The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Blasphemy and sacrilege . . .

So i've been thinking lately about selling a few of my "hot" rolex models to fund a Patek (which i've never owned). Now seems as good a time as any with the ridiculous prices people seem to be willing to pay for a mid range luxury brand SS watch. Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex but this market is just silly IMO. For those of you who own and enjoy both Patek and Rolex, would you hesitate to cut loose a few of your Rolex to fund say an Aquanaut? I don't think I'm ready to spend Nautilus money on a brand I am just dipping my toes in the water with. Curious to hear any pros or cons from those who have made similar shifts in their collections.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

No Patek large enough for me, guess I dodged a bullet
Snipe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Wismo
Banned

I have been contemplating the same thing.

Am interested in responses.
Wismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:05 PM   #4
kits73
"TRF" Member

Following this thread. I’m curious as well.
kits73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

So the Rolex market valuation is “silly”, but trading those “silly” valued references into a Patek reference that is trading @ over 2.5x retail itself, is not reengaging silliness?

It’s not like Rolex has blown up and Patek is trading at Retail..unless you’re able to buy one @ AD, which based on their own silly prices, doesn’t seem to be easy
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
If you like Patek, sure why not. If you are just doing it to do it then maybe reconsider but you mentioned you like Patek.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:12 PM   #7
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
So the Rolex market valuation is “silly”, but trading those “silly” valued references into a Patek reference that is trading @ over 2.5x retail itself, is not reengaging silliness?
Bingo.

One "silly" for a bigger "silly".
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:17 PM   #8
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Which Aquanaut are you thinking? if 5167 then i wouldn’t do it, the watch is a bit underwhelming for me due to its thinness and weight. i prefer more hefty feel.

if 5164 or 5968 then maybe, depending on how much premium you pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:22 PM   #9
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

I sold a couple and am shifting more towards Patek. I’ve been super fortunate and an AD has treated me well. Have a 5726A coming and a 5968A coming late this year.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:22 PM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I didn’t like the Aquanaut or Nautilus enough to buy one 20 years ago when they were languishing in the case and I don’t want one now. Do you really like/want one, or are you just trading one hype for another?
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:26 PM   #11
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Personally no, just based on aesthetic, I think both Pateks you mention are ugly watches. If they were made by Rolex and available at retail, I wouldn't go near one.

Obviously that's a personal opinion though. If you can sell your Rolexs for over retail and buy the Patek at retail then its worth considering. If not you are not really taking advantage of the timing as your post suggests.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Lets forget price and market value, etc...

Consider durability of the watch in your lifestyle. Rolex durability is their number 1 reason they get worn more places. They just are not a fussy watch and can be taken into environments you just don’t know what you may be doing (think vacations).
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:28 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Over the years had about 10 Pateks... hard pass today. Wait and get an FP Journe, you'll thank me later.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:32 PM   #14
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I've been on the hunt for a 5164(at retail) for several years now. I'm inching closer; I think. If the call does happen, I may be in your same situation. But the question is, which one would have to go. That's the problem.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #15
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I know Rolex SS are hyped but PP takes the crown for being super hyped. At least 50k worth. MSRP or bust...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #16
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s not like Rolex has blown up and Patek is trading at Retail..unless you’re able to buy one @ AD, which based on their own silly prices, doesn’t seem to be easy
Fair point. I don’t know the valuations and MSRP of Pateks as well as I do Rolex. I was just perusing current listings on watchrecon. You make a great point.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:34 PM   #17
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I have a 5167, bought it pre-owned about 5 years ago, pre hype at a very good price, on a bracelet. Then I got the PP rubber strap and deployant clasp ($1,700) and now I have the classic Aquanaut. It’s ok.
As someone said, it’s a bit underwhelming, not as robust as any Rolex, non hacking movement, but it’s a Patek, so people drool for one. I wouldn’t trade any of my Rolex’s to fund it.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:38 PM   #18
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

I’ve been thinking the something similar, but I’d be selling a guitar to fund a Patek. I’ve developed a slight obsession with the 5212A.
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:39 PM   #19
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I didn’t like the Aquanaut or Nautilus enough to buy one 20 years ago when they were languishing in the case and I don’t want one now. Do you really like/want one, or are you just trading one hype for another?
I enjoy quite a few timepieces and have always liked patek’s simpler designs. I wasn’t aware there was a ton of “hype” on the watch as I frequent this forum, omega forums and WUS only. I have no social media and really no frame of reference of what’s being propped up in superficial horological pursuits outside of Rolex. That said, you’re talking to a guy that wears flip flops, sweats and beat up t-shirts daily. I don’t care too much about hype of any kind. I drive a car I can buy one of every week bc it suits me great. Just liked the Patek and was interested more in hearing from those who have had experience with them rather than a deep dive into motives which just seems boring.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:40 PM   #20
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
As stated above, so many more interesting brands available for Aquanaut money. Check out some of the cool stuff the independents are doing.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:41 PM   #21
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I have a 5167, bought it pre-owned about 5 years ago, pre hype at a very good price, on a bracelet. Then I got the PP rubber strap and deployant clasp ($1,700) and now I have the classic Aquanaut. It’s ok.
As someone said, it’s a bit underwhelming, not as robust as any Rolex, non hacking movement, but it’s a Patek, so people drool for one. I wouldn’t trade any of my Rolex’s to fund it.
Clearly I need to track one down locally and see how I feel about it. This is great feedback. I do prefer a more robust watch. Sounds like an AP ROO may better scratch the current itch.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:45 PM   #22
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If that's what you want to do then my advice is why not sell the Rolex and get a Patek. At the end of the day it comes down to you making yourself happy.
Old 25 May 2021, 01:04 PM   #23
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
I have both PP and Rolex.

I think you need three watches: a DD 40, YG, then a sport PP Aquanaut or Rolex Sub, And a RG PP Calatrava or other.

or a solid gold Nautilus as one watch
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:09 PM   #24
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Fair point. I don’t know the valuations and MSRP of Pateks as well as I do Rolex. I was just perusing current listings on watchrecon. You make a great point.
Unfortunately if you are interested in Patek, AP, Journe, RM..etc..the market is too and that makes these brands white hot and trade well above retail, thus neutering the trade value of Rolex and making those brands hard to acquire at retail for those brands.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:20 PM   #25
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately if you are interested in Patek, AP, Journe, RM..etc..the market is too and that makes these brands white hot and trade well above retail, thus neutering the trade value of Rolex and making those brands hard to acquire at retail for those brands.
Didn’t realize that as I don’t know the market history at all on those pieces. I guess this is a non starter in that case. Oh well!
Old 25 May 2021, 01:22 PM   #26
britxt0
Banned

I don't see anything wrong in going for what one really likes despite the cost.
If you can afford to get that Patek/Rolex/Astronaut it doesn't matter, just get it if it makes you happy.
Yes, some pay ridiculous amounts to get it but then again that's worth the price for happiness.
britxt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:37 PM   #27
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Spot on

Quote:

Same market, no gain anywhere.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:39 PM   #28
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britxt0 View Post
I don't see anything wrong in going for what one really likes despite the cost.
If you can afford to get that Patek/Rolex/Astronaut it doesn't matter, just get it if it makes you happy.
Yes, some pay ridiculous amounts to get it but then again that's worth the price for happiness.
I try not to buy into frenzied markets as a general rule. I didn’t realize they were trading so high over retail. Kind of a non starter for me. I’ll keep my overvalued rolexes for now. Lol. I don’t need anything 2.5x retail bad.
Old 25 May 2021, 03:10 PM   #29
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
If Rolex references are vintage or discontinued models then I would have hard time parting with them.
The idea of letting go many iconic watches to find just one watch doesn’t sound to me unless the I don’t like and don’t wear them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2021, 06:43 PM   #30
AG23
"TRF" Member

It may be worth looking at other PP’s that aren’t as hot and see if one appeals to you. In your position I’d happily dump the Rolex for a 5524 or any number of Lange.

Still, if keeping what you have is worst case, then that’s a fine place to be!

Last edited by AG23; 25 May 2021 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Awful sentence construction...
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote