The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2021, 05:09 AM   #1
tdk133
"TRF" Member

The future of Oysterflex

How can Rolex increase visits to ADs (and the collateral purchases associated therewith) and profits without impact on watch production?
Go hard in the strap game.

First, introduce a new quick-release upgrade for all bracelets (a la AP and VC).
Retrofits for all modern models will be available but users must surrender legacy endlinks to receive upgrade.
That will allow ADs opportunity to sell customers other watches when they visit for the endlink swap and increase scarcity of models without the quick release upgrade.

Next, make Oysterflex available as an accessory for every model.
Release new Oysterflex patterns/designs each year specific to each model (e.g., world timezone map for GMT Masters, airplane motif for Skydwellers).
Each year, customers will be limited to one Oysterflex per model they own.
Customer must visit AD for sizing and to register model/serial no. for which the Oysterflex is being purchased.

Accomplishments of the above:
  • Embossing new patterns on the Oysterflex each year will have minimal cost but outsized visibility: Strictly limited supply and high demand (“I want a Seadweller OF for my Sub”) will keep interest frothy.
  • Potential for collateral sales exists because customers must visit AD for mandatory sizing.
  • Database of serial numbers for watches brought to ADs for Oysterflex fitting can be compared to sales records to trace transmission chain.
  • Not saying Rolex will crack down on flipping but if they identify a pattern of hot models sold by a single AD being registered for Oysterflex fittings at other ADs throughout the world within months of sale, they might have a talk with the original AD.
  • Additionally, one presumes the profit margin on Oysterflex would be robust.

Thoughts on this proposal?
tdk133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:13 AM   #2
J97
"TRF" Member

A

Last edited by J97; 3 December 2021 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: A
J97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:24 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk133 View Post
How can Rolex increase visits to ADs (and the collateral purchases associated therewith) and profits without impact on watch production?

Thoughts on this proposal?
Purchases of what? Invite more people to the stores to see the watches they do not have?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:42 AM   #4
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
bad idea.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 07:30 AM   #5
itsinthebag
"TRF" Member

I don't think they'll release OF for every model. Keeping it on PM only models helps with the luxury/exclusivity perception. Raising prices across the board for all models would do more for profit expansion and require the least amount of effort/cost/time - don't need to invest in new OF types, quick-release technology, etc. Rolex isn't always seeking to maximize profit in the general economic sense.
itsinthebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:30 PM   #6
dimalexpl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air King
I like your sense of humor !

dimalexpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:35 PM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
This is not the rolex way. They’re so old school.

At this point AP, VC and Patek all have some type of quick release system (Patek just their leather straps). But rolex doesn’t want you ever fussing with your watch. They don’t want spare parts floating around, they want to keep watches married to their bracelets and hate when the end users try to play watch maker.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:03 AM   #8
nyc10ken
Banned

OF are $275 per piece, there's not much margin in that. Rolex will sell it no matter bracelet or strap.

Plus what bothers me about the new Tudors is the lack of bracelets and some undesirable strap options. And paying a higher price for a stand alone bracelet.

Hypothetically if Rolex did what youre proposing you will see a few more watches for sale in the windows, but it'll be the stuff we saw couple years back at best, YM, AK, MG, DJ, DD etc
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:09 AM   #9
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Or they could make more watches...just a random idea.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:18 AM   #10
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
This is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Rolex sells every watch they make. They can't make enough watches to meet the demand.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:40 AM   #11
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
This is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Rolex sells every watch they make. They can't make enough watches to meet the demand.
IMO, Rolex is making exactly the number of watches they want to make. They already have massive brand recognition and appeal. Making more risks diminishing the panache associated with the brand.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:44 AM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Keeping the OF for only PM variants is the better option than offering for every model. The lightweight OF helps to balance out the heavy PM case which makes it suitable for daily wearing.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:09 AM   #13
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
IMO, Rolex is making exactly the number of watches they want to make. They already have massive brand recognition and appeal. Making more risks diminishing the panache associated with the brand.
I agree. I am not suggesting they should make more. I am just telling it like it is. They sell every watch they make. The demand is greater than the supply.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:41 AM   #14
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

I think the best thing Rolex could do to increase adoption of OF bracelet is to make each come with a Glidelock clasp like they did in the YM42 WG model. That will allow more sizes to fit without replacement.

I do like your idea of quick disconnect, which would also help, but then they would have to make multiple size OF bracelets available for sale.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:58 AM   #15
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I do not like the idea of designs on the OF.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote