The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 December 2014, 01:25 PM   #1
grandfatherswatch
"TRF" Member

please help me identify my grandfather's (1960?) Rolex!

Hello Rolex Forums! I was referred to you all after posting a thread on reddit's /r/watches, and that thread not turning up any info, and then another post on Watchuseek turned up similarly empty – I'm hoping that you all might know more!

I received the Rolex described here as a Christmas gift from my father, who found it among my [deceased] grandfather’s possessions while helping my grandmother move into assisted living. Unfortunately, with my grandfather having passed away and my grandmother’s mental health tragically degraded, I don’t think there’s any firsthand source of information beyond what I describe below – but anything that your expertise can reveal would be very interesting to me! (I certainly don't want to sell it, but I would like to learn more about it and care for it appropriately – and hopefully wear it regularly!)

Photos of front and back. (I neither know how to, nor would I feel even remotely comfortable attempting to, remove the back to photograph the movement.)

The text on the front reads:

Rolex Oyster Perpetual

Officially Certified Chronometer

It’s difficult to read the inscription on the back – I couldn’t photograph it legibly – but the watch was given to my grandfather by my grandmother, evidently for their wedding anniversary in 1960 (inference from my father), so that was, I assume, the year it was purchased. Judging by the amount of scuffing – enough to obscure the inscription but not to meaningfully obscure the movement – it was his daily-wear watch for a long time.

As well, while the watch is still functional (term? the hands still move), it is not currently useful, as it seems to be slow by about 5-10 minutes/hour – is it possible to restore such a watch to fully operational condition? If so, how best to do that (how much will that cost?), and how best to preserve it in such a state, especially if I would like to wear it regularly?

Happy to supply more information to the best of my ability; thank you for any input!
grandfatherswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2015, 12:18 PM   #2
cajunron
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Take the straps off and see if it has engravings between the lugs. That would help tremendously. Take a picture of the engravings if it does. This is the model and serial numbers.
Old 1 January 2015, 01:08 PM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Judging by the sharkstooth indices and dauphine hands id say it was made in the late 50's. The dial has been refinished, get it serviced and it will be fine for daily wear.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2015, 03:19 PM   #4
grandfatherswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdejong View Post
Take the straps off and see if it has engravings between the lugs. That would help tremendously. Take a picture of the engravings if it does. This is the model and serial numbers.
No engravings between the lugs (I don't know how to remove the straps, but they sit in such a way that the case is easily visible), does that inform your thinking in any way?
Quote:
Judging by the sharkstooth indices and dauphine hands id say it was made in the late 50's. The dial has been refinished, get it serviced and it will be fine for daily wear.
Okily doke, sounds good! :)
grandfatherswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2015, 07:46 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfatherswatch View Post
No engravings between the lugs (I don't know how to remove the straps, but they sit in such a way that the case is easily visible), does that inform your thinking in any way?

Okily doke, sounds good! :)

It has bombe lugs look that up it a model 6593 I think late 50's dial is resprayed