The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2021, 09:29 AM   #1
ggpras
"TRF" Member

Newbie - looking for advice

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am looking to buy my first rolex. i live in seattle and have visited many of the local ADs and none of them have anything in stock. they wont even take an order right now.

i am going to be in Europe in January.

I am looking for advice on how best to buy one. Duty free? any particular country in Europe?

Any pointers are helpful..thanks in advance.
ggpras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Don't have any advice for you except to see about getting your VAT back if it is charged.

"Duty Free" doesn't mean that it is duty free for you. It means that you are buying it without any duty having already been added; you still have to pay when you bring it home.
Old 3 December 2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I had thought you paid VAT but at the airport you get that back? I don't know for sure though.

For OP, very difficult to find a Rolex at retail worldwide - worse comes to worse you can go secondary and pay the premium. My suggestion if that is your path forward, is a Trusted Seller here on the forum.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:15 AM   #4
sj24k
"TRF" Member

as you will quickly find out, buying a new rolex from an AD anywhere in the world as a first time buyer is exceedingly difficult right now. your choices are:
1. register your interest with as many ADs as possible and play the waiting game. but as you already stated, many won't even bother with you. others will start asking you to buy a lot of other jewelry or watches you don't want in order to somehow improve your position.
2. avoid all that nonsense, find a good trusted reseller and pay the market price for what you want. yes, the prices are currently nuts, but they're gonna stay that way for the foreseeable future, so if you can afford this route, it's the best route for sure. you can have any rolex you want tomorrow for a price. many out there can't, or just won't, do this. only you know what works for you.
3. buy an omega or a tudor or another brand that's easier to access from an AD
that's pretty much the state of the state these days.
good luck.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:40 AM   #5
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Uk has stopped VAT refunds if you get a refund elsewhere in Europe you will then have to import it into the states. Sorry but I don’t know what the taxes are there for you.

I think you will not have any luck here in Europe, every store never has any stock except for the odd ladies TT Datejust.

You might just get lucky with a mens datejust but it will be just that lucky I’m afraid same as worldwide.

Good luck though
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:42 AM   #6
ks58
Banned

Show genuine interest in the piece you want with your AD.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 11:14 AM   #7
tifamo
"TRF" Member

close friend was in Paris last few weeks and stores were empty just like the ones in the US. unfortunately you're also hitting holiday season, so any new inventory would be gobbled up by existing customers right away

try emailing the ADs before you go (imagining calling would be difficult) to save yourself some time. try more remote locations also (so avoid Rome, try Bologna for example)
tifamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 01:57 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I would look at 5 digit references (or earlier) with Rolex, the last of the true tool watch era. The new models really are simply an homage to their ancestors. The 4/5 digits were the watches being worn by people using those watches as tools and not simply for jewelry purposes as now. Thats what Rolex true legacy is anyway, and the further one gets from their true roots as tool watches, idk, less and less dna there for me and the less relevant.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 02:07 PM   #9
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
The last two times I’ve been in my boutique, I’ve specifically heard other SAs asking about location and if the prospective customer is local. I’d personally invest my energy at local ADs. I don’t think you’re going to find anything “hot” in any location inside or outside the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 December 2021, 02:25 PM   #10
mmfbmw
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info. I tried to create a relationship and bought a Tudor which I liked a lot. Did it work? I can’t tell as I am still waiting for the call. I called different ADs out of town but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I could not wait any longer and went secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
as you will quickly find out, buying a new rolex from an AD anywhere in the world as a first time buyer is exceedingly difficult right now. your choices are:
1. register your interest with as many ADs as possible and play the waiting game. but as you already stated, many won't even bother with you. others will start asking you to buy a lot of other jewelry or watches you don't want in order to somehow improve your position.
2. avoid all that nonsense, find a good trusted reseller and pay the market price for what you want. yes, the prices are currently nuts, but they're gonna stay that way for the foreseeable future, so if you can afford this route, it's the best route for sure. you can have any rolex you want tomorrow for a price. many out there can't, or just won't, do this. only you know what works for you.
good luck.
mmfbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 02:31 PM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I was in Germany a few weeks ago and visited a few ADs. They have "display only" models to look at/try, but nothing for sale (and I didn't expect them to have anything). I don't think you will find any ADs in Europe that keep hidden stock for people flying in from the other side of the world.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 02:40 PM   #12
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
You'll have to buy from a 'grey market' seller. A grey market seller is an independent (ie not affiliate with a Rolex AD) seller of new watches at quite a high markup over the retail list price.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 02:50 PM   #13
Jaypremium
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
good luck.

+1

Jaypremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 03:15 PM   #14
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
There are no shortcuts. It’s a long slog unless you want to buy from a grey in which case all it takes is more money than retail.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 03:19 PM   #15
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I would look at 5 digit references (or earlier) with Rolex, the last of the true tool watch era. The new models really are simply an homage to their ancestors. The 4/5 digits were the watches being worn by people using those watches as tools and not simply for jewelry purposes as now. Thats what Rolex true legacy is anyway, and the further one gets from their true roots as tool watches, idk, less and less dna there for me and the less relevant.
They all have their purpose but I do agree that 4 to 5 digit references are clean, classic and a lot of fun…
KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 03:49 PM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggpras View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am looking to buy my first rolex. i live in seattle and have visited many of the local ADs and none of them have anything in stock. they wont even take an order right now.

i am going to be in Europe in January.

I am looking for advice on how best to buy one. Duty free? any particular country in Europe?

Any pointers are helpful..thanks in advance.
My experience in France and Spain is that the Rolex boutique works with a pseudo tax refund agency who “handles” the refund. The numbers don’t work though. For instance this summer I enquired at 4 Rolex boutiques between Monaco and Saint Tropez. They all used the same entity and even had flyers they handed to tourists explaining how the system works. I said I don’t want their system because its a scam. There answer was, that it’s compulsory.

The tax on the Rolex (gold daydate) was 22% yet the refund was 16%. Their evident deal was to force the use of this entity for a cut of the difference.

I walked.
♛ 116689 ♛ 218206 Roman ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Bronzo 671 & 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 04:46 PM   #17
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Best tip?

Go find a trusted grey dealer. Net cost of acquiring a Rolex from a grey will be lower than buying one at retail from an AD since you will have to spend time, and a lot of money buying a bunch of watches or jewelry you don’t want to “establish a relationship.”
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:03 PM   #18
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
Direct from AD is more and more a mirage these days without history and strong relationship. You can get a decently nice older DJ for under $10k from a trusted seller. A five digit GMT or Sub will run under $15k. Go that route and see what sticks as you may find your tastes change and evolve over time.

Old 3 December 2021, 05:40 PM   #19
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Europe will have nothing for you. Unless you’re very wealthy, you’re just one of the endless tourists that enter the shop, asks for a model, and gets turned down.

Also, lists are currently closed in many places. Brussels, Geneva, Munich, I’ve traveled a bit and talk to the ADs. And it’s not because I ask for sports steel model. I seek a DD.

Maybe you will get lucky but anyhow with Omicron and the issues it creates in Switzerland, expect another wave of impact on stocks.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:41 PM   #20
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Stock situation probably worse in Europe than US.

Remember that the whole shortage situation started in the UK in 2016 with the Brexit vote and Sterling devaluation. It caused a surge of worldwide buyers coming to get a Rolex 'cheap'.

Easy money. You could sell them for a profit!

Then the Internet lit up - and the feeding frenzy spread round the world and nothings ever been the same since.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 07:24 PM   #21
Moony17
"TRF" Member

Perhaps Rolex boutiques at the airports? Im not sure which airports have them though
Moony17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 07:53 PM   #22
JC316
"TRF" Member

As many have already pointed out, it is absolutely the worst time to purchase a Rolex from an AD.

It is the best time to purchase one from a secondary seller if you are willing to pay way over retail.

I've read many posts from people living in Europe that their local ADs are restricting sales to locals only. Something to think about as you plan your trip.

My recommendation, look at other brands. If you must have a Rolex, you will have a better buying experience purchasing from a trusted reseller.

If you share which models you are interested in, we may be able to make some recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:16 PM   #23
JSol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks58 View Post
Show genuine interest in the piece you want with your AD.
This would be my advice as well. If you can find a person in the ADs you visit that can connect with at a personal level and drop in to talk watches on a regular basis you will have more luck.
This worked for me and I didn’t have to buy anything I didn’t want. Initially it took some time, but the relationship became genuine and I have been fortunate to get the pieces I’ve requested. Started the process in late 2019 so not too long, just patient.
Only other option is Trusted Seller…good luck!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:42 PM   #24
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:45 PM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
They all have their purpose but I do agree that 4 to 5 digit references are clean, classic and a lot of fun…

There largest advantage may be that one can easily source one!

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:11 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome. Use the search function here on TRF and you can find the current situation with purchases from AD's. We have some great Trusted Sellers here on TRF and many have their own web site for sales. Find the model you want, call a few up and discuss the watch. Negotiate, pay and have the watch the next day by lunch and begin the ownership experience.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:11 PM   #27
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Welcome! I don't know which country you will be visiting but if you pass by France it is less likely that you will find anything.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:38 PM   #28
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
OP, it really depends what you're after. For instance, are you a one watch person? And are you looking for a sportier design or something more classic? This conversation can go drastically different directions depending on what you want.

If you're a one and done guy, buy from a trusted seller. Many models can be had at around MSRP and you'll receive it almost immediately.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:09 AM   #29
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
The Rolex store in the departure lounges would be your best bet, you may strike it lucky and find a store that has something to sell.

Otherwise the stores in Europe are as barren as the Sahara desert.

Your best bet if you must pick up a watch on your travels would be anything other than Rolex.

Taxes - well thats between you and your government and how they deal with stuff bought outside of the country.

Good luck, let the forum know how you got on.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:23 AM   #30
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
1- look at Rolex’s website and pick out 1 to 3 references you want and be specific when noting the exact spec of each reference.

2- find the authorized Rolex dealer closest to where you’ll be living in Europe. Go there in person and explain your situation and give them the 1 to 3 ideas you are interested in.

3- prepare to wait 1+ years for one of your choices and just continue to learn more about watches and Rolex in the meantime.

4- stop by the authorized dealer in person not phone call every couple of months to check in and chat with them a little. No presents, don’t buy other jewelry.