The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
This is unfair, unjust, and just pain wrong!

Hello all,
What I am referring to is practice of Rolex to not only increase the price of it's new watches, which I mostly support, I mean my new Subbie Date has sels, a better presentation box (Much nicer!!) and because of this I think a price increase was justified. What I feel is TOTALLY not right, is for the watches unlucky to have not found an owner yet, just laying there and waiting. A watch while still new, but a year or more old. And with one price sticker change, as dictated from Rolex, their price is increased along with all the TRULY NEW WATCHES
True story example: My AD has had a Sea-Dweller for over a year sitting in his case, and for some strange reason, probably because of the missing cyclops look, or the fact that it weighs about 10 pounds. Anyway, the bottom line is it's an old/new watch, and when the price increase hits, it's going up too! That, I believe to be TOTALLY UNFAIR!
Hey ROLEX, how about having a year-end model price closeout, for the orphaned (any mid-size model, airkings, etc.) Then bring on the increase for the FRESH, NEW AND IMPROVED!

Off my soap box, and I wish you all a fantastic fall (my favorite time of the year!)
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I second everything you just said

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i feel the same way too..its like walking onto a car lot and buy last years model at this years prices, not only is the merchandise old, but you have to pay a price hike on it

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 03:06 PM   #4
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Well how about when gas stations raise their price because oil prices changed today? I mean, the gas is in the ground and already paid for, THAT gas is not changing in price, the new gas is. But alas we are really buying the gas not yet made, that is where the money goes.

And while it may be "unfair" to see a Rolex go up in price by 10%, I mean the very same watch you saw yesterday for $5,000 is now going to be $5,500, it is indeed the same watch as it was the day before yet the price went up, just like gas.

It works both ways. Have you ever looked at a digital camera and said you will buy it when the price drops? Then there is a sale or a price reduction as of the first of the month, and the camera you wanted is now 10% (or even 40%) less! Yet it is the same camera! No dealer says, "Oh yes, this camera is $1,000 but the price drop to $600 only affects the ones made after today." Then you will have two cameras side by side with different prices.

So we expect prices to drop immediate for gas, cameras, watches, GPS's, cars, printers, laptops, and anything else where we can benefit, but if the price is to increase, are you saying only then shall we change the rules and sell stock down to zero at the old price?

What an accounting nightmare that would be!

I see the glass as half full. We know there will be a price hike. So go get the watch you want! Put it on the store's 0% for 12 month plan or whatever they have to offer you. Take adantage of this opportunity.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Well how about when gas stations raise their price because oil prices changed today? I mean, the gas is in the ground and already paid for, THAT gas is not changing in price, the new gas is. But alas we are really buying the gas not yet made, that is where the money goes.

And while it may be "unfair" to see a Rolex go up in price by 10%, I mean the very same watch you saw yesterday for $5,000 is now going to be $5,500, it is indeed the same watch as it was the day before yet the price went up, just like gas.

It works both ways. Have you ever looked at a digital camera and said you will buy it when the price drops? Then there is a sale or a price reduction as of the first of the month, and the camera you wanted is now 10% (or even 40%) less! Yet it is the same camera! No dealer says, "Oh yes, this camera is $1,000 but the price drop to $600 only affects the ones made after today." Then you will have two cameras side by side with different prices.

So we expect prices to drop immediate for gas, cameras, watches, GPS's, cars, printers, laptops, and anything else where we can benefit, but if the price is to increase, are you saying only then shall we change the rules and sell stock down to zero at the old price?

I see the glass as half full. We know there will be a price hike. So go get the watch you want! Put it on the store's 0% for 12 month plan or whatever they have to offer you. Take adantage of this opportunity.
Excellent post, Robert!! As much as we don't always see things in our favour, all of what you said makes a lot of sense.

Yes, the pendulum does swing BOTH ways...and we have to accept the UPS with the DOWNS.

As you rightly pointed out, you can't have TWO IDENTICAL items with different prices. So you really can't have the old (?) SD sitting there with the old price and a new SD that's just come in, with the new price!! That would be silly and quite embarrassing to the shop owner.

Good post, Robert....appreciated!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Islander

At least we can see what we're getting and make a choice to take it or leave it - maybe there's even some customers who would prefer the old design for some reason? (Or not care less: most buyers (it is said) are not WIS).

At the very least it gives a tremendous lever with which to haggle for a good price. It's then up to us
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I agree
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:

The small problem with this analyis is that while gas and camera (and like products) prices will fluctuate, Rolex never has a "sale" price. Rolex prices only increase - has anyone ever known Rolex to decrease the price of new models (or new old models)? Not in our lifetimes have they.

Rolex will take action against dealers who discount. So you will never see a lower price at an AD. Oh, sure, some of them will finagle a bit, but not much and not as a general rule.

Unfortunately, we have got ourselves stuck on a luxury product that has a lot of cachet. And the manufacturer knows it and takes advantage of that fact.

Grin and bear it, folks.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 11:00 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Now Ed could not agree with you more,remember posting this a while back.Afraid Rolex especially the USA has Joe public to coin a phase by the short and curlies

Rolex Home Workers.

Found this article on the net,some time ago perhaps this explains getting rid of anchor,and the forthcoming price rise etc they might have to pay there home workers more wages.

To put the mentioned wages in perspective approximately, a teenager working at McDonald's will make around 18 francs (10.50 USD)The luxury watch manufacturer Rolex turns over billions every year but lets their home workers down. They do the finicky work of finishing watch parts, for 7 to 12 francs (4 to 7 USD) per hour.

By Rahel Stauber.

The ladies watch Datejust from Rolex - in 18 K white gold studded with diamonds - costs a proud 72,600 francs (59,000 USD), nothing for small wallets. But the luxury watch business is booming. Christmas sales were better than they'd been for a long time, certain models are sold out and the manufacturers are announcing that they urgently need additional manpower and are offering "wages better than ever before". Sandra K. doesn't notice anything of this, the single mother of two children in school age works as a home worker for Rolex in Bienne. Using a loupe, she has to file the edges of thumb-sized watch parts. A finicky work. Average hourly wage: 10 francs (5.9 USD).

When Sandra K. started working a half year ago, she was in good spirits because she knew her qualities. "I'm a quick worker, that's what they told me at all my other jobs". And she knows the trade too. For 20 years she's regularly been working for one, or the other watch company. To do her job for Rolex well, Sandra started by working 8 half days at Rolex in Bienne, for altogether 250 francs (200 USD). The meagre wage didn't bother her. But she wanted to know what she could earn in the future. "That's not important, all will be fine" the department head told her. And she believed him. After all, it wasn't some dubious company she was working for but Rolex - with estimated annual sales of 2.5 billion francs (1.47 billion USD) Switzerland's second largest watch manufacturer. According to the Swiss financial magazine "Bilanz", the co-owning family Borer is "easily in the mid-field of the 300 richest" in the country.

280 francs for 14 days of work
Sandra K.'s optimism quickly faded. Rolex, for example, pays 6 francs (3.5 USD) for the "rouage" of 100 pieces of Calibre 5030. At first, Sandra K. barely managed 50 pieces per hour. Her first pay statement looked accordingly: For two weeks of work, she received 280 francs (165 USD). "I was devastated, just couldn't believe it", Sandra K. says. A calculation error ? No. "The department head told me clearly that it was normal that home workers hardly made any money in the first year". Roughly 350 women work for Rolex under these conditions. Quitting isn't for Sandra. That's why she's diligently continuing to work, in the hope of becoming quicker. In the mean time, if she hurries, she can make between 7 and 12 francs an hour (4 to 7 USD). Still a pittance. And additional activities are required: She has to drive to Bienne every second day to pick up the parts - at her own cost.

Union wants to act
Why does such a noted company like Rolex let their home workers work in such miserable circumstances ? Franziska Borer-Winzenried, general directress of Rolex, Bienne wrote the "Beobachter" a dry note on ritzy paper with gold coinage: "Depending on pace and sensitivity, the monthly income can vary". Sure, could well be. But the law says something different. The employer must set a basic wage and a target time for the home worker - meaning an approximate time for the work. And: Home workers may not earn less than comparable employees working at the factory. In the case of Sandra K, this isn't true. What's even more offending is that - due to the fact that Sandra used to be unemployed and can't make ends meet with such a pay - she receives supplemental unemployment benefits. So Rolex is employing cheap labor at the expense of the state unemployment insurance. The union "SMUV" now wants to intervene. And general directress Borer-Winzenried writes that she will review the rates for home workers and "if required, adjust them appropriately". The requirement certainly seems to be here

Well said, but my sentiments was,think Madam Rolex is flouting the law in this case.And being a single mother she can only work from home,its the same old story worldwide, if these companies can get away with it they will.I know she does not have to do this job but for many single mothers this is all she can do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2006, 11:18 PM   #10
madformac
"TRF" Member

I don't think the business attitude of Rolex is particularly appealing to AD's. The tried and tested method in retail is when there is a price rise to clear through the old stock first. Stock rotation etc. Doesn't matter if its exactly the same model with a slightly different code. What Rolex should be doing is encouraging dealers to sell through excess and older stock with incentives.

The most obvious incentive is to not supply a dealer with a particular model until they have cleared through the old stock. The old stock should then be subject to promotion, be it a discount or even just no price rise until it is sold through. Another incentive is to supply AD's with sought after models like the 50th Sub or a larger quota of S/S Sub Dates per year if they sell through the old stock within a certain timeframe, this would encourage dealers to stay on the ball. Another option is to raise the price of the popular models only and this would encourage customers to look at other watches in the range.

The Rolex AD's mostly all have access to each others stock inventory and in my opinion Rolex should have a system to redistribute stock that is slow moving in one area to somewhere that the AD's have trouble getting that particular model. Even if it means collecting watches and redistributing to other countries. The Explorer II for instance is pretty slow moving in Western Europe and North America but is very popular in the Pacific Rim..

At the moment Rolex seem quite comfortable to keep raising prices in the knowledge that clients will keep paying. But with such a range of brands offering very good timepieces at prices lower than Rolex they shouldn't be surprised if they lose a few customers with each price rise.

I'm sure some AD's only now sell Rolex because of image and the fact they can only be taken seriously as a business if they are a Rolex AD. If it wasn't for that they would concentrate on other brands.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 02:30 AM   #11
frank bullit
Banned

Cheap Rolex anyone?

Hello friends,
Let's face it, if Rolexes were 'cheap' all the working class people would be able to afford them! For goodness sake can you imagine just 'anyone' being able to buy one?
What would we wear then?
How would we know who we were if we didn't have something expensive and
reasonably uncommon to flaunt, pretending all the while to be oblivious to it's
position as an object of unrivaled desire.
Why, we'd be just ordinary people with a cheap watch! Instead we all know we are VERY special, and that our friends love us even more because we've
'gottarolex'.
What IS that strange feeling we ALL get when someone's eyes flick down to our wrist and do the old 'it's one of them Rolexes' double take? Is it just pride or something more, perhaps a conceit we dare'nt admit?

Ooer! What AM I admiting?

FB.
frank bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 04:05 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
Hello friends,
Let's face it, if Rolexes were 'cheap' all the working class people would be able to afford them! For goodness sake can you imagine just 'anyone' being able to buy one?
What would we wear then?
How would we know who we were if we didn't have something expensive and
reasonably uncommon to flaunt, pretending all the while to be oblivious to it's
position as an object of unrivaled desire.
Why, we'd be just ordinary people with a cheap watch! Instead we all know we are VERY special, and that our friends love us even more because we've
'gottarolex'.
What IS that strange feeling we ALL get when someone's eyes flick down to our wrist and do the old 'it's one of them Rolexes' double take? Is it just pride or something more, perhaps a conceit we dare'nt admit?

Ooer! What AM I admiting?

FB.
Think you should read this post about ordinary working class people affording a Rolex, perhaps you might get quite a different outlook.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...391#post114391

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 03:35 PM   #13
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Think you should read this post about ordinary working class people affording a Rolex, perhaps you might get quite a different outlook.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...391#post114391
Think you might want to read my post carefully again. You might just see my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.
I consider my self working class, but no hero.
Love & kisses, FB.
Old 22 September 2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Frank, when we do make tongue-in-cheek posts, we usually indicate our intentions by using smilies. It'll help prevent misunderstandings in the future.
Old 22 September 2006, 10:49 PM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I don't believe it is "working class" related to have a Rolex, I think it is a matter of priorities. I can have a Leica, six Nikons, an American Express Platinum Card, a Rolex and a Porsche. Then my neighbor can have three kids. I think I got off cheaper!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 02:10 AM   #16
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Frank, when we do make tongue-in-cheek posts, we usually indicate our intentions by using smilies. It'll help prevent misunderstandings in the future.
Hello Mr Gedanken, Or, Do we call you 'Sir'?

I had heard that irony used as a form of humour usually escaped our only American cousins!
If you read my note I would be suprised if anyone failed to recognise my swipe at the snobbery and elitism that we all come across and, perhaps even in a weak moment participate in.
I am honest enough to say how proud and lucky I am to wear that prestigious crown on my wrist, perhaps too proud sometimes. It's just a bloomin' watch after all.

As for insinuating that I might be disrespectful to any human being that felt strongly enough to lay down their life in defence of freedom and all that they hold dear, Well.... I'm almost lost for words.
Almost.
Suffice it to say that my Mother lost her two younger brothers during WWll, one of whom would, DEFINATELY NOT have considered himself working class. He grew up in a different time and place and was a product of Sandhurst, was Professional Soldier an Officer and by all accounts a Gentleman. He was killed by a japanese 'Officer' in Changi Gaol.
My other Uncle, if he was alive today would proudly wear a white beret as he marched down Whitehall on the 11th hour, of the 11th day of November. He was torpedoed in September 1943 off Bear Island, North Atlantic. His newly born twin daughters never got to meet their Dad.

I didn't get to meet my Uncles, but I miss them just the same, young men, heroic young men from another world, but, I probably wouldn't be here if they, and all their comrades around the free world hadn't forsaken their future and won us the right to speak freely.

We don't know if either of them owned a fancy watch.

Would they be proud of us?
I hope so, and so, I hope you'll forgive me if I speak up for myself and for them.
I'm fairly sure that any of these brave folk would be highly embarrassed
if they thought their sacrifice was being spoken off in this kind of 'forum'.
Perhaps they would be proud that we can. Who knows?...

Lost for words, never!

FB.

Last edited by frank bullit; 23 September 2006 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: spelling mislake
Old 23 September 2006, 02:15 AM   #17
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe it is "working class" related to have a Rolex, I think it is a matter of priorities. I can have a Leica, six Nikons, an American Express Platinum Card, a Rolex and a Porsche. Then my neighbor can have three kids. I think I got off cheaper!
With the greatest respect, I think you've missed the point here chum.
FB.

Last edited by frank bullit; 23 September 2006 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: finger trouble
Old 23 September 2006, 01:53 PM   #18
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
Hello Mr Gedanken, Or, Do we call you 'Sir'?

I had heard that irony used as a form of humour usually escaped our only American cousins!
If you read my note I would be suprised if anyone failed to recognise my swipe at the snobbery and elitism that we all come across and, perhaps even in a weak moment participate in.
I am honest enough to say how proud and lucky I am to wear that prestigious crown on my wrist, perhaps too proud sometimes. It's just a bloomin' watch after all.

As for insinuating that I might be disrespectful to any human being that felt strongly enough to lay down their life in defence of freedom and all that they hold dear, Well.... I'm almost lost for words.
Almost.
Suffice it to say that my Mother lost her two younger brothers during WWll, one of whom would, DEFINATELY NOT have considered himself working class. He grew up in a different time and place and was a product of Sandhurst, was Professional Soldier an Officer and by all accounts a Gentleman. He was killed by a japanese 'Officer' in Changi Gaol.
My other Uncle, if he was alive today would proudly wear a white beret as he marched down Whitehall on the 11th hour, of the 11th day of November. He was torpedoed in September 1943 off Bear Island, North Atlantic. His newly born twin daughters never got to meet their Dad.

I didn't get to meet my Uncles, but I miss them just the same, young men, heroic young men from another world, but, I probably wouldn't be here if they, and all their comrades around the free world hadn't forsaken their future and won us the right to speak freely.

We don't know if either of them owned a fancy watch.

Would they be proud of us?
I hope so, and so, I hope you'll forgive me if I speak up for myself and for them.
I'm fairly sure that any of these brave folk would be highly embarrassed
if they thought their sacrifice was being spoken off in this kind of 'forum'.
Perhaps they would be proud that we can. Who knows?...

Lost for words, never!

FB.
Ehh, Frank, as you have yourself experienced with infoe, misunderstandings do happen. If we don't make our intentions clear, then there's always the likelihood that things will be misinterpreted, eh? Anyway, no dramas - I think you've cleared everything up with this post!

Peter's not American, by the way - he's Welsh.

And it's neither Mr nor sir - it's just James. I reserve "Doctor" for people I don't like!
Old 23 September 2006, 05:35 PM   #19
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Ehh, Frank, as you have yourself experienced with infoe, misunderstandings do happen. If we don't make our intentions clear, then there's always the likelihood that things will be misinterpreted, eh? Anyway, no dramas - I think you've cleared everything up with this post!

You,re dead right! Infoe and I made the proper apologies and are now best friends and plan to swap Christmas cards and everything!

Peter's not American, by the way - he's Welsh.
I never said he WAS!

And it's neither Mr nor sir - it's just James. I reserve "Doctor" for people I don't like!
If, Doctor you are poised over me with a scalpel or worse a cold thermometer,I reserve
the right to call you Sir, if that's OK.

Love and kisses, FB.

Ps. My eldest 'child' is often addressed as 'Sir' by happy clients after she has safely landed her 737. She does'nt mind, she knows what they mean!
Old 23 September 2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Nah, Frank, I mess with people's heads, not their kidneys.

Speaking as an ex-paratrooper, any pinot who can get me back on the ground safely deserves to be called Sir, gender irregardless!
Old 23 September 2006, 11:39 PM   #21
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Nah, Frank, I mess with people's heads, not their kidneys.

Speaking as an ex-paratrooper, any pinot who can get me back on the ground safely deserves to be called Sir, gender irregardless!
As a Para' are you supposed to arrive back at base with the Pilot?!
Don't you remember; Red Light-Green Light ...GO GO !
James!.. I said JAMES!! You're not supposed to be here! GO!

Cheers James, I always enjoy your 'stuff'.

Frank.
Old 24 September 2006, 02:13 PM   #22
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Nah, Frank, I was much happier getting myself back on the ground, but these days, being a civilian and all, it seems I've got to strap in and be a helpless passenger once we start descent.

Anyway, the complete drill is:

Two minutes - stand up!
Hook up!
Check static line!
Check equipment! (Helmet, Capewell, life jacket, chest strap, reserve snap, ripcord, leg strap, pack tie, static line clear and hooked up!)
Sound off for equipment check! (Twelve OK, eleven OK ... one OK, stick OK!)
Red on - stand in the door!
Green on - GO!
(One thousand, two thousand, three thousand ... CHECK! Over left, over right, under left, under right, in between ... good para position!).

Then you just wait for the thump.

I remember when we had a company happy hour at this swimming pool with a six-storey water slide. After a couple of drinks, the CSM got it in his head that it was a good time for an Airborne refresher, so all seventy of us lined up on the slide and did a dispatch. The lifeguard got his panties in a knot, started screaming something about one person being on the slide at a time and threw us all out.
Old 26 September 2006, 01:18 AM   #23
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Nah, Frank, I was much happier getting myself back on the ground, but these days, being a civilian and all, it seems I've got to strap in and be a helpless passenger once we start descent.

Anyway, the complete drill is:

Two minutes - stand up!
Hook up!
Check static line!
Check equipment! (Helmet, Capewell, life jacket, chest strap, reserve snap, ripcord, leg strap, pack tie, static line clear and hooked up!)
Sound off for equipment check! (Twelve OK, eleven OK ... one OK, stick OK!)
Red on - stand in the door!
Green on - GO!
(One thousand, two thousand, three thousand ... CHECK! Over left, over right, under left, under right, in between ... good para position!).

Then you just wait for the thump.

I remember when we had a company happy hour at this swimming pool with a six-storey water slide. After a couple of drinks, the CSM got it in his head that it was a good time for an Airborne refresher, so all seventy of us lined up on the slide and did a dispatch. The lifeguard got his panties in a knot, started screaming something about one person being on the slide at a time and threw us all out.
A lone lifeguard threw 70 Aussie Para's out!!
WOW! You should have signed him up!!
FB.
Old 26 September 2006, 10:48 AM   #24
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Well, they were Singaporean Paras, and the truth of the matter is that we ran out of grog, went out looking for some and they locked the gates on us.