The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2024, 08:01 PM   #1
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
Patek AD wants $65 to put on a new strap

Bought a new rubber grey to put on my 5066. Nice change from my black. AD with a bad attitude wants $65 to size put on the strap. I go back years with this AD. What do all think ? Who did it themselves and was it a pain?
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 10:06 PM   #2
watchvert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
Bought a new rubber grey to put on my 5066. Nice change from my black. AD with a bad attitude wants $65 to size put on the strap. I go back years with this AD. What do all think ? Who did it themselves and was it a pain?
This is mad! I went to the salon in London a few days ago and they changed my strap for free without problems.
Old 20 June 2024, 10:28 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

While you go back years with this AD, it could just be a standard fee for all customers.

I paid my AD for a new Calatrava strap that was special order, and new quick release springbars. Didn't mind $50 (this was in 2022). BTW - got offered a big pilot when they were not especially easy to buy.

Could you expand the "bad attitude" point?

Was it the manager or an SS or a tech?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 11:10 PM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I would pay the $65 because then they would be liable if there were any scratches made to the watch or if the strap was sized incorrectly.
Take very clear, time stamped pictures of the watch before they begin the work to show its current condition just in case they do scratch it.
Old 21 June 2024, 12:23 AM   #5
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Just pay and enjoy the strap and having them put it on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 12:28 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve never been charged to have links and bracelets sized at my Rolex AD.

That said, if they charged me $65 I would understand. I don’t like to conflate previous purchases with what happens down the road, but maybe that’s just me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:54 AM   #7
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
That seems reasonable to me if it was something I didn't want to mess with I'd gladly pay $65 to have it done properly.
Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P, 5205G-013 Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:14 AM   #8
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

More importantly, will they ask for a 20/25/28% tip when you pay? Haha
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:58 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

lol I’d report them to Patek tbh I have shaky hands to would never attempt myself but I’m sure plenty of YouTube videos to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 06:49 PM   #10
geoach
"TRF" Member

thanks for the responses .........bad attitude like they're doing me a favor like Im bothering them thing
Old 21 June 2024, 10:08 PM   #11
1William

Quote:
thanks for the responses .........bad attitude like they're doing me a favor like Im bothering them thing
They do see it as a bother and they also think they are doing you a favor. Such is the brand.
Old 21 June 2024, 11:11 PM   #12
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Did you buy the new strap from them or another party? The answer to this question would determine my answer to your question.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:25 AM   #13
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Can't recall any AD charging me to swap OEM straps unless it was an aftermarket option. Even then, many waived it as a courtesy (assuming I purchased the piece from them).

My Rolex AD did politely refuse to put a non OEM strap on for me (I.E. Rubber B). With that said, I don't think it's unreasonable for an AD to charge you to install a 3rd party strap but if it was OEM and purchased from there, I would be disappointed.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 08:24 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Well, they could have spent that time calling up a lucky customer and informing them that the AD had agreed to make a $40k margin on a Nautilus by selling it to them.
Old 22 June 2024, 06:02 PM   #15
geoach
"TRF" Member

I bought the strap through Tracy at Stern NY. Back ground bought 3 Rolex past thru them in the past.
Old 24 June 2024, 10:49 PM   #16
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Do they carry Patek and was this watch bought grey?

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:03 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
A rolex AD won't put on an aftermarket strap for you pay or not so at least they are willing. As noted, tell them fine but for 65 you expect it done by a watchmaker and there to be no damage to the watch.
Old 25 June 2024, 06:12 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Seems like a lot to charge but pay it and enjoy the watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 01:11 AM   #19
Goldilock
"TRF" Member

One with a Patek should not complain about a 65 usd charge. Having a top luxury watch comes with high costs for sure.
Goldilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 08:26 PM   #20
geoach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
A rolex AD won't put on an aftermarket strap for you pay or not so at least they are willing. As noted, tell them fine but for 65 you expect it done by a watchmaker and there to be no damage to the watch.
not after market new from Patek Stern NY
Old 26 June 2024, 09:12 PM   #21
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
$65!?? Wow...In Japan, typically the charge if you do it at the official Patek Service Centre (only 1 in Japan) in Tokyo, it will cost you around $20.00, this includes more troublesome ones like a Nautilus as well. If you go back to the AD where you got the watch from, ofcourse it will be free but only if they have a Patek watch maker on duty.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 12:57 PM   #22
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

I don’t think $65 is outrageous at all. Maybe that’s just me, but I’d pay it without even thinking about it.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 01:30 PM   #23
NardinNut

Okay I guess I’ll be the standout (read “a-hole”) on this thread. Why let anyone other than yourself change a strap on a watch that cost five figures?? One of the great joys of watches is changing up the personality with a simple strap change. Why not get the correct tools ($150) and change it yourself? It’s not difficult with the right tools. You are obviously smart and accomplished elsewhere in life to be able to own a PP so you definitely have the ability (grey matter) to do it. Don’t let someone else potentially scratch your watch and charge you for it. Buy the Bergeon 7825 tweezers and you’ll be able to do the strap change on your own at home any time you like.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 08:19 PM   #24
geoach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Okay I guess I’ll be the standout (read “a-hole”) on this thread. Why let anyone other than yourself change a strap on a watch that cost five figures?? One of the great joys of watches is changing up the personality with a simple strap change. Why not get the correct tools ($150) and change it yourself? It’s not difficult with the right tools. You are obviously smart and accomplished elsewhere in life to be able to own a PP so you definitely have the ability (grey matter) to do it. Don’t let someone else potentially scratch your watch and charge you for it. Buy the Bergeon 7825 tweezers and you’ll be able to do the strap change on your own at home any time you like.
maybe I will
Old 28 June 2024, 09:29 PM   #25
1William

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
For the same reason I don't cut my own hair, change my own oil and the list goes on. I have all the tools and still don't change certain bracelets and straps as my skill set is not what my AD's is. The gentleman that does this work for me has been at it 35 years and is great. They don't charge me but of they did I would gladly pay.
Old 28 June 2024, 10:40 PM   #26
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
For the same reason I don't cut my own hair, change my own oil and the list goes on. I have all the tools and still don't change certain bracelets and straps as my skill set is not what my AD's is. The gentleman that does this work for me has been at it 35 years and is great. They don't charge me but of they did I would gladly pay.

Well I’d argue that changing a strap isn’t a skill set (unlike opening the watch up and working on the movement). You don’t need to do any extensive training or have extensive knowledge of said skill to perform it. It literally takes seconds to use the tweezers and drop the strap. But to each their own. No one was pointing out the option and what tool the OP needed to complete the task so I did.
Old 28 June 2024, 11:09 PM   #27
NardinNut

Quote:
maybe I will

Those tweezers work great. I suggest putting tape on the lugs the first few times you do it so you don’t have to worry about scratches. Just place the watch dial side down on a soft cloth, tweezer the spring bar, and the strap will drop down. Once you get a hang of the method it’s piece a of cake to drop the strap out without touching the lugs.
Old 28 June 2024, 11:31 PM   #28
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I would pay it and then mention that I did not find this very nice or classy.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 11:32 PM   #29
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

Seems cheap for an ultra luxury watch maker to charge for this. Swatch would do it for free and free battery changes.
BETRNSX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2024, 11:45 PM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It’s not a good look for a Patek AD to charge someone to change straps, kind of weak. They must not like you.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote