The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
RSC no longer allows color changes for Bezel Inserts.

Hi All, just wanted to share my experience from RSC in Singapore. I brought a 16710 down to see if they can change my faded pepsi inserts to a new one as i prefer the colour to be vibrant. Bought it from a trusted seller from TRF.

They said they will needed to check if the model was originally a pepsi. If it wasnt, they are unable to change the color of it. Anyone with similar experiences?
Old 8 October 2018, 03:53 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i think i have heard that they wont change black to pepsi but they will change pepsi to black on aluminum bezels. Someone posted about a similar issue but it also might depend on what RSC you use. Im sure someone will be along to confirm for sure though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Curious... why so fussy?
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Per Tyler, in London at least everything is classed as interchangeable apart from if the watch is in the system/paperwork as a ‘LN’. In that case the bezel can be changed as part of a service request
Per my conversation with them (I suspect it may come down to who serves you). I asked them this as my first 16710 was a LN but had a Pepsi bezel.

I have purchased a Pepsi bezel and jubilee bracelet from them in the last month for my new 16710 which came as coke on oyster.

In fact the only restriction they have is that any purchased parts must be fitted at the time. I’ll be getting the black insert this week to complete the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

In my case. They verified it as a blro model. So i can only replace it with a new pepsi insert if i wanted to. However, if it was a LN series. They will only allow me to replace the insert with a black. And they will keep the old pepsi insert.
Old 8 October 2018, 04:55 PM   #6
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

But the real question is what they replace the flat 4 bezels with on the 50th anniversary subs? Some people will inevitably get theirs serviced and wipe away $10,000 of value in a flash.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:11 PM   #7
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
But the real question is what they replace the flat 4 bezels with on the 50th anniversary subs? Some people will inevitably get theirs serviced and wipe away $10,000 of value in a flash.

The flat four insert already no longer available from RSC. Unless someone is super lucky if their local RSC still have this old insert for change.

But I doubt the chances are very slim

Old 8 October 2018, 06:14 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=628695
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I'll wager they wouldn't swap a 116710 BLNR bezel/insert for a 12670 BLRO bezel/insert?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 07:10 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Curious... why so fussy?
Protecting the brand by underpinning the vintage watches.

Frankenwatches only devalue the brand.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
The flat four insert already no longer available from RSC. Unless someone is super lucky if their local RSC still have this old insert for change.

But I doubt the chances are very slim

Slightly off post, but still bezel related, I'm guessing you haven't seen some of the recent posts where 16610LVs that weren't originally flat 4s are coming back from RSC service with flat 4 service bezels (where the bezels needed replacing) - sort of dispelling the 'flat 4' sellers myth.
On that basis the pointed 4 service bezels will be more valuable, an interesting development, in my view.
I'm lucky I bought my watch when they were hugely undesirable and before the internet hype for the princely sum of £3250 (£280 over the regular 16610 price!) It's not a flat 4 and I don't care.
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 08:27 PM   #12
ColnagoC60
"TRF" Member

Actually aren’t discolored/ghost GMT bezels highly sought after? If it were me, I would leave it as it gives it a nice rich character. But of course, might not be for you.

The fade on my 1992 series 2000 Tag is not as even as I’d want, but it is legit (I actually did use this for scuba diving in the 90s).

ColnagoC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC60 View Post
Actually aren’t discolored/ghost GMT bezels highly sought after? If it were me, I would leave it as it gives it a nice rich character. But of course, might not be for you.

The fade on my 1992 series 2000 Tag is not as even as I’d want, but it is legit (I actually did use this for scuba diving in the 90s).

Yup in the end i didn't change the bezel. Just did a spring change as the bezel wasnt turning smoothly.
Old 8 October 2018, 09:27 PM   #14
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Per Tyler, in London at least everything is classed as interchangeable apart from if the watch is in the system/paperwork as a ‘LN’. In that case the bezel can be changed as part of a service request
Per my conversation with them (I suspect it may come down to who serves you). I asked them this as my first 16710 was a LN but had a Pepsi bezel.

I have purchased a Pepsi bezel and jubilee bracelet from them in the last month for my new 16710 which came as coke on oyster.

In fact the only restriction they have is that any purchased parts must be fitted at the time. I’ll be getting the black insert this week to complete the set.

Steve can you comment on whether they request to keep the oyster bracelet? Or if you wanna keep it they charge a different price for the jubilee ? If so how much was it in gbp? Thanks

Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik8yu View Post
Steve can you comment on whether they request to keep the oyster bracelet? Or if you wanna keep it they charge a different price for the jubilee ? If so how much was it in gbp? Thanks

I bought it from RSC - cost was 850 quid. They gave me back the oyster as it was an outright purchase. I don’t actually know what the cost would be as an exchange (or if they would even do that).

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:39 PM   #16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
They said they will needed to check if the model was originally a pepsi. If it wasnt, they are unable to change the color of it. Anyone with similar experiences?
Here in the US, Rolex USA is the same way. I tried getting a Pepsi insert for my GMT and they'd only sell me a Coke since that's how it was originally configured.

I know there's always complaints with why people pay stupid prices for inserts instead of getting them through an RSC but this is why. Times have changed and Rolex (at least in some locations) are very strict about parts.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:51 PM   #17
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

If this is true, I wonder if eventually Coke will overtake Pepsi in value and collectability. Coke bezel was only available for 5 digits. Pepsi made much longer through 4, 5, 6 digit serials.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 11:16 PM   #18
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I bought it from RSC - cost was 850 quid. They gave me back the oyster as it was an outright purchase. I don’t actually know what the cost would be as an exchange (or if they would even do that).

Many thanks !

Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:55 AM   #19
d4v3
"TRF" Member

When I was looking to buy my 16710 there were plenty of coke/pepsi versions for sale that were actually an LN with a bezel change.
It's a real problem as the version code is only on the swing-tag, even the guarantee doesn't show it.
Had to send a couple of watches back thanks to the 14 day distance selling rules after trying to get the bezel changed and Rolex refusing as the serial related to an LN.

As mentioned, Rolex service centres in the UK will NOT change an LN for anything other than an LN and second hand bezels are expensive.
d4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:58 AM   #20
Highjinx
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub - 16610
That's just Singapore where the people are joyless automons unable to think or make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Highjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #21
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
That's just Singapore where the people are joyless automons unable to think or make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Pretty sure I'm happy with my life and am able to make decisions though