The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #1
fiosity
Banned

Is now really the time to buy?

With all the great incomings recently, I called a local AD asking if it may be easier now to obtain some of the pieces I’ve been wanting. He said to the contrary, Rolex has been closed for a bit and they haven’t received any pieces in weeks. I take it that the I comings are from ADs who have been keeping hot pieces in their safes and releasing them now that they need the sales. Thoughts?
Old 17 April 2020, 05:17 AM   #2
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

The time to buy is when new watches can be bargained below MSRP. Be prepared to spend more if you can't wait that long.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think supply of new watches will be very slow through year end. Rolex will lose 6 weeks of production or more and cannot make that up and I think they will moderate supply until they can gauge market demand to prevent brand devaluation and discounting.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:41 AM   #4
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
For me, I am not planning to make any large luxury purchases until things settle down. Being retired, my income stream is secure, but of course the economy affects everyone.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #5
Rowlf
Banned

From a Private Seller? Yes! Deals are abundant.
From a Grey? Not yet. They’re not dealing. Yet.
From an AD? Maybe. Depends on your location and region’s long term plan.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #6
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

yes
Old 17 April 2020, 05:48 AM   #7
drrd
"TRF" Member

The time to buy is clearly not now because everything's shut.

When all the shops re-open and Rolex flood them with a ton of product then we will see if the public have the cash and the nerve to buy like before.

If sales are poor because everyone's either broke or sitting on their money then that's the time to buy.

As far as greys go, who knows. Depends how they run their ship so you'll only find out one-to-one when you speak to them.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #8
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
From a Private Seller? Yes! Deals are abundant.
From a Grey? Not yet. They’re not dealing. Yet.
From an AD? Maybe. Depends on your location and region’s long term plan.

+1
This
Old 17 April 2020, 05:52 AM   #9
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Just like any market, one never knows.

Personally, if something I want is for sale, and the price "seems reasonable" - I buy it if funds are available. And I don't look back to see if my timing could have been better (it always could have been). Over the years, I've bought at MSRP, below it and above it. From AD's, resellers and private parties.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:58 AM   #10
GMT Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I think supply of new watches will be very slow through year end. Rolex will lose 6 weeks of production or more and cannot make that up and I think they will moderate supply until they can gauge market demand to prevent brand devaluation and discounting.
I'm not sure I agree Bob.

Whether or not they can make up for 6 weeks of lost production is irrelevant to my mind. The demand simply won't be there in 6 weeks time going forward.

Also, even though they may moderate supply to prevent devaluation, MSRP is all they can realistically control. The market will determine the price and thus discounts that may be forthcoming.

Obviously I could be completely wrong on both counts.
Old 17 April 2020, 05:59 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The time to buy is when you want to buy it and are able to do so. It could be at the low point of a price dip, assuming you are buying the watch and not the dip.

If I'm hanging out for a bargain, I have to ask myself what I actually want - a bargain or the watch? There may be better bargains available, and not necessarily on watches.
Old 17 April 2020, 06:01 AM   #12
Amazing Lady
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiosity View Post
With all the great incomings recently, I called a local AD asking if it may be easier now to obtain some of the pieces I’ve been wanting. He said to the contrary, Rolex has been closed for a bit and they haven’t received any pieces in weeks. I take it that the I comings are from ADs who have been keeping hot pieces in their safes and releasing them now that they need the sales. Thoughts?
Your last statement is correct. An AD called me with several for sale right before the dealer had to close. It was my thought that they wanted to very quickly sell the hot models that were being held in the back.
Old 17 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #13
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Depends on your budget
Old 17 April 2020, 06:13 AM   #14
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiosity View Post
He said to the contrary, Rolex has been closed for a bit and they haven’t received any pieces in weeks.
In other words “Get away from me, kid, ‘ya bother me!” lol
Old 17 April 2020, 06:14 AM   #15
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I'm not sure I agree Bob.

Whether or not they can make up for 6 weeks of lost production is irrelevant to my mind. The demand simply won't be there in 6 weeks time going forward.

Also, even though they may moderate supply to prevent devaluation, MSRP is all they can realistically control. The market will determine the price and thus discounts that may be forthcoming.

Obviously I could be completely wrong on both counts.
I agree with you but on the other hand I do wonder if people will look to buy things that they’ve wanted because they now feel life is too short, things they’ve felt deprived of whilst in lockdown, new cars and other luxuries etc and also perhaps spend on items to substitute things that they still can’t have like their annual holiday abroad. Who knows?
Old 17 April 2020, 06:14 AM   #16
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have put out the word that I am a buyer of new Daytonas for 10K. So far not a sound. But I am patient.
Old 17 April 2020, 06:23 AM   #17
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

The craziness we have witnessed over the last 3 years is not coming back anytime soon - if in short term Rolex is not producing new watches, there will be abundance of pre-loved ones at the greys.
The recovery will be slow for luxury items, obviously there will be more important things to spend one’s money on for a year or two.
For a watch enthusiast, next couple of years will be happy hunting time !
(I know I won’t be in a hurry to buy the next one)
Old 17 April 2020, 06:49 AM   #18
SeaDuba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
I agree with you but on the other hand I do wonder if people will look to buy things that they’ve wanted because they now feel life is too short, things they’ve felt deprived of whilst in lockdown, new cars and other luxuries etc and also perhaps spend on items to substitute things that they still can’t have like their annual holiday abroad. Who knows?
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this. If I get a call from my local AD that the Explorer 1 I want is in, I'll be right over.
Old 17 April 2020, 06:54 AM   #19
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDuba View Post
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this. If I get a call from my local AD that the Explorer 1 I want is in, I'll be right over.
I’m down for BLRO in June for my birthday, I doubt it will arrive now but if it does I’ll be having it. I want it because I want to wear it as I wear my old 16710 quite often and I’d like it’s younger brother but also I have no worries about paying MRSP for it because I don’t think it will ever lose a lot if anything at all if I had to sell it for whatever reason.
Old 17 April 2020, 07:30 AM   #20
Alo(ha)waii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
The time to buy is clearly not now because everything's shut.

When all the shops re-open and Rolex flood them with a ton of product then we will see if the public have the cash and the nerve to buy like before.

If sales are poor because everyone's either broke or sitting on their money then that's the time to buy.

As far as greys go, who knows. Depends how they run their ship so you'll only find out one-to-one when you speak to them.
We all know that ain't happening. There's waiting lists everywhere & I can guarantee that the people on the list would buy if they got the call. If people pass, I doubt they'd even get to #5 on the list before it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

Personally, if something I want is for sale, and the price "seems reasonable" - I buy it if funds are available. And I don't look back to see if my timing could have been better (it always could have been). Over the years, I've bought at MSRP, below it and above it. From AD's, resellers and private parties.
This is on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I have put out the word that I am a buyer of new Daytonas for 10K. So far not a sound. But I am patient.
You'll be waiting for awhile. But hopefully your Daytona will come sooner than later! Best of luck.
Old 17 April 2020, 07:40 AM   #21
casavova
"TRF" Member

Daytona ! That sweet Daytona everyone’s wanted and how cheap it will go to $10k
Remember , everything is driven by demand
This one is at above mentioned price will be so lucky in 100years to find that broken down person who will let it go to a pawn shop for $15k and they’ll discounted to $10k for lack of buyers??? Just a thought !
Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2020, 09:16 AM   #22
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would tend to agree with this.
Old 17 April 2020, 09:18 AM   #23
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Yes, ADs have stock in their safes ... who knew
Old 17 April 2020, 09:37 AM   #24
Wck88
Banned

Anytime is the time for me
Old 17 April 2020, 09:59 AM   #25
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Nope. Give it 6 months...
Old 17 April 2020, 12:53 PM   #26
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post

Interesting. A bit same with me. When I get into the joy of the hunt, price/value is certainly something I focus on.

But years later (after continually enjoying the watch, trip or whatever), I can't even tell you how much I paid. And when I look at the receipt, I'm often surprised. (Sometimes because I paid lower. Other times because I paid higher.)

So within reason/responsibility, I share your general approach. Cheers.
Old 17 April 2020, 12:54 PM   #27
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Wait a few more weeks - prices will be lower and steeper discounts or more leverage with ADs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2020, 12:55 PM   #28
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The time to buy is when you want to buy it and are able to do so. It could be at the low point of a price dip, assuming you are buying the watch and not the dip.

If I'm hanging out for a bargain, I have to ask myself what I actually want - a bargain or the watch? There may be better bargains available, and not necessarily on watches.
Nicely said.
Old 17 April 2020, 01:02 PM   #29
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I don't see any reason to buy. 1/7 Americans are unemployed but public equities are barely impacted (all things considered). We will feel it soon once the initial joys of stimulus wear off, businesses spend through PPP, individuals spend their checks, etc...
Old 17 April 2020, 01:26 PM   #30
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The economic impact will trickle down soon enough. To answer your question OP, now as in today, maybe not. Now as in the next 60 days, probably yes. As sales dry up, greys have to make payroll and rent, Private individuals go a few weeks without income, you will start to see the effects across the board, including watches.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Closed Thread