The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2024, 03:17 PM   #1
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Safe sale... Really safe?

Been seeing alot of safe sales for AP. Is it really safe for both sellers and buyers?

For sellers :

Buyers might not be able to register online without the warranty card but they can do so at the Boutique during collection after they send in for servicing. From my understanding, anyone can send in for servicing but collection is by owner only. So either the owner, who is registered in the system, has to collect in person or the one collecting have to be registered as the new owner.

It actually defeats the seller's intention, isn't it?

For buyers :

It's always a risk to run into a scam. The seller might claim the timepiece as lost property? Since they are still legally the owner?

Am I missing something? Anyone care to share their thoughts?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 04:05 PM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I would never do a safe sale or a safe purchase. Too much risk on both sides. I would let my boutique know if I'm selling something. I would not likely purchase any AP in the grey market and rather request it through AP, unless it's a discontinued model. Even then, I wouldn't purchase anything without the warranty card in hand.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 07:39 PM   #3
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I would never do a safe sale or a safe purchase. Too much risk on both sides.
What's the risks you are referring to? And is there really no way AP knows as long as you sell without the warranty card? Or is the scenario of sending in by the new owner without warranty true as per what I was told?
Old 7 July 2024, 07:45 PM   #4
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
What's the risks you are referring to? And is there really no way AP knows as long as you sell without the warranty card? Or is the scenario of sending in by the new owner without warranty true as per what I was told?

If the new owner sends in the watch to a boutique or service center for warranty work, that's when the cover gets blown. Safe sale only prevents the new owner from registering the watch under their profile because you need the warranty card to do it..

As for purchasing, I would never buy a watch without original warranty card or papers.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 08:43 PM   #5
Brit78
"TRF" Member

You've raised some valid concerns. For sellers, the registration and collection process can be tricky, potentially defeating their intentions. For buyers, there's always the risk of scams and legal complications if the seller claims it as lost property. It’s definitely a grey area that requires caution. Would love to hear more experiences and thoughts from others!
Old 7 July 2024, 10:36 PM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the new owner sends in the watch to a boutique or service center for warranty work, that's when the cover gets blown. Safe sale only prevents the new owner from registering the watch under their profile because you need the warranty card to do it..

As for purchasing, I would never buy a watch without original warranty card or papers.
Yeah, being able to register the watch and have it show up in the account correctly is a pretty good confidence boost.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2024, 10:44 PM   #7
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So the info I posted, which was told by my SA, is accurate. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 8 July 2024, 12:03 AM   #8
messikens
"TRF" Member

Great question - if I'd buy from a reseller I'd never buy without the warranty card / papers

How much of a discount can one expect from a safe sale? Must be massive given the grey area you're moving in...? Can someone elaborate
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 02:13 AM   #9
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Just wondering why can’t you register the watch with the serial on the back of the watch… I can’t remember if a warranty card is required. But I mean you can purchase a watch at a considerable discount, and if the card is kept with a trusted dealer and actually mentioned in the contract then I think it would be a win-win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 02:23 AM   #10
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbear View Post
Just wondering why can’t you register the watch with the serial on the back of the watch… I can’t remember if a warranty card is required.
You need both the watch's serial as well as the warranty card number to register.
Old 8 July 2024, 03:14 AM   #11
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You need both the watch's serial as well as the warranty card number to register.

From memory I had to take photo of the card to activate AP service coverage, but can’t remember if it was needed to add the 3 extra years. Who cares really if the card is kept with a reliable 3rd party and mentioned in the contract (binding legal document)

Old 8 July 2024, 05:16 AM   #12
J.T.
"TRF" Member

You aren't getting any discount on a safe sale. Safe sales are on the newest hottest models with substantial premium, ie.. the John Mayer perpetual that are trading at $375k+ currently
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 06:37 AM   #13
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Safe sales are only for middle men to con owners into selling their pieces under the guise it won’t affect their AP relationship which it inevitably does.
Old 8 July 2024, 08:40 AM   #14
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But I mean you can purchase a watch at a considerable discount, and if the card is kept with a trusted dealer and actually mentioned in the contract then I think it would be a win-win

Quote:
From memory I had to take photo of the card to activate AP service coverage, but can’t remember if it was needed to add the 3 extra years. Who cares really if the card is kept with a reliable 3rd party and mentioned in the contract (binding legal document)

What if the sale is from an overseas dealer? It's gonna be complicated then.
Old 8 July 2024, 08:57 AM   #15
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Safe sale... Really safe?

Quote:
What if the sale is from an overseas dealer? It's gonna be complicated then.

So just dealer with a trustee local dealer… there are plenty. Couple of days back I saw a brand new 16202 2024 on moda for 65k which is a nice discount from regular price.

Old 8 July 2024, 09:41 AM   #16
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
You aren't getting any discount on a safe sale. Safe sales are on the newest hottest models with substantial premium, ie.. the John Mayer perpetual that are trading at $375k+ currently
You are 100% getting a discount on a safe sale vs non. Go to moda, any watch that is a safe sale is at least 10-20%++ lower than a non-safe sale watch with warranty card. Always. It is akin to buying a watch without papers, there is a discount relative to market grey value, even for the hottest models, otherwise why would anyone buy one without the warranty card if the value was the same for one with.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 12:06 PM   #17
APhound
"TRF" Member

Could only see it working between close friends/ family.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2024, 07:07 PM   #18
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Could only see it working between close friends/ family.

I somehow agree with your statement. These "safe" agreement works well with people you trust and won't play you out. I won't want to spend tens of thousands on a watch without warranty card BUT with restrictions on sending in for servicing, etc. Trusted local dealer or not.
Old 9 July 2024, 04:39 AM   #19
Shmoopy
"TRF" Member

I was all set to purchase a Starwheel, then the seller disclosed that it needed to be a safe sale at the last moment.

I actually called my SA to ask her a few questions about re-registration. I told her that I understand their policy of needing the card to re-register, but would they really refuse to register if I were to walk into the store with the watch and a purchase invoice including serial showing I am the owner? (Or alternatively, doing the aforementioned when picking up after sending in for service aka to confirm authenticity.)

She would not give me a straight answer.

I mean, the warranty follows the watch, right? I can't imagine this hasn't been litigated yet... I am still planning on purchasing a Starwheel, so I'll try to update this thread accordingly.
Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 06:20 AM   #20
messikens
"TRF" Member

Interesting please do keep us posted.

Not saying they wouldn't release the card but what happens if (even if you have a contract and a sale) something after the purchase happens? Seller has his money, so are you really expecting someone to be so diligent and to keep a card safe for 2 addl years, and then remember to mail it to you? And what happens if they don't? Are you going to going to sue them for an old warranty card...

I just find the possibilities are not worth the savings
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 08:42 AM   #21
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post
I was all set to purchase a Starwheel, then the seller disclosed that it needed to be a safe sale at the last moment.

I actually called my SA to ask her a few questions about re-registration. I told her that I understand their policy of needing the card to re-register, but would they really refuse to register if I were to walk into the store with the watch and a purchase invoice including serial showing I am the owner? (Or alternatively, doing the aforementioned when picking up after sending in for service aka to confirm authenticity.)

I mean, the warranty follows the watch, right? I can't imagine this hasn't been litigated yet... I am still planning on purchasing a Starwheel, so I'll try to update this thread accordingly.
Personal experience. I helped my brother send in a ROO for servicing and my full details was taken down. Was told upon collection, either he has to collect personally or the watch will be re-registered in my name.
Old 9 July 2024, 10:01 AM   #22
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post

That is exactly it, the warranty goes with the watch not the owner, so any issue with the watch is covered by the warranty, regardless of the owner.

HOWEVER and very important, the 2 year watch theft protection goes to whom the watch is registered to. Should the watch be stolen, the police report needs to be in the name of the individual to whom the watch is registered to and you can not do this without the warranty card.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 02:33 PM   #23
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Personal experience. I helped my brother send in a ROO for servicing and my full details was taken down. Was told upon collection, either he has to collect personally or the watch will be re-registered in my name.

This company is just ridiculous. They have a way of alienating customers down to an art.

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 08:14 PM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
This company is just ridiculous. They have a way of alienating customers down to an art.
Alienating flippers, you mean.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 9 July 2024, 08:36 PM   #25
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Alienating flippers, you mean.

Did you read the post? It was his own brother he was helping!
Man, it must be a full time job for you and Ronald McDonald trying to do damage control for AP

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 04:12 AM   #26
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Yeah, being able to register the watch and have it show up in the account correctly is a pretty good confidence boost.
2020 Tokyo is a stunning piece. Did you get it from a boutique?
temporaltactix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 04:31 AM   #27
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Did you read the post? It was his own brother he was helping!
Man, it must be a full time job for you and Ronald McDonald trying to do damage control for AP
I applaud APs attempts to have allocations go to collectors rather than flippers. Doesn't always work, but at least they're trying. If there are some edge cases where this leads to some inconvenience, so be it. I'm pretty sure most customers don't have to rely on their relatives for sending their watch to be serviced.
Old 10 July 2024, 04:54 AM   #28
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaltactix View Post
2020 Tokyo is a stunning piece. Did you get it from a boutique?
From a Japanese dealer on C24 (watch came from a boutique in Japan). I didn't get anywhere with a boutique when I tried in person.
Old 10 July 2024, 12:33 PM   #29
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaltactix View Post
2020 Tokyo is a stunning piece.
What's this reference you referring to?
Old 11 July 2024, 05:43 AM   #30
temporaltactix