The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Makoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15670 Explorer II
Icon9 Buying vintage and worrying about water resistance

I've always been reluctant to buy a very old Rolex because I was concerned that it wouldn't be as water-(shock/dust-) resistant as a newer piece. Do you think this is an important concern?

Can I expect that a 16800 Submariner, for example, or a 1016 Explorer, should be water proof enough for a swim if they've recently been serviced? Or could they be sent for servicing to assure that they will be?

I have a newer Explorer and am shopping for a similar Explorer II now. But after reading article on Hodinkee ""Twelve More Mistakes New Watch Enthusiasts Make (And How To Avoid Them)" that advised against only enjoying modern (or only vintage) watches, I thought it would be nice to try something else. But this issue worries me, so I'm asking for your thoughts and experience. Thanks!
Makoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If the seals and sealing surfaces are sound, it is well maintained, the watch will be as waterproof as it was when it was new.

Watches don't become feeble as they age.
Old 25 May 2020, 12:06 PM   #3
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Buy the watch you want and have it serviced/pressure tested by someone who knows what they are doing as soon as you know that you want to keep it.

Specifically tell the watchmaker your want to ensure the watch is waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Unfortunately, you won't know if the watch is capable of passing a pressure test until after it has been cleaned and tested with new seals, it will depend on the integrity of the sealing surfaces and other factors. While it's easy to say that old watches can be made waterproof, in practice my first-hand experience says that it's not always as easy as it sounds. I have some watches from the 1960s and 1970s that pass a 100m pressure test, and others that do not. And if you are determined to have it pass a pressure test, you might have to replace the crystal, crown, etc. Generally speaking, I don't plan to swim in vintage watches.
Old 25 May 2020, 07:42 PM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Generally speaking, I don't plan to swim in vintage watches.
This. If you're swimming, get a modern Sub or Tudor. Why risk a beautiful irreplaceable vintage piece, even if you've had it pressure tested?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:10 PM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
This. If you're swimming, get a modern Sub or Tudor. Why risk a beautiful irreplaceable vintage piece, even if you've had it pressure tested?

I think it depends on the watch. One with a rare dial in exceptional original condition would be pretty silly to swim with. But, as the OP was thinking, a 16800 - especially a non-matte dial - would make a great daily you can swim with.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:20 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I think it depends on the watch. One with a rare dial in exceptional original condition would be pretty silly to swim with. But, as the OP was thinking, a 16800 - especially a non-matte dial - would make a great daily you can swim with.
I used to take baths wearing my WG 1803. Don't know what I was thinking (even though it was pressure-tested). My stance has definitely changed. I wouldn't dare do that now. Wholly unnecessary risk.
Old 25 May 2020, 11:41 PM   #8
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to take baths wearing my WG 1803. Don't know what I was thinking (even though it was pressure-tested). My stance has definitely changed. I wouldn't dare do that now. Wholly unnecessary risk.
I used to swim and even scuba dive with my 1680. I don't do that anymore. But I do like having a watch that I don't have to worry about getting wet. My thinking is that a 16800 (better yet, 168000) is more robust than a four digit sub and the sapphire is less prone to crystal leaks. I actually have no idea if that's true or not but it seems to make sense!
Old 25 May 2020, 11:56 PM   #9
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I am interested in hearing from anyone with expertise about how frequently a vintage watch should be pressure tested and have seals checked in order to be safe to swim with. My local watch repair shop told me “once a year”, so I swim with a G-Shock instead.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #10
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eyes View Post
I am interested in hearing from anyone with expertise about how frequently a vintage watch should be pressure tested and have seals checked in order to be safe to swim with. My local watch repair shop told me “once a year”, so I swim with a G-Shock instead.
Nobody knows when a watch will fail.

Swimming is a lot different than diving. Diving you may want a once a year check, but it is seldom necessary for swimming; different dynamics.

Vintage or new is irrelevant, as long as it has been maintained and the sealing surfaces are sound.

The risk with vintage is that if it does fail, you cannot repair it to it's original condition. Depending on the model, that could be more risk than many of us would want to take.
Old 26 May 2020, 01:18 AM   #11
Nick9
"TRF" Member

I have never missed knowing the time when swimming. I don't see the point of wearing a watch while swimming. Am I alone in this?
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:25 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
I have never missed knowing the time when swimming. I don't see the point of wearing a watch while swimming. Am I alone in this?
Depends. If you're in a pool with your kids, sometimes for hours, you need to know the time. And divers need to know the time too, of course.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:45 AM   #13
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post

Have you ever been on holiday at the beach and felt a little uneasy stuffing your Rolex into the toe of your beach shoe while you take a dip? And sometimes you just dive in and forget to take it off. It’s just nice to not have to think about it.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:08 AM   #14
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Used to swim with my 67 5513. Stopped on that.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #15
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I would just wear a cheap watch and not worry about it while swimming or on the beach. The sight of water damage to my vintage watch just for the sake of swimming etc would kill me. Yes, frequent servicing and testing helps but I still wouldn't do it. :)
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:59 AM   #16
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

A watch maker can test water resistance in 5 minutes with a machine. Bring it to a watch maker with a good reputation and they'll test it for you.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #17
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Frankly, I wouldn’t swim or dive with any vintage watch. I have a DJ 1603 from 1969 I had serviced by my Rolex parts watchmaker. It keeps perfect time within COSC but it’s still a 50 year old timepiece. I didn’t buy vintage to wear it as a GADA watch. Why have to worry about getting it knocked around on the beach or worse a pool. My Explorer is my knock around watch. Get a knock around piece for swimming. .
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:41 AM   #18
1watch
"TRF" Member

Even if a properly serviced vintage Sub, etc. passes a pressure test, as mentioned above the risk is really high if it fails for some reason and you're left with a problem requiring replacement parts. Not worth the angst to me at all. If someone wants to loan me their 5513 to do a test, fine... not risking it with mine though
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 07:02 AM   #19
Makoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15670 Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your input.

I did buy a newer Explorer II, because it's what I had my heart set on in the first place. But I'll look into a vintage watch next. I'm not as worried about this issue anymore, thanks to the conversation.
Makoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:54 AM   #20
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

omg
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 09:52 AM   #21
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Swimming is a lot different than diving. Diving you may want a once a year check, but it is seldom necessary for swimming; different dynamics.

Vintage or new is irrelevant, as long as it has been maintained and the sealing surfaces are sound.

The risk with vintage is that if it does fail, you cannot repair it to it's original condition. Depending on the model, that could be more risk than many of us would want to take.
Thanks Larry and others.

Nick, I use the G-Shock for timing laps, sometimes a Seiko turtle. No granular data, just elapsed time. Haven’t been able to in a while though, with covid-related pool closure!

Agree with the prevailing sentiment that it’s not worth risking a vintage piece over.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:38 AM   #22
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Should have clarified. I take a beater on vacation. It sits in my shoe when I go for a dip.

I suppose wearing a watch in the pool with the kids would be okay, with the right watch. A vintage Rolex (or vintage anything) would never be the right watch. There is enough grief in vintage watch collecting already. No need to invite more, for me anyway.

To each his own, of course.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:38 AM   #23
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Would you expect swim or dive goggles that were 40+ years old to all have as tight of a seal in the water as a modern pair of goggles?

There are times when you don’t want to tempt fate. This is one of them.......

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 02:08 AM   #24
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
I would just wear a cheap watch and not worry about it while swimming or on the beach. . . . )

the Sub is my cheap watch.
Old 27 May 2020, 04:07 AM   #25
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol! Well played.
Old 27 May 2020, 05:42 AM   #26
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
lol

Quote:
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:11 PM   #27
Harmon Rabb
"TRF" Member

Quote:

With all said above. I take my chances and use all my vintage Rolex in the open sea while swimming. Usually I travel with one watch on my wrist and I rather loose it to the bottom of the sea or destroyed by salt water than having someone steal it hidden in cloth or shoes at the beach, in a car out of sight or hotel room even keep in a safe. It’s not that hard to open a hotel room safe and I don’t think I’d like to have discussions with hotel staff, owner or my insurance company about the loss of a say 10 000- 25 000 dollar watch. It could end up in a blame game. Not worth my time.

I thrust my watches to be waterproof and if they would fail. That’s life. It’s just a watch at the end of the day. It’s replaceable.
Harmon Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 10:13 PM   #28
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Rabb View Post
It’s replaceable.
A mint 1680 Red or a Daytona 6265 are technically "replaceable," but only if you can find one, and only if you're comfortable risking that much money just for the sake of having a dive/swim/bath/shower. Anything can go wrong at any time with watches, regardless of how recently they've been pressure checked or serviced.

As long as I have a modern Tudor or Rolex in the collection, that's what I'll be wearing in the pool. Wholly replaceable and (relatively) affordable. For me, vintage isn't for watery places. Stay safe.
Old 27 May 2020, 10:58 PM   #29
Harmon Rabb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A mint 1680 Red or a Daytona 6265 are technically "replaceable," but only if you can find one, and only if you're comfortable risking that much money just for the sake of having a dive/swim/bath/shower. Anything can go wrong at any time with watches, regardless of how recently they've been pressure checked or serviced.

As long as I have a modern Tudor or Rolex in the collection, that's what I'll be wearing in the pool. Wholly replaceable and (relatively) affordable. For me, vintage isn't for watery places. Stay safe.
The same can be said about just about anything in life. There are no guarantees. I can walk over the street and fall and break my neck or I can do it while do something fun like skiing. One of the nice features about a Rolex say red 1680 to take your example above is that is was made as a tool watch and can continue to be that regarding waterproof ness and that it’s made to take some beating. Most vintage watches already have patina from many years of usage. A few more doesn’t matter. I’d rather wear no watch at all than owning a vintage watch thats I’m afraid of damaging. What’s the point. I ride motorbikes, doing active sports like swimming, skiing, playing tennis etc. So far I have never done any damage to any of my watches after 15 years or so.
Harmon Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:33 PM   #30
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

I know it’s been discussed in multiple threads (even some currently active ones) what to do if you have a failure and moisture gets in. If you’re obsessive about your watches, you’re likely to notice this right away and address it. My guess is that most vintage dials or movements would not be damaged much if at all from a few days exposure to water. If it happens, get right to a watchmaker for a full service. (I realize this may provoke a strong response from some!)