The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 October 2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
What would you do????

If you currently own a Sub 116610LV (HULK) and you had the opportunity to get a Sub Date 116610LN. Would you get it ? I also have a GMT (Batman) and the Milgauss.

Your thoughts.......
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Do you want the watch?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Do you want the watch?
Part of me does but the other tells me that it may be too similar......... I already have wife's approval. I can't wait too long because the AD will have to let it go.....
Old 11 October 2018, 07:06 AM   #4
prlwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO w/3186
Hurried decisions usually a bad idea.
prlwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:06 AM   #5
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Why not? They're like Pokemon, gotta catch'em all!
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prlwatch View Post
Hurried decisions usually a bad idea.
I agree........ I have to process staff like this.
Old 11 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #7
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
I wouldn't get one just on the basis of "having an opportunity to get one". But if I really wanted one and figured I would wear it instead of the other three from time to time and enjoy doing that, then sure, why not.

Personally, if I already had the LV and a Batman I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to get a date sub. There are so many nice watches in the world that you don't have.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:17 AM   #8
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
The answer to should I add another Sub, is always YES!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

No, I would not. Maybe you will?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:27 AM   #10
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
It kind of sounds like you don't want that Submariner very badly. If that is the case, rather than get it just because it's available, perhaps wait until Basel 2019 and see if Rolex does any updates on the Submariner models. I expect it would be at least the newer movement.
I had a similar dilemma last weekend. There was an Explorer I at my AD, and I have wanted one for years, since I sold my 36mm model a few years back. But I also thought I wanted a Sub No Date, or an SD43. Since I had the luxury of waiting two days, as the AD was closed for Sunday and Canadian Thanksgiving, I really put in a lot of time looking at photos and reviews of all. In the end, it was the Explorer, but only after I was 100% convinced I would prefer it over the others. Now I am very glad I made the purchase. And not just because it was available.
Now that I thoroughly confused you with my story , good luck with your decision!
Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 October 2018, 08:05 AM   #11
nick800
"TRF" Member

I had virtually the exact same scenario at a AD today. Passed on the SubC Date.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 08:42 AM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

Personally, I find them too similar; I would opt for one or the other, but not both. But that's beside the point, because there are just as many here - or maybe more - who would happily own multiple Subs in different colors and metal grades.

Backtracking a bit, how is it you have the opportunity to buy this? Are you on a wait list? If so, that means you must have decided you wanted it at some point. What was behind that desire, and does it still hold? If you're not on a wait list, that suggests you stumbled upon this availability, and hadn't sought it on your own volition. If that's the case, this is an impulse buy, and under pressure, which probably makes it a bad idea.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 09:17 AM   #13
peterpl
Banned

If your doing this because you think its going to rise in price or the FOMO - then DONT do it. SS prices already dropping in price.

I can tell already from your posts you dont love the watch so what is the reason for you to buy it?
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Personally, I find them too similar; I would opt for one or the other, but not both. But that's beside the point, because there are just as many here - or maybe more - who would happily own multiple Subs in different colors and metal grades.

Backtracking a bit, how is it you have the opportunity to buy this? Are you on a wait list? If so, that means you must have decided you wanted it at some point. What was behind that desire, and does it still hold? If you're not on a wait list, that suggests you stumbled upon this availability, and hadn't sought it on your own volition. If that's the case, this is an impulse buy, and under pressure, which probably makes it a bad idea.
You hit the nail on the head! I stumbled upon this opportunity because I have relationship with the AD and they have one in the back for their loyal clients. No, this was not in my radar before today.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:39 AM   #15
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
If your doing this because you think its going to rise in price or the FOMO - then DONT do it. SS prices already dropping in price.

I can tell already from your posts you dont love the watch so what is the reason for you to buy it?
You are correct...... i have not been pursuing this one, I was just trying to process the option. Also, I wasn’t thinking of the fact that it may or may not go up in price.

Thank you for the feedback.........
Old 11 October 2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the valuable insight on both sides. I have decided to let it go. I hope that when someone else is given the same opportunity, they will feel like they hit the jackpot.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:42 AM   #17
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I would get it, sell the Hulk and spend the cash on beer and girls.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 09:44 AM   #18
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
If your doing this because you think its going to rise in price or the FOMO - then DONT do it. SS prices already dropping in price
Thanks for the tip. Where can I get SS at dropped prices? I have been waiting or this info for years...
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 09:50 AM   #19
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Thanks for the tip. Where can I get SS at dropped prices? I have been waiting or this info for years...
Well if your after a SS BLRO they were selling for $21-$22k at the gray market. Now if you shop around you will find them for $16-$17k - wait another 6 months they will be $14-15k.

RRP is $9k - you will still probably pay premium of a few K but they are dropping from the crazy high prices.

Every bubble bursts. Doesnt matter if its real estate, shares or watches.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I would get it, sell the Hulk and spend the cash on beer and girls.
I read your remark to my wife and her response was not what I was expecting. She responded..........”sell the Hulk!!!?.heck no!! ” Nothing was said about the beer and girls........ lol! Hmmmmmmm
Old 11 October 2018, 09:59 AM   #21
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Well if your after a SS BLRO they were selling for $21-$22k at the gray market. Now if you shop around you will find them for $16-$17k - wait another 6 months they will be $14-15k.

RRP is $9k - you will still probably pay premium of a few K but they are dropping from the crazy high prices.

Every bubble bursts. Doesnt matter if its real estate, shares or watches.
That doesn't necessarily mean overall SS model prices are coming down - just that perhaps there are enough SS BLROs in the market now that the initial inflation of that particular model is finally adjusting. I don't see much alteration in the prices of the other hard-to-get SS models. To wit: unworn SubC Dates are still pushing $10k.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:04 AM   #22
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesarmsi View Post
Nothing was said about the beer and girls........ lol! Hmmmmmmm
Old 11 October 2018, 10:06 AM   #23
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Her words.........THATS A NEGATIVE!!!!!

Good one!!!
Old 11 October 2018, 10:07 AM   #24
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean overall SS model prices are coming down - just that perhaps there are enough SS BLROs in the market now that the initial inflation of that particular model is finally adjusting. I don't see much alteration in the prices of the other hard-to-get SS models. To wit: unworn SubC Dates are still pushing $10k.
Time will tell. Guys I talk to in Asia are all feeling the same way now regarding SS. Watches are taking longer to sell and reductions are coming more easily so we'll see.

Its a good thing anyway. I'm all for making sure our watches are worth what we paid for but I'm also a fan of allowing new customers into the brand without paying crazy inflated prices or potential new customers not even being able to buy what they want from ADs.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:07 AM   #25
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Her words.........THATS A NEGATIVE!!!!!
Meh. It's her loss. (I have no idea how, but that's what I'd be telling myself.)

Good thread. I think you made the right decision.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:08 AM   #26
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
If you currently own a Sub 116610LV (HULK) and you had the opportunity to get a Sub Date 116610LN. Would you get it ? I also have a GMT (Batman) and the Milgauss.

Your thoughts.......
It's either one or another
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:09 AM   #27
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Time will tell. Guys I talk to in Asia are all feeling the same way now regarding SS. Watches are taking longer to sell and reductions are coming more easily so we'll see.
Interesting. Maybe there is something to the idea that Rolex is sending all their SS to Asia.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:15 AM   #28
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, I wouldn't. My collection has room for one modern SS sub and that's it (not saying I wouldn't be open to adding PM down the road). It's often clear when someone here is posting about buying a watch and their mind is already made up (they're just looking for some extra encouragement/justification to move forward with the purchase). I don't get that sense on this one. I'd take a pause and think over whether you really want to add a black standard Sub to your collection or not. One other thing to think about is what other watches are on your wish list? Would you rather pass on this opportunity today and "save some bullets" for something you really want in the near-term?
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:27 AM   #29
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Thank you all for the valuable insight on both sides. I have decided to let it go. I hope that when someone else is given the same opportunity, they will feel like they hit the jackpot.
I think that's a good decision. You weren't really looking to buy, but the opportunity came up. The LV and LN would probably have too similar of a look to justify the significant extra expense imho. Based on your collection so far, it seems you prefer some variety rather than every variation of the same model. I'm sure something else will come along. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:34 AM   #30
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:

Its a good thing anyway. I'm all for making sure our watches are worth what we paid for but I'm also a fan of allowing new customers into the brand without paying crazy inflated prices or potential new customers not even being able to buy what they want from ADs.
Good points! With today's international market jitters, many of the luxury brands (in all things) took a hit with an expected slow down in Asian demand (according to MSNBC today). So maybe there will be more Rolex available soon at reasonable prices (I hope!). Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116610ln , wwyd