The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
Pricing Errors

First Error:

Drive de Cartier - retail price: £5350. Misprice in shop window: £4080
Went to buy the item in the shop and the sales person would not honour the price in the window

SD43 in Watchfinder - £7500. Offered to take it and then they realised it was priced incorrectly compared to the one sitting right next to it and soon asked for the full £11k.

Have you come across any pricing errors and have you been able to take advantage of them?
Shakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
First Error:

Went to buy the item in the shop and the sales person would not honour the price in the window

SD43 in Watchfinder - £7500. Offered to take it and then they realised it was priced incorrectly compared to the one sitting right next to it and soon asked for the full £11k.

Have you come across any pricing errors and have you been able to take advantage of them?
If an item is priced incorrectly on the shelf or in window or net, or scans at the wrong price at the till, retailers are under no obligation to honour it, under the Sale of Goods Act. They can offer the item at the correct price or refuse your money and withdraw the product from sale.

If a pricing mistake is not noticed and the customer pays for an item at the reduced cost, the purchase is considered a legally binding contract between the retailer and the customer. The shop has no legal right to claw back any money if it later realises there has been an error.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:26 AM   #3
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
Honest mistake or switch and bait tactic...
jcdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:39 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I once got a wolf range for 3500 instead of 4900 because the retailer quoted me an outgoing model price. The difference is I had the deal written up in store and already handed over my credit card agreeing to purchase. The guy quoted me via email before I came it.

He tried to walk it back but I contacted management claiming bait and switch and they honored it.

I didn’t feel too bad because I was also doing a lot of other business with them for my kitchen and referred a 100k deal afterwards to them.
Old 18 August 2018, 12:39 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
On the SD43 you should have coolly asked for a discount, then you might have gotten away with it, but dripping saliva all over the salesman probably alerted him.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:43 AM   #6
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
On the SD43 you should have coolly asked for a discount, then you might have gotten away with it, but dripping saliva all over the salesman probably alerted him.
I was full on 'gollum' mode... precious!

Shakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
First Error:

Being in retail my self: you should have took a picture then gone and bought the watch, legally they have to let you buy the item it is marked up for. I would get the person name that said it is the wrong price and write a letter to there head office, you may get a bit of luck and buy the watch at what is was priced at or a discount voucher for your next purchase, you have nothing to loose. I would be interested on how you get on. Also remember most shops have CCTV to back up what you are saying. Good Luck.
Rogrmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:54 AM   #8
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogrmo View Post
Being in retail my self: you should have took a picture then gone and bought the watch, legally they have to let you buy the item it is marked up for. I would get the person name that said it is the wrong price and write a letter to there head office, you may get a bit of luck and buy the watch at what is was priced at or a discount voucher for your next purchase, you have nothing to loose. I would be interested on how you get on. Also remember most shops have CCTV to back up what you are saying. Good Luck.
No they don't. And if you are in retail I would strongly advise reading up on the law

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:58 AM   #9
T01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeng View Post
Honest mistake or switch and bait tactic...
x2
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:00 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

"A display of goods for sale in a shop window or within a shop is an invitation to treat, as in the Boots case, a leading case concerning supermarkets. The shop owner is thus not obliged to sell the goods, even if signage such as "special offer" accompanies the display."
Old 18 August 2018, 01:06 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Not true with the sale of goods act.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
No they don't. And if you are in retail I would strongly advise reading up on the law
Thank you for advising me on reading up on the consumer law.

There are number of layers of the law you can relie on when retailers price things wrong in there shops, NOT JUST THE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT one of the layers is Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (the retailer could have priced it wrong to get you in the shop)and there is many more, I will not go into it in depth to be shot down again.

PLEASE NOTE NO WHERE HAVE I ADVISED TO TAKE THE RETAIL TO COURT FOR WRONG PRICING, I WOULD ADISED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE INCORRECT PRICE, THEN TRY AND BUY THE WATCH, AND THEN SEND A COMPLAINT LETTER TO THE HEAD OFFICE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE.
Old 18 August 2018, 01:38 AM   #13
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
It actually happened to me this week also.
I bought a cordless drill from an online retailer, it was on clearence and when I added it to the basket it got reduced even more.
When I went to pick it up, they refused to give it to me, saying there was an error on the web site with the price, even though they have already taken the money from my account.
Now, to make things worse, I have to wait for 14 days for a refund. I was fuming...
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:41 AM   #14
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
After you pay for the item, they have no right to take it back.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:50 AM   #15
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

If talking about misleading signage or promotion material, I once did a banner for a pub that said "Free Drink Here Tomorrow".
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:00 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I shop for items not prices
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:05 AM   #17
normalboywatches
Banned

The price of an item, in UK law, is “an invitation to buy”, it is in no way legally binding. The invitation to buy can be amended, withdrawn or altered at any point prior to the actual transaction of money and goods changing hands.

So basically it doesn’t matter what the items price is displayed at, and it is up to the individual companies good will or otherwise to honour that display price if incorrect. They are under no legal obligation to do so.
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:07 AM   #18
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I shop for items not prices
You are too rich, give some to us regular people.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:40 AM   #19
Dazlewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post
The price of an item, in UK law, is “an invitation to buy”, it is in no way legally binding. The invitation to buy can be amended, withdrawn or altered at any point prior to the actual transaction of money and goods changing hands.

So basically it doesn’t matter what the items price is displayed at, and it is up to the individual companies good will or otherwise to honour that display price if incorrect. They are under no legal obligation to do so.
It’s not treated as an invitation to buy, it is an invitation to treat (quaint word for come to an agreement). The marked price basically means the seller is open to negotiating a sale and that is the seller’s starting point, if you offer the price, the seller can decide whether to accept or decline.

An invitation to buy would be an offer to sell, rather than an invitation to engage in a negotiation about selling, and that would be binding if accepted. E.g. if the item is marked £100 and you offer £100 the seller can refuse. If the seller says I am offering to sell you this for £100, and you accept, the seller cannot refuse.

This is governed by contract law.
Dazlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:47 AM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Oh dear, you need to brush up.

Absolutely no legal obligation to honour a pricing error.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:10 AM   #21
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Oh dear, you need to brush up.

Absolutely no legal obligation to honour a pricing error.
I need to brush up, please read my second post, there is many number a layers regarding consumer law, the average jo releys on consumer act 2015,

Please name me each layer, I will help you p, there is up to 7 layers p, consumer act 2015 is one, please list the other 6.
Old 18 August 2018, 05:16 AM   #22
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
I need to brush up, please read my second post, there is many number a layers regarding consumer law, the average jo releys on consumer act 2015,

Please name me each layer, I will help you p, there is up to 7 layers p, consumer act 2015 is one, please list the other 6.
I wish you where right - but you are not

Invitation to give an offer is the right path, unless you can give evidence that incorrect pricing is a modus operandum.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:18 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I once saw a cheeseburger on sale for £3 and the cheese inside was the size of a postage stamp.
Old 18 August 2018, 05:19 AM   #24
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazlewis View Post
It’s not treated as an invitation to buy, it is an invitation to treat (quaint word for come to an agreement). The marked price basically means the seller is open to negotiating a sale and that is the seller’s starting point, if you offer the price, the seller can decide whether to accept or decline.

An invitation to buy would be an offer to sell, rather than an invitation to engage in a negotiation about selling, and that would be binding if accepted. E.g. if the item is marked £100 and you offer £100 the seller can refuse. If the seller says I am offering to sell you this for £100, and you accept, the seller cannot refuse.

This is governed by contract law.
You have just said the same thing:

An offer to treat- “if you offer the price the seller can decide whether to accept or decline”.

An offer to buy/an offer to sell- “if the item is marked £100 and you offer £100 the seller can refuse”

In both examples you have just said the seller can decline anything offered, even though that offer may be marked price. So I was originally correct- the displayed price is not contractual, and can be amended or withdrawn at any time (or refused/declines by the seller). Thanks.
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:59 AM   #25
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In both examples you have just said the seller can decline anything offered, even though that offer may be marked price. So I was originally correct- the displayed price is not contractual, and can be amended or withdrawn at any time (or refused/declines by the seller). Thanks.
He wasn't disagreeing with your conclusions -- he was just pointing out that "buy" and "treat" are not the same thing, and you had used the former when it should have been the latter.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:02 AM   #26
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Pricing Errors

A lot of law written on retail regulations is designed to eliminate fraud. This is true across the globe.

To prevail on any of the various examples above, one would need to produce some evidence that the retailer was guilty of:
- intentional misrepresentation of facts or price
- with knowledge of its falsehood
- for the purpose of inducing a sale
- which the other person relied upon
- and resulted in some injury or damage

Sometimes the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:06 AM   #27
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or you can just be a decent person and just acknowledge they made a mistake instead of trying to get handouts.
smym18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:20 AM   #28
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Happened to me a couple years ago. I was shopping for bicycle saddle.
Come across Selle SMP carbon version that cost everywhere else $450.00 but this store was selling for $250.00 mistakenly as for regular none carbon model.
I purchased it over they website with my CC. Day later I received email form owner saying that I'm luckiest person in the world to get saddle for this price due to they mistake. They honor the price and I received the saddle.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 07:26 AM   #29
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

The laws are pretty lax on these errors, even more so when it comes to internet transactions where there is nobody to catch the error before the actual purchase.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 07:48 AM   #30
yuk0nxl1
"TRF" Member

I remember Bloomingdales once had a pricing error where all watches were marked 60% off on their website.... Including Tag Heuer. I contemplated the latest Limited Edition Monaco at the time but ultimately passed. From what I heard, they honor the price to those who only ordered one watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuk0nxl1 is offline   Reply With Quote