The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2008, 08:19 AM   #1
MrPotatoHead

Icon9 Something is terribly wrong...

...with either me, Rolex, or both....

Today, I received my Submariner back from Rolex NY after repair. For some reason, the band didn't come attached to the watch. Well - a couple of hours later, I have the band attached to the head - but adjusting it and making it close and latch correctly is worse than Rubic's Cube.

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!
MrPotatoHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Welcome to the forum! I have never heard of that happening before, usually it comes attached? What, specifically, are you trying adjust? Is the bracelet too small or large? Will it not close correctly?
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2008, 08:27 AM   #3
MrPotatoHead

Actually, 'adjust' is a poor description.... After attaching the bracelet to the head the first time, I tried to put it on - attached it backwards. Took it off, re-attached it - but it won't 'clasp', or close correctly. Even the little metal clasp keeps falling off. Does that help?
Old 9 November 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you're having a little trouble with the clam-shell type of clasp, we have a few tips over in our Reference Library..

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=44158
Old 9 November 2008, 08:32 AM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

That can be adjusted by carefully pressing the clasp in, but personally I would wait and send the watch back to the RSC. It seeems they did not service the bracelet or it may have other issues. What did the description of the service perfrormed on your watch read? If you can, wait until Monday to talk to the tech responsible for your servicing your watch. Sorry to hear that you are having a bad exprience.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 9 November 2008, 08:34 AM   #6
MrPotatoHead

YAY! I think this might do it... Thanks millions!
Old 9 November 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
MrPotatoHead

Hmmm.... well, from what I can tell from the pictures, the little metal clasp is supposed to be attached to (fit over) the pin that holds the first of the two flat blades to the band itself. Unfortunately, my clasp is too large - in that the holes where the pins would fit into misses the pins by about 1.5mm! No wonder it keeps falling off....

This entire episode seems somewhat rediculous to me - I didn't send the watch to Rolex with the band off. I'll call them on Monday, but if I can find a 'fix' for this over the weekend on the Forum, it would be much easier than having to re-ship it back.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 9 November 2008, 09:03 AM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Can you post some pics of your problem!
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 9 November 2008, 09:09 AM   #9
MrPotatoHead

Yes I can! I'm leaving now for an evening out (without my Rolex!), but will take and post some pic's either this evening or tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 9 November 2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Post us a picture...

Some of the guys here are pretty sharp..............
Old 9 November 2008, 09:15 AM   #11
SLS
"TRF" Member

Another bit of advice, using a round toothpick will help depress the springbars without scratching the case or clasp... have a few extra handy, you might go through a couple of them!
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 9 November 2008, 09:23 AM   #12
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
You got ta LOVE that Rolex Quality Control!!!

Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I think I know what the problem is. If your clasp wont latch all you have to do is bend the blade, closest to the 6 o'clock. Bend just a little, going along with the original curve of the blade. I hope this helps.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2008, 10:50 AM   #14
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Glad it worked out for you but still why did you watch come unassembled ?
Old 9 November 2008, 01:04 PM   #15
wuzzzer
"TRF" Member

The one time I had RSC service my watch they put the band back on backwards.
wuzzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 04:13 AM   #16
MrPotatoHead

The Pic's!

OK - here come the pic's. What I've tried to show is how the clasp is essentially way too big for the band. Yet, using the link that Mr. TOOLS provided above, I THINK that I'm trying to assemble it correctly.

I have no clue why Rolex sent it disassembled - but it wasn't by accident. The head came in a nice green leather bag - the band in a ziplock - with red wires holding the ends of the band that attach to the head on the final links.

You'll see the two micrometer pic's - one is showing the width of the clasp - the other pic, although not as clear, measuring the end of the band where the clasp is supposed to attach.

If you see that I've really screwed something up - it's ok to laugh!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15 mic.jpg (31.3 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (51.4 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg clasp alone.jpg (44.9 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg Arrow showing gap2flash.jpg (29.1 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg two arrows.jpg (35.5 KB, 733 views)
Old 10 November 2008, 04:18 AM   #17
CVerKuilen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Chrono
The safety clasp is riveted in place on this bracelet... What did you send it to Rolex for?
CVerKuilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 04:34 AM   #18
MrPotatoHead

You're kidding!!! Jeeeezzzz..... wait till they're open for business tomorrow! My Rolex, purchased new in 1991, finally started running screwy, and the clasp kept coming undone. So - I sent it to Rolex NY - they did their thing - and as I indicated in my opening thread, received it back yesterday - with the head disassembled from the bracelet.
Old 10 November 2008, 04:51 AM   #19
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't have a clue about a solution, but the story itself is amazing!

Why on earth would Rolex send back anything in a disassembled state?!?! It's difficult to tell from the pics (which can be deceiving from what you see in person) but it almost looks like the safety clasp doesn't belong to that bracelet.

I would be on the phone bright and early to get this resolved. I would certainly expect much better service than this from anyone, especially Rolex.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 04:53 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't have a clue about a solution, but the story itself is amazing!

Why on earth would Rolex send back anything in a disassembled state?!?! It's difficult to tell from the pics (which can be deceiving from what you see in person) but it almost looks like the safety clasp doesn't belong to that bracelet.

I would be on the phone bright and early to get this resolved. I would certainly expect much better service than this from anyone, especially Rolex.
Agreed.....I find that quite surprising too!!

Maybe 'cause they were dealing with a Potato Head?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 05:17 AM   #21
MrPotatoHead

Truth Dat!

Very Good Point! Have you ever considered changing your online name to either Daddy Warbucks or Kojak? All you need for the latter is a Tootsie Pop!
Old 10 November 2008, 05:27 AM   #22
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Yeah,that is ridiculous-you need to ask for the head of service.there is no way that someone without the appropriate tools could fix that and it never should have left that way.Is there more to this story?did they tell you that you needed a new clasp and you told them no?
one thing,why did you send it to new york when your in Arizona?wouldnt it have been better to send it to texas?besides,I have heard many horror stories about n.y. service center...
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 05:35 AM   #23
MrPotatoHead

Good Question!

When I first returned home with my new watch in 1991 (from Hong Kong), the date function didn't always work. We lived in Virginia at the time - so I sent it to NYC. When it needed service now, it wasn't going to be any cheaper sending it Registered Mail to TX rather than NY, so I just decided to send it where it had been before. It's not like I could have dropped it off

When the report on needed and recommended repairs came in, the options included lots of stuff, but the only comment/recommendation on the bracelet was, "Bracelet badly worn". Yea, so? I've been wearing it every day since 1991! A new one was like $2,700 or some-such, so I passed on it. They didn't say that I NEEDED a new bracelet, nor did they indicate that it couldn't be repaired, etc....

I'll certainly get the full story tomorrow morning - and will post what they tell me.
Old 10 November 2008, 05:51 AM   #24
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
let me know if ya need that flip lock riveted back in place. I have a pneumatic hammer and it's the only way to do it. This is just way too weird.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 09:43 AM   #25
MrPotatoHead

Thanks! Let's see what Rolex has to say in the morning!
Old 10 November 2008, 10:14 AM   #26
RossInIllinois
Banned

Watch: GMT 2
I'm guessing they didn't re assemble it because it was broken. If it wasn't stated in the original work order to fix the band well they just didn't. Since the band was broken they didn't attach it to the head. Maybe Rolex by not attaching the band was sort of saying don't put this one on its broken? The band should still work however even if the extra latch flipper is off shouldn't it??
RossInIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 10:32 AM   #27
SLS
"TRF" Member

Is it just me, or does that bracelet not look it was touched by anyone at Rolex? I would have expected that bracelet coming back look like new!
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 10 November 2008, 10:42 AM   #28
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossInIllinois View Post
I'm guessing they didn't re assemble it because it was broken. If it wasn't stated in the original work order to fix the band well they just didn't. Since the band was broken they didn't attach it to the head. Maybe Rolex by not attaching the band was sort of saying don't put this one on its broken?
I'm with Ross on this one. His explanation makes sense. (Also explains why they didn't polish it - probably figured you'd put it on a band from a secondary source.)
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Sparky CRNA

Watch: GMT IIc 116713
Mr. PH,

Send it to RSC DALLAS and Andrea Zellmer would be HAPPY to help you the right way!!

NYC SCREWED ME TOO! Andrea is GREAT and they do top notch work, what one would expect from Rolex...not those A**HOLES in NY!

OFF RANT!

Sparky
Sparky CRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2008, 02:05 AM   #30
MrPotatoHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPotatoHead View Post
When the report on needed and recommended repairs came in, the options included lots of stuff, but the only comment/recommendation on the bracelet was, "Bracelet badly worn". Yea, so? I've been wearing it every day since 1991! A new one was like $2,700 or some-such, so I passed on it. They didn't say that I NEEDED a new bracelet, nor did they indicate that it couldn't be repaired, etc....
Seems sort of silly quoting myself... but to all of you who've been waiting with baited breath for what Rolex NY had to say.... It went something like this (I don't need to include my statements to Rolex in the conversation below - you'll get it):

" Hello, this is Danielle, how may I help you?"

"Well, your bracelet was broken beyond repair, and we recommended a new one, which you declined, so the technician simply sent it back, untouched with the newly serviced watch head!"

"Well, no, actually I'm not quoting the service order we sent you, but that's what we meant - but we DIDN'T say that we were going to repair your bracelet!"

"I understand Sir, but again - we didn't tell you that we were fixing the bracelet!"

"The reason the bracelet was not reattached to the head was because
the bracelet was broken beyond repair, Sir!"

"All right Sir. Hold on please."

"Hello Sir, this is Mrs. Russo. How may I help you?"

"Yes Sir, I completely understand. I'll be sending a return kit out immediately. We'll address that issue and be sure it doesn't happen again."