacklisted seems to be a low risk or a bit of a myth, or do all these watches come straight from Tiffany's backdoor in some way or shape?

Suppose someone offered you a Tiffany stamped 5711/12 in return for your non stamped piece straight. Would you do it or not? I don't like any stamp on the dial but I am not sure I could resist.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 08:47 PM   #28
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is there any hard evidence that Patek monitors the resale market and blacklists people who have flipped their watches? If you sell to a dealer, and not at auction, how would PP get the serial number of the watch, anyway, to be able to trace it to the original buyer? How many Inspector Clouseaus are employed at both Tiffany and Patek searching out those guilty of flipping in the 1st degree?
Has anyone here been blacklisted for flipping their Patek? Quite a few TRF participants have sold or traded Pateks so someone here must have faced this inquisition, please come forward and settle this issue once and for all, prove me wrong because I think this is a fairy tale.
Old 5 June 2021, 09:04 PM   #29
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Only if the t-stamp is crooked.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 09:14 PM   #30
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I said yes and think it is cool.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote