The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2006, 01:02 AM   #1
mybluehemi
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / Loaner Sub
Icon1 New Guy First Rolex Dilema

Let me first compliment all of you fine Rolex people on a great forum, everyone seems to be super laid back and very knowledgable. I come from a family in which every man on my father's side owns a Rolex, every man except myself. I've waited 29 years for a hand me down, or maybe even a hand out, and thankfully I haven't been holding my breath. To make a long story short, the Rolex has become almost a rite of passage for the men in my family. You finish school, hold a steady job, maybe buy your first house and if it's still smooth sailing obtain your first Rolex. For the past two months I have been visiting dealers, speaking with my family and scouring the internet for Rolex information, so I can make my first purchase educated. So I guess my dilema is that I can't decide which Rolex I want to buy, I have been known to make impulse purchases (my friends have even taken to calling me Mr. Imulse Buy), and I would love for this to not be another one. From my hunting around these are the watches I've been intimate with and my feelings on each:
#1. SS Submariner: I've always loved the watch it's durable (I need my Rolex to handle my lifestyle so I've only been dating sports models), and timeless. my only problem is that I see so many of them.
#2. LV Submariner: Classic styling and the green beisel really pops, will I still love the green twenty years from now?
#3. SS GMT II : Great watch, won't ever use the 24 hr hand but so what anyway. Love the Pepsi look but still see a lot around town. It did look great on my wrist though.
#4. Sea Dweller : Classic styling and I don't know anyone that owns one. The only problem is that I can't find one to try on. Do dealers not stock many of these? I live in Florida, lots of water, lots of divers, no Sea Dwellers?
#5. Platnum SS YM: Sexy watch but pricey, my GF's favorite on me, not sure about the platnum holding up at work.
Sorry it's so long but thats my list so far, any advice from owners would be greatly appreciated.
mybluehemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 01:16 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
First Damian welcome to TRF looks like you have a few models lined up,myself prefer the SD not a huge fan of the cyclops.But do try a few of the range before you decide what to buy.But the choice of watch is still down to you,and with just a little bit of care, your choice Rolex will last a lifetime.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 01:34 AM   #3
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Welcome to TRF from another Floridian, Damian!

Where in Florida do you live? I'm in St. Augustine, the founder of TRF, Mark, lives in the Jacksonville area, Jeff (colemanitis) lives in the Panhandle, there is another member in the Tampa area... We really need to have a Florida TRF meeting sometime!

Your choice for a Rolex purchase should be based upon what appeals to you most. I can assure you that it will merely be the FIRST Rolex you purchase. I have three, but my first was a Steel & Gold Datejust with champagne dial. I bought it first because it was my idea of the quintessential Rolex. I had always seen adverts for them, and seen them on the wrists of people I admired. I told myself as a kid that one day I would own one. It took me over 40 years to do it, but once I had it, I started looking at other Rolex watches. My next purchase was a Steel & Gold Daytona with champagne dial, and then finally a Steel & Gold (see a pattern here?) Blue Sub Date.

I still would like to own a Root Beer GMT and/or a Bark Day-Date, but that will probably happen only if the planets are aligned in a certain way.

Cheers, and best of luck in your search for the right Rolex for you!
Old 25 September 2006, 01:55 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Hi Damian,
Let me also extend a very warm welcome!!
Sounds like you do have some definite ideas about what you're looking for in a watch.
The purchase of a first Rolex is a special event and one that if done wisely will provide a lifetime of enjoyment.
As always, a watch is such a subjective thing, the one that "speaks" the loudest is usually the one for you.

A couple things you posted caught my attention. If you have no use for a second timezone feature perhaps the GMT (my favorite) may not be the best choice.
Secondly, with an active lifestyle( I take this to mean exposing the watch to bumps and bruses associated with that life style) the YM, although a great piece may tend to "show" a bit more wear.

That brings us to the Sub and it's variations. True, one does tend to see a few subs out there, but so what? It's such an iconic piece and the one most associated with Rolex sports models.

The SD is a great watch and certainly has a cult like following. Like you, I see much fewer SDs than Subs, and if you like the extra weight and the more utilitarian appearence of the SD then it's a great choice.

The Sub is truly a go anywhere do anything piece. Equally at home at play or in a more formal setting.
The LV is a fantastic piece! My personal favorite of the Sub family. The Maxi-Dial is very readable in less than ideal conditions and the increased serface area of the markers give it by far the best luminosity of the sports family rivaled only by the YM.
The green bezel sets it apart from the rest of the Sub line, but only you can decide if it will "stay" with you.
Here's a few photos of my watches that may help. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.

Sub Date

Sea Dweller

Together

The LV

Glow!!

Side by side--notice the difference in the markers
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF You have a nice line-up of prospects there. More importantly, I see you've put a lot of thought into them. Ultimately, you'll have to select the one that smiles at YOU the most. I can offer this though, I'm on my seventh Rolex now and it's finally a SS Sub date. I didn't get one before for the very same reasons you mentioned, everybody has one. In my opinion, it's not only the classic Rolex, but the classic tool/dive watch as well. When I tried it on a few months ago, I knew it was the one for me. I'm just sorry I didn't get the Sub first. If I had, I'd still be on number one instead of seven
Old 25 September 2006, 02:05 AM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I guess I am the "other" member in the Tampa area... yes we need to get together. I wanted to go to St. Augustin too!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:17 AM   #7
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Damian and welcome to TRF.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:19 AM   #8
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Go for the sub, IMHO is is the best watch. I have 6 rolexes and if I could only keep one the SS sub would be it. Is not really a dress watch but you can get by with it. And for everything else it is perfect.

If you won't use a 2nd timezone hand, then to me it clutters the dial. The SD is nice but for what I woud use it for, it is just overkill.

If you want a timeless classic as far as Rolex goes, the top three would be

1. TT DJ, fluted bezel, jubillee band, stick marker
2. SS sub
3. Exp I

If you look at the evolution of these three watches, it just shows how little the styling has really changed. Timeless.

But as my dealer said to me once, you really can't go wrong with almost any Rolex.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:19 AM   #9
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Oh and forgot.

Welcome!
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:24 AM   #10
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Tallahassee, FL here.
I love my SS Sub Date. I loved it so much that my mother and I got my father one (TT Blue) for a retirement gift. He loves his.
The watch can be both casual and dressy, and it is amazingly durable. It's also very cool because I can dive with it, shower, or go to a black-tie event without even thinking twice about it. Plus it's comfortable.
However, I find the GMT and SD to be very enticing watches as well.
Good luck with a purchase, but I think if you stay in the professional line, you will not be sorry with whatever purchase decision you make.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:34 AM   #11
Toyigloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Hello,
I am also in Florida, St Petersburg. I currently am wearing a GMT II. I will be getting a new sud no-date this coming week. As far a everyday wear and tear, I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Toyigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 02:37 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I guess I am the "other" member in the Tampa area... yes we need to get together. I wanted to go to St. Augustin too!
Listen, you are just ONE of the members from Tampa. Here is a list of those members who have "indicated" in their profiles that they are from somewhere in Florida. There may be a whole lot more! Looks like it could be a convention, and not just a meeting.

Rev - Jacksonville
Prince - St. Augustine
advocatia - South Florida
alexibar - Vero Beach
alwaysonahustle - Tampa
astcell - Tampa
Cartex - Florida
Chris FL - Florida
colemanitis - Florida Panhandle
diablojota - Tallahassee
dohonganh - Florida
Doombot! - Lakeland
Dxomas - Tampa
flpoodle - Ft. Lauderdale-Naples
goldgalorejewelers - Hudson
infoe - Miami
j.acosta - Miami
kaug23 - Orlando
ken74 - Florida
LeoGSVT - Jacksonville
meenkya - Ft. Lauderdale
MiamiRolex - Miami (where else)
Motors1841 - Miami
mybluehemi - Florida
newtamparealestate - Tampa
ohsixx - Florida
pepipeps - Miami
perdicea - Orlando
poptop - Pensacola
red98ss801 - Florida
Rto - "Sunny" Florida
serg - Florida
shawnfb - Florida
sonrisa - Florida
staplegun - Florida
subenvy - Florida
Submarinoober - Florida
time2watch - Florida
Toyigloo - St. Petersburg
trickyric - Florida
ufgator9899 - Orlando
watchfanatic - Florida
yayi - Florida
Old 25 September 2006, 02:58 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Holy cow that's a lot! So, is FL the most popular state for folks on this board? Is there something to be said about FL, or are there a higher percentage of retirees here?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 03:02 AM   #14
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Holy cow that's a lot! So, is FL the most popular state for folks on this board? Is there something to be said about FL, or are there a higher percentage of retirees here?
Who knows?

There are a lot of people from other areas as well - lots from Canada, from Australia, NZ, etc. There could well be localized group get-togethers all over the world!!!
Old 25 September 2006, 03:21 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Damian,

A big welcome to TRF. Looks like you've already received a resounding welcome from the guys.

Your choice of Rollies is excellent. Now it's just a matter of personal choice and taste. While the SS/Pt. YM is a superb watch, the dial and bezel are all Platinum. If you're going to "rough house" the watch, you'd be looking at mega bucks to replace that bezel.

On the other hand, the SS Sub-date would be the ideal choice (since you say you won't be needing the 24-hour hand on the GMT-II). The Sub has the larger TRIPLOCK crown and just the basic date complication. Great all round watch and, in my opinion, the ULTIMATE muscleman out there!!

Your call, pal. Good luck and enjoy yourself on this forum.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 03:34 AM   #16
mybluehemi
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / Loaner Sub
Wow, what a huge response from everyone! I was only gone long enough to wash the car. Let me thank everyone for the great replies. It's unbelievable how many Floridians we have here, by chance are there any Gators out there?

I still need to to a minute to go back through all the posts, I just wanted to respond to the huge turn out on my first post. This place is A Ok.
mybluehemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 03:51 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluehemi View Post
Wow, what a huge response from everyone! I was only gone long enough to wash the car. Let me thank everyone for the great replies. It's unbelievable how many Floridians we have here, by chance are there any Gators out there?

I still need to to a minute to go back through all the posts, I just wanted to respond to the huge turn out on my first post. This place is A Ok.
Well, Damian....with so many of these useless tossers around, we are hard pressed to find good members. So when we do, we try desperately to hang on to him!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 September 2006, 04:12 AM   #18
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
welcome damien,

you have sooo many choices to make and none of them will be the wrong one. whether you go with a ss sub, seadweller, gmt or an lv sub. they are all superb watches and i highly doubt you will be sick of any of them in 25 years. thats the beauty of rolex!

mike

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 04:30 AM   #19
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
...with so many of these useless tossers around...
I resemble that remark!

Come to think of it, so do you!!!
Old 25 September 2006, 04:32 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
I resemble that remark!

Come to think of it, so do you!!!

Old 25 September 2006, 09:33 AM   #21
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF Damian. Seeing how you're undecided the best advice is to buy the one that smiles at you the most. You can't go wrong with any of the ones you have listed. The SS/Plat YM is more of a dress watch IMO and will show thew knocks more than the others. For me, it was love at first sight.

Old 25 September 2006, 09:46 AM   #22
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, Damian....with so many of these useless tossers around, we are hard pressed to find good members. So when we do, we try desperately to hang on to him!!!
Ladies and gentlemen. I give you Exhibit A in the "Pot Calling The Kettle Black" category.

The most Useless Tosser on TRF, and we've been trying desparately to get rid of him for years (unsucessfully so far, as you can see, Damien).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2006, 09:49 AM   #23
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Ladies and gentlemen. I give you Exhibit A in the "Pot Calling The Kettle Black" category...
Oh Lord! Ain't it the truth!!! I can't tell you how many times I have used that very term to exemplify his comments.
Old 25 September 2006, 09:56 AM   #24
Rockrolex

Let me add my welcome to TRF, Damien. As you can see from the hijacking that has started, we are quite an irreverent bunch here. But in between the jibes and jokes, you can ferret out some valuable information. So do stick around and join the fun. It can be a laugh a minute at times.

As for your watch choice, you've gotten a lot of good advice. The best being, try as many on as you can. Because one of them that you try on will smile at you more than the others. That's the one to get for your first Rolex.

As for my own 2 cents, if you don't want the GMT (far and away my personal favorite - I happen to think that the red 4th hand gives it a subtley distinctive look), then consider the SS Sub Date. You can very easily dress it up or down. It goes equally well with jeans and black tie. And it is the iconic Rolex.

The LV Sub has a limitation. The green bezel is going to limit you when you try to dress it up. Yes, the maxi dial is nice, but IMO, it is outweighed by the green bezel.

The YM is also a beautiful watch, but as JJ said, it may be expensive to repair, if you are the type that may give it a beating.

The SD is overkill, IMO. Who needs a watch that is dive tested to 3000 ft. Are you going to free dive to that depth - guaranteed you'll only do it once. And the lack of cyclops makes the date window look very wimpy.

Bottom line. You must look at all your choices in person and test wear them before deciding on the right one.

But keep us posted on your search and definitely let us know the outcome.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 25 September 2006, 09:59 AM   #25
mailman

Quote:
Oh Lord! Ain't it the truth!!! I can't tell you how many times I have used that very term to exemplify his comments.
We don't care.
Old 25 September 2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
We don't care.
Speak for yourself, numnuts. Some of us care very much what our Supreme Commander has to say.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 25 September 2006, 10:04 AM   #27
mailman

Quote:
Speak for yourself, numnuts. Some of us care very much what our Supreme Commander has to say.
Another brown noser. Tell me Ed, how far is your nose up here
Old 25 September 2006, 10:04 AM   #28
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, Ed. Thank you very much! Rowdy hooligans!!!
Old 25 September 2006, 10:06 AM   #29
mailman

Quote:
Thank you, Ed. Thank you very much! Rowdy hooligans!!!
Stifle it princess.
Old 25 September 2006, 07:10 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Oh Lord, please show me ONE thread that hasn't been hijacked by these tossers!!