The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2024, 01:41 AM   #1
MplsMN
"TRF" Member

Daytona dials

Hi gang and tgif!

I have a nice little collection going, with some pieces acquired via authorized dealer. Even though I have that relationship, I know getting a Daytona from them is likely never going to happen because I just don’t have the history required.

I was thinking about adding a previous generation, Daytona to my collection to commemorate a promotion I’ve received at work. I am willing to pay the secondary market price because I’d rather have it now and knowing even if it did happen through the authorized dealer, it could be 10+ years ha ha

However I’ve never tried a Daytona on in person, I am partial to black dials, but the white Dial is nice. Is the white Dial really that much nicer than the black however? Thanks all, opinions appreciated!
MplsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 01:44 AM   #2
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

It depends on your taste and the reference. Go look at options and do your due diligence. And why would you buy it if you have not tried it on? I wouldn't.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 01:57 AM   #3
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The black versus white dial on SS Daytonas has changed over the years. My first was a white dial 16520, one of the last circa 2000. Black was higher demand then, a friend and I both got white at the same time.
The 116520 arrived later that year and white was still less popular, I traded for one of those. In 2004 I had an opportunity to get a black so traded up for that.
When the 116500 debuted in 2016 white then seemed to be the “it” watch and calling it a panda when it’s not started. After having had both prior my preference was black and still is.
Contrary to some experiences here when I was told by my SA that I could get a SS Daytona in 2019, I was told I could have either, the only difference was the wait. The AD got equal amounts of each but had more people asking for the white, wait for black “within a year,” wait for white 1.5 years. I chose black and got it nine months later.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 02:04 AM   #4
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Exhibition only is your friend.

Find one and go try it on. Do what I did.. I walked into my AD and succinctly said “I am going to buy a 226570 white dial from a trusted gray seller but want to make sure 42mm isn’t too big for me my risk, I want to try on the exhibition piece”.

I did..

When I was walking out, my SA told me that he felt comfortable he could have one in a just a month or two if I wanted. I love buying new so I said sure. It was about 3-4 months but he delivered and now I have a full five year warranty, a little more spend history and got some yummy chocolates.

Now, this won’t happen with a Daytona, but my point is, go try one on. They are small compared to a Speedy so you want to know what you are dropping 30 large on.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 02:58 AM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

You really need to try them both and see how you feel.

For me, white was a clear winner. It just all works, contrasting dial with sub dial and bezel.

As a curve ball, you should look into the WG blue dial. If you just want one Daytona, it would be that one for me. The WG feels quite special and the blue dial is more interesting to me.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 04:37 AM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Exhibition only is your friend.

Find one and go try it on. Do what I did.. I walked into my AD and succinctly said “I am going to buy a 226570 white dial from a trusted gray seller but want to make sure 42mm isn’t too big for me my risk, I want to try on the exhibition piece”.

I did..

When I was walking out, my SA told me that he felt comfortable he could have one in a just a month or two if I wanted. I love buying new so I said sure. It was about 3-4 months but he delivered and now I have a full five year warranty, a little more spend history and got some yummy chocolates.

Now, this won’t happen with a Daytona, but my point is, go try one on. They are small compared to a Speedy so you want to know what you are dropping 30 large on.
Now that's a success story!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 06:49 AM   #7
MplsMN
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the reply guys!

That’s what I’ve been doing; going into authorized dealers in Las Vegas, in Miami, in Chicago, and also here locally and there have been no Daytona exhibition models to try on, so I’m kind of flying blind here 😩
MplsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 06:55 AM   #8
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
We have both dials, white dial (not a Panda) 116520 which is my wife's daily, and my recent pickup of 126500 black dial.

Each dial has its own beauty and merits. You should really try it and see which one suits your interest better. I wanted a black dial and was lucky to get one. I would not have said no to the white Panda dial, but black was my preference (and I understand many others prefer the Panda dial).

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 07:46 AM   #9
77T

I have had many Daytonas.

For the new ceramic, I was on a list for the black but alas didn't live long enough to get it. I don't mean I expired, I mean the AD lost his Rolex OJ status before delivering.

I can tell you the light blue was the best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 07:49 AM   #10
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I have a 116500 w/ black dial and a 126500 w/ white dial. I honestly don't have a real preference. They are both beautiful - the white dial is bright and cheerful - the black dial is sleek and slick. Honestly you can't go wrong!
Old 14 September 2024, 10:13 AM   #11
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
If you’re referring to the previous gen Daytona the 116520, I will pick the black dial. Initially I had white because all my other watches were black dials but later on I traded it to black because I find it more elegant & suitable for day to day wear. Downside, a little bit harder to read the time. If it’s the 116500 I will also choose the black dial.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:39 PM   #12
goldmaes
"TRF" Member

I went with White Gold and Racing dial and have not regretted it for a second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5576.jpeg (145.7 KB, 382 views)
Franck Muller Vanguard Yachting Breitling Chronomat Shula LE
goldmaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:45 PM   #13
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmaes View Post
I went with White Gold and Racing dial and have not regretted it for a second.

Great pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 10:59 PM   #14
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
It's all about personal preference.
Old 15 September 2024, 12:20 AM   #15
OpenSix
"TRF" Member

The sliver racing dial is my favorite Daytona
OpenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 07:30 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's more popular, but I wouldn't say nicer. Look at a bunch of pictures of each to get an idea and then go try on an exhibition piece, or one from a gray dealer. It's the only you'll ever know what your actual preference is.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 01:16 PM   #17
goldmaes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Great pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Franck Muller Vanguard Yachting Breitling Chronomat Shula LE
goldmaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 05:02 PM   #18
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

When I started collecting the black dial daytona was so hot in Japan that the White dial was the easy one to get and I live in Europe. lol.

They both look good. Buy what you like.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 05:31 PM   #19
Bambooshoot
"TRF" Member

I agree with those that have advised you to try it on. I have found over the years that watches I lusted over, weren't as good in the metal and/or didn't suit me. The reverse has also been true, particularly with my rose gold Daytona...

It wasn't on my radar at all (no Daytona was) but when I visited my AD earlier this year he brought one out for me to try on and I was blown away. Put my name down for one as I wanted a special piece this year to mark a milestone in my business and he delivered soon after. Mine is the black dial and it is absolutely awesome.

Keep us posted on your journey.
Bambooshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 05:49 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I have had many Daytonas.

For the new ceramic, I was on a list for the black but alas didn't live long enough to get it. I don't mean I expired, I mean the AD lost his Rolex OJ status before delivering.

I can tell you the light blue was the best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Never been a big daytona fan myself, except for working on the 4130 movements because they're amazing.
But the platona is truly something else
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 01:40 AM   #21
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I have both, White and Black … to me …

the Black Dial is the better looking of the two …

the White Dial is the more interesting looking of the two.

I like them both … there’s really no clear cut winner.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote