The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2024, 07:27 AM   #1
hd-bagger
"TRF" Member

Thoughts of an heirloom…advice needed

I have wanted a sub date since I was a kid, for a variety of reasons. When I found out we were pregnant with my son, it was time to buy. So 3.5 years ago I was lucky enough to meet an awesome AD and the rest was history.

I collected the sub 41 about 2 weeks before his birth and I’ve worn it basically every day since. I’ve been up mountains, diving, vacations, daily work, and everywhere in between with this watch. It has really become a part of me. As strange as that sounds.

I started to notice that I really see a lot of subs around. I was talking to two guys at a meeting a while back, and we all had on the same watch. For some reason that really bothers me. Maybe it shouldn’t, but it does. This started my itch for the second watch. Black and blue means something to me and the blnr was an obvious choice. So I went back to the AD.

Fast forward to last week, I got the call for my awesome blnr on jubilee. I will go ahead and say that I absolutely love this watch also. It’s so comfortable and just stunning to look at. I’ve worn it about 5 days since I received it.

My problem comes in when I think about the purpose of my submariner. It was meant to be truly lived in so that someday I can give my son a piece of me that’s been in the background of his entire life. It was with us from the moment he entered the world and every memory in between.

Will having two watches make the sub any less special? Should I leave the blnr in the safe for 18 years? What if he doesn’t even like watches? Am I crazy for thinking this way?

I know…first world problems but I wanted to ask you fine people your thoughts. I feel like I’m stepping out on my sub, but man I love the blnr also.

I have a daughter also and she will get her mom’s datejust. My wife’s a one watch woman and the datejust has had quite the life also.

A few pics just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd-bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 07:39 AM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Honeymoon period. You’ll be in a rotation sooner than later … Son gets both of daddy’s watches. It’s a win anyway you look at it. Congratulations.
Old 20 July 2024, 07:42 AM   #3
hd-bagger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Honeymoon period. You’ll be in a rotation sooner than later … Son gets both of daddy’s watches. It’s a win anyway you look at it. Congratulations.
I feel a little silly even posting this to be honest. I thought if anyone would understand, it would be you guys.
Old 20 July 2024, 02:37 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Nothing wrong with more than one plus the new addition is in my opinion an even better reference
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:44 PM   #5
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Love that combo of watches. Personally I would get a Rubber B or Everest band that uses the deployment for the Sub. Makes the watches very different and your Sub for the more sporty activities that you do.

Now you and your son get two awesome watches. Congratulations!
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:32 PM   #6
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
I think just letting your children know you're a 'watch guy' is enough. It doesn't have to be one specific watch to make it special IMO.
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:20 PM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Congrats, and that is a great photo of you holding your son.

It's clear that you are wearing your sub in that photo, and as you had mentioned, that is a watch you could easily find yourself "living in". Especially since you have such a connection to it, and there it is on the wrist while you are holding your son. It is a fitting heirloom piece. You don't need to overthink it, your initial draw to it was good intuition and a good fit for you.

So is the BLNR. You can wear both, there is no rule saying you can only wear one watch and that becomes the only special one. And you can pass both on to your kid. By the way, they're pretty similar... so it's not too much of a stretch that they are like kindred spirits as far as watches go. The BLNR is like the submariner but just a little more dressed up with that jubilee bracelet.

Personally, when I have children, I intend to pass on to them a collection of several watches. I don't feel that it needs to be just about that "one watch dad always wore", but rather, "here's what dad was all about: this was his style, and he had great taste and a nice range of watches".

By the way, who cares what anyone else is wearing? It shouldn't matter that other people at your workplace or in meetings are wearing submariners, don't let it bother you. I also do not view subs as being so common place... I live in a very affluent area and hardly ever notice anyone with a sub. Does it bother the millions of people sporting Apple watches that everyone has an Apple watch? Shouldn't stop you from wearing what you like.
Old 20 July 2024, 04:54 PM   #8
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Congrats on the new baby
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 05:32 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You can have as many watches as you like. When your children have inherited them you won't care if they wear them, cherish them, sell them or give them away.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:45 PM   #10
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations on the new baby

Stick around here long enough and two watches will be the least of your problems
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:28 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You can have two watches and enjoy both of them. The Submariner is an Icon and one that I would not get rid of. Wear the BLNR, honeymoon phase, and just let the Submariner sit for a bit. You will circle back around and have two great watches that you will enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:56 PM   #12
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Sub is no less special special because you also like the BLNR. Sub is a birth watch for your son. I have a pretty decent collection I thought my two adult children might enjoy. Turns out they are 100% not interested in them.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 12:38 AM   #13
Mystro

You’re overthinking this. I have kids now, teenagers. The watch you wear with them making memories like family vacations, etc….will be the watch that matters most. That watch might be one you don’t even own yet.
Old 21 July 2024, 12:48 AM   #14
hd-bagger
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses guys. You are all right. I know deep down I’m overthinking all of this. Who knows what the future holds anyway. May as well just enjoy what we have while we have it.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:04 AM   #15
BigNasty66
Banned

You can own both watches and pass it down to your son, congrats in all!
BigNasty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:12 AM   #16
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Congratulations on being a Dad!

I would not keep a watch in the safe in the pretence that your boy will want it. I'd imagine in 20yrs time it'll be a very different landscape, Gen Alpha will be wearing smart technology, an old watch will probably be uncool.

That aside, I'd rather have a watch my Dad had worn, that would have more sentimental value to me than a new shiny one he never wore?
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:14 AM   #17
1911 Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub date
You have a daughter who might someday marry an awesome son-in-law. One that you love enough to pass on to him one of your special watches.
1911 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:32 AM   #18
hd-bagger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 Man View Post
You have a daughter who might someday marry an awesome son-in-law. One that you love enough to pass on to him one of your special watches.
Now that’s something I have recently thought about. I don’t intend on not wearing my watches either. That’s why I bought them after all. I can’t predict what the future holds anyway. I’m just going to enjoy both of them while I’m here. I don’t have a burning desire to add anything else either…yet.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:41 AM   #19
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I will more than likely pass my SubD to my son... what my two girls will get... i have no clue. But what makes the SubD special is the memories he will have with me wearing it. I think you should wear both build memories with both and let him choose when the time is right. Seeing it as Dad's watch rather than what dad bought and stuffed in the safe is much more special.
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 01:46 AM   #20
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
You bought the sub when he has born, you should keep it for him.
When my son was born 11 years ago I texted my AD from the delivery room and bought a Sub LV dated that day and in my sons name. It is still sitting in my safe for him someday. He has no clue.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 02:15 AM   #21
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I totally get it. But your son will love both watches or you’ll have another kid one day and they both have one. It doesn’t mean any less if you’re switching wearing them. To me, it’s huge to have a birth year watch. I have at least one birth year watch for each of my boys.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 02:30 AM   #22
Neil McCauley
Banned

Lovely pic of you and your son.

Don't overthink it - any watch makes a great heirloom, it's nothing to do with the make or model, it's about what the watch represents. Your son wont care if it's a Rolex or anything else, it will be "Dad's watch(es)".

I have my grandfather's humble little two-tone quartz Seiko from the 80s, and it's my most prized possession.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 03:24 AM   #23
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

You can always have more kids...

I have more watches than I have kids and expect the collection to be divided (as equally as possible) between my three sons.

It will be nice to see which watches end up with which kids. All the watches are different, as are the boys. While I have some ideas who prefers which, I know they will remember me and their childhoods when they get them.

A nice way to create a family heirloom/legacy.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 06:49 AM   #24
Neil McCauley
Banned

Question for those of you with kids (I do not)

Would you be more likely to give the watches while you’re still around? Or will you make them wait until you’re gone?
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 07:18 AM   #25
noshame
"TRF" Member

Congrats, OP! Please wear BOTH. Rotate. You will still reach for you Subbie more often than not, as it'll make more sense then your BLNR for many settings. Pass your Sub over to your son when the time is right, and you'll still have your BLNR to enjoy. In the end, your son will most likely end up with both watches, but based on your story, the first one you gift him should be your SUB!
Old 21 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #26
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

Would you be more likely to give the watches while you’re still around? Or will you make them wait until you’re gone?
I have already started the process of gifting watches to my children. I let them pick one when then are graduating from high school and actually give it to them when they turn 20. My oldest took possession on his Cartier this past Christmas, and my second son’s DJ 2 will remain in the safe for the next two years.

My daughter is younger, and she already has her eyes on something special. Everyone wants the YG DD, but I’ll hold on to that for a long time.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 09:24 AM   #27
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
In 1986 my son was born. I bought a TT 36mm Datejust.

I presented the watch to him when he turned 30.

He wears it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT Datejust.jpg (73.2 KB, 264 views)
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 09:30 AM   #28
Spoonage

You'll be good. I was wearing my BLNR when my oldest was born and my Sub when my second was born. I don't like traveling with multiple watches so usually in my BLNR if I'm in another time zone... But if we are doing something memorable (i e. Birthday / special occasion) I'll wear the watch that "matches up" with each of them. They'll have enough memories with me in the watches and so will your kid with you and your special watch(es).
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 09:35 AM   #29
Spoonage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

When I feel they are ready and responsible enough for them. But I'll need a replacement watch lined up first before it goes to them.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 09:56 AM   #30
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

I think it’s wonderful that you have this yearning to pass on your watch to your son forged with memories of you two together. It’s equally nice to see that you’re actually using the watch for what it was intended for; rugged wear.

Having said that, you are also an individual who likes watches. You should have the right to enjoy all the experiences you like with them without being beholden to an ideal. I doubt your son will ever care or mind that you wore different watches when you guys were spending time together. Just go and enjoy it.
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote