The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 September 2024, 10:47 AM   #1
texan_guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & Explorer2
Would Original Papers Help at AD?

I have the original papers for a watch I own which came from an AD in a city that's a few hours away. I'm looking to trade in my watch for another and wondering if presenting the original papers would help getting "picked" for the new watch at the same store. I've heard trading in a watch alone helps but wondering if this would up the ante, so to speak.
texan_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 10:53 AM   #2
mpkRolex
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_guy View Post
I have the original papers for a watch I own which came from an AD in a city that's a few hours away. I'm looking to trade in my watch for another and wondering if presenting the original papers would help getting "picked" for the new watch at the same store. I've heard trading in a watch alone helps but wondering if this would up the ante, so to speak.
A trade in would not get you "picked" for a new watch of your choice. But if there is one that they are willing to sell you which may not be your choice, then sure it would work.

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:00 AM   #3
texan_guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II & Explorer2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
A trade in would not get you "picked" for a new watch of your choice. But if there is one that they are willing to sell you which may not be your choice, then sure it would work.
Very helpful. Thanks.
texan_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:17 AM   #4
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500
I think if you have a good relationship with the AD, then the papers won’t really matter much. Plus if it’s from the same store or group they should have a record of you and the purchase in their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:22 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

It can’t hurt! Only help
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:59 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Papers likely being expired? Unless it’s vintage then not sure AD would care.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 12:43 PM   #7
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
I spoke with an ad about being offered a watch from the safe if I purchased a Cellini that was in the display case. It was either the manager or the owner of the ad and he told me that he would never support such a thing happening in his store. i just wonder if the managers or the owners of the ad know what the salespeople are promoting or doing. I've dealt with a few sales people in my life that were less than honest and didn't seem to have much integrity. i have enough faith in humanity to believe that these are few and far between but nonetheless they are still out there.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 12:59 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
As a trade-in your watch with papers is worth more than your watch without papers so definitely include them. As for getting picked I’m confident that it makes no difference at all.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 01:55 PM   #9
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Op, include everything you have for the watch, this will get the best offer from whomever you decide to sell it or trade it too. This will not help with an allocation of a new piece.
If your AD is part of the Rolex CPO program. They want your watch for resale.

Give it a try.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 05:34 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
i just wonder if the managers or the owners of the ad know what the salespeople are promoting or doing.
If they don't, you can look forward to some fire sale bargains when the store closes.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 06:13 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Have to agree this so called AD relationship stuff gets more strange every day,ADs are just shops that sells watches nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 08:56 PM   #12
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Of course the AD would care, it means the watch they have bought as a trade in is far more sellable, as it comes with its original paperwork.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 08:59 PM   #13
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree this so called AD relationship stuff gets more strange every day,ADs are just shops that sells watches nothing more.
I think you may have misunderstood the point Peter, an AD will look more favourably on a watch being traded in that was complete with paperwork, surely? It means the watch is easier to verify and sell to the next owner if the paperwork comes with the watch.
Old 9 September 2024, 09:01 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Include it all.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 09:02 PM   #15
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_guy View Post
Trading in a watch definitely helps as they get the money from both sales… I have first hand experience of this with my local AD in London…. When I put one of mine up as a trade, all of a sudden the “wait list” got a lot shorter… having the papers won’t help you get picked but may increase the trade in value that you are offered.
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 09:30 PM   #16
77T

If the AD is participating in the CPO program then the original papers are meaningless for a watch they take as a trade-in. Because they issue a CPO set of collateral, the old watch's paraphernalia are not passed forward.

If the AD is not a CPO program member, then it could help them set a higher price in a vintage resale if it was a full set. However, the OP will be offered not much (if any) more value at trade-in.

And trading in a watch, as many have already said, has little to do with one's place in queue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:47 PM   #17
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If the AD is participating in the CPO program then the original papers are meaningless for a watch they take as a trade-in. Because they issue a CPO set of collateral, the old watch's paraphernalia are not passed forward.

If the AD is not a CPO program member, then it could help them set a higher price in a vintage resale if it was a full set. However, the OP will be offered not much (if any) more value at trade-in.

And trading in a watch, as many have already said, has little to do with one's place in queue.

I’m
Not sure about that. There are many cpo watches that come with original boxes and papers
Old 10 September 2024, 12:09 AM   #18
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

So I'm understanding your point correctly, are you saying watches bought on the CPO scheme do not normally come with original paperwork?
Old 10 September 2024, 12:13 AM   #19
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
My experience is that you won’t be able to trade a watch for a coveted piece.
If an AD does a trade, it’s normally on a less desired reference.
And don’t be shocked at how little you will be offered for your trade.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:14 AM   #20
77T

Would Original Papers Help at AD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG1982 View Post
So I'm understanding your point correctly, are you saying watches bought on the CPO scheme do not normally come with original paperwork?
No...not CPO...but an AD selling pre-owned could deliver original full sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I’m

Not sure about that. There are many cpo watches that come with original boxes and papers
No, not CPO.

Old 10 September 2024, 12:22 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is not accurate. CPO watches are priced for sale accordingly depending on whether or not they include original box and documentation. Also about two months ago when I traded in a 14060m against a 116600 I was dinged $520 off the original quoted trade-in credit because while I had the box and sales receipt I did not have the warranty card I thought I had. This is part of the reason why you will see identical CPO models on the same website at different prices. The geek details have perceived value.
Old 10 September 2024, 12:25 AM   #22
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
This is not accurate. CPO watches are priced for sale accordingly depending on whether or not they include original box and documentation. Also about two months ago when I traded in a 14060m against a 116600 I was dinged $520 off the original quoted trade-in credit because while I had the box and sales receipt I did not have the warranty card I thought I had. This is part of the reason why you will see identical CPO models on the same website at different prices. The geek details have perceived value.

Please take a closer look at what Rolex does for CPO.

What your AD did was despicable.

Old 10 September 2024, 12:25 AM   #23
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think this is accurate at all. Why would an AD throw away the original paperwork? Makes no sense at all.
Old 10 September 2024, 12:30 AM   #24
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well, blow me down with a feather...

I've just checked the listings on the CPO watches at my local AD, it specifies a box but no mention of the original paperwork. This surprises me greatly, and the original papers may be supplied as part of the transaction, but it's not advertised as such.
Old 10 September 2024, 01:10 AM   #25
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It does that for CPO, but they also give you the box and original paperwork or warranty card if it was sold to the AD that way. I went to a dealer with CPO (bucherer) and they specifically told me which pieces I was inquiring about had the original warranty card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 September 2024, 01:17 AM   #26
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have. I did.

When discussing the trade I mistakenly told the AD I had the box, receipt and warranty card (I bought the watch used in 2016). When it came down to the transaction I could not produce the warranty card as discussed so they adjusted their offer accordingly. So maybe that makes me the despicable one. Even so they gave me 60% more than a paid for it in 2016. It was a painless transaction.
Old 10 September 2024, 01:28 AM   #27
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
chance is slim
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 01:54 AM   #28
77T

Well I expect many people have varying and different experiences.

For the avoidance of doubt, the policy I quoted in the website screenshot is non-negotiable for Rolex CPO SKUs.

If anyone has received the original collateral, regardless of its type, then that watch was either:
1) Not actually CPO and you'll know because you didn't get the white seal.
2) AD derivative where they have their own certified servicing center.

Rolex absolutely doesn't ship that old collateral when they do the CPO themselves.

Old 10 September 2024, 02:06 AM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well I expect many people have varying and different experiences.

For the avoidance of doubt, the policy I quoted in the website screenshot is non-negotiable for Rolex CPO SKUs.

If anyone has received the original collateral, regardless of its type, then that watch was either:
1) Not actually CPO and you'll know because you didn't get the white seal.
2) AD derivative where they have their own certified servicing center.

Rolex absolutely doesn't ship that old collateral when they do the CPO themselves.

We’ll, purely in the spirit of spirited dialogue if an AD buys a watch for CPO and services that watch to CPO standards and then sends that watch back to Rolex for CPO verification and new warranty card, pouch, box and white tag then what is there to prohibit the AD from reuniting that watch with its original associated collateral paraphernalia upon return and presentation for sale?
Old 10 September 2024, 02:15 AM   #30
77T

Quote:
We’ll, purely in the spirit of spirited dialogue if an AD buys a watch for CPO and services that watch to CPO standards and then sends that watch back to Rolex for CPO verification and new warranty card, pouch, box and white tag then what is there to prohibit the AD from reuniting that watch with its original associated collateral paraphernalia upon return and presentation for sale?

Good question
Only their scruples