The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #1
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Icon11 Is Rolex’s inventory ever going to get better?

I’m relatively new to the Rolex scene, so I hope I’m not being too naive, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be this challenging to get a watch. I recently graduated and wanted to treat myself to a white smooth bezel Datejust to celebrate my hard work and mark this significant milestone in my life. Back in February, I put my name down at two local authorized dealers, feeling hopeful that the wait wouldn’t be too long. Still I haven’t received an update or really anything regarding the watch I was interested in from my two ADs. I had read that smooth bezel Datejusts weren’t as popular, which gave me optimism about my chances.

However, my experience has been quite different. I just returned from a trip to London, where I visited seven out of eight Rolex ADs, and to my surprise, none of them had the watch I was looking for. In fact, they had very few watches available at all—mostly just a handful of gold pieces that were far outside my budget.

While I know I could explore the gray market, I’m hesitant about going that route. I’ve heard too many stories about issues with authenticity and pricing, and I’d much rather buy directly from an authorized dealer to ensure I’m getting a legitimate product and proper support. I truly didn’t think this process would be so difficult! I’m starting to wonder if the situation will ever improve, or if this is just the new normal in the Rolex market.
Zeus1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #2
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

I think, moving forward, most of the most desirable luxury brand will constantly alter production annually to create a scarcity. As they’ve seen exactly how it pumps demand to unparalleled levels. For instance if Q1 2025 shows a slowdown compared to Q1 2024, Rolex will immediately cut production. I think going forward, things will never return, and it will be pretty impossible to ever find a SS models sitting in a display again, aside from maybe Datejusts.

I just posted about this, after going grey for multiple pieces my family and I have been waiting for. The entire luxury landscape has changed, forever, my opinion. And I was one who adamant it would return shortly after COVID previously.
Sky-Dweller 336934
Submariner 126610LV
----------------------------------
Datejust 126233
Datejust 126284RBR
Oyster Perpetual 126000
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #3
Rollieplz
"TRF" Member

My biggest issue is you never really know if any of them will ever call. I think most of them write down your info on a piece of scrap paper and throw it in the trash once you leave. If there was an actual real time frame to wait or real ESD, folks would more than likely just wait. Plus it’s all location dependent and AD behavior varies per location.
Rollieplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Yes, the inventory issue is getting better and should keep improving unless we end up in another situation like COVID.

How many times have you visited your local ADs since February? If you haven’t gone at all, that might be why you haven't heard anything. You should definitely follow up with them regularly, but try not to be too pushy. I really think you could get a Datejust in a flash if you stay on top of it. They’re in the business of selling watches, so don’t let anyone tell you that a Datejust is waitlisted or that you need to build a spending history for it. It’s a model they’re eager to sell in this down market.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #5
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure you’ll ever see a popular ss model in the case. An AD may sell those to their current clients or those that bring a story or reason why they’re purchasing if new or if they like you.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #6
Midlifegoals
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126334 Silver
They’re building tons of new factory and production capacity. They won’t do that to slow down production or temper it further than it has been before. I think they’ll always have a few very difficult to find pieces. However, I think they want to sell watches.

I think we will see “the call” and tbe “waitlist” mentality stay for many/mist pieces… but you’ll be waiting for weeks or a few months, and it’ll mostly be for show and to make the experience seem special.

Just my uneducated guess.
Midlifegoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #7
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Yes, the inventory issue is getting better and should keep improving unless we end up in another situation like COVID.

How many times have you visited your local ADs since February? If you haven’t gone at all, that might be why you haven't heard anything. You should definitely follow up with them regularly, but try not to be too pushy. I really think you could get a Datejust in a flash if you stay on top of it. They’re in the business of selling watches, so don’t let anyone tell you that a Datejust is waitlisted or that you need to build a spending history for it. It’s a model they’re eager to sell in this down market.
I started visiting my main AD every two weeks just to say hi and chat, since it’s conveniently located in my mall. However, I began to feel like I was stopping by too often, so I decided to scale back to once a month or every other month. I honestly thought it would be easier to find a watch, especially since I’ve heard they receive new inventory every week. But it seems that’s not the case. Or maybe it is and they just don’t want to sell to me?? Idk
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #8
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Try your luck at a bugger AD like Bucherer in one of the major metro areas. They receive quite a few allocations. When I was picking up my watch in Feb I have seen smooth bezel DJ41 on Jubilee with blue dial available for a walk in purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #9
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Question was asked, how many times have you been back since February?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #10
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Probably once or twice a month since February, I didn’t go really in June or July but I started back in August id say.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #11
Zeus1993
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1993 View Post
Probably once or twice a month since February, I didn’t go really in June or July but I started back in August id say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Question was asked, how many times have you been back since February?
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #12
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Is Rolex’s inventory ever going to get better?

Hang in there OP. A smooth bezel DJ is a piece you should never have to go the used market for

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #13
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I think, moving forward, most of the most desirable luxury brand will constantly alter production annually to create a scarcity. As they’ve seen exactly how it pumps demand to unparalleled levels. For instance if Q1 2025 shows a slowdown compared to Q1 2024, Rolex will immediately cut production. I think going forward, things will never return, and it will be pretty impossible to ever find a SS models sitting in a display again, aside from maybe Datejusts.

I just posted about this, after going grey for multiple pieces my family and I have been waiting for. The entire luxury landscape has changed, forever, my opinion. And I was one who adamant it would return shortly after COVID previously.
I 10000% agree with this. It's very clear ubiquity doesn't sell luxury.

Scarcity (even if it's simply the perception of) wins the luxury wars.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #14
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m relatively new to the Rolex scene, so I hope I’m not being too naive, but I honestly didn’t expect it to be this challenging to get a watch. I recently graduated and wanted to treat myself to a white smooth bezel Datejust to celebrate my hard work and mark this significant milestone in my life. Back in February, I put my name down at two local authorized dealers, feeling hopeful that the wait wouldn’t be too long. Still I haven’t received an update or really anything regarding the watch I was interested in from my two ADs. I had read that smooth bezel Datejusts weren’t as popular, which gave me optimism about my chances.

However, my experience has been quite different. I just returned from a trip to London, where I visited seven out of eight Rolex ADs, and to my surprise, none of them had the watch I was looking for. In fact, they had very few watches available at all—mostly just a handful of gold pieces that were far outside my budget.

While I know I could explore the gray market, I’m hesitant about going that route. I’ve heard too many stories about issues with authenticity and pricing, and I’d much rather buy directly from an authorized dealer to ensure I’m getting a legitimate product and proper support. I truly didn’t think this process would be so difficult! I’m starting to wonder if the situation will ever improve, or if this is just the new normal in the Rolex market.
Keep following up like others have mentioned, so the AD/SA knows you are still interested. Or find out if you could work with another SA person at the AD.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #15
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Visit once a month is okay I think, and maybe towards the last weekend as they want to meet their sale goals.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #16
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You are doing the right thing by keeping in touch with your AD but I’d be tempted to register your interest at another place to keep all options open.
Good luck with the wait hopefully it gets you what you want
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #17
BlueMo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Totally agree.
After two Rolex’s and a Bb58, I can say that it is not worthy to stress yourself over a watch.
Unfortunately, Rolex made it a terrible experience for many of us.
BlueMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #18
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Could not agree more. Attitude and hoops are ridiculous. I applaud those who have the time to stop by their dealers once or more a month. I don't. My workdays are spent trying to earn a living. My weekends are spent relaxing and doing other things then schlepping downtown or out 30 min one way to a shopping center.

After two Rolexes and a Panerai, I told my dealer I wanted a Sub LV. this was in April. By July I had still heard nothing. I heard the knocking of a grey dealer on this site offering a lnib LV. I answered, and after some back and forth I sent my LN out for trade. 24 Hours later I had my new watch, all boxes papers and both tags. The watch still had some bracelet and clasp stickers on...

Lesson is as long as you stick to the dealers who advertise here you should be fine. Your mileage may vary based on pricing. It beats having to wear the knees off of your trousers begging someone for a watch from a company that makes a million of them a year....
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #19
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMo View Post
Totally agree.
After two Rolex’s and a Bb58, I can say that it is not worthy to stress yourself over a watch.
Unfortunately, Rolex made it a terrible experience for many of us.
Yup, at first I was like, my ethics are to never pay above retail, forget that. But then I started realizing…..this stupid cat and mouse retail game and lists and all the other nonsense……I’m also losing myself a bit succumbing to that charade as well.

Said forget it, grey and done, zero stress, all I want. All good
Sky-Dweller 336934
Submariner 126610LV
Datejust 126233
Datejust 126284RBR
Oyster Perpetual 126000
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #20
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieplz View Post
My biggest issue is you never really know if any of them will ever call. I think most of them write down your info on a piece of scrap paper and throw it in the trash once you leave. If there was an actual real time frame to wait or real ESD, folks would more than likely just wait. Plus it’s all location dependent and AD behavior varies per location.
Followed up with an AD to update (take pieces off) my "card / wish list" after I obtained some via the grey mkt.They couldn't produce it so I filled out another.

So they may in fact throw it away. What a way to run a business that sells products no one actually needs that can go for 40-50k for a non- limited production piece.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #21
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_UKR View Post
Try your luck at a bugger AD like Bucherer in one of the major metro areas. They receive quite a few allocations. When I was picking up my watch in Feb I have seen smooth bezel DJ41 on Jubilee with blue dial available for a walk in purchase.

Freudian slip or personal experience of Bucherer?!!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think Rolex and other luxury brands straddle the line between making just enough product to satisfy demand while holding back enough to create scarcity
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #23
Chefinspecteur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
Had to laugh )))))))
Chefinspecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #24
dandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

agree. and only watches auction and grey dealer are being allocated steel sports watches
dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #25
londondude
"TRF" Member

Supply might depend on where you are based and your relationship with AD. I picked four SS watches on the last 12 months, two professional models and two ladies watches for my partner. Could have been more as well. I think AD’s make you wait a long time if you don’t have a relationship and it’s your first Rolex purchase. Might also depend on whether they like you or think you fit the brand image
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #26
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post

Haha. Just a typo.

Bucherer was nice to me. One walk-in purchase and one more after 6 months wait. Both not readily available models.

Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #27
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londondude View Post
Supply might depend on where you are based and your relationship with AD. I picked four SS watches on the last 12 months, two professional models and two ladies watches for my partner. Could have been more as well. I think AD’s make you wait a long time if you don’t have a relationship and it’s your first Rolex purchase. Might also depend on whether they like you or think you fit the brand image
Which 4 exactly
Sky-Dweller 336934
Submariner 126610LV
Datejust 126233
Datejust 126284RBR
Oyster Perpetual 126000
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Your chances of getting a watch through your AD are unknown and for me that is unacceptable. We have some great Trusted Sellers here and they are completely legitimate and in my experience are more honest than most AD's. Do some research here on TRF and look at the Trusted Sellers websites and see what they are offering and for how much. Pick up the phone, call and talk to the seller or their staff and ask all your questions. They have always been very patient with me. Most of the TS will negotiate on watches, typically 2-5% off, and if out of state you may save the tax. Find what you want from a Trusted Seller and come back here and ask all of the questions you need answered and ask if who you are dealing with is good. Pay and have the watch tomorrow by lunch time. End of games and waiting and you can get on with enjoying your watch and living your life. Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #29
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Buying from greys at above MSRP is as good as approving ADs to offer bundle deals to them. From a business perspective it’s nothing wrong. It’s up to consumers whether they are willing to pay above MSRP. For me is a no. It’s easy to live without the watch I desire.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #30
londondude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which 4 exactly
Sub Date, Explorer II and two OP’s. Not very high demand pieces but that’s what we wanted. Not saying it’s easy to get a Daytona but a DJ should be pretty easy.

Last edited by londondude; Yesterday at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Typo
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote