The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Ahhhh the fever

The Rolex fever alive and strong.

All this talk of a price increase just got my juices flowing. Craving, longing, yearing for something new.

The anticipation, the thrill, the excitement of another new watch.

I feel like a kid again. Now I’m not saying I have bought a watch (yet), but I am sure you guys know all too well that when you get the itch, you just need to scratch it.

Rolex, it is just a watch. I would sell them all in a heartbeat and not think twice if my family needed money. But also I am just so happy that I found a hobby that brings me so much pleasure. Could be borderline obsession, but hey isn’t that what passion is?

I just can’t explain it. I like other watches and have toyed with getting other brands; UN, Cartier, AP and Zenith. But in the end when it comes time to pony up the money, it just feels right to buy a Rolex. Hard to explain but it just is.

Can anyone else relate to anything I have said in this post?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 04:45 PM   #2
amanda
Banned

I definitely understand what you are saying, ever since I have gotten this close to getting a Rolex I just cant stop thinking about it! Even woke up in the early hours of the morning today... thinking about the watch! A few things have turned around for me lately, the Tudor is sold and all is looking well, so at this stage I can finally fit the rolex in.

BUT - if in a years time or more, I need cash for anything in particular then I'd sell the watch, it is just a watch afterall..... a roof over your head and food on the table outweighs the desire for any material possession for sure! But I'd also say the sale of the watch would come behind other toys I have... like I could do without my Golf GTI for instance... that is really a luxury item for me! hey I walk to and from work everyday!

I think as far as material luxury items go, a Rolex does hold its value exceptionally well... compare say a $5000AU Plasma Screen 3 years ago, now worth hardly anything! Give me the watch thanks and I'll wear it forever....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 05:26 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
The Rolex fever alive and strong.

All this talk of a price increase just got my juices flowing. Craving, longing, yearing for something new.

The anticipation, the thrill, the excitement of another new watch.

I feel like a kid again. Now I’m not saying I have bought a watch (yet), but I am sure you guys know all too well that when you get the itch, you just need to scratch it.

Rolex, it is just a watch. I would sell them all in a heartbeat and not think twice if my family needed money. But also I am just so happy that I found a hobby that brings me so much pleasure. Could be borderline obsession, but hey isn’t that what passion is?

I just can’t explain it. I like other watches and have toyed with getting other brands; UN, Cartier, AP and Zenith. But in the end when it comes time to pony up the money, it just feels right to buy a Rolex. Hard to explain but it just is.

I can relate with ONE thing....I love ROLEX from the very bottom of my heart. I admire, respect and appreciate most other brands out there....but I must have a Rolex ONLY on my wrist at all times. There's something about this brand that drives me wild, Mark....just can't put a finger on it!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I can relate with ONE thing....I love ROLEX from the very bottom of my heart. I admire, respect and appreciate most other brands out there....but I must have a Rolex ONLY on my wrist at all times. There's something about this brand that drives me wild, Mark....just can't put a finger on it!!
I feel the same, in that I have no interest in putting anything else on my wrist. Only Rolex for me.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
AJC

Hi Mark,

Your point of view just about mirrors mine.Love the "hobby " but if the family needed anything I would convert it into charlie ash (cash) in a heart beat.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
That's because you've got your finger stuck somewhere else, BKL.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I think as far as material luxury items go, a Rolex does hold its value exceptionally well... compare say a $5000AU Plasma Screen 3 years ago, now worth hardly anything! Give me the watch thanks and I'll wear it forever....

EXACTLY!!!
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 12:54 AM   #8
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Old 27 September 2006, 01:46 AM   #9
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
when i got my gmt II from my dad as a b-day gift/grad gift, i thought it was just a watch, then i started to research it more and more and i find myself obsesed with these watches.....when you walk around the mall do you ever look at other peoples wrists to see if they are wearing a rollie ? well i have the rolex forums to thank for that!

thanks guys jeez!!!!! j/k

mike

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 03:43 AM   #10
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
I try to look at things differently. I have found that if I look at my toys as an emergency fund I will sell them off too quickly. My guns and my watches are NOT an emergency fund. Selling that stuff will be my last recourse.

When I was in college my wife and I hit some very hard times, we sold some sentimental jewelry and regret it to this day. I'm trying to replace of her stuff to this day.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 03:45 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Your top spot is quite safe for now, Ed!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 27 September 2006, 04:09 AM   #12
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I can relate completely, just not with the Rolex brand.
Old 27 September 2006, 11:08 AM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
.....when you walk around the mall do you ever look at other peoples wrists to see if they are wearing a rollie ? well i have the rolex forums to thank for that!

thanks guys jeez!!!!! j/k

mike
All the time Mike
Old 27 September 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
All the time Mike

hahah i notice people always checking out my watches too, its funny cause you walk by them at a mall and you notice thier eyes honning in on your watch, following it as swings up and down. what a great feeling to know that its 100% authentic! we are all lucky to have the luxuries of a fine rolex.

Old 27 September 2006, 12:06 PM   #15
Rodentman
Banned

Some of my co-workers have gone to our new plant in China and brought back fakes. Everything from Lange, Rolex, PP, Omega, you name it. They proudly show them to me.

One guy showed me his fake Lange which is so obvious it's pathetic. He was proud that it was only $20. I tried to be kind and say that the strap was probably worth $20. Then he showed me that the keeper had broken, but he wears it that way.

He said his fake PP crapped out and he wanted to know where to have it fixed. I told him to throw it out. He said he'd take it back next time he went to China and they'd give him another one. I said why bother?

I showed him my SD, told him what I paid for it and added it was worth every penny and that my grandkids would probably end up wearing it someday. Gawd I hate those fakes and the fake people who buy them.

The fake SS sub with the blue bezel and dial was a great laugh.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 12:15 PM   #16
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
Some of my co-workers have gone to our new plant in China and brought back fakes. Everything from Lange, Rolex, PP, Omega, you name it. They proudly show them to me.

One guy showed me his fake Lange which is so obvious it's pathetic. He was proud that it was only $20. I tried to be kind and say that the strap was probably worth $20. Then he showed me that the keeper had broken, but he wears it that way.

He said his fake PP crapped out and he wanted to know where to have it fixed. I told him to throw it out. He said he'd take it back next time he went to China and they'd give him another one. I said why bother?

I showed him my SD, told him what I paid for it and added it was worth every penny and that my grandkids would probably end up wearing it someday. Gawd I hate those fakes and the fake people who buy them.

The fake SS sub with the blue bezel and dial was a great laugh.

imo, if you wear a fake watch or a fake purse or fake designer jeans...then you dont respect yourself. we only live life once, why not live it to the fullest! (sorry im ranting, those damn fakes got me all rialed up!)

Old 27 September 2006, 12:59 PM   #17
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Amen!!!!!
ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 01:05 PM   #18
wonghonchung

I try not to be materialistic, I don't care for deisgner clothes really, and I don't want watches for "status", I just get them for appreciation of fine art. IMO, as I said in another thread, that buying a fake watch is absolutely pathetic, and an expression of the person's values, having to pretend to be something that you aren't. If you can't afford the real thing, then just get something in your price range.

I'm sorry for going off on tangents, and I may sound conceited, but when I hear of people thinking they got a "bargain" on buying fake watches, or they think that the owners of the real thing are "stupid" for spending that much money on a watch, really makes my blood boil. Sure, you may not think that spending upwards of $100 on a watch is normal behaviour, but buying a fake is just a pethetic attempt to fool people into thinking you have the real thing, all they do is fool themselves.

End of rant.
wonghonchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 01:33 PM   #19
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I used to work with Medicare. I do NOT want to be 65, on my deathbed with $4M in the bank! When I am about to go I want to have loose change only! I am going to live and enjoy what I have while I can.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 06:10 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

So how come you guys still love me in spite of my love for the best quality Chinese fakes??

Old 27 September 2006, 09:01 PM   #21
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
So how come you guys still love me in spite of my love for the best quality Chinese fakes??
Picking on us provides with our daily dose of laughter