The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Matt L
"TRF" Member

Dials - how tell "Rolex Special Order" from "Custom"

Yesterday I bought a pre-owned ladies DateJust from a local AD as an anniversary gift, however I've not yet taken delivery (wife was nearby and I was speed-shopping). The watch is two-tone with Oyster band and has a uncommon dial with a beige M.O.P. center, surrounded by a gold-tone ring with Roman numerals. After leaving the store, I spent a couple hours on the net looking to confirm I got a good watch at a fair price but, although I've looked at hundreds of DJ pics, haven't seen anything like the dial face on the watch I purchased.

I like the idea that a pre-owned Rolex can hold its value and I don’t want to end up with a watch that has a “custom” dial and a correspondingly lower value, or even a watch that is unusual and that I can’t easily substantiate as 100% authentic. My AD swears to me that this was a "special order" watch that is factory stock from Rolex, however he also tells me that there is no publicly available catalog of these special order dials for me to confirm it as a Rolex offering. He says it is still a “current production, special order dial” and that he will let me see his non-public ordering book, but that he can’t / won’t give me a copy of the dial’s spec sheet to hold as part of my documentation of authenticity (Rolex trade secrets or some such excuse). The AD is one of the largest in the country, I don’t want to insult them with my mistrust, but I’m also a little uncomfortable with the story.

I want to have full documentation of this “special order” dial so that if we choose to sell the watch at some future date, a future buyer won’t have these same worries and value the watch for less than its worth. I know that I could send this watch to Rolex for authentication but that would take weeks and cost a couple hundred bucks. With my anniversary date fast approaching, I need to take delivery on this deal or cancel and keep looking for something else. Anyone have any info as to how I can obtain a catalogue of the special order faces Rolex offers for ladies DJ? If I could just look at the current special order options, I know I could pick out the one in question and purchase in confidence if it is real. If a catalogue truly not available, anyone have experience with buying / selling watches with “special order” factory dials? Does the lack of public awareness / information help or hurt valuation and liquidity?
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

First, let me welcome you to TRF, Matt and congratulate you on a wonderful gift I, personally, am not familiar with the dial you have described. But, if the AD you mention is a Rolex AD I couldn't imagine the dial being anything but genuine
Old 26 September 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Matt, I don't know if this helps, but here's the Ladies DJ dials I'm aware of

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Matt L
"TRF" Member

Mike, you rock! It's a "Champ. m.o.p. roman decorated".

I feel much better now, thanks for posting this so fast. It makes me wonder why I wan't able to get the same from Rolex USA in NY, NY. They claim they have no pics to share yet clearly the info is out there. As soon as I knew exactly what to seach for, I was able to locate an example online (see pic I "borrowed" from an online reseller). Thanks again and kudos to this group for out performing an AD and Rolex NY in no-time-flat!
Old 26 September 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Mike, you rock! It's a "Champ. m.o.p. roman decorated".

I feel much better now, thanks for posting this so fast. It makes me wonder why I wan't able to get the same from Rolex USA in NY, NY. They claim they have no pics to share yet clearly the info is out there. As soon as I knew exactly what to seach for, I was able to locate an example online (see pic I "borrowed" from an online reseller). Thanks again and kudos to this group for out performing an AD and Rolex NY in no-time-flat!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 05:12 PM   #6
amanda
Banned

Wow magnificent dial Matt, you are going to be very popular indeed!!!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 05:23 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Matt,

A big welcome to TRF. Would really appreciate some pics of the watch. That would be a big help.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 11:45 PM   #8
Matt L
"TRF" Member

I'm scheduled to pickup the watch tomorrow, I'll post a pic for comparison to those I posted earlier, which I "borrowed" from an e-tailer.
Old 27 September 2006, 02:41 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Matt. Glad you got that little issue cleared away. Now you can present that beautiful anniversary gift with complete confidence.

Stick around and join the fun here. And we love pics of members watches.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 03:53 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Welcome to TRF, Matt. Glad you got that little issue cleared away. Now you can present that beautiful anniversary gift with complete confidence.

Stick around and join the fun here. And we love pics of members watches.
Don't you now? Especially mine!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 11:01 AM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Don't you now? Especially mine!!
Do you mean something orange?
Old 27 September 2006, 11:36 AM   #12
tuscanyrose
"TRF" Member

Watch: X serial 16233
dial is right...

Hi,
It is called the "myriad" dial. Cannot tell you why, but it is available in a mens President version. I have a buddy , AAKVIPER who has one in a double quick. I am sure it came in a ladies version...really nice dial. You will not get hurt. I will try and find it in my reference books...

Best regards,
John
TUSCANYROSE
coda1210@aol.com
732 786 9075
tuscanyrose is offline   Reply With Quote