The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 November 2020, 12:03 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
New article on the 321

It's still not for me at that price - but I'm not a true Speedmaster enthusiast that would appreciate the finer things about it as others would.

https://monochrome-watches.com/omega...-review-price/
Old 2 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree she is lovely and a nice throwback movement. The price is aspirational.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 12:49 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a beauty and will no doubt be a great seller to the Omega enthusiast. I like that it’s a regular production piece and not a limited edition. The price is right up there though.

I agree with the writer of the article ... it’s probably not a “first” for most who are looking to get into the Speedy line.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 12:56 AM   #4
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, very interesting read. I can't agree with them more. You will love it when you see it in person. I love winding it every day, the movement is just beautiful
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great pictures. I like it. Love the bracelet but not so much the clasp. Regardless I agree in that I’m not enough of a speedmaster enthusiast to add this one.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:08 AM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I read the article and found it to be informative and entertaining. I am a fan of Omega and the Speedmaster but this watch does not work for me based on price and availability. I will not get caught up in the hype and I can not be convinced that for the money it is 10k better than a regular Speedmaster, for me. Omega has started the game playing at a much higher level of late and the blowback will be significant. Omega makes a quality watch for what it is and I would argue that the Seamaster 300 is as good or better than the Rolex Submariner. Because of the quality, cost and you can get one in multiple configurations from any AD or Boutique and you might even get a discount. Part of the problem right now with watch collecting is the hype, it can kill the fun faster than you can say allocation. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:29 AM   #7
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I read the article and found it to be informative and entertaining. I am a fan of Omega and the Speedmaster but this watch does not work for me based on price and availability. I will not get caught up in the hype and I can not be convinced that for the money it is 10k better than a regular Speedmaster, for me. Omega has started the game playing at a much higher level of late and the blowback will be significant. Omega makes a quality watch for what it is and I would argue that the Seamaster 300 is as good or better than the Rolex Submariner. Because of the quality, cost and you can get one in multiple configurations from any AD or Boutique and you might even get a discount. Part of the problem right now with watch collecting is the hype, it can kill the fun faster than you can say allocation. Just my thoughts.
I do agree with your points mostly. But will you pay at retail for a Rolex Daytona? Unless your answer is no, then I don't understand it. The movement of 321 is by far better than daytona's movement which has been used for 20 years already through which they only did some minor upgrades in the movement. So why would you pay more or less the amount for a Daytona but not this Ed White?
Old 2 November 2020, 06:51 AM   #8
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchuccc View Post
I do agree with your points mostly. But will you pay at retail for a Rolex Daytona? Unless your answer is no, then I don't understand it. The movement of 321 is by far better than daytona's movement which has been used for 20 years already through which they only did some minor upgrades in the movement. So why would you pay more or less the amount for a Daytona but not this Ed White?
My argument would be because you can get a VERY similar looking Speedmaster (especially to the untrained eye) for 10k less than the 321.
Old 2 November 2020, 08:39 AM   #9
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I want two. I just received mine. I want to keep it pristine and I want another one to wear. It’s amazing in the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:06 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
My response would be because the Daytona is a Rolex and the 321 is an Omega. That sums it up and the brands are not even close in desirability or value. Take that in each brands favor, as it could be interpreted that way. It is comparing apples to oranges when you look at the two brands and I would tell you that I would have the same discussion about the standard Speed Master and the Daytona. Why pay mspr for the Daytona when you can get the Speed Master for 10k less. We know the answer but a discussion could be had that went beyond resale value that could give the Omega the win. I am not trying to insult the brand, Omega, I am just trying to get the most value and wear out of my watches while balancing the funds involved and having fun. Each of us will be different, and that's ok. I own two Daytona's, purchased below retail but PM, and a Speed Master, purchased pre-owned for a great price so I have some experience with the mentioned models. Just my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200703_100745 (002).jpg (218.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 20201022_102033 (002).jpg (277.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 20200925_140529 (002).jpg (234.8 KB, 285 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 10:49 PM   #11
Emery
"TRF" Member

Having seen and handled one in person, and as an owner of the standard 1861 moonwatch, I can appreciate the significance and importance of the 321, but cannot justify the large premium over the 1861.

In saying that, I reckon it is priced right to ensure the watch ends up in the hands of true moonwatch followers rather than flippers.
Someone like myself is probably not the target market to begin with.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 11:28 PM   #12
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Having seen and handled one in person, and as an owner of the standard 1861 moonwatch, I can appreciate the significance and importance of the 321, but cannot justify the large premium over the 1861.

In saying that, I reckon it is priced right to ensure the watch ends up in the hands of true moonwatch followers rather than flippers.
Someone like myself is probably not the target market to begin with.
I'm exactly where you are. The value prop just isn't there for me as a CASUAL Omega fan and owner.

However, if Rolex did something similar with a sub (say, red triangle, no crown guards, domed crysal, etc.) and priced it at 10k over the current sub, I'd probably be in. Such is life...
Old 2 November 2020, 11:47 PM   #13
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
My response would be because the Daytona is a Rolex and the 321 is an Omega. That sums it up and the brands are not even close in desirability or value. Take that in each brands favor, as it could be interpreted that way. It is comparing apples to oranges when you look at the two brands and I would tell you that I would have the same discussion about the standard Speed Master and the Daytona. Why pay mspr for the Daytona when you can get the Speed Master for 10k less. We know the answer but a discussion could be had that went beyond resale value that could give the Omega the win. I am not trying to insult the brand, Omega, I am just trying to get the most value and wear out of my watches while balancing the funds involved and having fun. Each of us will be different, and that's ok. I own two Daytona's, purchased below retail but PM, and a Speed Master, purchased pre-owned for a great price so I have some experience with the mentioned models. Just my thoughts.
ok fair point...always buy what you like and wear them in good health
Old 3 November 2020, 12:34 AM   #14
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Beautiful, historically significant movement that makes it superior to the standard Moonwatch? Yes. But to agree with others, the premium on this is silly. I own a Speedy Pro and honestly it’s a beater, and I can’t imagine treating one any differently regardless of movement or materials. Also not a fan of the fauxtina however subtle it may be...stop posing, or whatever it is.

In a way it reminds me of some of the Seiko re-issues—I’d be interested at a typical Seiko price point but raising prices like they have on some of the re-issues is a contradiction of what Seiko built the brand on and what the watches originally represented. This feels the same in that the value of Omega when compared with other watchmakers is typically to Omega’s advantage and here I’d argue they lose that advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:30 AM   #15
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 05:23 PM   #16
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is fair to compare this one to any other modern Speedmaster. This is not a mass market model. It is a low production model for a very small market... folks who really know what it is. It is certainly not for the "look at me" crowd. It is very stealthy and most folks won't know what it is. And for that reason, I love it! Pricing is very subjective, right? I mean, there is no other watch like this one out there... so there no relative valuation...
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 12:55 AM   #17
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Omega set up a seperate workshop for the 321, there is more hand assembly than the regualr speedmaster. The desirablility of the Daytona lies in the fact that they sell for 3x msrp, were they 30% discounted there would not be a waitlist I can guarantee you. I love Rolex and own several, nobody balks at 70k for a platona but when Omega does anything special people complain about the price. Its funny to watch.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 02:02 AM   #18
Jayhawks
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Beautiful watch! Will be tough to not add this (given an MSRP opportunity) through a decent sell-off of my current line up.
Jayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 04:28 AM   #19
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Great interview with Omega CEO for Revolution. He sheds a lot of light with regards production, speculation and allocation for the Cal 321 and Silver Snoopy.

https://www.revolution.watch/in-conv...omega-watches/
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #20
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
Great interview with Omega CEO for Revolution. He sheds a lot of light with regards production, speculation and allocation for the Cal 321 and Silver Snoopy.

https://www.revolution.watch/in-conv...omega-watches/
Thanks for sharing, it has answered a lot of speculations. Great interview indeed!
Old 4 November 2020, 03:34 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great article. Thanks.
Old 5 November 2020, 12:18 AM   #22
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I think its amazing and want it but am in no rush, will see what happens in the next year or so
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote