The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2007, 01:31 AM   #1
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Are RSC Customer Service people required...........

I have a non-sensical question to ask.

At Rolex Canada, they employ young women to run the service counter. They fill out the paper work, take your watch and walk it into the lab to give it to the technicians. They act as a "buffer" between the customer and management.

Are these employees required to purchase a Rolex watch for their job?

Do RSC's have "loaner's" that they give to CS employees to wear only on the job while on RSC property?

I'd find it odd being serviced by someone wearing an Omega.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 01:36 AM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Are Meredes showroom staff all given Benzes to drive?
Old 18 April 2007, 01:52 AM   #3
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Not sure about Mercedes (not my type of car anyway) but all the sales staff at the BMW dealer I go to are given cars to drive.

In any case, it's not relevant to the question asked. IMO people working at an RSC would not be "required" to "purchase" a Rolex for their job, but I don't know for sure.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:01 AM   #4
Kris
Banned

Ok, then forget the purchasing part.

Then does RSC give it's employee's loaner watches?

I don't think the question possed is that bad. I know the GM plant in one of the cities here requires that if employees wish to park up front and close to the building, they must be driving a GM model. If not, you have to park in another lot behind and far away from the building.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:07 AM   #5
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Ok, then forget the purchasing part.

Then does RSC give it's employee's loaner watches?

I don't think the question possed is that bad. I know the GM plant in one of the cities here requires that if employees wish to park up front and close to the building, they must be driving a GM model. If not, you have to park in another lot behind and far away from the building.
Okay - I see you edited your question. It would not be unreasonable for Rolex to "loan" employees watches. But you appear to indicate that you were served by someone at the RSC wearing an Omega, right?

If that's the case then my gut would be that they don't loan the people out front a Rolex - otherwise she would have been wearing one. If you are that interested, why not ask them?
Old 18 April 2007, 02:16 AM   #6
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
I would bet that they probably offer very good deals if the employees wish to purchase one. As mentioned about the Mercedes dealership, my buddy's dad was working at one for awhile, and they did offer very large incentives to the employees to buy a Mercedes.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 02:22 AM   #7
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Okay, seriously this time. Given that advertising at the RSC is preaching to the converted (we are talking about the RSC and not an AD, right?), there's not all that mileage in providing RSC staff with Rolexes. I'd expect that they'd get a staff discount, though.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:36 AM   #8
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, seriously this time. Given that advertising at the RSC is preaching to the converted (we are talking about the RSC and not an AD, right?), there's not all that mileage in providing RSC staff with Rolexes. I'd expect that they'd get a staff discount, though.
True, but I will admit that I would probably be put off a little if someone there was wearing a different watch brand. I don't think something like that would turn me away from the brand altogether, but it certainly wouldn't help.
Old 18 April 2007, 03:56 AM   #9
AdamB

My AD paid around 50% of retail for his Daytona, I would expect the same if not better would be available to Rolex employees.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 04:04 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Interesting topic, actually.

I know for a fact that the Sales Manager at Watches of Switzerland (which does NOT have the Rolex agency), wears an Explorer 1.

By the same token, quite a few of the staff at Mansor's sport Rolex watches, but some of the ladies there wear some unknown jewellery brands.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
It`s not a requirement for Rolex staff to wear Rolexes, loan watches are not usually provided and when I have seen loan watches provided they were Tudors. Staff do get a discount, but are restricted as to how many they can buy.
Staff even in the Geneva facilities don`t all wear Rolexes either, I noticed a few other brands the last time I was there.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
One of the sales staff at an AD I go to said they get thier Rolex at cost -25%. Which explains why one of the minimum wage plus commisions staff was wearing a solid rose gold Day/Date.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 06:03 AM   #13
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
From my bckground i do deal with companies that provide "loaners" and "discounts" and "samples" to employees. However as a tax attorney i can say that these practices are becoming unusual now as there are significant tax consequences to companies so they dont anymore. If rolex provides a discount to an employee or a free watch then they would like all other companies pay a "fringe benefit tax" on gifts, discounts to employees. This is more so where the business is a non-profit trust, as non-profit trusts by general trust law are not supposed to provide priviledges to employees, family members etc. There are some loopholes but not many these days. Gone are the days of getting something nice if you work for a cool company. If you do get something, trust me your salary will be adjusted accordingly (this is what i advise employers)
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 06:23 AM   #14
Kris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Okay - I see you edited your question. It would not be unreasonable for Rolex to "loan" employees watches. But you appear to indicate that you were served by someone at the RSC wearing an Omega, right?

If that's the case then my gut would be that they don't loan the people out front a Rolex - otherwise she would have been wearing one. If you are that interested, why not ask them?
When I was RSC Canada, I was being tended to by a young girl there. I did notice she had a watch on, however, as I was there with more pressing concerns, I didn't give the brand of her watch much thought.

I did notice when she was giving me a "bogus" answer with regards to my issue, she was more than happy to put my SD on her wrist to explain it She seemed a little too eager.

I can't see how allowing CS people who deal with clientele and the public within the confines of the actual RSC not be given a "loaner" watch. In the end, when you have employee turnover, you just keep turning over the watch. Sort of like a piece of "equipment" you get to borrow while on the job.

I'm not suggesting that the CS employees be able to wear the watch home. The watch at the end of the day would go into RSC vault.
Old 18 April 2007, 07:14 AM   #15
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

I guess I just couldn't imagine having acces to the discount that Rolex employees get, and not buying one!
Old 18 April 2007, 08:27 AM   #16
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
The lady helping me out at the Dallas RSC was wearing a Rolex. I also noticed some Rolex employees in the elevators wearing Rolexes as well.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 12:38 PM   #17
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I asked that question to the 2 ladies who work the counter at the RSC in KL. They state they really like Rolex, but can not afford. Since your average receptionist makes about $500 a month, that is understandable.

At the Omega Botique store in Bangkok though, the girls that work there told me they are given an Omega to wear since they are an employee. They can take it home, wear it all the time, etc.. But, if they leave the job they have to give it back. All the Sales clerks as well in the Omega Botique in Hong Kong were wearing Omegas. Again about big watches, the petite hot looking sales girls at the Omega store in Hong Kong all liked wearing full size Speedmasters! (of course those girls could wear about any watch and it would look good!)
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 10:35 PM   #18
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Are these employees required to purchase a Rolex watch for their job?
I don't know if it is a requirement, but I asked the receptionist at Rolex Melbourne this very question.

She just smiled and told me that the price quoted to her was too good to refuse. She wore a mid-sized SS Date-Just.

Quote:
I know the sales staff are given C-Class sedans.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote