The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2022, 11:12 AM   #1
Df1kilo1
"TRF" Member

So I got the call. My story

Some background.
I’ve been looking at a Rolex for over 20 years. Early in my career I went into a Mayors and saw tons of Subs, Datejusts etc. Great conversation with the salesman but I could not justify it.
Flash forward to 2012. I got very lucky and was able to retire pretty young and went back into my local Rolex dealer. Again the watches were plentiful but I couldn’t pull the trigger. My kid was in college etc. I just didn’t feel good about it especially as a young retiree. Luckily I had a wonderful wife who said just do it! But again I couldn’t do it.
Flash forward again to 2021. I’m staring at my Apple Watch, my son was on his own, my life was in a pretty good spot…and I finally felt OK to pull the trigger. I walked into a Rolex dealer very nonchalantly expecting to walk out with the watch of my dreams, the Rolex Submariner. Obviously I was gob smacked when not only did they say they don’t have the watch but quite frankly I probably would not get the watch from them.
Now, understand …I really had not followed the whole high end watch drama/graymarket. I had no idea what had happened so I was super surprised to say the least. Naïvely I thought maybe that is just this dealer…let’s go to another. Then another. Then another.
Four months ago I decided to give it one more shot. I drove two hours to a boutique Rolex dealer who I spent almost an hour and a half with discussing what I had been through. He was super receptive took all my information and said I cannot guarantee you’ll get the watch immediately but…. I promise you will get that watch.
I just got the call last week. My watch was in.
I guess the moral of the story is life is short… grab what you want when you want if everything around you is OK and you’re not sacrificing the needs of your loved ones. Also, that a lot of dealers just want to sell a watch to a guy or a girl who really have worked hard and sacrificed to buy a watch of their dreams. I don’t know how they make their decision who gets what… but naïvely I think part of it may be they just also just want to feel good about themselves as well.
Best to everyone
Df1kilo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:50 AM   #2
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Congrats! Enjoyed reading your story. Nice watch. Hope to see some pictures
Old 19 January 2022, 11:52 AM   #3
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Wow crazy story! Glad that you found an AD that empathized with your situation and helped you get your dream watch. Now be sure to enjoy and wear it in good health
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
They say good things come to those who wait and that saying must have originated from Rolex.

Enjoy wearing it and post up a pix when it arrives

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:58 AM   #5
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Great story. Great explanation. Congrats
Cigars&Watches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:59 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Congratulations
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 11:59 AM   #7
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your watch and retirement! More time to stare at that sub and enjoy it. I agree with you that a story goes a long way for getting a watch allocation. I had a similar experience. Went in and chatted about an engagement ring and mentioned I’d like to get a watch for myself to attach that memory with that I can hold on to forever. A little wait later and I have the watch. Now I just need to pop the question……..cheers and welcome to the sub club!
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:00 PM   #8
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats that was not so bad.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:01 PM   #9
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Great story, thanks for sharing and Congratulations
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:03 PM   #10
wchbos
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. Great to hear that it worked out.
wchbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:19 PM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:34 PM   #12
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Nice
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:37 PM   #13
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
Congratualtions. Im glad you were finally able to reward yourself for you hard work and for being a responsible father and husband. I totally understand where you were coming from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:37 PM   #14
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Congrats! Post a pic when you can.
Old 19 January 2022, 12:49 PM   #15
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Great story. YOLO.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:00 PM   #16
noshame
"TRF" Member

Congrats, OP. Now go enjoy that SUB!
Old 19 January 2022, 01:09 PM   #17
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Df1kilo1 View Post
Some background.
I’ve been looking at a Rolex for over 20 years. Early in my career I went into a Mayors and saw tons of Subs, Datejusts etc. Great conversation with the salesman but I could not justify it.
Flash forward to 2012. I got very lucky and was able to retire pretty young and went back into my local Rolex dealer. Again the watches were plentiful but I couldn’t pull the trigger. My kid was in college etc. I just didn’t feel good about it especially as a young retiree. Luckily I had a wonderful wife who said just do it! But again I couldn’t do it.
Flash forward again to 2021. I’m staring at my Apple Watch, my son was on his own, my life was in a pretty good spot…and I finally felt OK to pull the trigger. I walked into a Rolex dealer very nonchalantly expecting to walk out with the watch of my dreams, the Rolex Submariner. Obviously I was gob smacked when not only did they say they don’t have the watch but quite frankly I probably would not get the watch from them.
Now, understand …I really had not followed the whole high end watch drama/graymarket. I had no idea what had happened so I was super surprised to say the least. Naïvely I thought maybe that is just this dealer…let’s go to another. Then another. Then another.
Four months ago I decided to give it one more shot. I drove two hours to a boutique Rolex dealer who I spent almost an hour and a half with discussing what I had been through. He was super receptive took all my information and said I cannot guarantee you’ll get the watch immediately but…. I promise you will get that watch.
I guess the moral of the story is life is short… grab what you want when you want if everything around you is OK and you’re not sacrificing the needs of your loved ones. Also, that a lot of dealers just want to sell a watch to a guy or a girl who really have worked hard and sacrificed to buy a watch of their dreams. I don’t know how they make their decision who gets what… but naïvely I think part of it may be they just also just want to feel good about themselves as well.
Best to everyone
Cool story and all, but where's the wrist shot :D

Congrats on your new watch.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:20 PM   #18
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Congrats! I'm happy to hear that you were able to acquire your dream watch. It just took some persistence but well worth it.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:23 PM   #19
"TRF" Member

Nice story and positive spin!
Graham Silverstone Stowe GMT 2BLCD.W04A
Ball Engineer II Green Berets NM2028C-L4CJ-BK
8202632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:26 PM   #20
craftedtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SLGH003
Congrats! Wear in good health!
craftedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:41 PM   #21
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Congratulations �������� enjoy in good health
Old 19 January 2022, 01:51 PM   #22
SWS65SM

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
My hats off to you for just trying to be responsible, and am absolutely happy for you on ultimately able to land the watch that you wanted. Enjoy it!
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:57 PM   #23
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

Quote:
Some background.
Best to everyone
Glad you found someone who could help you. Most if not all ADs want to have that long term relationship with someone. Obviously, a one off purchase of a watch isn't the relationship they want because of the demand and how many current customers want the same thing.
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:01 PM   #24
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Enjoy that watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:30 PM   #25
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Congrats OP. Generally speaking I think Rolex only Boutiques are the best place to throw the dice. Yes they have lots of clients but they also receive lots of inventory. And no jewelry to sell you.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:43 PM   #26
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 04:22 PM   #27
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Some background.
Best to everyone

Amazing journey and your last sentence is key and so true. I can relate to your story in many points.
Like you, I had the chance in the past and dropped it and like you I was lucky to have a Rolex boutique nearby who’s manager like to serve new customers “not flippers” that are celebrating a milestone. It feels good for them to do so.
I remember when I told her that if she won’t be able to get my watch I’ll simply give up cause I don’t buy grey. She said that she won’t let me go grey or anywhere and that my watch will be delivered to me sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2022, 05:17 PM   #28
Langer88
"TRF" Member

Glad you got your watch, congrats!
Langer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:22 PM   #29
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
You got lucky eventually. Well done, OP.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 09:06 PM   #30
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Some background.
Best to everyone

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote