The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Will AP lift resale restrictions?
YES 45 28.66%
NO 112 71.34%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 June 2024, 05:51 AM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Will AP ease resale restrictions?

Any thoughts on AP easing resale restrictions? While I don't believe AP will issue a public statement on watch resales being allowed just as they didn't publically announce the blacklist I wonder if anyone has heard news about their stance changing.
Old 2 June 2024, 06:07 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Maybe the long-awaited CPO program will finally launch next year?
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2024, 06:10 AM   #3
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Maybe the long-awaited CPO program will finally launch next year?
I heard the person that was in charge of leading that left and it's kind of in limbo right now. But that was a few months ago.
Old 3 June 2024, 07:36 AM   #4
watchman124
"TRF" Member

I think if demand continues to soften they’ll have no choice. I totally appreciate banning and blacklisting people flipping watches for a profit immediately.

Where I think they went too far with this was creating an expectation that everyone hold everything for some undefined amount of time that they never even communicate to you as a true expectation.

As I think about it. It’s a slippery slope for them though I guess. Their business model is predicated on selling things you don’t want or maybe wouldn’t get otherwise in order to get things that you do. So if you ease restrictions on selling the less desirable stuff, that could create a massive flood of “less attractive” pieces which declines secondary prices, making the brand look more unattractive, which could in turn makes the “attractive” watches look less cool, so I could see it outweighing the short term benefit of them selling more watches.

Above being said - the real answer is to take accountability for your product and if something isn’t selling, listen to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:59 AM   #5
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

SA told me "best to wait 2 years before selling any pieces you recently got". I personally haven't sold any of my APs going back over 10 years, but we were discussing how I've sold almost all my Rolexes over the past few years and Rolex doesn't care, they're all in on the flippers anyway.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 02:52 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
Above being said - the real answer is to take accountability for your product and if something isn’t selling, listen to the market.
Absolutely. Now I completely get trying to go beyond the Royal Oaks, but to me that means they need to make the Codes and Offshores interesting to us and priced appropriately. If so, they won't need to push everyone to buy them. I do think that the newer Codes are interesting (especially the Starwheel) but struggle with their price points. The $109k PC is now on Moda for $57k. Most of the 3-handers and chronographs are about $10k under MSRP. If anyone wants a Code, there is only so much of a hit most of us would be willing to take, even if a Royal Oak is on a wishlist.

I also think they're on the right track with ergonomics with the Offshores because I'm able to wear a 43mm 26420 on a fairly small wrist (6.75"). There are some that I like such as the "beast" remake, but still struggle a little with MSRP.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 02:01 AM   #7
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Along these lines, if we are able to find a person to purchase one of our AP’s under the “handshake” of them not re-registering it, how can an original owner monitor to see that it isn’t re-registered? As in, will it fall off our online profile or show a message when we log in that it’s been re-registered?

I would hate a circumstance in which I offload a watch, just to tell my AD I still have it and he’s looking at a screen that says otherwise (unbeknownst to me).

Any ideas on this?

paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2024, 02:18 AM   #8
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneristinewb View Post
Along these lines, if we are able to find a person to purchase one of our AP’s under the “handshake” of them not re-registering it, how can an original owner monitor to see that it isn’t re-registered? As in, will it fall off our online profile or show a message when we log in that it’s been re-registered?

I would hate a circumstance in which I offload a watch, just to tell my AD I still have it and he’s looking at a screen that says otherwise (unbeknownst to me).

Any ideas on this?

You can see on your profile if it’s still there.

Old 10 June 2024, 04:10 AM   #9
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can see on your profile if it’s still there.

So it will fall off my profile when someone re-registers it?

Is there any way that if it’s re-registers it the watch still shows up on my profile?

Old 10 June 2024, 04:11 AM   #10
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So it will fall off my profile when someone re-registers it?

Is there any way that if it’s re-registers it the watch still shows up on my profile?

Yes it will fall off and no - that’s the point of registration

Old 10 June 2024, 04:14 AM   #11
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes it will fall off and no - that’s the point of registration

Got it, perfect just wanted to make sure that was a reliable indicator that way. Thanks!!

Old 10 June 2024, 05:39 AM   #12
messikens
"TRF" Member

It would be nice but tbh if you eased the resale restriction in the current market environment (like another poster said), the bottom would fall out real quick across the board!

You can already pick up the NEW Code Chronos for $10-12k off (less than a year after being introduced). CODE QPs are $50k off (!!!).

If people wouldn't buy a code to "complete their collection" and move up the desirable AP chain, I'd suspect you'd almost see a freeze in the boutique sales
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 07:55 AM   #13
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
That’d be the day..
911cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 12:00 PM   #14
iten
"TRF" Member

Let's say I go buy a used and Code QP from the secondary market and re-register it to my profile. It obviously won't move the needle as much as buying it from a boutique, but do you think it will at least help show your appreciation of the brand on your journey to a more desired piece?
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 02:15 PM   #15
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
Let's say I go buy a used and Code QP from the secondary market and re-register it to my profile. It obviously won't move the needle as much as buying it from a boutique, but do you think it will at least help show your appreciation of the brand on your journey to a more desired piece?
It'll definitely show your interest to everyone but doesn't help in your profile building at all.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 05:21 PM   #16
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
They want you to buy watches from them, spending that money secondary doesn't say anything about how big of a fan you are (in their eyes). They are allocating on spend, potential spend, and loyalty (to them).
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 01:59 AM   #17
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
the real answer is to take accountability for your product and if something isn’t selling, listen to the market.
By this logic, the jumbo was almost discontinued in the past. Imagine that.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 02:12 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does the "handshake" also apply to not selling it on (without another handshake), not having service/repairs done at AP and not using the AP insurance program?

On Moda, the hit people have to take for a "safe sale" is quite significant.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 13 June 2024, 02:15 AM   #19
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall1 View Post
They want you to buy watches from them, spending that money secondary doesn't say anything about how big of a fan you are (in their eyes). They are allocating on spend, potential spend, and loyalty (to them).

This just means “fan” is how much can we exploit your willingness to buy our watches regardless of true market value . Which trust me, they will.

But yeah it doesn’t count. However if you show off a pricier piece that you bought secondary, then it does show them you have spend capacity. But doesn’t really count towards boutique spend.

Old 13 June 2024, 02:17 AM   #20
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I
So far, from AP's POV, they've sold every Code they made. I doubt it's going anywhere in the next years. In the long run, who knows. AP has never been shy about mixing things up.
Old 13 June 2024, 03:15 AM   #21
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, GS, JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
By this logic, the jumbo was almost discontinued in the past. Imagine that.
I remember when I walked into AP and they offered me a white dial 15300 and a $1000 discount (but not the blue dial because that was more in demand).
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 10:53 AM   #22
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think if demand continues to soften they’ll have no choice. I totally appreciate banning and blacklisting people flipping watches for a profit immediately.

Where I think they went too far with this was creating an expectation that everyone hold everything for some undefined amount of time that they never even communicate to you as a true expectation.

As I think about it. It’s a slippery slope for them though I guess. Their business model is predicated on selling things you don’t want or maybe wouldn’t get otherwise in order to get things that you do. So if you ease restrictions on selling the less desirable stuff, that could create a massive flood of “less attractive” pieces which declines secondary prices, making the brand look more unattractive, which could in turn makes the “attractive” watches look less cool, so I could see it outweighing the short term benefit of them selling more watches.

One can argue that that's exactly what AP is doing. Sports watches are popular in today's era, and AP's catalogue is still majority ROs. Others like PP and VC take different approaches, and as such I'd imagine a decent chunk of their catalogue is below retail.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 12:45 PM   #23
nazarian
"TRF" Member

Anyone know how they react if you sell a watch not bought at the boutique but registered to you in profile.

For example getting a desirable watch in house based on overall profile and immediately selling the other?
nazarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 09:54 PM   #24
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazarian View Post
Anyone know how they react if you sell a watch not bought at the boutique but registered to you in profile.

For example getting a desirable watch in house based on overall profile and immediately selling the other?

Good question, curious about answers.

That’s why I haven’t registered my 15500, bought grey market.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 11:04 PM   #25
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

I can't see any scenario where they would ease the control over their market they've gained by implementing resale restrictions, just scenarios where they "allow" blacklisted customers to buy models in spite of said restrictions. I expect if sales drop AP will still keep track of reselling, but only enforce blacklists selectively when the market favors it.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 11:37 PM   #26
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceroyeah View Post
I can't see any scenario where they would ease the control over their market they've gained by implementing resale restrictions, just scenarios where they "allow" blacklisted customers to buy models in spite of said restrictions. I expect if sales drop AP will still keep track of reselling, but only enforce blacklists selectively when the market favors it.
Exactly this. It may not count against you in this enviornment, but you can be sure if things pick up again it will count against you if you want something
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 12:48 AM   #27
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I really don't think they are that hard on selling your pieces, but really depending on your caliber as their customer and the pieces you would sell. For instance: that famous gent who bought like 12 watches from crystal Vegas within 2 years and instantly flipped 2 of the most profitable and desirable from the bunch and still got offered a green dial ROC which he turned down in hopes to get his QP. I don't think AP or any company wanna lose a good paying customer. They mostly just look the other way or give you a slap on the wrist and say time out and be a good boy. Unlike the Taiwanese celebrity who sold the LE 88 piece QP publicly. Led to a debacle between him and AP which resulted him getting blacklisted . I think its all situational on how important your piece is, Also your actions afterwards.

Honestly for AP buying grey is really a better option even some of the QP are falling below retail, unless you are after the newest jumbo , open works and etc.
Old 18 June 2024, 05:51 AM   #28
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
I really don't think they are that hard on selling your pieces
I agree; we read a lot about this topic but read little first-hand info.

My first-hand experience was that I told them I wanted to sell a piece I'd purchased from the boutique 2+ yrs ago and got a "thanks for telling us, we'll note it in your records, and no we don't expect you to keep every watch you buy forever."

Clearly, not all have this same experience!
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 02:39 AM   #29
watchman124
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/00BREVuJAIo?si=ce5LhWeuUQ4hLL3e

Maybe this answers our question? lol

Old 19 June 2024, 02:51 AM   #30
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://youtu.be/00BREVuJAIo?si=ce5LhWeuUQ4hLL3e

Maybe this answers our question? lol

lol no way that’s crazy they are chatting with gray dealers and personalities on official AP media