The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2020, 03:53 AM   #1
Drew.g.l
Banned

Should I yank my deposit?

So long story short I placed a deposit with an AD in my local area (about 30ish minutes outside Philadelphia, PA) for a white dial OP39.

I looked everywhere in the city and within reason outside the city but nobody had one in stock. I finally settled on an AD I felt comfortable with, and they told me it could be special ordered. That sounded fine to me so I placed the deposit to have the watch ordered. The woman who sold me the watch said it should arrive within 3-6 weeks but also mentioned it could take up to 6 months as Rolex won't inform them when it ships out and therefore they can't definitively say or know when it will arrive.

This was in the middle of January of this year. Here we are at the end of June and I still haven't heard a peep from the AD. I get that my timing was horrible as both the AD and Rolex shut down for months due to COVID, but even with that said I'm starting to feel like this timeline is getting ridiculous.

So I wanted to ask you all, who might be more experience or tuned in with Rolex and their supply chains, is it just me or is this wait-time unreasonable? Should I get my deposit back and just move on? I'm still super excited to get this watch but at this point, I'm not sure if it'll be this week or this time next year when this watch arrives. I haven't reached out to the AD yet because I feel like unless and until it arrives, what really could they update me with. If I do reach out it'll be asking for my money back, but I really hope they can come through before I get to that point.

I'd be curious to get your opinions and I hope you're all doing well.
Drew.g.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:34 AM   #2
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I would be more concerned that the AD goes out of business..and your deposit..with it..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:43 AM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I would ask them for an update. Even though it's out of their control I would try to stay on the radar. Maybe something else will come in that you might be interested in.
I assume you already considered buying it grey so I won't mention it.
As far as your deposit, did you pay with a credit card? Maybe you can talk to your credit card company to make sure you're protected in case they go out of business.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:44 AM   #4
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
i wouldn't feel comfortable waiting that long for an OP with a deposit down.
Old 27 June 2020, 06:45 AM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

get your deposit back and just go grey for this. the premium won't be that high and when you factor in taxes at an AD it's prob equal
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:49 AM   #6
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Just my $0.02: You have nothing to lose by reasonably contacting the AD, reminding her that you have an order and a deposit with her, and asking for an update. It will put you back on her radar, and you can see how she responds. Then decide if you want to ask for your deposit back. Since Rolex re-opened, it seems from looking at TRF, that shipments have started again. You could tell her you'd like your deposit back if your special piece hasn't appeared in another month. Good luck, be polite, and be persistent.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:50 AM   #7
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I placed a deposit on Feb 3 for my daughter's DateJust and it arrived one week ago today. I was told Rolex SA is clearing out any special orders until they will field post lock-down new requests. I would be patient a while longer. I let my AD know I wanted to order a DayDate 40 and he said the order can not be made until they catch up.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:51 AM   #8
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
Before you do anything i would talk to the ad
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 06:55 AM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I'd get it back after talking with the AD. It's not a hard watch to find without a deposit.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
I think u need to knock 3 months off the wait time due pandemic so you’re only waiting 3 months. I would give it 30 days and then get money back. I would also politely let them know that 30 days is as long as you want to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:10 AM   #11
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
[QUOTE=Tavli3;10705617]I think u need to knock 3 months off the wait time due pandemic so you’re only waiting 3 months. I would give it 30 days and then get money back. I would also politely let them know that 30 days is as long as you want to wait.

Rolex Geneva and Rolex NYC were both shut down for three months, still not back to normal, unless you have another source, I would let it ride.
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:14 AM   #12
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

I’d keep waiting. It’ll show up soon. I’ve made some special orders. One came in a couple weeks. The other took a couple months and that was without COVID. I’d expect 3-6 month wait from time of ordering now (not including time of factory shutdown).
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:16 AM   #13
Albatross
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
Just my $0.02: You have nothing to lose by reasonably contacting the AD, reminding her that you have an order and a deposit with her, and asking for an update. It will put you back on her radar, and you can see how she responds. Then decide if you want to ask for your deposit back. Since Rolex re-opened, it seems from looking at TRF, that shipments have started again. You could tell her you'd like your deposit back if your special piece hasn't appeared in another month. Good luck, be polite, and be persistent.

This...give them a deadline. My watch shows up by the end of July or I will be requesting a refund of my deposit. An OP is not difficult to source.

Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:16 AM   #14
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

As a few have already mentioned, contact your AD and find out what seems to be taking so long and overall status of the watch. You can assess from there. If you source out it out from a seller or grey dealer, then request the deposit back from the AD.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:17 AM   #15
Xenon
Banned

Get the deposit back and pay $6,399 on the grey market.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:18 AM   #16
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
If you’d like DM me and with the AD. I live in Philadelphia and use an AD that’s 30 min outside of the city as well. Depending on which way you go we could be using the same AD in which case that would affect my answer .
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:18 AM   #17
Starlord
"TRF" Member

I'd ask for an update and if they are still unsure then I would ask for the deposit back. Like someone mentioned earlier you can easily find this on the grey market with minimal mark up. Usually the mark up and tax cancel out.
Starlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 09:50 AM   #18
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Govberg used to quote a year for that piece (while offering you a preowned example for $6,200) and I can’t imagine the situation has improved at all. IMHO the white dial OP39 has gotten as hard to obtain as most “official” steel sports models...and for good reason. It’s a fantastic piece and well worth the wait.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 09:58 AM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I would reach out to the AD for an update. If it was me, I would tell the AD that I will wait one more month then get deposit back if it’s not delivered. Good luck.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:05 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
How much did you put down? That’s probably a better question. If you paid in full, then sure consider it. If it’s 5-10%, I’ll sit tight and see if it shows up in the next 2 months.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:22 AM   #21
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I think some supply is starting to arrive. Certainly the OP 39 white dial is a very nice watch but if the AD had a white dial or silver dial DJ I think I would try to stretch and buy that watch if it was available. Just in case you were not aware, the DJ41 is really 39mm not 41mm. On the secondary market even the OP39 has a premium. I would go into the AD weekly and say hello. Look around, talk watches, be friendly, and see what turns up. As far as the deposit goes I think half on here would say never do that, and the other half would be willing to try to get the piece and place the money down as a form of commitment. Lot's of dealers in that Philly / New Jersey area, I would be making some phone calls, because inventories are changing daily. Good Luck.
Old 27 June 2020, 11:12 AM   #22
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

As many have said. Talk to the AD, then make your decision.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 11:25 AM   #23
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
get your deposit back and just go grey for this. the premium won't be that high and when you factor in taxes at an AD it's prob equal
This.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 12:34 PM   #24
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
The watch will probably show up at the AD within the next week or two
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 01:47 PM   #25
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Get your money back
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 02:02 PM   #26
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I live in same area as you. PM me and I’ll hook you up with my AD that has gotten me some hard to get references. Nevermind having to worry about an OP39...
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 02:45 PM   #27
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Definitely reach out to the AD and better yet, the salesperson you worked with. I had a similar issue with Brooks Brothers. Got a hold of my salesman who gave me a full refund of some suits he knew I’d never see - since they’re now closing all their made to measure factories. I wouldn’t leave a deposit out that long for an OP.

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:05 PM   #28
18078pres
"TRF" Member

Deadline time 2 weeks
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:10 PM   #29
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Let it be.
That deposit may even be a leverage for better or the next Rolex you want.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 08:11 PM   #30
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
There's been a global pandemic, with most of the world being closed, Rolex themselves have been closed.

like yourself, the AD is waiting for something to turn up to sell you. Your going to have to wait.

You can speak to the AD but they are a very small cog in a big wheel.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote