The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Ayiu20
"TRF" Member

Looking to be a new Rolex Owner

Hey Guys,

I'm young and I've finally got some money to spend and I've always had an affinity for watches, especially when my father first bought his.

So, what would you guys recommend as a "starter" Rolex? Of course, I'd probably had to start off with a stainless steel one, considering my limited finances.

Also, how good of an investment is a Rolex, even a stainless steel one, in terms of it appreciating/resale value? Do all Rolexes appreciate over time?

Thanks a bunch.

- Andrew
Ayiu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 02:26 PM   #2
allill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Andrew,

Glad to hear your on your search for a Rolex. I don't think there really is a "starter" Rolex and if there is, being stainless steel has nothing to do with it. I, for one, favor stainless- less flash, more function, and in some examples a better value in both aspects of purchase price (new) and investment. It all depends on your budget. I know when I first started looking at them I wanted to get a TT Blue Submariner so bad. I had the money to get a stainless one but kept passing to try to save more loot. I never got either (yet) but have gotten into a couple cool stainless Rolex sport models (Daytona/Explorer II/Tudor Chronos).

For your first Rolex and being you're young, I suggest any of the stainless sport models. They are always in demand and easy to sell if you ever wanted to upgrade.

Ex-watches: 116520 black | 16570 Black | 79280 black/silver subs | Omega SMP | Breitling b13050.1 | Pam 98 | Seiko SNM037 ||
allill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 03:35 PM   #3
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
ss sub no date 14060m ...cant go wrong with that one
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 03:50 PM   #4
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine View Post
ss sub no date 14060m ...cant go wrong with that one
Agreed. Sub Date or no-Date would be an excellent starter.

And watches aren't investments.
Old 12 September 2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
SS Sub Date
or
SS Expy II.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Agreed. Sub Date or no-Date would be an excellent starter.

And watches aren't investments.
I agree!

But in a few years when you want to upgrade you can always sell it and if history holds true you can get much more than you paid and put it towards a TT or Gold Sports or DD.

I bought my DD in 82 for around $5,600 sold it a few years later for around $9,000 and bought a diamond lug and baget dial DD for $12,000 which now lists for around $27,000 in 07.
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Welcome to TRF, Andrew.

If you are looking for something on the dressy side, a stainless steel (SS) Datejust is nice. My choice would be a fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet. If you don't like that you could go for a SS Datejust with plain bezel and Oyster bracelet.

If you want something in the sporty category, then I would look at the Explorer II. Be careful that you choose the color dial you want carefully (white or black), because Rolex won't let you change from one to the other. People have managed to do it, but it's a real hassle.

As for appreciation--forget about it unless the model is very rare and desirable. Sure, you might be able to sell the watch for more than you paid for it, but it is unlikely to be enough to buy a comparable new watch. For example, I have a Rolex that I bought new for about $200. Maybe I could sell it now for $1000. But a comparable new one would be about $5000.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 06:12 PM   #8
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Welcome Andrew..... I was in the same boat a few months back.... and I went with the Sub Date. I am very keen on ss sports models..... so that waa me! If I was looking for something other than a sub.... an Expy I or II would have been my next choice. :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 06:13 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayiu20 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm young and I've finally got some money to spend and I've always had an affinity for watches, especially when my father first bought his.

So, what would you guys recommend as a "starter" Rolex? Of course, I'd probably had to start off with a stainless steel one, considering my limited finances.

Also, how good of an investment is a Rolex, even a stainless steel one, in terms of it appreciating/resale value? Do all Rolexes appreciate over time?

Thanks a bunch.

- Andrew
Welcome to TRF!!

For a first new Rolex in steel, you can't go wrong with the Sub-date 16610!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 06:40 PM   #10
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
welcome to TRF Andrew

may i also suggest you look at the GMT Master II with the ceramic bezel. it is a beautiful watch too.

you will never lose to much money on a SS rolex and over the years the prices tend to rise.

like this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barbados 075.JPG (34.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg barbados 172.jpg (39.7 KB, 244 views)

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 07:03 PM   #11
akhamdani
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF.
EXPLORER II will be a good choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02424.JPG (152.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02419.JPG (146.5 KB, 239 views)
akhamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 08:02 PM   #12
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
You can't go wrong with all the advice so far , please post some pics when you get one
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Explorer II or/and GMT
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 08:43 PM   #14
VtailFlyer

Whatever model you ultimately decide on, I would recommend that you buy it either used off of TRF or from a reliable used/gray market dealer.

This gives you the same watch you want at a better price point thereby having the original owner eat a bunch of the depreciation.

If you decide to go this route get all boxes and papers as they greatly add to resale value as well as being nice accessories to have.

Also, don't be shy about asking questions, but before you do make sure you use the search function on the forum here. You will find many of your questions have probably been answered in one way or another.

Good luck and tell us what you end up with!
VtailFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 09:23 PM   #15
jdc
"TRF" Member

Welcome Andrew, as you can see there are so many to choose from, best going to a Rolex Authorised dealer and see them at first hand to get a better idea of your preference.
Lots of the guys here have sports model but the datejust range is just as hardy and reliable. It really is down to individual preference and your life style.
Good luck with your choice, you will have fun and a headache before making your first purchase.

Mine is an older model GMT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000705.jpg (124.6 KB, 205 views)
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 09:26 PM   #16
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

SS Sub Date
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Ayiu20
"TRF" Member

Hey all,

I really appreciate all your input. I can tell that this is definitely a great community to be a part of, especially following your fast and sincere responses.

I'll be sure to let you all know what I get.

Thanks!
Ayiu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 01:42 PM   #18
MassiveAttack

Watch: your target
Breitling Bentley!!

jk, sub no date
MassiveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 01:45 PM   #19
CKay
"TRF" Member

Buy any of the SS Sports models. You won't go wrong. SS Sub, No date Sub and SD are good choices.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD
CKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 01:50 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

I tend to agree, any of the sports line is a winner.

If you want something a little more dressy, then my choice would be a Turn-O-Graph (36mm case), but the red accents and matt black dial.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 02:07 PM   #21
ShawnK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Sports model

I have a GMT II and a Sub no-date and love them both. I had a Datejust for a short period of time, but I just couldn't bond with it due to the size difference between it and my GMT. I have a small wrist, and found the 36mm even too small for me. Its a matter of personal taste though.

If you want to get into an "entry" level Rolex (and by "entry" I only consider that a price point as they are all high-grade professional watches) you may look at a pre-owned Explorer II.

They seem to be selling at a much lower price on the second hand market than the Subs or GMT II models. You can get an Exp II which has a date function for the same, or just a bit more, than a Sub no-date. And the Explorer is a darn good looking watch that doesn't "scream" Rolex.

Just look around on this and other watch forums and buy from a regular member who has good references. If you are patient (which is hard to do ) you will find the right watch from the right seller.

Good luck!
ShawnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 04:21 PM   #22
gone2vegas
"TRF" Member

Like JDC suggested, go to a Rolex dealer and try a few on, that's the best way to decide which one YOU like best.

My vote is for the Milgauss with white dial.

PAM 312
gone2vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 04:43 PM   #23
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch.

- Andrew
I would start off with the submariner ss 16610 model.
Rolex is something that does not depreciate, imo and based on my experience. But it also does not appreciate. It does appreciate in value in the ad's but you can't sell your own watch at that price.
Old 14 September 2008, 04:45 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestpogi View Post
I would start off with the submariner ss 16610 model.
Rolex is something that does not depreciate, imo and based on my experience. But it also does not appreciate.
I concur!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
adding pictures. Both of these are great starters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWB-7-4-08[1].jpg (48.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex17mile1.jpg (88.9 KB, 56 views)
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 04:56 PM   #26
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sounds like you've already picked Rolex as a brand, so as for model, do you like sport models or dress/traditional models?

For a SS sports model, I would recommend trying to find a sea-dweller, since they're an iconic watch that has been recently discontinued. If not, then I agree with everyone else that you can't go wrong with a Sub Date, or GMT-II ceramic.

Or, if sport models aren't your thing, try a SS Datejust. They come in so many color/style options that you're bound to find something you like. They're a great, reliable watch that'll last you for a very long time.

I also agree that it's a mistake to think of a watch as an investment. Rolex as a brand does hold value very well, but watches generally only appreciate in value if they're hard to get, and there are a lot of all the current models in circulation. Just buy your watch and enjoy it for what it is.
Matrim604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2008, 09:11 PM   #27
MassiveAttack

Watch: your target
if i can change my opinion, budged be damned, the first Rolex should be the Seadweller. you have a one of a kind Rolex that you will think twice before swapping, a more robust divers watch than the Sub, a flawless crystal that doesnt attract grime around the cyclops, and still looks like the legendary design of a world famous Rolex.

SD for the win.
MassiveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2008, 01:25 AM   #28
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

SS Sub Date
Old 15 September 2008, 01:38 AM   #29
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Explorer II would be a good starter. You'll see a million Subs and Datejusts out there, but only a few Explorer II's.

It's remarkably comfortable, lays flatter and does not have the fat clasp of the Sub/SD.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2008, 02:43 AM   #30
swordfish01
"TRF" Member

I personally don't want the sub date because everyone in my area/work has one... seems to be too common for me to even think about.

I decided to consider the Yacthmaster since it is less common in my circle and dressier...

I've never been a watch guy, but I'm hoping I get used to wearing it...

Good Luck
swordfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote