The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2021, 05:13 PM   #1
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cat Wall Clock
Boutiques Came Through Hard For Christmas

I'm describing my experiences with both Rolex -and- AP Boutiques.

I had a relatively fun and short stretch flipping watches here which gave me the opportunity to learn about and appreciate these luxuries I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. This was all thanks to my friend and member here on TRF who equipped me with the knowledge and balls to dive into this addicting hobby.

Short story is, I put aside the flipping and concentrated on other aspects of my life which have now given me the ability to start collecting in earnest for myself.

I own a modest OP39 which was a present to me by my wife and that held me down for years.

But as I am getting older and working even harder now, I am finding that nothing is giving me the joy I used to have messing around and geeking over watches.

As such, I decided to try my luck at 2 boutiques to see if I could fill that void in my heart, knowing how difficult it was to try to compete with countless others and their own personal stories, to obtain a watch.

For Rolex, I sought out a Sub D. I had sold my personal Sub in order to cough up the funds for my wife's engagement ring.

I also sold my AP 15703st, a present I got myself after making a small amount on some trades a few years back for personal reasons.

Both left weird gaping voids in my soul when let go.

I walked into each boutique with an open mind, an honest word and no expectations for anything. I wasn't entitled, I wasn't begging, and I certainly wasn't pushy.

ROLEX - 0 history with Tourneau/Bucherer. Found an exceptionally personable and sincere SA. I was very specific about what I wanted and the reason why. I spent less than 15 minutes at the store talking and trying on just 1 watch. I was offerred no promises. I followed up one time at the store to drop off some treats to say hello and left it at that.

AUDEMARS PIGUET - I went to a Boutique with 0 purchase history. My original 15703st was with one of you guys. I met with an SA to express interest on a new 15720st and tried on only 1 watch, and looked at the new Code 11.59 - really like BTW. They took my info down and I followed up 1 time and left it at that.

Fast forward recently, I get a message from both SAs - ON THE SAME DAY - letting me know I was in their thoughts and they allocated a watch to me. Total wait - 1.5 months.

I cried like a giant man baby.

My take away on this is that your personal relationship with the SA is going to play a huge part in how they decide who gets what. It's not like I went out of my way to woo them.

Don't be a d*ck and don't wave your cash around like it means sh*t. Just be honest, treat your SA with dignity and respect and perhaps you'll find yourself with a dream come true.
fwong208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 12:56 AM   #2
Riic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dd
Pics or it didn't happen
Riic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 01:45 AM   #3
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riic View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
Yes,,
Congrats with your incomings but your patronising and condescending attitude at the end of your post will not endear you to this community,,,
Never a good idea to refer to people as “ Dicks”,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 01:45 AM   #4
stevestil
"TRF" Member

pics.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #5
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Nothing wrong with a modest OP39.
One watch does all in needs.
Old 17 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riic View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
The crying or the watches?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:10 AM   #7
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Yes,,
Congrats with your incomings but your patronising and condescending attitude at the end of your post will not endear you to this community,,,
I totally agree with you about referring to people as d*cks. It's not nice nor fair.

However I've been around to boutiques and stores and I've seen people try to leverage wealth to press associates into trying to get them a watch and also as a way to create an air of entitled superiority.

I was not intending to ascribe these things to the community, just an observation on what not to do.

Everyone can take it how they will. I've only had good vibes from most members here from my first day on this community many years ago.
Old 17 December 2021, 02:20 AM   #8
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikandtokalot View Post
Nothing wrong with a modest OP39.
One watch does all in needs.

Truest of words.

I found this to be the most versatile ever. I probably have 1mm photos around of me wearing it for every occasion. I've beat the crazy out of it and it's still beautiful.
Old 17 December 2021, 02:21 AM   #9
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwong208 View Post
I totally agree with you about referring to people as d*cks. It's not nice nor fair.

However I've been around to boutiques and stores and I've seen people try to leverage wealth to press associates into trying to get them a watch and also as a way to create an air of entitled superiority.

I was not intending to ascribe these things to the community, just an observation on what not to do.

Everyone can take it how they will. I've only had good vibes from most members here from my first day on this community many years ago.
That’s fair enough and I don’t wish you any bad vibes ,,,
People here are very aware of how some people treat SAs in ADs and there seemingly entitlement and I have a lot of empathy for SAs who have to repeat “ sorry no Daytona’s,GMTs or Subs ex amount of times every day and the response they receive,,,,,
All the best with your new pieces ,,,
Old 17 December 2021, 02:30 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Yes,,
I have to say there’s lots of postings here that seem to be coming from those very types of people, and I’d have to side with the OP on his observations.
So many people here feel like they’re entitled to buy the watch they want because they have the money, it’s just not that simple. And anytime a poster refers to SA’s as somehow lesser human beings than themselves, I know immediately why that person isn’t getting any AD watches.
I am not a whale but have received three pretty desirable pieces in a row from my AD with no additional purchases simply by being respectful and consistent.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:37 AM   #11
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s fair enough and I don’t wish you any bad vibes ,,,
People here are very aware of how some people treat SAs in ADs and there seemingly entitlement and I have a lot of empathy for SAs who have to repeat “ sorry no Daytona’s,GMTs or Subs ex amount of times every day and the response they receive,,,,,
All the best with your new pieces ,,,
Thanks for the wishes!
Old 17 December 2021, 02:42 AM   #12
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I have to say there’s lots of postings here that seem to be coming from those very types of people, and I’d have to side with the OP on his observations.
So many people here feel like they’re entitled to buy the watch they want because they have the money, it’s just not that simple. And anytime a poster refers to SA’s as somehow lesser human beings than themselves, I know immediately why that person isn’t getting any AD watches.
I am not a whale but have received three pretty desirable pieces in a row from my AD with no additional purchases simply by being respectful and consistent.
Yes,,,
It’s nice to be nice ,,,,,
Old 17 December 2021, 02:45 AM   #13
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Doesn’t cost anything to be nice.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:58 AM   #14
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Yeah, +1 on the not minding your commentary at the end. Lots of guys in this hobby seem like really hard people to be around.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing your experience.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 03:12 AM   #15
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
I'm describing my experiences with both Rolex -and- AP Boutiques.

I had a relatively fun and short stretch flipping watches here which gave me the opportunity to learn about and appreciate these luxuries I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. This was all thanks to my friend and member here on TRF who equipped me with the knowledge and balls to dive into this addicting hobby.

Short story is, I put aside the flipping and concentrated on other aspects of my life which have now given me the ability to start collecting in earnest for myself.

I own a modest OP39 which was a present to me by my wife and that held me down for years.

But as I am getting older and working even harder now, I am finding that nothing is giving me the joy I used to have messing around and geeking over watches.

As such, I decided to try my luck at 2 boutiques to see if I could fill that void in my heart, knowing how difficult it was to try to compete with countless others and their own personal stories, to obtain a watch.

For Rolex, I sought out a Sub D. I had sold my personal Sub in order to cough up the funds for my wife's engagement ring.

I also sold my AP 15703st, a present I got myself after making a small amount on some trades a few years back for personal reasons.

Both left weird gaping voids in my soul when let go.

I walked into each boutique with an open mind, an honest word and no expectations for anything. I wasn't entitled, I wasn't begging, and I certainly wasn't pushy.

ROLEX - 0 history with Tourneau/Bucherer. Found an exceptionally personable and sincere SA. I was very specific about what I wanted and the reason why. I spent less than 15 minutes at the store talking and trying on just 1 watch. I was offerred no promises. I followed up one time at the store to drop off some treats to say hello and left it at that.

AUDEMARS PIGUET - I went to a Boutique with 0 purchase history. My original 15703st was with one of you guys. I met with an SA to express interest on a new 15720st and tried on only 1 watch, and looked at the new Code 11.59 - really like BTW. They took my info down and I followed up 1 time and left it at that.

Fast forward recently, I get a message from both SAs - ON THE SAME DAY - letting me know I was in their thoughts and they allocated a watch to me. Total wait - 1.5 months.

I cried like a giant man baby.

My take away on this is that your personal relationship with the SA is going to play a huge part in how they decide who gets what. It's not like I went out of my way to woo them.

Don't be a d*ck and don't wave your cash around like it means sh*t. Just be honest, treat your SA with dignity and respect and perhaps you'll find yourself with a dream come true.
Happens all the time. I've gotten 3 from AD this year.

Now not so sure about your last sentence/comment but Uh Ok. And of course it is all about personal relationships. I guess it could be summed up as "be likable".

OH and as others said...Pictures or you are just "a d*ck waving your wins around and your post don't mean sh*t without them". (see what I did there )

or am I
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 03:18 AM   #16
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

So now you’re off to buy scuba gear? Congratulations on two great divers!

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 03:25 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post

Now not so sure about your last sentence/comment but Uh Ok. And of course it is all about personal relationships. I guess it could be summed up as "be likable".

OH and as others said...Pictures or you are just "a d*ck waving your wins around and your post don't mean sh*t without them". (see what I did there )

or am I
Wow, I think I got whiplash!
Old 17 December 2021, 03:32 AM   #18
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Wow, I think I got whiplash!
Haha! Hopefully my emojis make it clear I was being ironic.
Old 17 December 2021, 03:59 AM   #19
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats where are the pics?
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:00 AM   #20
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I think OP has a great story; most people sense he meant no offense, just stating how/how not to act, in life in general.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:01 AM   #21
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Haha! Hopefully my emojis make it clear I was being ironic.
You betcha!
Old 17 December 2021, 04:02 AM   #22
ks58
Banned

Great that they came through. Show the proof as well. Great story though.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:28 AM   #23
mcch2233
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was at my AD a few weeks ago, and this one guy was SO clearly flaunting his wife's Birkin around the entire store - as she was looking in some cases, he was holding her bag and putting it on the counter at other cases when talking to an SA to keep it in CLEAR view.

Probably one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen in person.
mcch2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:50 AM   #24
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Quote:

or am I
Yall just forcing my hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211216_080231.jpg (105.5 KB, 1375 views)
Old 17 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #25
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Yall just forcing my hand

What size is that AP!?
Old 17 December 2021, 06:01 AM   #26
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:

What size is that AP!?
I think it's 42mm AP ROO.

Congrats to OP!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
AP: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) PP: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, YG Carree, Tank W5000156 Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:42 AM   #27
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I think it's 42mm AP ROO.

Congrats to OP!
oic. What size is that wrist then!!!!
Old 17 December 2021, 06:55 AM   #28
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
oic. What size is that wrist then!!!!
About an inch and a half too small for that watch, but he’s happy. I say good for him.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 07:03 AM   #29
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
About an inch and a half too small for that watch, but he’s happy. I say good for him.

That's all that matters.
Old 17 December 2021, 08:46 AM   #30
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
You're absolutely right. I have spaghetti wrists it's totally off. Need to bulk up again