The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2024, 10:23 AM   #1
sea dweller 61
"TRF" Member

traveling with Rolex watches

I am considering taking some watches with me on vacation to another country. What precautions do you guys take? Do you guys declare them through customs? Any and all responses appreciated
sea dweller 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:26 AM   #2
racerx
"TRF" Member

I’d just bring one, wearing it.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:35 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Take 'em with you. Treat them the same way as any other, take them on long walks and looking at the moon light. Refrain from high levels of alcohol, but generally they will be able to handle most anything. Swimming is fine either alone or all together.

As to declaring them, that is for importing, but there is a form if you are traveling with more than one and want to have a document that shows you left the country with several.
Old 20 July 2024, 10:54 AM   #4
NAUI1982
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea dweller 61 View Post
I am considering taking some watches with me on vacation to another country. What precautions do you guys take? Do you guys declare them through customs? Any and all responses appreciated

I do it all the time. I have a nice travel pouch, I wear one and pack one into my carry on. But I do this with more than just a Rolex. For example, if I’m going on a SCUBA diving trip, my travel pouch has my dive watch and a nice evening wear sports watch, and that’s on top of what’s on my wrist. Haven’t lost one yet, 30 years of doing this.

Use the hotel safe if you must, but don’t consider that fool proof. Possessions are just that, meant to be enjoyed. Take your shit with you now, cause you can’t when you die!
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:56 AM   #5
sea dweller 61
"TRF" Member

traveling with rolex

thanks for the response. That's correct when landing in another country stating declaring the value of anything over $200 USD and declaring that value on a form. When doing so will that declaration require taxes? Fees? I also appreciate the info regarding a form in the US to fill out describing items you are taking. Is this for insurance purposes? Again keep the responses coming
sea dweller 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:14 AM   #6
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Depends on where you're heading. I just take one watch when I travel and I wear it. Don't want to trust things to a hotel room safe. I've never had any customs issues with any jewelry I was wearing.
Old 20 July 2024, 02:32 PM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Is it worth the hassle taking more than one away with you? And I say that purely based on making sure they are safe and secure at all times
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:46 PM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I sometimes wear one and bring another when I travel, I wouldn’t carry more than that. Make sure they are insured.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:55 PM   #9
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I usually travel with multiple watches and never gave it s second thought. Just got back from Korea and we took 5 watches between me and the wife. Never filled out any declaration in any of the countries in the past. Recently I've been seeing some articles on how strict Switzerland customs is. Maybe it's something new? We never had issues pre-COVID travelling to Switzerland on multiple trips.

We are going there in a few weeks and decided we will only travel with one watch on our wrists. Question is, should I be declaring it upon entry? My understanding is I have to pay a tax on my own watch when I do that and then have to claim a refund as I leave and hope I get the money back months later?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:04 PM   #10
karleone
"TRF" Member

I assume you're traveling to a safe destination with no risk of watch theft. I can't fathom why people travel with multiple watches, given the risks involved at every stage of the trip. There's airport security, where watches can be stolen, and even on the plane, watches kept in overhead compartments have been known to go missing. Hotel safes are also not foolproof, as hotel staff can easily access them. Personally, I travel with just one watch, and it always stays on my wrist.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:27 PM   #11
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

One watch is all you need when traveling. I just got back from Europe. We visited Munich, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, and some other cities. I wore my GMT BLNR everywhere.

We like to travel light and bringing more than one watch just seems like a big hassle to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:42 PM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I assume you're traveling to a safe destination with no risk of watch theft. I can't fathom why people travel with multiple watches, given the risks involved at every stage of the trip. There's airport security, where watches can be stolen, and even on the plane, watches kept in overhead compartments have been known to go missing. Hotel safes are also not foolproof, as hotel staff can easily access them. Personally, I travel with just one watch, and it always stays on my wrist.

Yes, very safe places. If I was going to certain less safe countries or cities, it's one watch and a cheap one at that.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:48 PM   #13
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
Depends on where you're heading. I just take one watch when I travel and I wear it. Don't want to trust things to a hotel room safe. I've never had any customs issues with any jewelry I was wearing.
This…I was just about to type this.

I’m presently in Budapest. I brought my 14200 Air King. It’s my only 6-digit reference in my watch stable; after kayaking on a lake in Idaho with my 5-digit DJ a few summers ago, I wanted my AK’s sturdier clasp for this trip, as we will be spending time at Lake Balaton. Plus, I personally didn’t want to deal with a date on a watch. The riverfront promenade is so safe that I saw not just a ton of young women walking around, but younger children.

I know the AK is the most “affordable” Rolex, but a Rolex is a Rolex, and it is still an expensive watch. It’s a very First World mentality to think that a $5K Rolex is a “cheap watch.”

I’m lived in Los Angeles for almost 40 years, and because of the steadily worsening crime, I am very cautious where I go, only valet park my car (no more self-parking garages at restaurants), and am very aware of my watch and jewelry. Although all of my watches are fully insured, the crime is a major reason I stopped wearing my sentimentally precious Yachtmaster, and bought a used DJ and AK. So, I do still wear a Rolex in LA, but am very cautious and aware. In fact, the only person I know who owns a Platona told me he stopped wearing it because too many people recognize what it is and, significantly, how much one costs.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:57 PM   #14
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Precaution 1 - Hotel Safes are not safe
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:59 PM   #15
stnmikita
"TRF" Member

When traveling with Rolex watches, I usually keep them in a secure travel case and wear one to avoid damage. As for customs, it’s a good idea to declare them, especially if you’re carrying multiple or high-value pieces. Take photos and have proof of ownership in case you need to show they’re personal items. Safe travels!
stnmikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 05:08 PM   #16
L8r
2024 Pledge Member

If you were going to be abroad for an extended period, maybe take a small part of your collection.
If you’re going to be away for just a couple-a-few weeks maybe a sports and a dress watch. Otherwise, it seems like a good way of needlessly complicating your vacation.
Whatever you decide, have fun

Jmo
L8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 07:33 PM   #17
Yuki Yamada
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GS SBGP017
Hello from Japan.
Personally, I think it's best to take only one watch with you to avoid unnecessary suspicion at customs. Also, with just one watch, you can always wear it, which might be safer than leaving it in a safe. If you are visiting Japan, you might consider bringing your favorite watch since it's relatively safe here. Enjoy your trip!
Yuki Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 07:51 PM   #18
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
One watch to rule them all… (when travelling).

OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 08:00 PM   #19
Hemdog
"TRF" Member

Team one watch, it doesn’t leave my wrist
Hemdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 08:07 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea dweller 61 View Post
Last thing on my mind would be anything to do with what watches to take on holiday. And no matter in this world millions wear daily Rolex watches without taking any precautions except common sense. Have a good relaxing holiday and safe return home now that's far more important than what watches to take.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:17 PM   #21
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Another travel with one watch guy here.

As for precautions … I travel with digital copies of my original receipt, watch, and full set in case I’m asked about it upon return to Canada.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:22 PM   #22
JSol1

Obviously personal decision, but we travel frequently to all types of places and I always bring several watches as does my wife. I want to enjoy them so I bring them.
I use a watch roll that I keep in my carry on backpack and is in my possession at all times. I have a Casioak g shock that I wear in less developed areas or places that are known for theft. Everything is insured and I just make sure I’m aware of my surroundings. I’ve never declared anything but perhaps that’s something I should look into.
If it made me self conscious or in any way caused stress then I wouldn’t, but after my first trip with multiple watches I’m comfortable with my decision.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:36 PM   #23
scotttampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, OM, GO
All depends on where you're going. Take the time to do your due diligence re the venue(s) to be visited.
scotttampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:46 PM   #24
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I only take one when travelling. Usually the 16713. Off to Switzerland for 6 weeks at the end of the month and I’ll be taking the DayDate.
Old 20 July 2024, 10:12 PM   #25
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕

I only travel with the watch I wear when I am on vacation. It brings no further worries, rooms with vault in many hotels aren’t -that safe!

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 10:14 PM   #26
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The way to do this, particularly if you travel frequently, is to go to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office, usually near large airports in the US, and take the items with you that you travel with and are of significant value. The officer there will fill out form 4457 and list each of the items in your possession - and then you may need to present that form when re-entering the US, so you do not make yourself subject to custom charges. This form never expires. I have also found this form extremely useful when in non-US countries questioning the goods I am traveling with, including watches.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:17 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have been down this road many times and have gone from taking a lot of watches with me to just one typically SS sport watch and a backup Seiko or G-Shock. Typically quartz. One less thing to keep up with when traveling.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:30 PM   #28
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I bring one and that’s it.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:43 PM   #29
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

when we go on our cruise I take 3 watches, day watch, sports, watch dress watch my partner one. so I wear two and she wears two whilst travelling.

Once onboard they go in the safe. Never had a moment of concern even if I've left one out on the table whilst we go out for the day. Get to know your cabin steward, as he will be there for the duration.

The robbing from hotels/cabins safes etc is vastly overplayed. (not that it doesn't happen of course) IMHO.

If you plan to take many then photo them all and send the pictures via email to yourself so you can quickly datestamp prove they were personal belongings prior to travelling.
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:49 PM   #30
Gargamel
"TRF" Member

Take a summer watch with multiple straps.

A mm300 with its bracelet and rubber.
A fxd with 3 or 4 colored nato.

You'll be safe, your mind and family too.
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote