The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2024, 11:04 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Got the Call I've Waited Years for... and Passed

After years of waiting and begging with relatively moderate spend history compared to some of you ballers, I finally got the call for a stainless Daytona 126500LN. I thought I was dreaming. The only "problem" is that it was the black one.
I had emailed the manager a week prior to say how I've been waiting for a long time, got a big promotion, as well as having my first trip to Switzerland this Summer, and this was how I really wanted to celebrate. Funny how quickly something became available for me!
While I had the black on my list and do want it, I knew it would delay getting the white that I've been pining for, as I was told it would be a little bit before they'd sell me another SS Daytona. My SA convinced me to hold out for the white.
Although he couldn't guarantee when it would come for me, he promised that I'd be his first call when it was his turn to sell one. He said he was 80% sure it would come by the end of the year. It was reassuring to hear him say, "The last thing I want you to do is to look down and wish it were the white every time," and that his advice was to wait--saying it was a matter of "when," not "if." I made sure to tell him I could "literally vomit" if it's this time next year and I still don't have the white after I passed on the black.
I did, of course, go by to look at it to make sure I was making the right choice. I cannot express how hard it was to not buy that black. I never knew I had this much self control. I mean come on... the second hardest to get stainless Rolex, and it's right there at retail.... I know I would've worn the heck out of it and loved it, but I know I'd be still losing my mind waiting for the white, whereas I could easily wait for the black if I had the white.
My hope also is that it helped my credibility further to not look like a flipper since I could've had a $13k payday if those were my intentions.

The black definitely looks better in person than it does in pictures. I love the way the subdial rings reflect light. I didn't initially find it as legible as the white, but I'd probably get used to it. It's definitely a lot more understated than the white and oozes sporty class. Feels more like an IYKYK piece. I've tried on the white 126500 once recently, and it's the clear winner of the two in my book. That being said, having both would not feel redundant at all.
Versus the 116500, the new 12 series wears remarkably similar. The case sides being blocky is the most notable difference to me, but you don't even notice that until you look at it from the side. The dial feels a little more refined, and the bezel ring that I hated in the initial promo photos at release I actually don't mind at all; I think it looks quite good, but again... nowhere near as noticeable as I thought it would be. The 126 black is definitely better looking than the 116 black. whereas the white is about even for me. The watch doesn't really wear any thinner to me like it was made out to be initially, but all I had to compare it to was my 116508 YG Daytona. One final observation is how much more the crystal of my 116508 sticks out vs the 126500. I never thought that was a thick crystal until seeing it side by side.

Here's to hoping for the white soon! I just thought I'd share with my fellow enthusiasts what's made me lose some sleep lately! I know some of you prefer the black, but the white has my heart!
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:11 AM   #2
Tom Arai
Banned

Mistake.
Tom Arai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:13 AM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Arai View Post
Mistake.
I've got a buddy who told me at length how it was a mistake, but my SA seemed so confident he'll come through for me that I still think I made the right call. We'll see in the next several months!
Old 23 February 2024, 11:15 AM   #4
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
While most love the panda the black Daytona is a more sleek, elegant version. I have both 116 and while I love both for being different. Panda is more sporty. I feel the black can be used in any setting including formal occasions. I started with the Black Daytona then later the white. Since I only have the SD43 that is all black, the Black version can be a jack of all trades.

I am sure you will be over the moon when you get your Panda. Only time will tell is you end up craving the black version.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:15 AM   #5
ppierce
"TRF" Member

Um buy black trade for white or buy black sell and buy white. Not sure why this didn’t occur to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:17 AM   #6
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, that was not the best decision imho

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:18 AM   #7
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP may not want to trade, sell, just deal with AD.
OP, you made right decision, it is just a watch, and why buy something you don’t like a will doubt? We are talking about a lot of money here. I am sure your stars will align with AD and he will get you the white one and you will know you made the right decision.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:20 AM   #8
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

You made a big mistake. You really can't turn down a stainless steel Daytona from the AD and think anyone with half a brain is going to pat you on the back and say "wise choice". It's not.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:20 AM   #9
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce View Post
Um buy black trade for white or buy black sell and buy white. Not sure why this didn’t occur to you.

It did occur to me, and I had a really good deal that I could've done. However, I want to get the white at retail directly and was given incredibly high odds of that happening soon. As stated, I didn't want to delay that. And I didn't want to go on pretending to the AD that I didn't flip the black, as they claim they are super against flippers.
Old 23 February 2024, 11:23 AM   #10
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbone View Post
You made a big mistake. You really can't turn down a stainless steel Daytona from the AD and think anyone with half a brain is going to pat you on the back and say "wise choice". It's not.
If I bought the black and was waiting again for another 2-3 years for the white, I would've felt like I made a mistake, too.
In my present circumstance, if the white comes by the end of the year, I will be very much reaffirmed in my choice.
Old 23 February 2024, 11:29 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
If I bought the black and was waiting again for another 2-3 years for the white, I would've felt like I made a mistake, too.
In my present circumstance, if the white comes by the end of the year, I will be very much reaffirmed in my choice.

That could still happen….. Doh! Dummy!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:31 AM   #12
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP, you made right decision, it is just a watch, and why buy something you don’t like a will doubt? We are talking about a lot of money here. I am sure your stars will align with AD and he will get you the white one and you will know you made the right decision.
Thanks for your optimism and understanding where I'm coming from.
I definitely prefer to avoid the grey market and secondhand pieces wherever possible.

If the AD said the black was going to be the best I'd get and wasn't so encouraging to wait, no doubt I would've bought the black on the spot. But he from the beginning was saying to me how he thinks I should wait. Unless he's playing some sort of manipulative mind game, which almost definitely isn't the case, I think my chances are fairly high to get the panda soon.

I asked him several times to be honest what he thought the best move was, how much buying the black would delay getting the white, and how soon he thinks the could get me the white. Every answer he gave pointed to holding out for the panda!
Old 23 February 2024, 11:33 AM   #13
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That could still happen….. Doh! Dummy!

Kat

My SA said the probability of that being the case was slim to none as he was getting my hopes super high to expect the panda soon. But then again, these ADs can be sly!
Old 23 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #14
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Thanks for your optimism and understanding where I'm coming from.
I definitely prefer to avoid the grey market and secondhand pieces wherever possible.

If the AD said the black was going to be the best I'd get and wasn't so encouraging to wait, no doubt I would've bought the black on the spot. But he from the beginning was saying to me how he thinks I should wait. Unless he's playing some sort of manipulative mind game, which almost definitely isn't the case, I think my chances are fairly high to get the panda soon.

I asked him several times to be honest what he thought the best move was, how much buying the black would delay getting the white, and how soon he thinks the could get me the white. Every answer he gave pointed to holding out for the panda!

You know that some of us are just having a little fun, at your expense, right? I sincerely hope you get offered the white one soon.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:34 AM   #15
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

I was offered a SS Pepsi by my AD a couple years ago. Upon receiving the news, I was initially ecstatic. Steel Pepsi at retail!!!

However, I was quickly advised that if I took the SS version I would be removed from their list for the WG Meteorite version I had also been hoping for. At first, I accepted that condition and made an appt to pick up the SS BLRO the next day. After sleeping on it that night I knew I would probably always look at my Pepsi and wonder “what if.” Would I have a meteorite Pepsi if I had said no to the SS?!?!?

I called my SA that day to cancel my appointment and to pass on the steel.

About 6 months later I got the call for the WG Meteorite version.

I don’t think you made a mistake, OP.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:41 AM   #16
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Buy what you want. You didn’t make a mistake
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:42 AM   #17
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Bird in hand ….
I would have taken black
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:55 AM   #18
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
It did occur to me, and I had a really good deal that I could've done. However, I want to get the white at retail directly and was given incredibly high odds of that happening soon. As stated, I didn't want to delay that. And I didn't want to go on pretending to the AD that I didn't flip the black, as they claim they are super against flippers.

You made the right call. It will work out and soon.

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:55 AM   #19
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
OP, I applaud your line of thinking 100%. I did something similar 3 years back. Not only did they come thru in 4 months or so, the boutique realized I was not going to settle or flip. That ended up leading to 3 years of access to some excellent pieces and a long lasting friendship. Right on!
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:57 AM   #20
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Tough to turn down logistically when you do the numbers. Very noble and honest on your part hopefully the SA feels the same ! Good luck !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:58 AM   #21
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Super hard choice. I think my AD would have told me it wouldn’t affect a future offering but reality and imo it takes a bit to get another stainless Daytona.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:14 PM   #22
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

I think your SA was honest with you about getting you a white version this year. No incentive to lie in this context.

Your biggest risk factor is your SA (aka your advocate with the manager) quitting or getting fired before you get the white.

If you lose your advocate, all bets are off.

I bet you bump this thread with a happy ending to the story before the end of the year though.

Rooting for you.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:14 PM   #23
GBD
"TRF" Member

It's just a watch, and in this case a watch you didn't want. Not a mistake to turn it down.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:18 PM   #24
Mystro

It doesn’t if it was the wrong call or right cali, he made it so no sense in dwelling.
I am sure lots of people turn down the $3k cash for what in the mystery box.
Old 23 February 2024, 12:28 PM   #25
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Good call, OP. I made the same move and was rewarded nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #26
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
100% agree with this - if there is an 'upvote' button that I can't find, my apologies for adding another post
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #27
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
You'll do fine I think. If the AD was willing to offer you one they will offer you the other. Shows them you aren't in it to flip.

Also you don't want to buy the black and trade it for a white and have a watch from your AD of choice floating in the resale market anyway.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:38 PM   #28
Dave O
"TRF" Member

OP, you did the right thing. If the white is your grail, wait for it. As you stated, had you gone for the black it would be quite some time before you would have an opportunity for a white at the same AD. Your SA is being open and honest with you, which is very refreshing. My SA has told me similar to what your SA told you. That is, they can't just allocate you all of the desirable watches that come in. Once you get yours, it's to the back of the line for the next one on your list. So you really have to prioritize what you want the most.

Many of the replies don't necessarily understand the nuances of this. Had you purchased it, flipped it, and purchased the white via the grey market you would have pretty much ruined your reputation with your SA and most likely never gotten another watch from them. And before someone says "how would the AD ever know?" Well, they may wonder why you never wear it into the store and you definitely wouldn't be able to wear the white one there.

FWIIW, I recently received my grail from my AD with just a little over a four month wait. Had I gone with something else, that was lower on my wish list, it would have been quite some time before I was allocated this beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 5274 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:43 PM   #29
JRique
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
It's just a watch, and in this case a watch you didn't want. Not a mistake to turn it down.
Its a watch with 13k premium, hope that this decision turns to be good for the OP, but no, you cant pass on a SS Daytona, never!

Could just simple traded the black for the white paying a little premium.
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:51 PM   #30
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I would call your SA tomorrow and tell them you slept on it and will take the black dial. Just trade it with a reputable dealer for the white. The white might never come. You got the call its yours, its a no brainer
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote