The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2023, 01:13 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

How many watches in a collection and still wear them all?

How many watches is it practical to have in a collection and actually wear them?

For me, it’s 5.

I have 11 watches, and pretty much there’s a core 4 watches that I wear all the time (at least 2-3 times per week), and one watch I wear at least once every 2-3 weeks. The other 6 watches I almost never wear. Maybe once every 6 months, or even once per year. I feel watches are meant to be worn, makes me think I should finally let these pieces go.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:30 PM   #2
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

This is something I think about too. I wear three most, two often, and the rest periodically. Sentimental value comes into play. If a watch isn't a sentimental item, perhaps sell.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:38 PM   #3
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
For me, 1. The Submariner checks all of the boxes and works for me in every situation.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:45 PM   #4
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
4-5, I’ve gone well over that numerous times but alway work back to this point
mikea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 02:20 PM   #5
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
In theory three seems pretty ideal.
A casual, a fancy and a beater.
Old 12 September 2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
How many watches is it practical to have in a collection and actually wear them?

For me, it’s 5.

I have 11 watches, and pretty much there’s a core 4 watches that I wear all the time (at least 2-3 times per week), and one watch I wear at least once every 2-3 weeks. The other 6 watches I almost never wear. Maybe once every 6 months, or even once per year. I feel watches are meant to be worn, makes me think I should finally let these pieces go.
Yes 4-5 for all to get adequate wrist time. Any more than that is a collection to be looked at and little worn. I would need a point to owning them (sentiment, investment etc) or move them on imo.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 03:32 PM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I rotate between the 4 and it works great but one old Tudor sub I would say is my beater that gets worn the most
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 03:40 PM   #8
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
I used to have 6-7 watches in my collection pre-pandemic. I was able to wear them all in a month of rotation (with a SD 16600 and 40mm Panerai getting the most wrist time). Since then I had acquired 9 more watches (mostly sports watches) and now it’s like 2-3 months to go through all of them. I think that’s too many watches and I already sold one of my two month old purchase.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 04:06 PM   #9
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

Maxed at 8 or 9, down to 6, ideal is 5.
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I only have four watches:
Sub Date, Explorer 2 Polar, White Daytona, and Blue Sky, acquired in that order.

I wore my sub date daily for about 5 years. it was my only.
I bought the Explorer 2 to try to NOT buy a white daytona.
Didn't work, bought the white daytona, it has been my daily since April 2022
Bought a blue sky, cannot take off the daytona for more than a few days

So, as much as i'd like to wear my other watches, i geniunely cannot. If i wind another watch and it gets three consecutive days of wrist time, it's a miracle.

Anyone else have this problem with a favorite watch which forces neglect on the rest of the collection?

At the same time, if i sold, i'd be sad.
Old 12 September 2023, 04:22 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I have about 20 to choose from, and almost half of those are Rolex. The other half are obscure vintage or Seiko divers. Stuff like that. Mostly I wear a Grand Seiko 9F and a Tudor ETA Ranger. I could happily live with those two alone if I ever got robbed of the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 2.14.44 PM.jpg (283.8 KB, 1532 views)
Old 12 September 2023, 05:22 PM   #12
Rolex2008
Banned

Watch: Various
I have 10+ watches but only really wear 3 of them in any kind of a proper rotation. Any more than 3 and they just sit around and get ingorned.
Rolex2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 06:23 PM   #13
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Bought 14 in the last few years, now down to 5 but mostly wear 2.
Will probably downsize further to 3.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 07:16 PM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I had seven Rolex up to last night. I decided that I really didn't have enough time to give them all due time. So I'm back down to four Rolex and a bunch more of other watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 07:58 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m down to three nice watches (and my trusty SKX) and couldn’t be happier.

When I had more than that, I sort of found it stressful in a weird way … not wearing certain watches, but still trying to figure out how to work them into rotation.

I know it’s weird, but I finally got rid of the ones I wasn’t wearing regularly and it feels sort of freeing.

It’s inspired me to cut back on some of the other things I’ve accumulated over the years as well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:29 PM   #16
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I'm down to 22 watches now. I used to have a lot more, but I'm slowly shifting out the ones I don't wear often, while simultaneously avoiding picking up any others when I see something new and shiny!

My goal is to get to less than 10, maybe even as low as 5. That way, I will definitely be wearing them all regularly. As Brian said above, it's actually quite a liberating process.
Old 12 September 2023, 08:41 PM   #17
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

When I had more than that, I sort of found it stressful in a weird way … not wearing certain watches, but still trying to figure out how to work them into rotation.

I know it’s weird, but I finally got rid of the ones I wasn’t wearing regularly and it feels sort of freeing.

It’s inspired me to cut back on some of the other things I’ve accumulated over the years as well.
Great post describing the feelings you feel. “Stressful in a weird way” exactly describes my feeling, but most of my watches are inexpensive so no need to really get rid. Certainly not going to try and sell G-Shocks and any watch under $600 . Can’t be bothered. I could imagine selling my Seamaster because my SD43 meets any requirements for that style, yet the Omega does fly under the radar when I’m out and about in the summer. I just got my Tank for dressier occasions. Completely unnecessary for me but I like it, so my meager collection just got bigger , not smaller. I’m wearing my Hamilton Khaki field to work today instead of my Apple Ultra, to give it some love. Good thread.
Old 12 September 2023, 08:46 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

All of mine get wrist time, some more than others. Sixteen watches at present, seventeen tomorrow. My wearing habits vary. I am out and about for work less since COVID-19 because the behaviour of my clients has changed. Collecting watches and wearing watches do not necessarily correlate. They are different things.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:50 PM   #19
watchnwine
"TRF" Member

I've recently been struggling with this. I had a 3 watch collection for most of 20 years with 2 getting the most time. They all went in for service (mistake) and I bought 8 others that caught my attention. Now I'm feeling guilt - boarding on stress - and can't give them all time. I'll have to sell some but I bought them all because I loved them. Going to be hard to thin them out...
watchnwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:52 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdock View Post
Great post describing the feelings you feel. “Stressful in a weird way” exactly describes my feeling, but most of my watches are inexpensive so no need to really get rid. Certainly not going to try and sell G-Shocks and any watch under $600 . Can’t be bothered. I could imagine selling my Seamaster because my SD43 meets any requirements for that style, yet the Omega does fly under the radar when I’m out and about in the summer. I just got my Tank for dressier occasions. Completely unnecessary for me but I like it, so my meager collection just got bigger , not smaller. I’m wearing my Hamilton Khaki field to work today instead of my Apple Ultra, to give it some love. Good thread.
Sounds like you have a great system in place

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12 September 2023, 08:54 PM   #21
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
For me, 1. The Submariner checks all of the boxes and works for me in every situation.
Same we me, for now…
Old 12 September 2023, 08:58 PM   #22
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
4-6 is ideal for me. All get wrist time with that size collection. 6 currently
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:11 PM   #23
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have about 20 to choose from, and almost half of those are Rolex. The other half are obscure vintage or Seiko divers. Stuff like that. Mostly I wear a Grand Seiko 9F and a Tudor ETA Ranger. I could happily live with those two alone if I ever got robbed of the others.
Nice pair Adam.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:23 PM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
How many watches in a collection and still wear them all?

4 or 5.

Assuming equal wrist time, you’re only going to wear each watch about 20 to 25% of the time over the course of the year.

Anymore more than this, then what’s the point? You have a bunch of watches that you wear less than 20% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:27 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Too many to only cycle through typically 4-6. It is a lot easier to buy watches than to wear them or move them along. I am not sure what an ideal collection number would be but it is definitely not the number that I have.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:27 PM   #26
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Great question. I have 12 (10 rolex) and really wear 6-7 over a given year. However, other than 2 rolex acquired recently, all the others are worth way more than I paid for them (10 -15 yrs ago). So, for me, not a lot of motivation to sell them currently - other than maybe 1 to fund something new. But I am fortunate that I do not need to sell to acquire another.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:35 PM   #27
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Have 10 watches. I can see myself managing up to 20.

Have 4 “toy” impractical cars. Find that to be my max, had 5 (too many!) and even with 4 I can’t get mileage on them all. Work from home is part of it as our daily drivers also don’t get heavy use…

Watches are far easier. Less time based maintenance, less space (no kidding) and less value. I also have a similar number of guitars - 10… a couple get played maybe once per year. But they are there and not degrading… similar to watches, require minimal maintenance.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:48 PM   #28
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
4 or 5.

Assuming equal wrist time, you’re only going to wear each watch about 20 to 25% of the time over the course of the year.

Anymore more than this, then what’s the point? You have a bunch of watches that you wear less than 20% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my experience I tend to wear in phases. One watch is “primary” (aside from certain specific tasks or uses) for maybe three months. Then another. It could mean a watch isn’t used much for a couple years… but then gets used quite a lot.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:52 PM   #29
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I am going through the same thing, Brian. Whether it's watches, Bourbon, or any other hobby/fad/craving, you get caught up in the hunt and realize after a while you have more than you could ever NEED. You tell yourself you bought these things to share with your family and friends, but I've realized in large part it was about me.
I have started to thin out these collections, I'm feeling good about it.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 09:55 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
I am going through the same thing, Brian. Whether it's watches, Bourbon, or any other hobby/fad/craving, you get caught up in the hunt and realize after a while you have more than you could ever NEED. You tell yourself you bought these things to share with your family and friends, but I've realized in large part it was about me.

I have started to thin out these collections, I'm feeling good about it.
Whew ... I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk