The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Welshmartin
"TRF" Member

Aquanaut daily wearer

Hi everyone, need some help recently started investing in watches and I really like the aquanaut, and considering buying one. Does anyone wear one as a daily wearer, and are there safe to wear around the streets of London? I mean are they understated to the untrained eye? I work in office so shouldn’t really bump it. Does anyone wear theirs to the gym and beach etc
Welshmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:58 AM   #2
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

It definitely should make a fine daily, as long as you don't mind scratches to the bezel.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Investing?
Old 30 October 2019, 08:36 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I wear mine every day and it has not got any noticeable scratches yet, although I'm sure it will. The rubber band bangs against a few things, which is good I guess. I don't baby it but I don't abuse it like I do my Rolex Sub, which I now wear at night and to bed (so they both get wrist time).

As far as security concerns, at first glance it looks like a Timex, so I can't imagine a mugger being attracted to it, at least in America, although I hear your London criminals are more highbrow and allegedly can recognize a Patek at 50 paces. The watch looks so nondescript that when I called to add it to my homeowners insurance, the lady brought up an image of the 5167 and could not believe it cost so much. Yeah, she told me that!

Some personal history: I am 70 yrs old and have never been mugged or robbed in my life and I am not a big, mean-looking guy, although there is always a first time.

I have owned mine for about a month now and love every minute of it.

Good luck whtever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshmartin View Post
Hi everyone, need some help recently started investing in watches and I really like the aquanaut, and considering buying one. Does anyone wear one as a daily wearer, and are there safe to wear around the streets of London? I mean are they understated to the untrained eye? I work in office so shouldn’t really bump it. Does anyone wear theirs to the gym and beach etc
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 08:53 AM   #5
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Strike investing and then 100% great daily.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Investing?
Safe?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 09:13 AM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Perfect daily...more comfy and less noticeable than a submariner
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:01 AM   #8
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Approved for purchase. Not your portfolio
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:04 AM   #9
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I wear mine in a two watch rotation so it gets a lot of wearing time. One bezel scratch now but I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:07 AM   #10
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Can 100% be used as a daily wearer I love mine. Don't buy it as an investment put that money in an etf or in a real investing strategy.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:12 AM   #11
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

It’s lightweight, not flashy, and easy to wear. So it makes a fine daily wearer if that’s what you want it for.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 05:33 PM   #12
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Lightweight, stealthy and great for daily wear.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Absolutey
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 06:47 PM   #14
watchnerdofficial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Batman
Hi Guys
There are two aquanauts you should consider as a daily wear, the 5167 (date and time) and the 5167 (Travel time). Going with the steel version is wiser for a daily wear as its more rugged than the Gold. I must warn you that the case is known to be a scratch magnet, but that is expected on a daily wear. From an investment point of view you would have to buy the watch at the retail price to get any future investment out of it as the market prices are already at the all time high. See the article on my website for full comparison
watchnerdofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:13 PM   #15
watchnerdofficial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Batman
If it helps check out the infographic here https://watchnerd.com/blog/19/patek-...us-vs-aquanaut
watchnerdofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:25 PM   #16
Welshmartin
"TRF" Member

Guys it would be time investment, not money. I’d keep it forever Hopefully

Thanks for everyone’s comments .
Welshmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 07:33 PM   #17
yoast
"TRF" Member

Unless you get it at list, it's probably the worst investment you can make right now...
Old 30 October 2019, 08:23 PM   #18
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Safe?
Visiting poor people?
Old 30 October 2019, 11:47 PM   #19
pblondon
"TRF" Member

Yes, its a great daily and I wear mine around the streets of London with no issues! Its been great on beaches / by pools etc. I wouldn't wear any of my watches at the gym though, too much metal there.

The rubber strap seems to take most of the knocks, my case hasn't got any noticeable scratches at the moment, obviously the clasp does pick up some minor scratches / swirls.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:49 AM   #20
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
It's a great daily. The clasp can get a little scratched up on desk/computer, but thats an easy replacement as service time. I wear it a lot in the summer.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 01:05 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Should be safe in London, as with any luxury good that is very prominent on social media just be smart about wearing it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:39 AM   #22
gqmagic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
It's a great daily. The clasp can get a little scratched up on desk/computer, but thats an easy replacement as service time. I wear it a lot in the summer.
I started keeping a folded microfiber cloth next to my keyboard (2005) when I got my 5167 so the clasp sits on it, and the 12 o'clock side of my Nautilus bracelets do too.

I'm quite surprised at the aftermarket appreciation of the 5167.
gqmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:20 AM   #23
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
It is designed for daily wear. That’s the whole purpose of it. Easy to read, high degree of water resistance. The tropical composite material, what the rest of us call rubber, is very durable and won’t show scratches.

Interestingly, when the aquanaut was originally introduced it was considered an ugly redheaded stepchild. It was also the least expensive. It was the watch for people who wanted a Nautilis but couldn’t afford it. Took a really long time for people to turn around.

I have worn an AP perpetual calendar Royal Oak walking around Rio de Janeiro. I was safe in the knowledge that nobody knows what the hell an AP is except us and some rappers and basketball players. Almost nobody but watch collectors even know what the brand Patek is. For most of London I wouldn’t be in the least bit concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:34 AM   #24
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
It is designed for daily wear. That’s the whole purpose of it. Easy to read, high degree of water resistance. The tropical composite material, what the rest of us call rubber, is very durable and won’t show scratches.

Interestingly, when the aquanaut was originally introduced it was considered an ugly redheaded stepchild. It was also the least expensive. It was the watch for people who wanted a Nautilis but couldn’t afford it. Took a really long time for people to turn around.

I have worn an AP perpetual calendar Royal Oak walking around Rio de Janeiro. I was safe in the knowledge that nobody knows what the hell an AP is except us and some rappers and basketball players. Almost nobody but watch collectors even know what the brand Patek is. For most of London I wouldn’t be in the least bit concerned.

I personally won't feel comfortable wearing a 41mm royal oak in steel in Rio. Maybe black ceramic but steel or gold looks REALLY expensive and shiny ;/
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:44 AM   #25
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I personally won't feel comfortable wearing a 41mm royal oak in steel in Rio. Maybe black ceramic but steel or gold looks REALLY expensive and shiny ;/

Well, I also had two bodyguards.

Old 31 October 2019, 10:37 AM   #26
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

I use both the 5167a and 5167a as my daily watches. They are amazing. I live in São Paulo, Brazil, and they’re much more discrete than any Rolex for example. I wouldn’t use a Royal Oak to walk around here. It draws a lot of attention...
fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:02 PM   #27
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
My Aquanaut has been my daily for everything. Gym, swimming ect only take off if working around metal parts but right back on. To me it is the perfect everyday watch. It has the best dial to read in any conditions with or with out my glasses. .Im 61 years old I bought new in 1999. It's small compared todays opinions but for me perfect ! Get one wear the piss out of it. Scratches very easy and you cannot change out the bezel for a new one one. It has a two part case the bezel and the case are one solid unit at least the 5055 is. Good luck.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:30 PM   #28
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

20 years with an Aquanaut as a daily wear - came everywhere with me, and did everything. Yeah, go for it. They're insanely comfortable and practical, though mine's had a few hiccups of late. (I only started buying more watches after daily-wearing it for two decades after it spent 3 months in Geneva for a major service. It's back in Geneva as for some reason it decided the date should change at 6AM.)

Don't buy as an investment, though. Probably safer long-term to gamble on Forex. (Don't gamble on Forex either.)

For the record, I'm a Londoner, use the tube regularly wearing a Rolex, Patek, AP, Lange, and have never felt unsafe anywhere at all in the city wearing any watch.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:33 PM   #29
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Well, I also had two bodyguards.

Thing about Brazil is, if you just go under the radar, people will leave you alone. Understated, no brands, don't throw your wealth in their faces. Heading out with security is like putting a bullseye on your head. Why do you need people to know you have money?!?!? Or are you too cheap to buy a G-Shock for the rough stuff ;)

The best way of avoiding trouble is not to court it in the first place.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:56 PM   #30
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Thing about Brazil is, if you just go under the radar, people will leave you alone. Understated, no brands, don't throw your wealth in their faces. Heading out with security is like putting a bullseye on your head. Why do you need people to know you have money?!?!? Or are you too cheap to buy a G-Shock for the rough stuff ;)

The best way of avoiding trouble is not to court it in the first place.
I was joking. 🙄🤣