The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 November 2017, 07:21 PM   #1
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Is the Platinum Day-Date too Heavy for a Daily Wear

I am considering a Platinum DD purchase and wanted to get your opinion if you think it is too heavy for a daily wear? Thanks.
Old 7 November 2017, 07:43 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t it depend on whether you like a bit of heft in your watch. Some people wear large chunky and heavy watches because they like that, but other want thin and svelte. What is your frame of reference? What have you previously worn as a daily?
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

If you can straighten your left arm directly in front of you (parallel to the ground), with a 10 pound dumbbell in hand, and keep the position for 10 minutes, then you are ready to daily a platinum day date.

If not, keep hitting the gym until you can pass this test.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:08 PM   #4
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Wouldn’t it depend on whether you like a bit of heft in your watch. Some people wear large chunky and heavy watches because they like that, but other want thin and svelte. What is your frame of reference? What have you previously worn as a daily?
Currently wear a Datejust II as my daily wear but considering an upgrade.
Old 7 November 2017, 08:17 PM   #5
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Lots of guys on here that actually prefer the heft of platinum as a daily. I don't own a platinum watch but could see going to a 116506 at some point.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:56 PM   #6
MonBK
Banned

How weak are you?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I enjoy the weight of PM watches.
Old 7 November 2017, 09:55 PM   #8
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

No. It would get annoying quickly.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 10:00 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
When I joined TRF I was seriously looking at the 218206. I must've tried it on a half dozen times.

In the end it wasn't the weight that bothered me, it was the lack of adjustability in the president bracelet. If your wrist is subject to swelling like mine, it's pretty tough to get past as a daily wearer.

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 10:12 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is not the weight of the watch as much as it is the cost. If you are going with a DD II or a DD 40 the freight will be 40K plus depending on age and condition. I have owned four DD II's over the years and have had the concentric dial, diamond dial and the smooth roman dial. I currently own the smooth roman dial with the glacier blue. You adjust to the weight very easily with wear and it is only noticeable when you switch from a lighter watch. I am in a love/hate relationship with the president bracelet as there is no adjustability in the bracelet except to add or remove links which can mean at times of the year I have a hard time getting a perfect fit. But the look is amazing and I like everything else about the watch. I have a YG Submariner LN and I use it with the glidelock for adjustment in the wrist swelling time of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_110445.jpg (146.7 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_110516.jpg (127.7 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_110533.jpg (160.1 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg 20170921_110427.jpg (124.6 KB, 928 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:11 AM   #11
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I enjoy the weight of PM watches.
X2 ...I agree. I wear PM watches 95% of the time. You get used to the weight quickly, and it becomes normal if you wear it often.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:12 AM   #12
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
My platinum Daytona has a presence that has to be experienced. It is not overly heavy, but you know it's there.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:22 AM   #13
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I don't think the weight is noticeable after wearing it for more than 5 minutes
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:29 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
No, I don't think it would be too heavy for daily wear...but I don't know that for sure as I don't own one.

I will point to one thing brought up by Brian and William, however. The lack of adjustability in the president bracelet. You will want a good fit with such a heavy watch, so, you may want to try one on to see how close you're going to get without micro adjustments.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:36 AM   #15
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
The first time I started wearing a Rolex vs a cheap plastic watch I noticed the weight for a few days and then it felt odd if I DIDNT have one on...
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:39 AM   #16
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by star ferry View Post
if you can straighten your left arm directly in front of you (parallel to the ground), with a 10 pound dumbbell in hand, and keep the position for 10 minutes, then you are ready to daily a platinum day date.

If not, keep hitting the gym until you can pass this test.
lololol.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 02:03 AM   #17
69ways
Banned

Heavy and soft metal
Not the best for daily usage
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 02:17 AM   #18
ap1

I had no problem wearing it, in fact it’s quite enjoyable
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 03:13 AM   #19
Tony64
"TRF" Member

The added heft of platinum can certainly be a source of pleasure to the wearer.

I own several platinum watches but none of them Rolex so it's hard for me to comment specifically.

Here's a recent illustration after wearing the platinum on my right wrist for several months. As you can see, I've since changed back to the left wrist.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.2 KB, 749 views)
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 05:23 AM   #20
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I'm not a little guy, but I've never been a fan of heavy PM jewelry banging around. Even my wedding ring is only a few millimeters wide and steel!

What always attracted me to Rolex was that they are very durable while still being relatively compact and lightweight, so PM has never been on my radar, except maybe a Day Date on a leather strap.

This is my favorite watch, and it's only 36mm and probably doesn't break 90g on the scale. I barely notice that it's there, which is what I prefer in a daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1896.jpg (151.0 KB, 690 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 05:46 AM   #21
drefrank

I think it is fine for daily wear.
I recently purchased a DD40 platinum and was surprised how quickly I acclimated to the weight. It's a little hard to describe as the watch did not create a distraction due to the heft, but I was still aware of its presence on the wrist.
As to the president bracelet, this was my first experience. Being used to sport type watches with greater adjustability, it has taken some getting used to. The watch does slide down somewhat and this may be a result of the cooling weather here in the northeast. I suspect that in warmer times, the fit would be more snug. But the bottom line (at least for me) is that the bracelet is fine.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 07:54 AM   #22
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
These days I only buy PM. So yes, you can wear PM watches as dailies. My platinum Rolex gets regular use along with its gold siblings.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 04:39 AM   #23
loboacan
"TRF" Member

I switch between my Submariner 5512 and Rolex Cellini Cellinium-5241 and they are within 1mm of each other and the weight is about the same. Platinum feels heavy in the hand but not on the wrist. Of course, one has a metal bracelet and the other one has a leather strap...and even then the Platinum is a fair amount heavier---but not noticeable.
loboacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 04:46 AM   #24
iheartrolexx
Banned

it's alright
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #25
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
It is not the weight of the watch as much as it is the cost. If you are going with a DD II or a DD 40 the freight will be 40K plus depending on age and condition. I have owned four DD II's over the years and have had the concentric dial, diamond dial and the smooth roman dial. I currently own the smooth roman dial with the glacier blue. You adjust to the weight very easily with wear and it is only noticeable when you switch from a lighter watch. I am in a love/hate relationship with the president bracelet as there is no adjustability in the bracelet except to add or remove links which can mean at times of the year I have a hard time getting a perfect fit. But the look is amazing and I like everything else about the watch. I have a YG Submariner LN and I use it with the glidelock for adjustment in the wrist swelling time of the year.
I know this is an older thread, but out of curiosity, William, since you owned multiple 218206 dial combinations, which one did you like the most? I am on the platinum DD train...just cannot decide on this DD2 or the newer DD40. I have always been a lover of the original DD2 Plat.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #26
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
I am considering a Platinum DD purchase and wanted to get your opinion if you think it is too heavy for a daily wear? Thanks.
You would get used to the weight. I have a TT Sea Dweller, which is perhaps the heftiest TT that Rolex makes now that the YMII is done. It feels perfectly normal on my left wrist where I actually wear it daily, but extremely heavy if I put it on my right.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I know this is an older thread, but out of curiosity, William, since you owned multiple 218206 dial combinations, which one did you like the most? I am on the platinum DD train...just cannot decide on this DD2 or the newer DD40. I have always been a lover of the original DD2 Plat.
I liked the Concentric Dial with the Roman Numerals. I look at the diamond dial version recently but am not really that into that dial any longer. I recently traded a YG DD II because of the continuing bracelet issue. As I have gone through the years collecting, if the bracelets don't have the adjustability and ease I want, for a perfect fit, I don't buy them. It was nice to own the Platinum DD II's but for me it is too much money for the watches in the end. I have owned the Platinum Daytona with the Baguet Dial and it lasted only a short time because of the brown bezel and overall look. Glad I got that out of my system so now I don't really look at them for purchase. I would go DD II for the size, look and wear over the DD40 but that is just me. If I knew what I know now I would skip it all together but sometimes you need to do things yourself to find out and know. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #28
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Its perfect. I have worn one. I currently wear my white gold Daytona or my Deepsea almost every day. I prefer a watch with some weight to it.
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #29
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I liked the Concentric Dial with the Roman Numerals. I look at the diamond dial version recently but am not really that into that dial any longer. I recently traded a YG DD II because of the continuing bracelet issue. As I have gone through the years collecting, if the bracelets don't have the adjustability and ease I want, for a perfect fit, I don't buy them. It was nice to own the Platinum DD II's but for me it is too much money for the watches in the end. I have owned the Platinum Daytona with the Baguet Dial and it lasted only a short time because of the brown bezel and overall look. Glad I got that out of my system so now I don't really look at them for purchase. I would go DD II for the size, look and wear over the DD40 but that is just me. If I knew what I know now I would skip it all together but sometimes you need to do things yourself to find out and know. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Excellent feedback William. Can you explain to me why the concentric dial with Romans rather than just the Romans? I am undecided and I have not seen either up close yet. Tough to find for that experiment. But yes, I think I am more enamoured with the DD2 and I have been for a long time.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #30
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Excellent feedback William. Can you explain to me why the concentric dial with Romans rather than just the Romans? I am undecided and I have not seen either up close yet. Tough to find for that experiment. But yes, I think I am more enamoured with the DD2 and I have been for a long time.

Norma smells a potential incoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote